Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What Did People Use Before These Were Invented ???

When I saw the first one of these,
I thought they had to be kidding.
A toast holder? But doing an eBay
search seems to confirm there really
is such a thing:

http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40

There's even a dollhouse-sized version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 9:26?pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

Fancy schmancy hotels use toast holders, cruise ships too... and they
work... when toast is stacked flat one upon the other in a pile it
goes soggy, toast holders keep toast crisp.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My mother tells the story of being on the QEII. Never having seen a
toast holder before, she and my father were enchanted with the idea.
The toast didn't get soggy from condensation on the plate. Before
leaving, they asked the waiter if they could buy one from the cruise
line. His answer was "does Madame have her pocketbook?"

When she brought it home, I thought it was useless too but quickly liked
the idea. It's no weirder than a special little eggcup or different
size plates for different purposes. When you think about it, even a
saucer with a cup-sized indentation so the cup doesn't slide around is a
pretty specialized.

--Lia

Mark Thorson wrote:
> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> My mother tells the story of being on the QEII. Never having seen a
> toast holder before, she and my father were enchanted with the idea.
> The toast didn't get soggy from condensation on the plate. Before
> leaving, they asked the waiter if they could buy one from the cruise
> line. His answer was "does Madame have her pocketbook?"

Great answer! Except it wasn't his to give away (or suggest she steal)

> When she brought it home, I thought it was useless too but quickly
> liked the idea. It's no weirder than a special little eggcup or
> different size plates for different purposes. When you think about
> it, even a saucer with a cup-sized indentation so the cup doesn't
> slide around is a pretty specialized.

With the exception of the occasional cup of tea using one of my
grandmother's lovely antique bone china tea cups, I never see anyone cups
with saucers anymore. I only use do because they remind me of her (she used
to collect them, usually individually, in all sorts of different and
interesting patterns).

Jill

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> When I saw the first one of these,
>> I thought they had to be kidding.
>> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
>> search seems to confirm there really
>> is such a thing:
>>
>> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>>
>> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

Do what I've been doing since I first started making toast - stick a fork in
the toast and the toast stands up like a bike with a kickstand. If you have
two pieces, lean them together so they stand. No damp toast!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark wrote on Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:26:06 -0700:

http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40

MT> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:

On the other hand, most Americans prefer warm toast unlike the
British. A toast-holder is an efficient toast-cooler :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

They look like they'd make good rib racks (well, some of them do).

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:

> Do what I've been doing since I first started making toast - stick a fork in
> the toast and the toast stands up like a bike with a kickstand. If you have
> two pieces, lean them together so they stand. No damp toast!

Those of us what got couth use them toast racks, boy. Your method is
like getting up from the table with a lapful of crumbs and food smeared
on your sleeve.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:
>When I saw the first one of these,
>I thought they had to be kidding.
>A toast holder? But doing an eBay
>search seems to confirm there really
>is such a thing:
>
>http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
>There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

British classic tableware.

And brilliant.

I hate how toast sweats on a plate and ruins its crunch.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 9:26 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

I hate to upset your applecart, but I believe I saw these toast
holders at either BJ's or Costco or some such place, or some of the
online sites very recently. I don't believe they've stopped selling
these; perhaps I'm wrong.

The only reason I wouldn't use one, is that I use a tablecloth, and
shaking off the crumbs for a few slices of toast is too much trouble.
Putting a dish underneath it would entail a large space. I suppose you
could find a tray to put under it -- Eating can be a messy business -
I just stack my toast in a glass bowl, haphazardly, so as not to
create all the condensation. Anyway, it's gone in a minute or two.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 3:26 am, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:

They have been around forever. The house we're staying in has a few
really old ones on the kitchen fireplace mantel. They were invented
in England, no doubt, to insure crisp, ice cold toast.

gloria p
g, d, & r

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:

"does Madame have her pocketbook?"

> Great answer! Except it wasn't his to give away (or suggest she steal)

I thought of that at the time, even when I was a kid. I knew my parents
would never steal and talked to them about it. Their answer was, and I
believe them, that it WAS his to give away. A certain amount of stuff
on a cruise line that big was there for the taking as souvenirs. They
didn't advertise the fact, but when the waiter was asked, he assured
them it was O.K. He probably had a certain amount of leeway. If giving
away a cheap, mass-produced, toast holder was what it would take to make
this one couple happily tell all their friends about what a great trip
they had, he was allowed to do it.

> With the exception of the occasional cup of tea using one of my
> grandmother's lovely antique bone china tea cups, I never see anyone cups
> with saucers anymore.

True, they're considered old-fashioned now. My boyfriend's mother still
uses them, but we drink all hot beverages out of ceramic mugs now. To
me, they're very elegant. And I collect one from each artist so they
don't match.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> Davlo wrote:
>>
>> Do what I've been doing since I first started making toast - stick a fork
>> in the toast and the toast stands up like a bike with a kickstand. If you
>> have two pieces, lean them together so they stand. No damp toast!

> Those of us what got couth use them toast racks, boy. Your method is like
> getting up from the table with a lapful of crumbs and food smeared on your
> sleeve.

I do that with *my* toast before it gets to the table - I'd never present it
that way for others. But what did your last comment mean? Are you saying
that some people *don't* have food smeared all over their sleeve and crumbs
in their laps? Next you'll be telling me that it's wrong to wipe my mouth
with the tablecloth...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Davlo wrote:
> "Pennyaline" > wrote in message
>> Davlo wrote:
>>> Do what I've been doing since I first started making toast - stick a fork
>>> in the toast and the toast stands up like a bike with a kickstand. If you
>>> have two pieces, lean them together so they stand. No damp toast!

>> Those of us what got couth use them toast racks, boy. Your method is like
>> getting up from the table with a lapful of crumbs and food smeared on your
>> sleeve.

> I do that with *my* toast before it gets to the table - I'd never present it
> that way for others. But what did your last comment mean? Are you saying
> that some people *don't* have food smeared all over their sleeve and crumbs
> in their laps? Next you'll be telling me that it's wrong to wipe my mouth
> with the tablecloth...

'Course it is, boy! That's wheres the food on your sleeves is from!

Now let's talk about that part about "gets to the table"... does you
shoo the chickens off it before or after?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> When I saw the first one of these,
> I thought they had to be kidding.
> A toast holder? But doing an eBay
> search seems to confirm there really
> is such a thing:
>
> http://search.ebay.com/toast-holder_...Zm37QQfromZR40
>
> There's even a dollhouse-sized version:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ190126909496

They used to be very common, i still have an old gas stove "toaster"
that hold 4 slices of bread and sits on top of a gas burner.

Now what i want is a solid silver chicken leg holder to go with my
silver asparagus tongs.
--
JL