Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper in England

My wife and I were in Liverpool a couple years ago visiting her many
relatives that live there. We were about to have some (very runny)
eggs and toast for breakfast when I decided to add some pepper. I love
pepper. I use it on many things. Sometimes lots of it. Fresh-ground
is preferred, but pre-ground works, too. I rarely use salt. Anyhow, I
grabbed the pepper shaker and proceed to shake it vigorously over the
runny eggs and a gray cloud comes out of the shaker all over the eggs,
the table, and me. I sneezed a few times. I didn't use any more of
that particular pepper while staying there with her aunt and uncle.
Here's the question: Is finely ground pepper (almost dust-like) the
norm in England?

Thanks....

Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-07-28, Mike > wrote:

> Here's the question: Is finely ground pepper (almost dust-like) the
> norm in England?

I can't say about the UK, but I recall a time when it was the norm
here in the USA. I remember my grandparent's rocket-nosecone shakers
with itty-bitty holes in them that one had to shake furiously and
endlessly to get anything to come out. The salt shakers were just
opposte with big ol' holes that over salted everything. I always
wondered why they didn't reverse shakers and put the pepper in the
salt shaker.

Eventually, this very fine pepper fell out of favor. No doubt its
demise began with the introduction of course ground pepper on the
shelf rack. Later, with the rise of tv cooking shows that never used
shakers, but always had the host grinding away on a big ol' pepper
grinder, people discovered that very fine pepper required grinding
till their arm fell off. Better to just chomp on chunks. Also, it
became readily apparent to anyone with functioning taste buds that
fine ground stuff tastes pretty funky after awhile. If you want
finely ground pepper, buy white pepper. We're talking pepper dust.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife and I were in Liverpool a couple years ago visiting her many
> relatives that live there. We were about to have some (very runny)
> eggs and toast for breakfast when I decided to add some pepper. I love
> pepper. I use it on many things. Sometimes lots of it. Fresh-ground
> is preferred, but pre-ground works, too. I rarely use salt. Anyhow, I
> grabbed the pepper shaker and proceed to shake it vigorously over the
> runny eggs and a gray cloud comes out of the shaker all over the eggs,
> the table, and me. I sneezed a few times. I didn't use any more of
> that particular pepper while staying there with her aunt and uncle.
> Here's the question: Is finely ground pepper (almost dust-like) the
> norm in England?
>
> Thanks....
>
> Mike

Here in England ground white pepper is usually what is served at the table
with salt, while a normally black pepercorns are stored and served in a
pepper mill. (White pepper is I think just black pepper with the husk
removed and then ground extra fine)

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife and I were in Liverpool a couple years ago visiting her many
> relatives that live there. We were about to have some (very runny)
> eggs and toast for breakfast when I decided to add some pepper. I love
> pepper. I use it on many things. Sometimes lots of it. Fresh-ground
> is preferred, but pre-ground works, too. I rarely use salt. Anyhow, I
> grabbed the pepper shaker and proceed to shake it vigorously over the
> runny eggs and a gray cloud comes out of the shaker all over the eggs,
> the table, and me. I sneezed a few times. I didn't use any more of
> that particular pepper while staying there with her aunt and uncle.
> Here's the question: Is finely ground pepper (almost dust-like) the
> norm in England?
>
> Thanks....

I think what you had was white pepper)) We do have ground black pepper
too btw but you seem to have been unlucky)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:

> Here's the question: Is finely ground pepper (almost dust-like) the
> norm in England?

White and black pepper are still readily available, and used, here in
Australia.
Black pepper seems to have become more commonly used, however some
recipes, particularly light coloured sauces can specifically for white
pepper (aesthetically black specks aren't as pleasing to the eye
apparently...) Personally I don't have any white pepper in the house
and would be lost without my extra large pepper (and it's companion
salt - for Maldon Sea Salt of course) grinder son bought me for
Christmas 2 years ago.

more on black, white and other peppers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_pepper

cheers,

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I think what you had was white pepper)) We do have ground black pepper
> too btw but you seem to have been unlucky)

Which brings up an interesting point.
Salt and pepper are staple condiments on tables at restaurants &
cafés.
While nearly all restaurants here use pepper grinders, they are never
(or seldom anyway) available "on the table". You have to specifically
ask for ground bp... and the waitress/waiter elaborately twists a
sprinkling over your meal - after all, the diner is (implied) inept and
couldn't possibly do it themselves. (Meanwhile the diner has to dodge
flailing elbows to avoid being whacked while this operation takes
place.)
One café we particularly love - Avanti, Bardon - has a whopping
grinder, darn thing is about 2 feet long. Suppose it never gets mislaid
by waitstaff - and is always clearly visible where ever it is in the
café, which a smaller less cumbersome version would I guess.

I suspect the cost of replacement is the main issue. Probably had too
many diners walk out with an expensive grinder....in their bag or
pocket.
Now there's an interesting thought.... souveniers from restaurants....
who's guilty? And what did you 'souvenier''?

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
(Guilty of smuggling a large orange 'globe' candle in my fabric handbag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I went to a Mexican restaurant at Mooloolabah and they had some really
funky pottery drinking vessel - one of which I still have to this day.
I blame the margaritas!

Jane