Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Challenge for Lurkers - One Recipe

Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.

My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This recipe amazes even guests who say "Nah....I don't like fish". Use any
fish firm enough to poach without falling apart. Recipe includes text from
the original book. I usually quadruple the garlic, but experiment first.
Also works nicely with shrimp or scallops.

Fish in Crazy Water

PESCE ALL'ACQUA PAZZA

Recipe from "Marcella Cucina" by Marcella Hazan

1 1/2 pounds fresh, ripe tomatoes

4 cups of water

3 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced very thin

2 tablespoons very finely chopped parsley

Chopped red chili pepper, 1/8 teaspoon or to taste, or dried red pepper
flakes

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salt

A 1 1/2- to 2-pound red snapper, filleted with its skin left on

Optional: 4 slices of

day-old or grilled sourdough bread

For 4 persons

One of the most frequently recurring conversational expressions in the
dialect of my native Romagna is anicreid, "I don't believe it." That
skepticism is a characteristic I share with people of my region. When a dish
has a fanciful name, I resist trying it, feeling that it has been dressed up
to cover up a lack of substance. Had it been up to me, I never would have
sampled that Neapolitan creation, fish in crazy water. "What's crazy water
go to do with cooking and anyway, who wants to eat fish in water?" Such were
my thoughts, until my friend from Amalfi, Pierino Jovine, one day simply
brought the dish to the table without asking or telling. Now, I am the one
who goes crazy over it. Water is what brings together all the seasoning
ingredients, the tomatoes, garlic, parsley, chili pepper, salt, and olive
oil. They simmer in it for a full 45 minutes, exchanging and compounding
their flavors, producing a substance that is denser than a broth, looser,
more vivacious, and fresher in taste than any sauce, in which you then cook
the fish.

1.Peel the tomatoes raw using a swiveling-blade vegetable peeler, and chop
them roughly with all their juice and seeds. The yield should be about 2
cups.

2.Choose a saute pan in which the fish fillets can be subsequently fit
flat without overlapping. Put in the water, garlic, chopped tomatoes,
parsley, chili pepper, olive oil, and salt. Cover the pan, turn the heat to
medium, for 45 minutes.

3.Uncover the pan, turn up the heat, and boil the liquid until it has been
reduced to half its original volume.

4.Add the fish, skin facing up. Cook for 2 minutes, then gently turn it
over, using two spatulas. Add a little more salt and cook for another 12
minutes or so. Serve promptly over the optional bread slice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

ACK! ( blush)
Ok, here's a favorite...

Summer Spaghetti

Put your clothes on and go out to the garden and pick...

A couple of ripe tomatoes
A sweet pepper
A handful of basil
Add a sweet onion
Dice or chop all
Add about a half a cup of sliced green salad olives
and *plenty* of shredded mozzarella cheese
salt to taste

Stir it all together and serve over hot spaghetti or linguini dressed with
evoo. The cheese should melt, btw, so if your 'sauce' has been
refrigerated, zap it in the microwave a bit to warm it up and melt the
cheese.

Sorry, I don't measure...it's to taste. You can vary your ingredients to
suit your veggie taste.

(The winter version of this involves substituting frozen basil pesto and
caprese or grape tomatoes).

chipper (turn off that magic monitor now or I'll start calling you Miss
Patty)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:04:56 GMT, "Chipper"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
>> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>>
>> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
>> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>>
>> Carol

>ACK! ( blush)
>Ok, here's a favorite...
>
>Summer Spaghetti
>
>Put your clothes on and go out to the garden and pick...

ROFLMAO!

>A couple of ripe tomatoes
>A sweet pepper
>A handful of basil
>Add a sweet onion
>Dice or chop all
> Add about a half a cup of sliced green salad olives
>and *plenty* of shredded mozzarella cheese
>salt to taste
>
>Stir it all together and serve over hot spaghetti or linguini dressed with
>evoo. The cheese should melt, btw, so if your 'sauce' has been
>refrigerated, zap it in the microwave a bit to warm it up and melt the
>cheese.
>
>Sorry, I don't measure...it's to taste. You can vary your ingredients to
>suit your veggie taste.
>
>(The winter version of this involves substituting frozen basil pesto and
>caprese or grape tomatoes).

