Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper Pecan Praline Salmon for Julia

Pepper Pecan Praline Salmon
How you cook the Salmon is up to you. I have poached it, grilled indoors (
it rains alot up here) and outdoors (we have a beautiful two weeks of summer
most every year) as well as in a pan and in the oven. The texture is the
only thing that changes, but it is the sauce that is good. sweet then hot.
My preference is to cook the salmon on a water soaked cedar plank( be
careful and not use roofing shingles because they may have been treated
prior) or else use a very hot grill (425-475 degrees) skin side down for 5
minutes so the skin will char off and the meat just cooked through, do not
overcook Salmon. Once you start it cooking it, do not walk away.
Another note is about the Pepper heat; I prefer to start with 2 teaspoons
of Asian Sambal Oelek because it has seeds in it to tell your mouth beware
this has a bite to it and add more as/if you desire. A tablespoon is about
right for my wife and I, just remember that the Jalapenos will blend into
the sauce so like a roast, stop adding the heat a bit early and let it come
up to temp. Any quality hot sauce will sub here. Sriracha, Tabasco Brand
has some good new items, the Bufolo Brand Chipotle, as will Red Pepper
flakes like used on Pizza or even 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
( I will assume people that use other peppers such as Serreno, Thai,
Habaneros know their heat bias).
Praline sauce:
1 1/4 Cups Brown sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon BUTTER
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2-3 Jalapeno sliced or any peppers of your choice
Asian Sambal Oelek pepper paste to taste
Garnish:
sprig of mint
Scallions
Salmon fillet about 1-2 lbs, Sockeye or Silver are good fish to use here for
those on the Left Coast. Cut into 4 to 6 oz portions
1. Toast the pecans in a med heat skillet or saucepan for 2-3 minutes, being
careful not to burn. remove the nuts
2. Reduce to a low heat and in In the same saucepan, combine brown sugar,
evaporated milk, and butter. Cook and stir until sauce is smooth and syrupy,
about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla, pecans and Jalapenos remove from heat and
add then add the pepper paste ( or other pepper mix) .
3. Plate the salmon and spoon the sauce over it, garnish with sliced
scallions and mint sprig, serve. a good accompaniment is Wild rice or even a
saffron rice and grilled asparagus with EVOO, grilled raddichicco or
grilled Baby Bok choy.
enjoy Julia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hi sounds wonderful divine! but would this work with canned salmon? we
got a lot of it on sale and are trying to figure out how to use it!

Gunner wrote:

> Pepper Pecan Praline Salmon
> How you cook the Salmon is up to you. I have poached it, grilled indoors (
> it rains alot up here) and outdoors (we have a beautiful two weeks of summer
> most every year) as well as in a pan and in the oven. The texture is the
> only thing that changes, but it is the sauce that is good. sweet then hot.
> My preference is to cook the salmon on a water soaked cedar plank( be
> careful and not use roofing shingles because they may have been treated
> prior) or else use a very hot grill (425-475 degrees) skin side down for 5
> minutes so the skin will char off and the meat just cooked through, do not
> overcook Salmon. Once you start it cooking it, do not walk away.
> Another note is about the Pepper heat; I prefer to start with 2 teaspoons
> of Asian Sambal Oelek because it has seeds in it to tell your mouth beware
> this has a bite to it and add more as/if you desire. A tablespoon is about
> right for my wife and I, just remember that the Jalapenos will blend into
> the sauce so like a roast, stop adding the heat a bit early and let it come
> up to temp. Any quality hot sauce will sub here. Sriracha, Tabasco Brand
> has some good new items, the Bufolo Brand Chipotle, as will Red Pepper
> flakes like used on Pizza or even 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
> ( I will assume people that use other peppers such as Serreno, Thai,
> Habaneros know their heat bias).
> Praline sauce:
> 1 1/4 Cups Brown sugar
> 3/4 cup evaporated milk
> 1 Tablespoon BUTTER
> 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/4 cup chopped pecans
> 2-3 Jalapeno sliced or any peppers of your choice
> Asian Sambal Oelek pepper paste to taste
> Garnish:
> sprig of mint
> Scallions
> Salmon fillet about 1-2 lbs, Sockeye or Silver are good fish to use here for
> those on the Left Coast. Cut into 4 to 6 oz portions
> 1. Toast the pecans in a med heat skillet or saucepan for 2-3 minutes, being
> careful not to burn. remove the nuts
> 2. Reduce to a low heat and in In the same saucepan, combine brown sugar,
> evaporated milk, and butter. Cook and stir until sauce is smooth and syrupy,
> about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla, pecans and Jalapenos remove from heat and
> add then add the pepper paste ( or other pepper mix) .
> 3. Plate the salmon and spoon the sauce over it, garnish with sliced
> scallions and mint sprig, serve. a good accompaniment is Wild rice or even a
> saffron rice and grilled asparagus with EVOO, grilled raddichicco or
> grilled Baby Bok choy.
> enjoy Julia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:37:00 -0700, Gunner wrote:

