Old 04-04-2006, 05:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe Challenge

I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

Old 04-04-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

(makes about 15 blintzes)

1.5 cups flour
1.5 cups buttermilk
4 large eggs
3 Tb melted unsalted butter
3 tsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt

Whisk together the ingredients in a large bowl, and let sit for a half
hour, covered with plastic wrap.

Meanwhile, make the filling.

2 Tb butter
4 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt the butter in a medium sized skillet over low heat. Meanwhile, toss
the sliced apples with the remaining ingredients. Raise the temperature
of the skillet to medium-low and cook the apples until tender, stirring
often (10 minutes or so).

To cook the crepes for the blintzes, heat a nonstick or seasoned cast
iron pan with a flat bottom over medium heat, and melt a small amount
(1/2 Tb or less) butter in it, turning the pan so that it is coated with
the fat. Pour about 1/4 of a cup of batter into the pan at a time,
tilting the pan to make crepes about 6" in diameter. Cook each until it
is golden brown on the bottom, and the batter on top is set and dry ,
and place between sheets of waxed paper. You can make the crepes ahead
of time and refrigerate (short term) or freeze (long term) until you
want to fill and fry them.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...irections1.jpg

Fill the blintzes as illustrated above - Place a few Tb of filling along
the bottom of a crepe, fold the sides and then the bottom in, and roll
up. Fry seam side down, in a medium skillet with 2 Tb of butter and 1 Tb
oil over medium heat until lightly browned on both sides.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

Adam Bowman wrote:
I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
your intention?

That type of argument is like

"Bob shot someone"

"Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

Old 04-04-2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

FINE!!

Sesame crusted tofu and stir fry

Sesame Crusted Tofu
1 pound extra firm tofu sliced to half inch slabs, pressed between towels then
cubed
1 bowl with 2 good spoons full of flour
1 bowl with an egg and a couple tbl water beaten
1 bowl with 1/4 cup flour and 2 tbl sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp Penzeys
Vindaloo
Dredge tofu in flour then egg then sesame/flour mix
fry in oil and set aside.

Stir Fry
1 bag of whatever vegetable blend you find in the freezer plus the tail end of
another bag you found that shoudl probably be used.
Saute these veggies in oil and fresh ginger until hot
add:
1 good fat dollop of fermented black bean and garlic sauce
another dollop just for the hell of it
a splash of plum vinegar
a drizzle of chili oil
a heavier drizzle of sesame oil
1 cup Kristian Regale Pear sparkler that you found in the back of the fridge
or orange juice which you more likely have
Heat through
dissolve 2 tsp cornstarch in 2 tbl hot water and toss that into the stir fry.

Quickly mix the tofu back into the stir fry and serve over rice.

diggity.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 04-04-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe

This is my best recipe. It has been handed down four generations in my
family. I don't cook or bake from recipes much, but this is one I can
share. Hope you like it! My Mom dictated it from memory and it's been
awhile since I have made it, but I think it's do-able as written.

-L.
**************

Mom's Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

Preheat oven at 350F. Grease and flour a 10X15 pan.

Batter:

21/2 C. flour
1 c. sugar
11/2 c. margarine
1/2 t. salt
11/2 t ground clove (or more)
11/2 t. ground allspice (or more)
2 T. cinnamon (or more)

Mix dry ingredients and reserve 1/2 c. for use as topping Add to
remaining mixtu
1 c. buttermilk (or 1c. whole milk to which 2T apple cider vinegar is
added)
3 lg. Eggs
11/2 t. baking soda
beat batter until well mixed

****************

Peel and thinly slice 3 c. apples

****************
Filling: (mix separately from batter)

1 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick margarine
1T cinnamon
2t. nutmeg
4T flour

Mix well -should be crumbly

**************************

Grease and flour a 10X15 pan
Layer in order:
1/2 wet batter (just over 1/2)
1/2 filling
apples (slightly overlapping
remaining 1/2 filling
remaining 1/2 wet batter (lay across top in thin ribbons)
top with 1/2 c. reserved dry batter ingredients

Be sure the bottom layer of batter is not too thin, or the streusel
will be soggy on the bottom from the filling.
Bake at 350 for approx 40-50 mins until clean knife inserted in center
comes out clean. (Will brown somewhat and possibly crack on top - this
is ok). Refrigerate to keep.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Carol wrote:

I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Bran Muffins (from _Café Beaujolais_, by Margaret Fox)

1 1/2 cups 100% bran cereal
1/2 cup very hot water
1 cup buttermilk
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup corn oil
1/4 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a mixing bowl, combine bran and water. Add buttermilk, egg, oil, and
raisins. Blend.

