Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Help! - Please name few traditional US dishes

Hello!

I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
dishes.

Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Greetings, Isabel

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

make burgers, barbecue sandwiches, or sloppy joes. serve potato salad,
coleslaw, and macaroni salad, along with slices of watermelon. serve
lemonade to drink. strawberry shortcaek for dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ca1522" > wrote in news:1151589404.814797.133600
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

Salad: Cobb salad
Main Dish: Hot dogs
Dessert: Banana splits

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> "ca1522" > wrote in news:1151589404.814797.133600
> @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
>> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional

American
>> dishes.
>>
>> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
>> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>>
>> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>>
>> Greetings, Isabel

> Salad: Cobb salad
> Main Dish: Hot dogs
> Dessert: Banana splits

Drink: Yoo-hoo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jude wrote:
> ca1522 wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> > type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> > dishes.
> >
> > Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> > dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
> >
> > Greetings, Isabel

> make burgers, barbecue sandwiches, or sloppy joes. serve potato salad,
> coleslaw, and macaroni salad, along with slices of watermelon. serve
> lemonade to drink. strawberry shortcaek for dessert.

Good ideas, all.

Barbecued pork or beef is 100% American. I'd do a pulled-pork
(slow-roast a pork shoulder roast until it falls apart; pull it apart
and remove visible fat; add barbecue sauce, either vinegar-based or
tomato-based) sandwich or barbecued ribs. Corn on the cob with butter,
salt & pepper is good on the grill. Potato salad or cucumbers and
onion rings in sour cream, or sliced tomatoes in oil and basil;
shortcake or the banana split idea sound good for dessert.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Barbecued pork or beef is 100% American. I'd do a pulled-pork
> (slow-roast a pork shoulder roast until it falls apart; pull it apart
> and remove visible fat; add barbecue sauce, either vinegar-based or
> tomato-based) sandwich or barbecued ribs. Corn on the cob with butter,
> salt & pepper is good on the grill. Potato salad or cucumbers and
> onion rings in sour cream, or sliced tomatoes in oil and basil;
> shortcake or the banana split idea sound good for dessert.
>
> N.

You forgot the good "sweettea" made in the south. That a very American
beverage to go with your meal.
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.

Can you give us more information on what type of event you're planning?
You'll get completely different responses if you're planning an
Independence Day celebration than if you're going to do a Thanksgiving
meal.

People have been making a lot of suggestions to you (mostly for
southeastern US dishes), including potato salad. Here is my recipe.
You can use less (or no) dill if you'd prefer it that way. If you omit
the dill, you may use milk instead of pickle juice.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dilled Potato Salad

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Potatoes Salads
Side Dishes Signature Dishes

8 medium russet potatoes -- diced
4 large eggs -- hard cooked
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
3 tablespoon dill pickle juice -- *
1/2 cup dill pickles -- minced
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 salt and pepper -- to taste

* If red potatoes are used, reduce pickle juice to 2 tbsp.

1. Hard cook the eggs; chill, remove shells, and cut in half. Remove
yolks
and dice the whites. Set aside
2. Cook potatoes in water until desired tenderness. Drain; rinse under
cold, running water to stop the cooking process.
3. While potatoes are cooking, combine mashed egg yolks with remaining
ingredients.
4. Combine chilled potatoes and the sauce mixture. Add egg whites.
5. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, to allow flavors to
blend.
6. Check for moisture. If too dry, add more pickle juice or milk until
desired consistency is achieved.
7. Sprinkle paprika on top just prior to serving, if desired.

VARIATIONS:
- Use dill pickle relish instead of chopped pickles.
- Use fresh minced onions in place of onion powder.
- Add finely chopped celery for crunchiness.
- Add a dash of tabasco sauce for a little extra zing.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ca1522" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

Fried chicken
Caesar Salad
Apple pie
Ice Tea

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> People have been making a lot of suggestions to you (mostly for
> southeastern US dishes), including potato salad. Here is my recipe.
> You can use less (or no) dill if you'd prefer it that way. If you omit
> the dill, you may use milk instead of pickle juice.

That's true, I hadn't thought about the dishes being "southern" or
"southeastern"... Well, baked beans and brown bread would cover the
Northeast I guess? And then there is Tex-Mex, and California-Mex,and a
lot of seafood from the Northwest.
Not ever to forget Barb's beloved "Hotdish"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

Corn on the cob, apple pie (with vanilla ice cream of course!), cheese
burgers grilled outdoors, tossed green salad with mixed veggies in it,
baked beans...