This sounds very good. And you've been holding out on us all this
time??? I *demand* more recipes. <stomping bare foot>

>chipper (turn off that magic monitor now or I'll start calling you Miss
>Patty)

It was Miss Betty when I was little (late 50s)

Carol, glad there are no magic monitors out there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress, after taking an infinite amount of time, finally, on
17 Aug 2006, typed out:

> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Attagirl Carol!!!

Drag 'em out of the shadows kicking and screaming!

I hear them milling around and mumbling amongst themselves but my magic
monitor has been on the fritz for ages!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Hi! Here is a favorite recipe. It's delightfully fresh.

Sicilian Fennel & Orange Salad with Red Onion and Mint

2 large navel oranges peeled and segmented, reserving juice for dressing

1 large fennel bulb cored and very thinly sliced

1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion

16 small fresh mint leaves, torn

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 clove garlic crushed

20 oil cured black olives

Combine orange juice, olive oil and garlic. Toss orange segments, fennel,
onion and mint in bowl with dressing to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
Arrange on bed of mixed greens. Top with olives & serve.

Enjoy,

Anita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Okay.... *waves to Jill and Kilikini*
Been lurking for a while, enjoying the chat and picking up some new
recipes. Definitely going to try the Cream of Garlic soup!
DH and I are both scientific illustrators and live in Surrey, England.

Here's a very simple recipe we like to do:

Chicken and Green Peppers
Serves 2

2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into bite-sized chunks
2 green peppers (sweet peppers, bell peppers) or one green + one yellow
for colour. Red is too sweet
1 bouquet garni
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
EVOO for frying
Salt and pepper

In a shallow frying pan put about 2-3 tablespoons EVOO. Fry the onion on
a very low heat until caramelized/golden brown, about 10 mins.
Meanwhile in another pan put 1-2 tablespoons EVOO and fry the chicken
gently until white all over. Turn heat down and add the chopped peppers,
bouquet garni, salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, plus a
splash or two of hot water to moisten the bouquet garni and stop the
food sticking. Stir, and then cover and simmer on a low heat until the
peppers are softened to your preferred texture. (10 mins or so) Stir
from time to time to move the bouquet garni around it. Add a splash more
water if it gets too dry.

Serve on a bed of rice, with the fried onions on top of the chicken and
peppers, accompanied by a cold white wine :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anita Amaro wrote:
> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> > Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> > see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
> >
> > My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> > enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
> >
> > Carol

> Hi! Here is a favorite recipe. It's delightfully fresh.
>
> Sicilian Fennel & Orange Salad with Red Onion and Mint
>

> 2 large navel oranges peeled and segmented, reserving juice for dressing
>
> 1 large fennel bulb cored and very thinly sliced
>
> 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
>
> 16 small fresh mint leaves, torn
>
> 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
>
> 1 clove garlic crushed
>
> 20 oil cured black olives
>

> Combine orange juice, olive oil and garlic. Toss orange segments, fennel,
> onion and mint in bowl with dressing to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
> Arrange on bed of mixed greens. Top with olives & serve.
>

> Enjoy,
>

> Anita

This looks very good! I'll have to try it. I especially like the part
about "Toss the olives and serve". Since I don't like olives, I think
I'll just not buy them in the first place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

LOL ... I guess you could call me a lurker, I've only just signed on to
this group and have been reading back messages ... so here goes for the
requested recipe ...

It's something my mom used to make for special occassions, I still make
it for special occassions or whenever I want a change from the standard
"What's for dinner? Chicken? AGAIN?! How'd you make it THIS time?!"

Cherry Chicken

1 fryer, cut up and flour coated
2 - 3 Tbsps cooking oil
1 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

In skillet brown chicken in hot oil. Ten minutes on each side. Season
with salt and pepper. Drain off excess fat. Combine pie filling, orange
juice, brown sugar, salt, and spices. Pour over browned chicken. Cover
and simmer 20 - 25 minutes or until fork tender.

