Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Live Lobster..How to make Lobster with cheese ??

So I am ready to buy a live Lobster and would love to be able to make
Losbster Thermadore (Or how ever you call it).. Lobster with melted
cheese.

Please help me make this lovely dish..

Cheers..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thebestpetsitter wrote:
> So I am ready to buy a live Lobster and would love to be able to make
> Losbster Thermadore (Or how ever you call it).. Lobster with melted
> cheese.
>
> Please help me make this lovely dish..
>
> Cheers..

Lobster thermidor is made with a cream sauce flavoured with mustard, no
cheese.

Coquilles de homard mornay is made with sauce mornay which contains
cheese, both parmesan and gruyere. Let me know if you would like the
complete recipe.

IMO the homard de mornay is an overly elaborate preparation for lobster
and, again, imo, fresh lobster should be enjoyed as simply as possible.
Split the lobster in half lengthways, season and gently grill, then
remove the flesh from the shell and cut into fairly thick slices on the
slant, serve with lemon and melted butter.

Homard a la Broche is cooked on a spit and basted with butter and
champagne for about 40 minutes for a 2 lb. lobster. This is sometimes
served with a sauce ravigote or a more elaborate sauce made with the
butter and champagne from the dripping pan the lobster was basted with.

There are many variations on cooking lobster with stock and wines and
served with various sauces, lobster mousse, lobster souffle etc.

At the risk of agreeing with "sheldon" i would admit cheese is not the
best ingredient to use with lobster.

If you must use cheese with lobster (non de gustibus est there are
many, recipes on the net, including, believe it or not a lobster
cheesecake, lobster mac & cheese, lobster & cheese casserole and a
lobster and cheese ravioli that actually don't look that bad.

"Lobster Ravioli
----------------
Fresh cheese & lobster ravioli prepared in a light
marinara sauce with shrimp, a touch of cream,
pecorino romano and parmesan cheese."
---
Joseph Littleshoes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
> thebestpetsitter wrote:
> > So I am ready to buy a live Lobster and would love to be able to make
> > Losbster Thermadore (Or how ever you call it).. Lobster with melted
> > cheese.
> >
> > Please help me make this lovely dish..
> >
> > Cheers..
> >

> Lobster thermidor is made with a cream sauce flavoured with mustard, no
> cheese.
> <snip>
> At the risk of agreeing with "sheldon" i would admit cheese is not the
> best ingredient to use with lobster.
>
> If you must use cheese with lobster (non de gustibus est there are
> many, recipes on the net, including, believe it or not a lobster
> cheesecake, lobster mac & cheese, lobster & cheese casserole and a
> lobster and cheese ravioli that actually don't look that bad.
>
> "Lobster Ravioli
> ----------------
> Fresh cheese & lobster ravioli prepared in a light
> marinara sauce with shrimp, a touch of cream,
> pecorino romano and parmesan cheese."

Thank you, Joesph...... at best lobster thermidor is a heavy, old
fashioned dish. Even though I'm not a big fan of tomato sauce with
seafood (choppino is good), your alternative sounds wonderful. However
- lobsters are expensive, so they aren't in any danger of me
introducing one to a tomato.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
>>thebestpetsitter wrote:
>>
>>>So I am ready to buy a live Lobster and would love to be able to make
>>>Losbster Thermadore (Or how ever you call it).. Lobster with melted
>>>cheese.
>>>
>>>Please help me make this lovely dish..
>>>
>>>Cheers..
>>>

>>Lobster thermidor is made with a cream sauce flavoured with mustard, no
>>cheese.
>><snip>
>>At the risk of agreeing with "sheldon" i would admit cheese is not the
>>best ingredient to use with lobster.
>>
>>If you must use cheese with lobster (non de gustibus est there are
>>many, recipes on the net, including, believe it or not a lobster
>>cheesecake, lobster mac & cheese, lobster & cheese casserole and a
>>lobster and cheese ravioli that actually don't look that bad.
>>
>>"Lobster Ravioli
>>----------------
>>Fresh cheese & lobster ravioli prepared in a light
>>marinara sauce with shrimp, a touch of cream,
>>pecorino romano and parmesan cheese."

> Thank you, Joesph...... at best lobster thermidor is a heavy, old
> fashioned dish. Even though I'm not a big fan of tomato sauce with
> seafood (choppino is good), your alternative sounds wonderful. However
> - lobsters are expensive, so they aren't in any danger of me
> introducing one to a tomato.

I get a good price on frozen lobster tails that i will use in more
complex recipes, but when it comes to fresh lobster i think it is so
tasty on its own i don't like to obscure it with a lot of other
ingredients, lemon, garlic, butter are about the extent of any additions
i will make to fresh lobster. Though i have had a lobster mayonnaise
that was quite good i have never made it myself.
---
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
>Thank you, Joesph...... at best lobster thermidor is a heavy, old
>fashioned dish. Even though I'm not a big fan of tomato sauce with
>seafood (choppino is good), your alternative sounds wonderful. However
>- lobsters are expensive, so they aren't in any danger of me
>introducing one to a tomato.

Bisque.

--Blair