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jun 2006 06:56:44 -0700, ca1522 wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

If this is going to be outdoors, break out your grill to make hot dogs
and hamburgers. Serve potato salad and cole slaw on the side. Corn
on the cob is another must. Serve slices of watermelon for dessert.

Although it's not very common anymore, a jello dessert would be a nod
to our midcentury past.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. wrote:
> ca1522 wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> > type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> > dishes.

> Corn on the cob, apple pie (with vanilla ice cream of course!), cheese
> burgers grilled outdoors, tossed green salad with mixed veggies in it,
> baked beans...

Here's the best apple pie recipe on the entire planet. It has a very
pleasant, mellow flavor. It's not cloyingly sweet like most apple
pies.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cream Apple Pie

Recipe By :Carol Peterson
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Pies and Crusts

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pounds peeled apple slices

1. Combine first five (dry) ingredients.
2. Cover bottom of unbaked 9-inch pie shell with 1/4 of mixture.
3. Stir remaining mixture into sour cream.
4. Slice apples 1/8-inch thick, and stir into sour cream mixture..
5. Place mixture into pie shell and cover with top pastry. Let rest 10
minutes.
6. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
7. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325°F, and bake about
45
minutes, or until apples are done.
8. IMPORTANT: Cool 3 to 4 hours on rack before cutting.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"Pat Zastera (Carol's Mom)"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:10:29 -0700, sf wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2006 06:56:44 -0700, ca1522 wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> > type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> > dishes.
> >
> > Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> > dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
> >
> > Greetings, Isabel

> If this is going to be outdoors, break out your grill to make hot dogs
> and hamburgers. Serve potato salad and cole slaw on the side. Corn
> on the cob is another must. Serve slices of watermelon for dessert.
>
> Although it's not very common anymore, a jello dessert would be a nod
> to our midcentury past.

Yikes... I forgot the drink: make it lemonade
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ca1522" wrote in
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
> Greetings, Isabel

Assuming you are talking summertime:

Hot dogs - grilled outside
Hamburgers - ditto
Steaks - ditto
Potato salad
Cole slaw
Garden salad
Strawberry shortcake
Apple pie
Ice-cream
Watermelon
Iced tea
Lemonade

If you're talking wintertime, or holiday time, that's totally different.

Dora
Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey wrote:

> > Greetings, Isabel

> Assuming you are talking summertime:
>
> Hot dogs - grilled outside
> Hamburgers - ditto
> Steaks - ditto

Grilled chicken!

> Potato salad
> Cole slaw
> Garden salad
> Strawberry shortcake
> Apple pie
> Ice-cream
> Watermelon
> Iced tea
> Lemonade
>
> If you're talking wintertime, or holiday time, that's totally different.

True.

Here's my cole slaw recipe. There are many different types. We prefer
the creamy kind.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Cole Slaw

Recipe By amsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads and Dressings Side Dishes

1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon Splenda® granular -- (or white sugar)
1 pound cabbage -- shredded

In a small bowl, combine mayo, cream, vinegar, and Splenda. Place
cabbage
in a large bowl, and pour mayonnaise mixture over it. Combine
thoroughly.
Chill for an hour or more before serving.

Yield:
"3 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

NOTES :
Optional add-ins:
Celery Seed
Poppy Seed

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you to all who responded! I thought about apple pie myself as
something vrery AMERICAN.

The event is taken place in July and the main theme is US, so I
everything which I very American will do. It's sort of theme party
with special food. Since it's summer I thought Thanksgiving turkey
would be perfect if the even would take place in winter.

I think potato salad is great start (we also have potato salad here,
different one though) and Apple Pie is good dessert. I thought about
hamburgers and hot dogs but those are a bit too much this time, I'm
looking for something like main dish.

Btw, in Estonia (I'm from Estonia) we also do barbecue, usually the
meat is pork and salad with tomatoes, onions and cucumbers mixed with
sour cream.

Greetings, Isabel

Damsel in dis Dress kirjutas:

> Can you give us more information on what type of event you're planning?
> You'll get completely different responses if you're planning an
> Independence Day celebration than if you're going to do a Thanksgiving
> meal.
>
> People have been making a lot of suggestions to you (mostly for
> southeastern US dishes), including potato salad. Here is my recipe.
> You can use less (or no) dill if you'd prefer it that way. If you omit
> the dill, you may use milk instead of pickle juice.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Dilled Potato Salad
>
> Recipe By :Carol Peterson
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Potatoes Salads
> Side Dishes Signature Dishes

