cathy

Default Pecan Praline in microwave

I have this old recipe for Pecan Pralines made in the microwave, and I
need some help with it. Here's the recipe:

MICROWAVE PRALINES

2 c. sugar
3/4 c. buttermilk
1/8 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
2 c. pecans
1 tsp. baking soda

Combine all ingredients, except soda. Cook on high for 12 minutes.
Then stir in baking soda and cook 2-3 minutes on high. Beat the cooked
mixture and then drop by spoonfuls of greased wax paper.

Here's my problem. My microwave is 1200 watts, and the 12 minutes
sepcificed in the recipe is waaaaay too long. I had praline dust by
the time I was done. There's nothing in the original recipe to
indicate what wattage microwave its intended for.

Is anyone familiar with this recipe and if so, do you have any idea
what wattage its meant for?

And if not, does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it in my
current microwave? Should I cook it on high for a shorter period of
time (and if so, how long?) Or should I cook it at a lower wattage for
the full 12 minutes? (and what would be the right percentage?)

I know I could probably go the trial and error route, but that'd get
kinda expensive, and I'm not very good at it.

I've always liked this recipe because it's so easy, and I'd like to
make a batch for the holidays (not to mention I need to use up the
rest of the buttermilk I bought! <g>) I'd appreciate any help I canget
with preparing this recipe.

Thanks,
Cathy
DJS0302

>I have this old recipe for Pecan Pralines made in the microwave, and I
>need some help with it. Here's the recipe:
>
>MICROWAVE PRALINES
>

> 2 c. sugar
> 3/4 c. buttermilk
> 1/8 tsp. salt
> 2 tbsp. butter
> 2 c. pecans
> 1 tsp. baking soda
>
> Combine all ingredients, except soda. Cook on high for 12 minutes.
>Then stir in baking soda and cook 2-3 minutes on high. Beat the cooked
>mixture and then drop by spoonfuls of greased wax paper.

>Here's my problem. My microwave is 1200 watts, and the 12 minutes
>sepcificed in the recipe is waaaaay too long. I had praline dust by
>the time I was done. There's nothing in the original recipe to
>indicate what wattage microwave its intended for.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this recipe and if so, do you have any idea
>what wattage its meant for?
>
>And if not, does anyone have any suggestions for how to make it in my
>current microwave? Should I cook it on high for a shorter period of
>time (and if so, how long?) Or should I cook it at a lower wattage for
>the full 12 minutes? (and what would be the right percentage?)
>
>I know I could probably go the trial and error route, but that'd get
>kinda expensive, and I'm not very good at it.
>
>I've always liked this recipe because it's so easy, and I'd like to
>make a batch for the holidays (not to mention I need to use up the
>rest of the buttermilk I bought! <g>) I'd appreciate any help I canget
>with preparing this recipe.
>
>Thanks,

I have a microwave oven peanut brittle recipe that I've made in 3 different
microwave ovens. In the oldest oven, which is rated at 1300 watts, it took
13-14 minutes on high. In a newer oven rated at only 1200 watts it took only 7
1/2 minutes. The newer oven used less power but was more efficient. The third
oven took about 9-10 minutes. In all three cases I used full power.
Making peanut brittle in the microwave is easy; you just cook it until the raw
peanuts are golden brown. In your case,since you really can't tell by sight,
you'll have to test the syrup in cold water every minute or so until it reaches
the right consistancy. I would mix everything up like you normally do and cook
it on for about 3 minutes. I would then stir it and microwave it on high in
short increments until it looked like it was getting done. I would start doing
the cold water testing at this point. The part I don't get in the recipe is
where it says to cook the candy 2-3 minutes more after adding the baking soda.
I feel that part is totally unnecessary since the syrup is already plenty hot
to remove any raw baking soda taste.

Please Help With Pecan Praline Recipe Lou Decruss[_2_] General Cooking 4 26-11-2007 10:50 PM
Pepper Pecan Praline Salmon for Julia Gunner General Cooking 4 01-07-2006 07:22 PM
Pecan Praline Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-10-2005 02:47 AM
Praline Pecan Crępes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-09-2005 12:30 PM
Microwave Praline Problem Joelle General Cooking 1 12-12-2003 02:45 AM