Now, thats how my mom made it. I do it a little different. First I
take whatever chicken I want (last time I used boneless breast) and
brown it. Then I put it in a casserole dish, pour the sauce over it
and bake it until done. Either way, it's really good!

How's that for a first recipe? *grin*

Michelle

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anita Amaro wrote:

> Hi! Here is a favorite recipe. It's delightfully fresh.
> Sicilian Fennel & Orange Salad with Red Onion and Mint
>
> 2 large navel oranges peeled and segmented, reserving juice for dressing
> 1 large fennel bulb cored and very thinly sliced
> 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
> 16 small fresh mint leaves, torn
> 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
> 1 clove garlic crushed
> 20 oil cured black olives
> Combine orange juice, olive oil and garlic. Toss orange segments, fennel,
> onion and mint in bowl with dressing to coat. Season with salt & pepper.
> Arrange on bed of mixed greens. Top with olives & serve.
> Enjoy,

Oooh, I think I might! It sounds wonderful. I ADORE oil cured black
olives and fennel.
Thanks
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Darn, I thought I'd disconnected that webcam!

And I know I'm not officially a lurker, but that's what I've been doing
lately, so...

Hmm...one recipe?

Okay, here goes...

Spray a pie pan with Pam or smear with butter.
Beat 4-5 eggs and some cream together (did I mention that I don't measure
stuff?) with salt and pepper.
Toss fresh, chopped spinach leaves with diced garlic, diced onions and
sliced mushrooms.
Spread spinach mixture in pie pan.
Sprinkle shredded swiss cheese over spinach mixture.
Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. (It'll seep down evenly after a few
moments)
Top with more swiss cheese if you like.
Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.

I cut this into quarters. 1 quarter is generally the right size for me for
breakfast...or lunch...or dinner. <g> It reheats well in the microwave too.

Lisa Ann

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie Wilson wrote:

> Serve on a bed of rice, with the fried onions on top of the chicken and
> peppers, accompanied by a cold white wine :-)
>
> Deb.
> --
> http://www.scientific-art.com
>
> "He looked a fierce and quarrelsome cat, but claw he never would;
> He only bit the ones he loved, because they tasted good." S. Greenfield

Looks good - thanks ;-) See below for my favorite kitty tune:

http://www.eatmousies.com/intro.html

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Hi. This is Ludmillia. I've been enjoying the postings! Congrats on
having one of the groups that doesn't have the racists and ravers
posting all over the place. The info on injected meats was priceless.
Now I know why I can't get a good sear on meats.

The only thing that I have is "Double Bump Ragout". Take a jar of
your favorite (non meat) spaghetti sauce. Chop one green bell pepper,
two cloves of garlic, one yellow onion. Saute and add the sauce.
Simmer as long as you like. You can also add: browned italian sausage
( I like Raleys, from the in-store butcher. It only takes a half
pound), mushrooms, fresh basil, italian parsley. Experiment with your
own favorites. This makes a huge sauce, with fresh, crisper veggies on
top of the richer stew. And...real cooking skills have been used! Just
hide the jar.

I put some (2-3 servings each) in freezer bags and have it on hand all
the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote:

> Looks good - thanks ;-) See below for my favorite kitty tune:
>
> http://www.eatmousies.com/intro.html

Love it, thanks!! My favourite cat cartoons - brilliant site :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lisa Ann" > wrote

> Spray a pie pan with Pam or smear with butter.
> Beat 4-5 eggs and some cream together (did I mention that I don't measure
> stuff?) with salt and pepper.
> Toss fresh, chopped spinach leaves with diced garlic, diced onions and
> sliced mushrooms.
> Spread spinach mixture in pie pan.
> Sprinkle shredded swiss cheese over spinach mixture.
> Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. (It'll seep down evenly after a

few
> moments)
> Top with more swiss cheese if you like.
> Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.
>
> I cut this into quarters. 1 quarter is generally the right size for me

for
> breakfast...or lunch...or dinner. <g> It reheats well in the microwave

too.

oo, nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

This is outrageously good, and a great company dish!

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU

Makes 2 to 4 servings

4 thin slices of ham
4 slices Swiss cheese
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded thin
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
4 to 6 tablespoons butter
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
3 to 4 tablespoons sour cream

1. Place 1 ham slice and 1 cheese slice on each piece of chicken. Fold
over and secure with a large toothpick. (I roll mine up jelly-roll style.)

2. Dredge in flour. Dip in egg. Roll in cornflake crumbs.

3. In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat and cook
the chicken, uncovered, for 12 minutes or until cooked through. (Karen's
note: Jelly-roll style will take longer, about 20 minutes, and you may want
reduce the heat to medium-low; cover the skillet to help speed up the
cooking.) Turn chicken every few minutes to prevent sticking. When done,
transfer chicken to serving plate. Squeeze lemon or lime juice into the
skillet.

4. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate. Add remaining butter and sour
cream to drippings. Stir and pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve with
asparagus or green beans. (Karen's note: I omit the "remaining butter" and
the sauce turns out just fine.)

(From "Love and Dishes - The Soap Opera Cookbook" - Sydney Penny, Julia
Santos of All My Children)

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 17 Aug 2006 05:31:00p, Helen Harrand meant to say...

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
>> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
>> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>>

> Oh CRAP!!!!!!! You *can* see me!!! BRB.......
>
> ok, now that I have pants on.......

You should probably move your PC out of the bathroom.

>> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
>> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>>
>> Carol

> Am I good for now w/my chicken paprikash and eggplant casserole kinda
> procedure/recipes? I'm looking forward to seeing other folks' recipes
> tho!

You are with me.

I'm not a lurker, but here's a recipe that I haven't made in a very long
time. It originated with Stouffer's when they still had restaurants in
several majoy cities in the US. It's very rich, but also very good.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Stouffer's French Coconut Pie

Recipe By : Stouffer's
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts Pies

4 Eggs
2 c Granulated sugar
1 t Cider vinegar
1 t Vanilla extract
1 1/3 Sticks butter or margarine
5 1/3 oz Can Baker's coconut
1 Unbaked 9" pie shell

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter or margarine, set aside. Beat
eggs slightly, thirty seconds to one minute. Add sugar, vinegar, and
vanilla and beat until well combined, about one minute. Add melted
butter or margarine and beat until thoroughly combined, about two
minutes. Add coconut and mix just until well distributed. Pour into
unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce
temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes,
until top is golden brown and filling is set. If pie appears to be
browning too quickly, reduce oven to 325 degrees and tent a piece of
aluminum foil loosely over top. Hold pie at room temperature for
serving. Serve with unsweetened whipped cream, lightly flavored with
vanilla.

Note: I prefer using the Southern Style shredded coconut, but the Angel
Flaked variety is acceptable.

--
Wayne Boatwright

God bless us cat lovers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.

(one minute, starting now)

Hi.

6 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
small canister of mascarpone
6 ranier cherries, halved and pitted

Fill the apricot halves with mascarpone and top with a cherry

Eat

Dean G.

(gone in 60 seconds).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:31:00 -0700, "Helen Harrand"
> wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
>> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.

>Oh CRAP!!!!!!! You *can* see me!!! BRB.......
>
>ok, now that I have pants on.......

Oh, you're *that* kind of woman. Remaining topless to tease the
studmuffins in the group.

Congratulations on becoming RFC's newest Trollop!

>> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
>> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.

>Am I good for now w/my chicken paprikash and eggplant casserole kinda
>procedure/recipes? I'm looking forward to seeing other folks' recipes tho!

