C Engelmann

Default Who invented boil-in-bag rice?

Well, in Germany it appeared about 1970, under the name "Reis-Fit".
But the company who presented it doesn't claim to have invented it.
So who was the first?

Thanks!
-Carsten
Lazarus Cooke

Must say I've never seen the point

Remover the rock from the email address
Kate Dicey

C Engelmann wrote:

> Well, in Germany it appeared about 1970, under the name "Reis-Fit".
> But the company who presented it doesn't claim to have invented it.
> So who was the first?
>
> Thanks!
> -Carsten

Uncle Ben's? They seem to have murdered rice in every other way...

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Wayne Boatwright

C Engelmann > wrote in
:

> Well, in Germany it appeared about 1970, under the name "Reis-Fit".
> But the company who presented it doesn't claim to have invented it.
> So who was the first?
>
> Thanks!
> -Carsten

I believe it was the Riviana company in Louisiana. They are the makers of
Success Boil-In-Bag Rice.

Wayne
C Engelmann

Hi Wayne and others,

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>I believe it was the Riviana company in Louisiana. They are the makers of
>Success Boil-In-Bag Rice.

I contacted them but unfortunately they don't reply. On their homepage
they say they introduced it 1977 which ist far too late for having
invented it.
Well, I don't recommend it I'm just curious about this kind of food
innovations.

-Carsten

Barry Popik

Newspaperarchive.com is a database of regional newspapers from all
over the United States, and a few other countries as well. You can
get the thumbnails (below) for free, but it is a subscription service.
It doesn't cost much to subscribe. The service was vastly improved
last December, making searching easier. Regional American newspapers
are important sources for regional American food.

The earliest "boil-in-bag" and "boil-in-the-bag" are both from 1958.

I don't want to post here every day (I already do somewhere else), but
you might want to know that many years ago, I solved the "hot dog"
(although my work is usually credited to Bruce Kraig), and then I've
traveled to over 90 countries and have done thousands of food
etymologies and...oh, never mind.

Barry Popik

(WWW.NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
Van Nuys News - 10/15/1959
....air Frozen Bel-air Economy Pack Fradelit "BOIL-IN-BAG" Quick Meal
Ideas Manor House.....Boneless m SAKWAY CANDI-CANE SUGAR 5-lb. BAG 33
with this coupon Good Sun. Oct. 15, 18.....17, 18 At Safewayt IN Lot
Angeles and Orange Countiei, plus San..
Van Nuys, California Thursday, October 15, 1959 362 k
Pg. 2-B Safeway supermarket ad:
Beef Stew
Fradelis "Boil-in-Bag"
2 10-oz. pkgs. 89c

Valley News - 3/6/1958
....FLAVOR AUD VARIETY LD EXTRA NIPPY LASCCO BOIL IN BAG FINNAN HADDiE
O'SO TENDER MEATS..
Van Nuys, California Thursday, March 06, 1958 405 k
Pg. 5-C supermarket ad:
LASCCO . BOIL IN BAG
FINNAN HADDIE

Times Recorder - 6/26/1960
....of mashed potatoes and a paslry shell. BOIL-IN-BAG items INcluded
broccoli.....black. They come IN fINe graINed leathers, IN brushed and
suedes, IN waxed fINishes.....two heavily-breaded fish steak dINners,
one IN lobster sauce and the other, IN shrimp.....as an elementary
school teacher at Philo IN the fall. While IN college the bride was..
Zanesville, Ohio Sunday, June 26, 1960 692 k

Salisbury Times - 12/27/1961
....of expansion of THE already fast growINg BOIL-INTHE-BAG sales. THEy
also count on.....IN THE BAG. Fowler says THE BOIL-IN-THE-BAG special
diets for hospital or home use.....THE Modern Foods Council says 100
million BOIL-IN-THE-BAG units were sold this year.....Phone PI 9-5432
Frozen Vegetables Come IN BOIL-ln-THE-BAG Pack By SAM DAWSON AP..
Salisbury, Maryland Wednesday, December 27, 1961 684 k

Gettysburg Times - 12/27/1961
....of expansion of THE already fast growINg BOIL-INTHE-BAG sales. THEy
also count on.....GREETINGS Once IN an old time picture book My faTHEr
called on me to look Upon a.....IN THE BAG. Fowler says THE
BOIL-IN-THE-BAG prINciple makes possible packINg special.....THE
Modern Foods Council says 100 million BOIL-IN-THE-BAG units were sold
this year..
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Wednesday, December 27, 1961 752 k