> enjoy

Thanks for posting this! I will enjoy it for sure.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:37:00 -0700, Gunner wrote:

> Asian Sambal Oelek pepper paste to taste

Oh, this will be a first for me.... chili paste on salmon!

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 Jul 2006 01:14:02 -0700, Doby Show wrote:

> hi sounds wonderful divine! but would this work with canned salmon? we
> got a lot of it on sale and are trying to figure out how to use it!

That recipe won't work with canned salmon.

Try the following:

Make a pasta salad using your canned salmon.

Make a quick aioli (the stick blender method literally takes a
minute), Use it to dress precooked & cooled pasta <I use bow ties or
shells>, flaked leftover salmon. Add what ever else fancies you to
the salad. I use green onions, celery and fresh dill.

Aioli

1 whole egg
1-2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Salt (a big pinch)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup canola or another bland oil

With your regular blender or food processor running, gradually pour in
the extra-virgin olive oil in a very thin, steady stream. Then pour
the other oil in a thin stream. Do not rush it; if you pour oil too
fast, the mayonnaise won't thicken.

If you use a stick blender, find a jar not much larger in diameter
than your stick blender. Pour in all the ingredients... the oil will
rise to the top. Put your stick blender at the bottom of the jar and
turn it on. Gradually pull the blender up as the mixute emulisifes.
You'll have aioli in a minute or less.

If the aioli or the entire salad is made ahead, cover it with plastic
wrap and refrigerate up to 1 day.

Salmon-Potato Croquettes

Yield: 4 or more servings
Time: 20 minutes

1 to 2 cups leftover salmon meat (or use that canned salmon)
1 to 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 to 1 cup minced onion or scallion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoon peeled and minced or grated fresh ginger or
garlic, optional
1 egg
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Plain bread crumbs as needed
1/4 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Lemon wedges

1. Combine the first eight ingredients; add just enough bread crumbs
to stiffen the mixture, but don't make it too dry.

2. Shape into small cakes; dredge in bread crumbs, then dry on a rack
in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes. Heat a large, deep skillet
over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add a film of the olive oil and
cook the croquettes until they are nicely browned on both sides, about
10 minutes total. If you need to cook the croquettes in batches, add
more olive oil.

Serve with lemon wedges.

Mark Bittman on TV:
Salmon for Holiday Entertaining
http://www.salmonoftheamericas.com/bittman.html

Salmon Souffle
http://southernfood.about.com/od/sal...r/bl40121q.htm

This salmon souffle recipe is made salmon, minced onion, eggs, and
homemade white sauce, along with other seasonings.
INGREDIENTS:

* 2 tablespoons flour
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup milk
* 2 egg yolks, beaten
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
* 1 tablespoon minced onion
* dash nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* dash pepper
* 1 can (16 ounces) salmon, flaked
* 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in flour.
Gradually stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until
thick. Add a little of the hot mixture to the beaten egg yolks, then
return the egg yolk mixture to the sauce, stirring quickly to blend.
Add parsley, onion, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir in the flaked
salmon. Fold in egg whites then pour into a lightly buttered 1
1/2-quart casserole. Bake at 325° for 55 to 65 minutes, until golden
and set.

Salmon Souffle serves 6.

--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Please Help With Pecan Praline Recipe Lou Decruss[_2_] General Cooking 4 26-11-2007 10:50 PM
Desperate for a Tried and True pecan praline recipe! Lisa's Gourmet Baking 7 31-12-2005 06:53 PM
Pecan Praline Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-10-2005 02:47 AM
Praline Pecan Crępes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-09-2005 12:30 PM
Pecan Praline in microwave cathy General Cooking 1 02-12-2004 06:32 AM