I've gotta go back and find the paprikash recipe. I want to try that.
I'm bad about marking messages as keepers, but forgetting to put the
recipes into MasterCook.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

I know this is a cheater, but it's great and very easy to change what
you put in it
Trifle
Baked cake- I bake it on a sheet pan and cut into cubes when cool
Puddin- this is a trick I learned in school. Use instant pudding, and
when you make it, use heavy cream for half of the milk. I use my
kitchen aid- beat until it until it's thick and leaves "tracks"- comes
out like mousse
Fruit- whatever is in season, except melons- they are probably too
watery
Put a layer of cake cubes in the bottom of a deep, clear bowl. If you
like, sprinkle a little champagne on the cubes (or not)
Put a layer of puddin' on top of that
Next, a layer of fruit, then cake, etc. Top with whipped cream and
toasted sliced almonds.
I made this a few weeks ago for a good friend who is a chocoholic, so I
used chocolate cake, loose ganache instead of champagne, and
raspberries. It was great! I've also used white cake, and lemon and
vanilla puddin mixed, with blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries,
which was also fantastic. But I use the puddin trick often- pate a
choux filling, etc. You could also use different booze- Chamboard,
kahula, godiva chocolate liquor, etc. Use your imagination!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HI all. I lurk alot, post a little.

Greek Chicken ( I stole this from somewhere, don't quite remember
where. One of my favorite i'm not in the mood to cook but i want real
food kind of meals)

8boneless skinless chicken thighs
flour
salt
pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion quartered
1 large can of salt free stewed tomatoes
small bunch of fresh oregano (used dried if you must)
couple of cloves of garlic
1 lemon (zest and juice)
3/4 cup of pitted kalamata olives
3 cups of chicken broth ( i use low sodium)
feta cheese, crumbled
cooked brown rice

Season the flour with a little salt and pepper as desired. Dredge the
chicken and fry in the oil in a dutch oven until browned a little. Add
the broth, onion, garlic, tomatoes, lemon juice and zest. Simmer until
the chicken is fall apart tender. Add the olives and oregano, cook 5
minutes more.

Server over hot cooked brown rice and top with as much feta as you like
(i like lots) and enjoy!

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dean G. wrote:

> 6 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
> small canister of mascarpone
> 6 ranier cherries, halved and pitted
>
> Fill the apricot halves with mascarpone and top with a cherry
>
> Eat

Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.

Oh CRAP!!!!!!! You *can* see me!!! BRB.......

ok, now that I have pants on.......

> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
> Carol

Am I good for now w/my chicken paprikash and eggplant casserole kinda
procedure/recipes? I'm looking forward to seeing other folks' recipes tho!

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Dean G. wrote:
>
>> 6 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
>> small canister of mascarpone
>> 6 ranier cherries, halved and pitted
>>
>> Fill the apricot halves with mascarpone and top with a cherry
>>
>> Eat

> Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
> they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
> Goomba

this one?
http://tinyurl.com/rlpfb

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Bubbo wrote:

>> Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
>> they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
>> Goomba

> this one?
> http://tinyurl.com/rlpfb

By Jove I knew I recalled it but perhaps you posted in much longer ago
also? I actually planned to try it. Thanks.
Goomba

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> The Bubbo wrote:
>
>>> Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
>>> they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
>>> Goomba

>> this one?
>> http://tinyurl.com/rlpfb
>>

> By Jove I knew I recalled it but perhaps you posted in much longer ago
> also? I actually planned to try it. Thanks.
> Goomba

I would recommend using marscapone instead of chevre. as much as I like chevre
(and I LOVE goat cheeses) I found it to be a tad rich. damned tasty though

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
I thought I was driving by Gettysburg once but it ends up I was just driving
by your mom's house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:25:46 -0400, "Anita Amaro" >
wrote:

>"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
>> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>>
>> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
>> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>>
>> Carol

>Hi! Here is a favorite recipe. It's delightfully fresh.
>
>Sicilian Fennel & Orange Salad with Red Onion and Mint
>Enjoy,

WOW. That sounds really good and I don't even like Fennel! I'll give
it a try, thanks, Anita.

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--smithfarms.com
farmers of pure kona
roast beans to kona to email

I am going to try an "Old Fashioned Prune Cake" and a 7 Minute double
boiler Frosting recipe tomorrow and will post the results if it works.

OT ON Food...Saturday we are finally having our *4 best friends* over
for a relaxing evening-after 3 months. Picking up veggie Summer Rolls
and Pad Thai and making Prune Cake with 7 Minute Icing for dessert.