> 8 medium russet potatoes -- diced
> 4 large eggs -- hard cooked
> 1 cup mayonnaise
> 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
> 3 tablespoon dill pickle juice -- *
> 1/2 cup dill pickles -- minced
> 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
> 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
> 1 salt and pepper -- to taste
>
> * If red potatoes are used, reduce pickle juice to 2 tbsp.
>
> 1. Hard cook the eggs; chill, remove shells, and cut in half. Remove
> yolks
> and dice the whites. Set aside
> 2. Cook potatoes in water until desired tenderness. Drain; rinse under
> cold, running water to stop the cooking process.
> 3. While potatoes are cooking, combine mashed egg yolks with remaining
> ingredients.
> 4. Combine chilled potatoes and the sauce mixture. Add egg whites.
> 5. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight, to allow flavors to
> blend.
> 6. Check for moisture. If too dry, add more pickle juice or milk until
> desired consistency is achieved.
> 7. Sprinkle paprika on top just prior to serving, if desired.
>
> VARIATIONS:
> - Use dill pickle relish instead of chopped pickles.
> - Use fresh minced onions in place of onion powder.
> - Add finely chopped celery for crunchiness.
> - Add a dash of tabasco sauce for a little extra zing.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> -

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:

>Since it's summer I thought Thanksgiving turkey
> would be perfect if the even would take place in winter.

You can get turkey directions he
http://www.butterball.com/

I'm posting some recipes that we use for Thanksgiving dinner:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry-Orange Relish

Recipe By :Joy of Cooking
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

12 ounces fresh cranberries -- washed and sorted
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup orange juice
1 orange -- zest only

Combine all ingredients in a large skillet: Cook, uncovered, over
medium heat until most of the cranberries pop open and the mixture is
thickened, 7 to 10 minutes. Cool and refrigerate.

Cuisine:
"American"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories :

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still
hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1
day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

* Exported from MasterCook *

James Beard's Basic Bread Stuffing

Recipe By :James Beard
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 cup butter -- (2 sticks)
1 cup finely chopped shallots, onions, or spring
onions
8 cups fresh bread crumbs -- with crusts
1 teaspoon dried tarragon -- moistened with ....
1 tablespoon white wine -- for one hour
1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon salt -- or to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Place the butter, shallots or onions in a saucepan, and allow the
butter to melt over low heat. Do not sauté the shallots. Combine with
the crumbs and other ingredients and toss lightly. Add more melted
butter if needed, and taste for seasoning. Stuff the bird lightly just
before roasting.

Herb Variations:

Instead of tarragon you can use any of the following herbs to taste.
(It is better not to mix herbs, except for the addition of parsley, but
mix if you must.)

1. About 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, soaked in a little white wine for
an hour.
2. Sage. Use with discretion, or it smothers all other flavors.
3. Summer savory. This has a delicious flavor for turkey and is less
known than most herbs.
4. Basil. The fresh is delicious and superb in the stuffing of a
spitted bird. If fresh is not available, use about 2 teaspoons of dried
basil, soaked in white wine beforehand.

Another way to give the flavor of fresh basil to your dressing is by
adding pesto, the Italian sauce normally used with pasta. Fortunately,
it freezes rather well, so pesto can be made when fresh basil is in the
market or in your herb garden and it is possible to have it with your
Thanksgiving or Christmas bird. Add about 3 tablespoons of pesto or
more to the basic bread stuffing.

Additives for Basic Bread Stuffing:

You will have to reduce the amount of crumbs, depending upon the
quantityof additive.

1. 1 1/2 to 2 cups coarsely broken cooked chestnuts (These may be
purchased in tins).
2. 1 cup or more toasted salted filberts.
3. 1 cup or more toasted unblanched almonds.
4. 1 cup or more salted pecan halves.
5. 1 1/2 to 2 cups toasted walnut halves.
6. 2 cups finely diced celery. This makes a delicious change in the
basic stuffing and is also good in goose.
7. 1 1/2 cups of finely diced fennel bulb. Omit any other herb save
parsley.
8. A head of finely shredded Boston lettuce. Added to the basic
stuffing at the last minute, this is surprisingly good. You may find
you need additional salt.
9. Giblets. Chop the gizzard and heart very fine; reserve the liver.
Sauté the gizzard and heart with the onions just enough to color them,
then mix with the rest of the ingredients. Use the liver in the sauce
later. Sauté it lightly in butter and chop exceedingly fine before
adding.

Makes enough for a 10-pound bird.

Cuisine:
"American"
Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
-

NOTES : The rule for figuring out the proper amount of stuffing is easy
to remember -- approximately 1 cup per pound of bird. This works very
well unless you want stuffing for only one meal, in which case this
quantity is excessive. So, starting from the maximum, reduce the among
of stuffing to suit your needs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.