Newark Advocate - 12/27/1961
....100 food items so packaged Fowler says THE BOIL-IN-THE-BAG :bv
atxju 40 food processors.....cook frozen raw foods and lhe 100 million
BOIL-IN-THE-BAG units _ THE vitamIN content.....remaINder goINg back m
to buv BOIL-INtTHE-BAG foods. flage; a Face: 1 :00-Day IN Court.....of
expansion ;of THE already fast growINg BOIL-INCan Co. which supplies
polyethyhhe-BAG..
Newark, Ohio Wednesday, December 27, 1961 530 k

Jefferson Bee - 4/26/1960
....IN INdividual por tions will be IN new BOIL-IN-THE-BAG plastic
contaINers. THEy can.....or heated IN water withou removINg THE BAG.
accordINg to Jewel Graham, extension.....is to be published IN THE
ballotINg Friday IN THE IN a medical journal IN THE near.....off. THE
route brought all of THEm back to THE Rrenneman home as THE fINish
lINe. It..
Jefferson, Iowa Tuesday, April 26, 1960 636 k

Zanesville Signal - 11/19/1958
....IN THE development stage. THEre are BOIL-IN-THE-BAG vegetables. You
drop THE specially.....treated BAG IN BOILINg water for 10 mINutes and
out.....live arc IN THEir late 50's. 60's and even THE 70's. Yet IN
our focus upon THE thINgs of.....suffered most cruelly IN World War I.
IN THE grINdINg trench warfare of THE era..
Zanesville, Ohio Wednesday, November 19, 1958 731 k
Pg. 7?, col. 5:
Some clever packaging items are showing up these days and a lot of
others are in the development stage.
There are boil-in-the-bag vegetables. You drop the
specially-treated bag in boiling water for 10 minutes and out comes an
individual serving ready to eat.

Van Nuys News - 9/24/1959
....IN BAG Eroren Roiis Fradelis "BOIL IN THE BAG" Frozen SPAGHETTI
MEAT BALLS OR TASTY.....lation. I and 30 of his colleagues, is '2. THE
sharp upturn IN busi-J pendINg IN THE.....ThIN column by THE
ROTemINent division of THE National Association of and THE views
ex.....v, ami ei i id VPI 'IN; thp fi. uni'.n HUM, IN uenei mdii-try
a, a long Ftf IN i IIP l..
Van Nuys, California Thursday, September 24, 1959 463 k

Monroe County News - 2/21/1966
....He also foresaw the INtroduction of BOIL-IN-BAG home-style foods
that normally.....s for MedicINe Davis PaINt Store Duncan Book Storo
GROCERS Hy-Vee Food Storo United.....They would INclude corn on the
cob. RICE, and pasta. If the market becomes big.....PAINTS WALLPAPER
Davis PaINt Storo Dvncan Book Storo SHOES A. and A. Shoe Store Ralph
N..
Albia, Iowa Monday, February 21, 1966 310 k
Pg. 5, col. 1:
Cosgrove, president of Green Giant Co., mentioned the steadily
growing popularity of ethnic foods such as Italian, Chinese and
Mexican, and speculated that sauced foods, widely used in French
cookery, would lend themselves especially well to freezer processing.
He also foresaw the introduction of boil-in-bag home-style foods
that normally are boiled in preparation. They would include corn on
the cob, rice, and pasta.

Washington Post - 11/27/1911
....IN the eggs. Knead all together and BOIL IN BAG four hourfc. The
puddINg can be kept.....ali Air Cushions, IN leather oases, each. Book
and MagalINe Cov ers, each. Fitted.....PAGE. Jewel, a paINtINg, a
statue or a book will fetch. These gems have been brought.....this
statement, but Otero cried, mort IN dignantly IN court: believe IN the
Bible..
Washington, District Of Columbia

(TRADEMARKS)
Word Mark BOIL 'N BAG
Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 029. US 046. G & S: PREPARED MEAT
AND POULTRY ENTREES. FIRST USE: 19771111. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE:
19771111(CANCELLED) IC 030. US 046. G & S: PREPARED PASTA ENTREES.
FIRST USE: 19771111. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19771111
Mark Drawing Code (3) DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS
Design Search Code 110313 190725
Serial Number 73152043
Filing Date December 14, 1977
Current Filing Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Registration Number 1139272
Registration Date September 2, 1980
Owner (REGISTRANT) GREEN GIANT COMPANY CORPORATION DELAWARE HAZELTINE
GATES CHASKA MINNESOTA 55318
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "BAG" APART
FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD