Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chopped lobster recipes... kill the lobster first?

I went to the kitchen to tell my wife about a Superbowl factoid they
just aired and saw that in her preparation for a lobster dish she had
hacked off a lobster's two claws without killing the lobster first. It
wasn't moving at this point but I highly doubt it was dead just from
the removal of its two claws.

I told her to at least chop the head off first to kill it so it
doesn't have to lay there suffering while she slowly dissects it.

So now I'm curious... does anyone do as she does and let the lobster
sit through a methodical dismantling of its body while still alive?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The alMIGHTY N" > wrote in
oups.com:

> I went to the kitchen to tell my wife about a Superbowl factoid they
> just aired and saw that in her preparation for a lobster dish she had
> hacked off a lobster's two claws without killing the lobster first. It
> wasn't moving at this point but I highly doubt it was dead just from
> the removal of its two claws.
>
> I told her to at least chop the head off first to kill it so it
> doesn't have to lay there suffering while she slowly dissects it.
>
> So now I'm curious... does anyone do as she does and let the lobster
> sit through a methodical dismantling of its body while still alive?

No.

I'd say your lobsters are the same as ours........ and what we do is put
them in the coldest part of the fridge for a couple of hours, or drop
them into the freezer for about 30mins. That puts them to sleep.

Then you can dismember as you wish, or drop them straight into boiling
water.

This is the best method for our 'Muddies' (Mud Crabs) because then they
don't 'throw' their claws when placed in the boiling water.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 6:35 pm, "The alMIGHTY N" > wrote:
> I went to the kitchen to tell my wife about a Superbowl factoid they
> just aired and saw that in her preparation for a lobster dish she had
> hacked off a lobster's two claws without killing the lobster first. It
> wasn't moving at this point but I highly doubt it was dead just from
> the removal of its two claws.
>
> I told her to at least chop the head off first to kill it so it
> doesn't have to lay there suffering while she slowly dissects it.
>
> So now I'm curious... does anyone do as she does and let the lobster
> sit through a methodical dismantling of its body while still alive?

By all means kill the poor thing FIRST! They do have nerves and a
brain.
To do so...place the pointy end of a sharp knife between the eyes and
push hard thru the shell...one dead lobster results.
Quick kill all crabs the same way before you boil them.
Take care,
Lute