When our Aussie relatives came to visit last year we decided to present
a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, complete with roast turkey,
stuffing, cranberries, the works. It was a lot of fun putting it all
together in September, and everyone loved it. If you want my recipes,
let me know and I'll be glad to post, but not worth the time if you
decide to go the burger and dog route that many others have suggested.

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Traditional American dishes to me, a

Fried Chicken
Potato Salad
Corn on the Cob
Watermelon
Apple Pie
Coca Cola

Good luck!

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"ca1522" > wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

Considering that America is populated by people from all over the world
who all have their own culinary traditions, you are asking a lot.

I guess the most native cooking tradition is Creole, but since I am not
a fan of Creole cuisine, I can't provide any recipes.

There are also different foods that are common for certain holidays. For
example, the upcoming July 4th holiday has its old standards. July 4th
is America's Independence Day and a common way to ring in that holiday
is to have a cookout with lots of barbecued meats such as hamburgers,
ribs, chicken, macaroni salad, potato salad, corn on the cob, with water
mellon and apple pie for dessert.

If I have to pick one dessert that typifies American cuisine, it would
be Apple pie with vanilla ice cream, or just apple pie alone, but other
countries such as England also enjoy apple pie, so I can't say its
unique to here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> People have been making a lot of suggestions to you (mostly for
>> southeastern US dishes), including potato salad. Here is my recipe.
>> You can use less (or no) dill if you'd prefer it that way. If you
>> omit the dill, you may use milk instead of pickle juice.

> That's true, I hadn't thought about the dishes being "southern" or
> "southeastern"... Well, baked beans and brown bread would cover the
> Northeast I guess? And then there is Tex-Mex, and California-Mex,and a
> lot of seafood from the Northwest.
> Not ever to forget Barb's beloved "Hotdish"

How about seafood chowder, boiled lobster with butter, corn on the cob,
Caesar salad, and key lime pie?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Thank you to all who responded! I thought about apple pie myself as
> something vrery AMERICAN.
>
> The event is taken place in July and the main theme is US, so I
> everything which I very American will do. It's sort of theme party
> with special food. Since it's summer I thought Thanksgiving turkey
> would be perfect if the even would take place in winter.
>
> I think potato salad is great start (we also have potato salad here,
> different one though) and Apple Pie is good dessert.

Americans wouldn't usually eat potato salad with turkey. Especially not at
Thanksgiving.

Mashed potatoes, yes. Sweet potatoes, yes.

If you can get sweet potatoes or yams, try this:

Bake 5 large sweet potatoes or yams, and let cool.

Peel and mash.

Melt 1/4 pound butter, and beat into mashed sweet potatoes with about 1/4
cup or more sherry (oloroso or cream) or--preferably--bourbon (it is hard to
find bourbon in Europe, where I gather you are). Season to taste with salt,
fresh pepper, and fresh nutmeg. (Can be prepared in advance up to this
point and refrigerated) Transfer to baking dish and bake at 350F until hot.

> I thought about
> hamburgers and hot dogs but those are a bit too much this time, I'm
> looking for something like main dish.

Depending on how much money you wish to spend, what's available, and how
formal the event will be, you could try turkey, Maine lobster, or Southern
fried chicken.

I would avoid baked beans unless you are prepared to make them yourself (a
long process, somewhat similar to making cassoulet) or can get B&M brand.
(Heinz beans in tomato sauce as eaten by the British will not do.)

If you can't get fresh corn on the cob or it isn't good corn, try making a
corn pudding or corn chowder with frozen corn instead. (I'll post the
recipes if you want them.)

Everyone has their own way of making potato salad. Here's how I do it:

Set about 4 lbs Yukon Gold (or Eastern boiling-type potatoes, NOT baking
potatoes) to boil in their skins. Cut large potatoes if necessary to make
them all about the same size.

Meanwhile, peel and finely chop a large onion. Scrape into large bowl.

To the onion, add about 5 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 tablespoons of non-red
vinegar (apple cider preferably because it is very tart, but white wine and
the like are acceptable), a heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard, freshly
ground pepper and, if you wish, either a dollop of good chicken base (such
as Better than Bouillon) or a chicken bouillon cube (such as Knorr) mashed
and melted in a couple tablespoons--no more!--of boiling water from the
potatoes. If you don't add the chicken stuff, make sure you add about a
teaspoon of salt. Also add either a clove or two of garlic very finely
minced or some good garlic powder (NOT garlic salt). Mix this dressing up,
and let it sit while the potatoes cook.

