Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Please Help With Pecan Praline Recipe

40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
Comments and flames are welcome!

TIA.

Lou

Buttermilk Pralines
CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Category: Pecan Cookies
Serves/Makes: 4 dozen | Difficulty Level: 2 | Ready In: < 30
minutes

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
Combine buttermilk and baking soda in a large saucepan.

Stir over medium heat until warm.

Add sugar, corn syrup and butter stirring constantly.

Heat until mixture is brown and creamy and forms a soft ball in water.

Remove from heat and stir in vanilla until thick.

Add nuts and quickly drop by tablespoon on waxed paper.

Let cool completely.

Recipe Location:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...nes43176.shtml
Recipe ID: 5417
Don't forget to stop back at CDKitchen and write a review or upload a
picture of this recipe!

This recipe is from CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com
© 1995-2007 CDKitchen, Inc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:54:54 -0600, Lou Decruss >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
>what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
>Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
>done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
>Comments and flames are welcome!

I found this basic recipe a while back, then dinked around until I was
happy with it. The "dinking" took the form of a) toasting the pecans
lightly, and b) I spoon the pralines onto an oiled cookie sheet, which
works much better than waxed paper. I also occasionally add a
tablespoon of rum or other liquer.

1 tsp. soda
1 c. buttermilk
3 c. sugar
1 c. butter
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp. white corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. pecan halves

Add soda to buttermilk. Mix sugar, buttermilk mixture, butter, salt
and syrup. Cook until it forms a rather hard ball when dropped into
water. Add vanilla and then pecans, and stir a short time. Cool
rapidly. Spoon pralines on waxed paper. Makes 22-48 pralines.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 22:51:35 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:54:54 -0600, Lou Decruss >
>fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>

>>40+ years ago my mom made them. I loved them, but she has no clue
>>what she used for a recipe. I remember she used buttermilk, and light
>>Karo was always around so I'm thinking this might be close. Anyone
>>done something similar and care to comment? Or have a better recipe?
>>Comments and flames are welcome!

>I found this basic recipe a while back, then dinked around until I was
>happy with it. The "dinking" took the form of a) toasting the pecans
>lightly, and b) I spoon the pralines onto an oiled cookie sheet, which
>works much better than waxed paper. I also occasionally add a
>tablespoon of rum or other liquer.
>
>1 tsp. soda
>1 c. buttermilk
>3 c. sugar
>1 c. butter
>Pinch of salt
>2 tbsp. white corn syrup
>1 tsp. vanilla
>1 1/2 c. pecan halves
>
>Add soda to buttermilk. Mix sugar, buttermilk mixture, butter, salt
>and syrup. Cook until it forms a rather hard ball when dropped into
>water. Add vanilla and then pecans, and stir a short time. Cool
>rapidly. Spoon pralines on waxed paper. Makes 22-48 pralines.
>
>Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
be making them this weekend.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:08:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > fired
up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
>be making them this weekend.

I'd love to know if you like the recipe as much as my family (and
co-workers) do.

I also have a recipe that is a little different and the DH prefers to
the pralines, but is also praline-ish:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Harris Ranch Pecan Drops

cookies

2 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 pounds coarsely chopped
pecan pieces
1/2 cup egg whites; 3 - 4 large eggs

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In the bowl of an electric mixer,
combine the brown sugar, salt, vanilla and pecan pieces. Beat on low
speed to incorporate the ingredients, then drizzle in the egg whites.
Increase the speed to medium-low and beat for 4 to 5 minutes, scraping
down the sides of the bowl as needed.

2. Drop the dough in rounded tablespoons onto a greased baking sheet.
Press each ball of dough with the back of a spoon to form a cookie 3
1/2 inches in diameter and about one-eighth-inch thick.

3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove
from oven and immediately remove the cookies from the baking sheet to
a cooling rack. The cookies will be soft but will firm up as they
cool.

Yield: 3 dozen cookies

Preparation Time: 1 hour

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:19:07 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:08:12 GMT, Lou Decruss > fired
>up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Thank you very much. It's nice to have a tried and true recipe. I'll
>>be making them this weekend.

>I'd love to know if you like the recipe as much as my family (and
>co-workers) do.
>
>I also have a recipe that is a little different and the DH prefers to
>the pralines, but is also praline-ish:

Thanks so much for the new recipe. We had a late start over the
weekend because our heat went out Thanksgiving morning. So I didn't
get around to making them. But next weekend I will, and I'll report
back.

Thanks again,

Lou

Cornmeal Pumpkin Cakes with Pecan Praline Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 12-05-2008 03:23 AM
Desperate for a Tried and True pecan praline recipe! Lisa's Gourmet Baking 7 31-12-2005 06:53 PM
Pecan Praline Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 02-10-2005 02:47 AM
Praline Pecan Crępes Duckie ® Recipes 0 16-09-2005 12:30 PM
Pecan Praline in microwave cathy General Cooking 1 02-12-2004 06:32 AM