I'll post the cake and frosting recipes if it works out.

Thanks Damsel. Hope Crash is great too.

aloha,
lurking thunder
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can

*grin* I do enjoy your posts, Carol.

I was reading the ones mothers and their recipes a while back - I
didn't post then, but I will now. My mum passed when I was 16 and
I've forgotten many things about her, but one thing I won't forget is
her love of sharing food with others. Around Thanksgiving and
Christmastime she was truly in her element. I think she started baking
a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and didn't stop until after New
Year's Day. She made candy (creamy fudge, candied walnuts,
divinity...), cookies galore, various sweet breads/cakes and she gave
most of it away. The post office, the dustmen (garbage men - I do like
the UK English term better!), our friends in the police department and
city hall, neighbors, friends and family all got big boxes of goodies
during the holidays. It's a tradition I still try to carry on today,
even if I do get some strange looks from time to time (though no one
ever complains!)

One of the things she made was walnut pie - basically, pecan pie, but
with walnuts. I vaguely recall her saying to someone that she made it
that way because pecans were too expensive in California, and my great
grandfather had a black walnut tree that we could harvest for free. I
do remember sitting out on the back porch when I was about 7 or 8,
cracking walnuts with an old ball peen hammer so mum could freeze them
for later use. Anyway, she'd make two pies at both Thanksgiving and
Christmas and one of my uncles would take one for himself and leave the
other for the rest of the family.

So, here's her recipe, which - thanks to my step-mom buying an old
church cookbook - I now have:

Walnut Pie
Source: Barbara Harless

Preheat oven to 375*F/190*C.
Makes one deep dish pie.
Don't double the recipe for two pies, make each separately. They don't
take long to put together, so it's not that much effort.

2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (the good stuff)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup light corn syrup (golden syrup works if you're in the UK, like me)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tbls butter at room temp (can use margarine, but she never did)
1 c chopped walnuts

Use your favorite shortcrust for the pie shell, don't pre-bake it.

In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until light.

Add the vanilla, salt and syrup and beat together.

Add the sugar and beat until well mixed.

Add the butter and beat again.

Add the walnuts and mix well.

Pour into the pie shell and cook for 45 minutes to an hour, until the
top is a light medium brown and crusty. If you overcook a bit, it's
still all right, but when it's done right, the middle is jelly-like and
buttery and tasty.

I hope anyone who makes it enjoys it as much as I do.

-Jen P in Cambs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Snuggle

Honey, this recipe will snatch a queen away from a Judy Garland film,
so you
know it has to be good.

2 large squirrels, cut up 1 cup
diced onions
1 cup flour
2 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup oil
1 cup diced mushrooms

Fry the squirrel in oil after coating it with flour. Take it out of the
skillet after it is done.
Pick all the meat off the bones, put 2 tablespoons of flour in the oil,
and add the mushrooms and onions;brown, put the squirrel back in, add 2
cups of water, simmer
for 20 minutes on low, salt, pepper, then pour over mashed potatoes.
Vondah-bah
Dah'ling!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Dean G. wrote:
>
> > 6 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
> > small canister of mascarpone
> > 6 ranier cherries, halved and pitted
> >
> > Fill the apricot halves with mascarpone and top with a cherry
> >
> > Eat

> Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
> they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
> Goomba

Actually, I've baked it, but then I usually use a blackberry or
raspberry sauce on top.

But to grill it, that sounds like a very good idea. I grill everything
else, why didn't I think of this ?

Dean G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Ida Detroit" > wrote:

> Snuggle
>
> Honey, this recipe will snatch a queen away from a Judy Garland film,
> so you
> know it has to be good.
>

> 2 large squirrels, cut up 1 cup
> diced onions
> 1 cup flour
> 2 cups mashed potatoes
> 1 cup oil
> 1 cup diced mushrooms
>

> Fry the squirrel in oil after coating it with flour. Take it out of the
> skillet after it is done.
> Pick all the meat off the bones, put 2 tablespoons of flour in the oil,
> and add the mushrooms and onions;brown, put the squirrel back in, add 2
> cups of water, simmer
> for 20 minutes on low, salt, pepper, then pour over mashed potatoes.
> Vondah-bah
> Dah'ling!!