Then add the sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Fill
muffin papers 2/3 full and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.

The batter can keep for a week or more in the refrigerator in a tightly
covered container. Before using, stir to distribute the fruit.

Bob's notes:
1. I use All-Bran cereal.
2. I use dried berries and cherries instead of raisins.
3. I don't sift the baking soda, exactly. I whisk the flour, baking soda,
and salt together in a separate bowl before adding to the batter.
4. After adding the flour, I don't mix "thoroughly," I mix just until
completely combined. Excessive beating at this point will cause the muffins
to become tough.
5. I don't use muffin papers, because the muffins rise higher without them.
I cover the bottom of the muffin cups either with butter or Pam, depending
on what's available.
6. I let the batter sit for an hour after mixing in the flour, to let the
fruit absorb some of the moisture in the batter.
7. Next time I make this, I intend to increase the fruit to 1/2 cup, and add
a teaspoon of vanilla.
8. I stole this recipe.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 05:08:19 GMT, sarah bennett
wrote:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! G

Peace,
Carol
Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! G

Peace,
Carol

you can fill them with other fruits, or with cheese, too.

Old 04-04-2006, 06:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

too late. I've already posted mine in the threads.
--
-Barb
http://jamlady.eboard.com Updated 4-2-06, Church review #11

Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...0/blintzes.jpg

Buttermilk-Apple Blintzes:

Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! G

Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
tragic. There should be a telethon!!

serene, aghast
Old 04-04-2006, 07:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
Fey Fey is offline

Default Recipe Challenge - warming soup

Ok, threw this one together for lunch on Sunday:
Chicken Noodle soup
Soak a handful of thin rice noodles (not the bean thread sort, a bit
thicker) in boiling water for 5 minutes.
fry half a finly sliced onion, a crushed garlic clove and a tespoon
minced ginger in some canola oil until soft. Stir in a heaped teaspoon
sambal blachan and fry until fragrant.
Chop a chicken breast into 2cm cubes and fry in onion paste mixture
until browned.
Add a couple of cups of chicken stock, a chopped tomato and bring to
the boil. Simmer about 5 minutes, stir in the drained noodles and half
a cup of coconut cream. Heat until just below the boil. Ladle into
bowls and garnish with a handful of chopped coriander, thai basil and
thinly sliced chilli. Serve with a box of tissues.
It fed two of us very well. (Yes we are chilli heads!)
Fey

Old 04-04-2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Cool! I've never seen a blintz before. They look wonderful. Great
presentation, too. Now I'm hungry, dammit! G

Oh My GOD! The woman has never had a blintz! This is unbelievably
tragic. There should be a telethon!!

serene, aghast

Hey, that was my first time, too!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Once the mussels are cooked, add the light soy sauce, sugar and salt and
pepper to taste, then stir. Finally, drizzle the sesame oil over the
mussels. Serve with steamed rice.

Sounds great and I can get everything except the red curry paste. Have
any idea how I might make my own?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve quipped:

I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track.

How about a recipe for disaster?

You mean like building a major coastal city below sea level in an area prone
to hurricanes?

Bob

Old 04-04-2006, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

Hey really a recipe as such but an idea for the summer:

Mixed Fruit Watermelon Pot

Choose whole watermelon (seedless variety, and ripened ones - usually
contrast in the bottom pale colour and the dark green colour, and when
hit it will have vibrations and heavy in weight)

Cut out top of watermelon usually with zig zag strokes (this becomes
the lid). Hollow out the watermelon by scooping small balls of
watermelon flesh into small balls - put those into a very large bowl.
(it's best to use a small scoop - it's like a mini version of ice cream
scoop)

Add any variety of melon into the mix e.g. honey melons, also in small
balls etc. And add any variety of friut you like into the mix. Then
put all the mixed fruit back into the watermelon pot and cover with
lid.

Chill to eat.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
I challenge every single person who has participated in Those Threads
to post one recipe, to try to get the newsgroup at least partially
back on track. Mine's coming right up!

Peace,
Carol

No recipe software to import, and my fingers are tired. But I'll dig
around and post something later today.