Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Trader Joe's sweet chili sauce

TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!

It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like a mini
wine bottle. It's pink.

It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck sauce.
Try it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
>
> It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like a mini
> wine bottle. It's pink.
>
> It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck sauce.
> Try it.

Is it similar to duck sauce? Use on egg rolls?

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> >
> > TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
> >
> > It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like
> > a mini wine bottle. It's pink.
> >
> > It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck
> > sauce. Try it.

> Is it similar to duck sauce? Use on egg rolls?

It is similar and you certainly could use it as a substitute for duck sauce,
but it has more flavor.

Now that you mention it I'm going to bring an egg roll home to try it.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > >
> > > TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
> > >
> > > It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like
> > > a mini wine bottle. It's pink.
> > >
> > > It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck
> > > sauce. Try it.

> > Is it similar to duck sauce? Use on egg rolls?

> It is similar and you certainly could use it as a substitute for duck sauce,
> but it has more flavor.
>
> Now that you mention it I'm going to bring an egg roll home to try it.

Let me know. I've got a couple of egg rolls in my freezer but I'm out of
duck sauce.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:05:22 -0400, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
> >
> > It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like a mini
> > wine bottle. It's pink.
> >
> > It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck sauce.
> > Try it.

> The best stuff is Mae Ploy brand. I've tried all the others at the
> Asian grocers (but not TJ's) and Mae Ploy is miles ahead of anything
> else out there. A 1-liter bottle should cost under $3.
>
> Do not confuse it with their spring roll sauce (which is similar and
> also good).
>
> Here's my latest pile of wings using the above mentioned sauce as a
> base (garnished with peanuts and cilantro):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> To the sauce I've added Chinkiang black vinegar, white rice vinegar,
> Huy Fong sriracha, sesame oil, and 3 Crabs fish sauce for a total of
> 10% of the finished sauce.
>
> -sw

Whoa! That sure looks good. I'm making my crab recipe today but I'd take
your meal over mine. :-O

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:05:22 -0400, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
> > TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
> >
> > It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like
> > a mini wine bottle. It's pink.
> >
> > It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck
> > sauce. Try it.

> The best stuff is Mae Ploy brand. I've tried all the others at the
> Asian grocers (but not TJ's) and Mae Ploy is miles ahead of anything
> else out there. A 1-liter bottle should cost under $3.

Do any chains carry it?

> Do not confuse it with their spring roll sauce (which is similar and
> also good).
>
> Here's my latest pile of wings using the above mentioned sauce as a
> base (garnished with peanuts and cilantro):
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> To the sauce I've added Chinkiang black vinegar, white rice vinegar,
> Huy Fong sriracha, sesame oil, and 3 Crabs fish sauce for a total of
> 10% of the finished sauce.

Looks too good to eat.

Ever make a vinaigrette with a puree of roasted peppers and tomatoes and
garlic for those roasted vegetables? I saw it on Bitman's show.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2012 1:01 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:05:22 -0400, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>>
>>> TJ's discontinued their sweet chili sauce years ago. Now it's back!
>>>
>>> It used to be in a small jar. Now it's in a tall skinny jar, like
>>> a mini wine bottle. It's pink.
>>>
>>> It's spicy and a little sweet, but not hot. Much better than duck
>>> sauce. Try it.

>> The best stuff is Mae Ploy brand. I've tried all the others at the
>> Asian grocers (but not TJ's) and Mae Ploy is miles ahead of anything
>> else out there. A 1-liter bottle should cost under $3.

> Do any chains carry it?

I will add the another positive review for Mae Ploy brand. I have never
seen it in big box places. I just buy a few bottles when at an Asian
market. I think the last time I bought it (a few weeks ago) it was $2.69
for the liter bottles.

>> Do not confuse it with their spring roll sauce (which is similar and
>> also good).
>>
>> Here's my latest pile of wings using the above mentioned sauce as a
>> base (garnished with peanuts and cilantro):
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>>
>> To the sauce I've added Chinkiang black vinegar, white rice vinegar,
>> Huy Fong sriracha, sesame oil, and 3 Crabs fish sauce for a total of
>> 10% of the finished sauce.

> Looks too good to eat.
>
> Ever make a vinaigrette with a puree of roasted peppers and tomatoes and
> garlic for those roasted vegetables? I saw it on Bitman's show.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I have no idea what chains you have in your area. Walmart and Target?
> No. 99 Ranch 99 and Fire Bowl cafe? Yes.
>
> Any Asian market worth anything should carry it. It's not a common
> item at your mainline grocers.

Those aren't in NYC or Long Island, but Chinatown is close (the one in
Queens, not Manhattan). I don't go there enough anymore, but I should get
back into it.

> As a salsa, sure. Just finished a Hatch, Rotel concoction. Didn't
> even know Bitman had a show. <clickety click> Our PBS must not carry
> it. Or I've never flipped past it. And I don't get the Cooking
> Channel - I refuse to bow down to Cable TV's "digital" TV lineup
> games.

He was on PBS until about 1.5 - 2 years ago.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2012 6:47 PM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I have no idea what chains you have in your area. Walmart and Target?
>> No. 99 Ranch 99 and Fire Bowl cafe? Yes.
>>
>> Any Asian market worth anything should carry it. It's not a common
>> item at your mainline grocers.

> Those aren't in NYC or Long Island, but Chinatown is close (the one in
> Queens, not Manhattan). I don't go there enough anymore, but I should get
> back into it.

That one is always changing. The latest edition is the "New World Mall".
There used to be a Caldors or something like that near the corner of
Roosevelt Ave and Main St. Some Chinese guy remodeled the whole thing
and built a 165,000 square foot mall:

http://www.newworldmallny.com/

There is a large food store, a food court with 30+ vendors and a 150
table restaurant on the top floor..

http://www.newworldmallny.com/en/jmart

http://www.newworldmallny.com/en/food-court

There were supposed to tear down the Flushing Mall (the one that was
just north of Roosevelt and east of Prince St so it is almost vacant
except for the food court) but now there is a rumor they aren't going to
demolish it.

>> As a salsa, sure. Just finished a Hatch, Rotel concoction. Didn't
>> even know Bitman had a show. <clickety click> Our PBS must not carry
>> it. Or I've never flipped past it. And I don't get the Cooking
>> Channel - I refuse to bow down to Cable TV's "digital" TV lineup
>> games.

> He was on PBS until about 1.5 - 2 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote:

>There were supposed to tear down the Flushing Mall (the one that was
>just north of Roosevelt and east of Prince St so it is almost vacant
>except for the food court) but now there is a rumor they aren't going to
>demolish it.

That structure is ancient and decrepit, I'm surprised it hasn't
fallen over on its own.

Steve