Posted to rec.food.historic

Default question re steaming (as in puddings)

Oh no! Another question. I have been going through some of my
books from England, Australia, Canada, etc. Of course, I know
about classic steamed puddings, but I started wondering why in the
United States we generally don't steam such things, even though
that would be part of the cooking heritage of much of the East
Coast, at the very least.

--
Jean B.
Member

Location: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean B.[_1_] View Post
Oh no! Another question. I have been going through some of my
books from England, Australia, Canada, etc. Of course, I know
about classic steamed puddings, but I started wondering why in the
United States we generally don't steam such things, even though
that would be part of the cooking heritage of much of the East
Coast, at the very least.

--
Jean B.
That's a good question, Jean. I'm Australian and I was brought up on steamed pudding, one of my absolute favourite desserts. Mum used to put golden syrup in the bottom of the basin so when she turned out the pudding the syrup ran down the sides. But one type of dessert that seems popular in the USA is sweet pies, such as Key Lime Pie and Pecan Pie and even Pumpkin Pie. We never had those (or even heard of them) when I was growing up all those years ago!
Mrs B