That was original... ;-)

Last time I served fresh squirrel, I just quartered it and fried it
gently in some olive oil with a bit of lemon pepper. Served it as an
entree' with a side salad of Boston butter lettuce, tomato and avocado
with a bit of ranch dressing.

It's amazingly succulent meat.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Anita Amaro" >
> net.ca:
>

> > Hi! Here is a favorite recipe. It's delightfully fresh.
> >
> > Sicilian Fennel & Orange Salad with Red Onion and Mint

> <wonderful recipe snipped and saved>
>
> This sounds delicious and I like all the ingredients that go into the
> salad. Well except maybe the mint but I'll try it anyway. I usually only
> like mint in Mint Juleps.
>
> Michael
> --
> "I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the
> number you get in a diamond."
> __Mae West

The mint s part of what makes it so fresh tasting, right out of the garden.
I hope you like it. I made it last night with grilled salmon.

Anita

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:40:10 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

>Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
>see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
>My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
>enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
>
>Carol

OK here ya go.

HI

HOBO STEW (6+ Quart Slow Cooker)

Ingredients:

1 lb any meat except fish (whatever's leftover or on sale)*
1 Tbsp cooking oil
6 cups water or 3 cans beer*
2 cups dried beans ( I prefer mix of limas and red kidneys)
7 Tbsp beef soup base (boullion)*
2 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
3 small/med potatos
2 cups sweet peas*
1 large onion*
2 large carrots*
4 stalks celery*
a mix of any available vegatables to fill pot

Preparation:

Soak the beans over night.

Cut the meat, potatos , onion, celery and carrots into small (about3/8 in) pieces.

Mix the meat, worchestershire sauce and garlic powder together.

In a fryingpan brown the meat in the cooking oil, drain any excess grease.

When the meat is browned add the onion and celery to the pan and cook until the vegetables are
translucent.

Throw everything into a stewpot or slow cooker, fill to within an inch of the top with any mix of
vegatables of your choice and cook untill the beans are tender.

By the bye my favorite vegatables to add to fill the pot are; green beans, wax beans, bamboo shoots,
water chestnuts, sweet peas, snow peas, mushrooms, bell peppers, whole kernel corn and pretty much
anything that's in season and cheap.

* These are necessary

PS if you partially pre cook the dried beans or use canned it goes a lot faster.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Dean G. wrote:
>
> > 6 ripe apricots, halved and pitted
> > small canister of mascarpone
> > 6 ranier cherries, halved and pitted
> >
> > Fill the apricot halves with mascarpone and top with a cherry
> >
> > Eat

> Have you ever grilled this? I seem to recall reading someone who said
> they would fill apricots and then grill? I wish I could recall....?
> Goomba

I grill peaches......I split 'em and grill them flat side down until they
get nice grill marks (on a cleaned grill BTW). After I turn them I fill
them with some brown sugar and some booze of choice (CAREFULLY, don't set
yourself on fire) and let them cook just until the skins split. Usually the
skins stay on the grill grates and I serve these over ice cream..

I don't eat them because I don't like cooked fruit but everyone else likes
'em!

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

snip

> >> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> >> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
> >>

> > Oh CRAP!!!!!!! You *can* see me!!! BRB.......
> >
> > ok, now that I have pants on.......

> You should probably move your PC out of the bathroom.
>
> >> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> >> enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
> >>
> >> Carol

> > Am I good for now w/my chicken paprikash and eggplant casserole kinda
> > procedure/recipes? I'm looking forward to seeing other folks' recipes
> > tho!

> You are with me.
>
> I'm not a lurker, but here's a recipe that I haven't made in a very long
> time. It originated with Stouffer's when they still had restaurants in
> several majoy cities in the US. It's very rich, but also very good.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Stouffer's French Coconut Pie
>
> Recipe By : Stouffer's
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Desserts Pies

> 4 Eggs
> 2 c Granulated sugar
> 1 t Cider vinegar
> 1 t Vanilla extract
> 1 1/3 Sticks butter or margarine
> 5 1/3 oz Can Baker's coconut
> 1 Unbaked 9" pie shell
>
> Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter or margarine, set aside. Beat
> eggs slightly, thirty seconds to one minute. Add sugar, vinegar, and
> vanilla and beat until well combined, about one minute. Add melted
> butter or margarine and beat until thoroughly combined, about two
> minutes. Add coconut and mix just until well distributed. Pour into
> unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce
> temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes,
> until top is golden brown and filling is set. If pie appears to be
> browning too quickly, reduce oven to 325 degrees and tent a piece of
> aluminum foil loosely over top. Hold pie at room temperature for
> serving. Serve with unsweetened whipped cream, lightly flavored with
> vanilla.
>
> Note: I prefer using the Southern Style shredded coconut, but the Angel
> Flaked variety is acceptable.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> God bless us cat lovers.

Wow Wayne! This one sounds good and quick!

I'm saving it!

helen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> Come on out. We know you're there.

giggle

That we are...

Here's an old family favorite...

Grandma's Icebox Cake (chocolate charlotte)

9x9 pan
waxed paper

2 sq baking chocolate
1/2 c regular white sugar
1/4 c water
1 c 10x sugar
1 c butter (softened [room temp])*
4 eggs (separated - yolks beaten, whites whipped)
2 doz almond macaroons, crumbled.
2 doz lady fingers

whipped cream
slivered almonds

Start w/ all ingredients at room temperature...

melt choc over double boiler.
add sugar, water, and beaten egg yolks.
stir/cook until thick and smooth. (You are cooking the yolks at this
point.)
allow to cool

cream butter and the 10x sugar together.
add choc mixture and fold in beaten egg whites. Do not over-stir which
deflates the egg whites.

line pan w/ wax paper
line sides w/ lady fingers opened in half the long way.
put in a layer of crumbled macaroons
layer choc/macaroons/choc

top w/ whipped cream and slivered almonds

refrigerate for 24 hours prior to serving.

Serve in small portions. This is very rich! grin

* The butter worked best when softened to the point that you can stick
your finger in it. I put it in the microwave for 5 seconds at a time
to soften it up. You do not want it to be liquid, though...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
>
> My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> enough to say hi

Hi!

> and to post one recipe that you really like.

I made a flourless chocolate cake for my father's birthday last week,
using the Cook's Illustrated recipe. It was easy to make, and a
chocoholic's dream. After eating this, you'll laugh at any of
those wimpy desserts that dare to call themselves "Death by
Chocolate."

1 lb bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% baking bars)
1/2 lb unsalted butter
8 eggs

In a double boiler over simmering water, slowly melt chocolate and
butter together to a temp of 115 F.

Beat eggs for 5 minutes or so until fluffy and doubled in volume.

Fold eggs, 1/3 at a time, into chocolate/butter. Pour into 8-inch
springform pan (parchment on bottom, greasaed sides). Place
in a boiling water bath that comes halfway up the sides of the
springform pan.

Bake at 325 F for 22-25 minutes, until cake reaches 140 F in the
center. Cool, then chill overnight.

--
Mike Brandt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Larry LaMere > wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:40:10 -0500, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >Come on out. We know you're there. We have magic monitors and can
> >see you. Some of you should put some clothes on.
> >
> >My challenge: emerge from your cyber-closets for one minute. Long
> >enough to say hi and to post one recipe that you really like.
> >
> >Carol

> OK here ya go.
>
> HI

<snipped awesome soup recipe>

> By the bye my favorite vegatables to add to fill the pot are; green beans,
> wax beans, bamboo shoots,
> water chestnuts, sweet peas, snow peas, mushrooms, bell peppers, whole kernel
> corn and pretty much
> anything that's in season and cheap.
>
> * These are necessary
>
> PS if you partially pre cook the dried beans or use canned it goes a lot
> faster.

Sounds like about the kind of soup I make when I clean out the
freezer... <G>

I call it "leftovers stew". :-)
--
Peace!