When the potatoes are just nicely tender all the way through but not falling
apart, drain them and let sit for a few minutes until you can barely handle
them, probably by holding in a potholder or cloth, and they have firmed up
slightly. One by one, peel them and roughly slice into the onion mixture.
Fold dressing and potatoes together, being careful not to mash the potatoes,
and let cool. The hot potatoes will absorb the dressing and wilt the onions.

Meanwhile, trim and fairly finely dice a rib or two of celery, and trim and
less-finely dice a green bell pepper.

When the potatoes are lukewarm, mix together about 3/4 cup of Hellman's
Mayonnaise and 1/2 cup sour cream. (This is also the best time to add more
mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder and/or vinegar. You might want to taste
a potato first and decide if it will need more of any of these.) Having made
your adjustments, fold the mayo mixture through the potatoes. Add the celery
and green pepper, and finish folding. Chill until serving time. Adjust
seasonings, but never commit the abomination of putting PAPRIKA on your
potato salad! <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> There are also different foods that are common for certain holidays.
> For example, the upcoming July 4th holiday has its old standards.
> July 4th is America's Independence Day and a common way to ring in
> that holiday is to have a cookout with lots of barbecued meats such
> as hamburgers, ribs, chicken, macaroni salad, potato salad, corn on
> the cob, with water mellon and apple pie for dessert.

In Maine, the classic Fourth of July combo was salmon and fresh peas, with
strawberry shortcake. (Spring comes later here! <G>

> If I have to pick one dessert that typifies American cuisine, it would
> be Apple pie with vanilla ice cream, or just apple pie alone, but
> other countries such as England also enjoy apple pie, so I can't say
> its unique to here.

I'd say that pumpkin and blueberry are both far more uniquely American than
apple. Not to mention Key Lime and pecan(add some dark navy rum and the
sweetness won't kill ya).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>, "ca1522" > wrote:

>Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
>dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.

Given the summertime heat: what about including a nice root beer (as you
didn't want Coke) float? Ideally with chocolate ice cream, but some weird
folks like vanilla.

What a nice way to finish your meal of hamburgers and homemade baked beans.

Art

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What?!?!?!?!?! Nobody mentioned KOOL AID???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

> Given the summertime heat: what about including a nice root beer (as you
> didn't want Coke) float? Ideally with chocolate ice cream, but some weird
> folks like vanilla.
>
> What a nice way to finish your meal of hamburgers and homemade baked beans.
>
> Art

Getouttahere!? Was chocolate the original float ice cream flavor? I
can't imagine... vanilla just seems so..right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

>> Given the summertime heat: what about including a nice root beer (as you
>> didn't want Coke) float? Ideally with chocolate ice cream, but some
>> weird folks like vanilla. What a nice way to finish your meal of
>> hamburgers and homemade baked beans.
>>

> Getouttahere!? Was chocolate the original float ice cream flavor? I can't
> imagine... vanilla just seems so..right.

Although I love chocolate, I'm not sure I'd like a root beer float with
chocolate ice cream. But use cream soda, cola, or Nehi peach soda instead of
the root beer with chocolate ice cream, and I'll be all over it.

BTW, I was surprised to discover that I like the new Coke "Blak" drink, a
mixture of Coca-cola with coffee. The coffee really brings out a strong
caramel flavor in the coke. I'll have to try *that* with chocolate ice
cream.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> BTW, I was surprised to discover that I like the new Coke "Blak" drink, a
> mixture of Coca-cola with coffee. The coffee really brings out a strong
> caramel flavor in the coke. I'll have to try *that* with chocolate ice
> cream.

That's not in my area yet, that I'm aware of?
Have you ever tried MezzoMix soda in Europe? It is half cola, half
orange soda. It is an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first but it
grew on me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ca1522" > wrote in message
oups.com
:: Hello!
::
:: I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional
USA
:: type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional
American
:: dishes.
::
:: Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad,
main
:: dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
::
:: I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
::
:: Greetings, Isabel

Smoked BBQed spare ribs. Dry rubbed, no sauce. Especially for the
Fourth of July.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" > wrote in message
oups.com
:: What?!?!?!?!?! Nobody mentioned KOOL AID???

And I even forgot about Jello shooters...

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jun 2006 06:56:44 -0700, "ca1522" > wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
>type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
>dishes.
>
>Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
>dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
>I'd really appreciate any help I could get.
>
>Greetings, Isabel

If you don't want to do a cookout or bbq, what about meatloaf and
mashed potatoes with the skins in? Don't forget American lemonade to
drink (not the fizzy stuff) and iced tea or rootbeer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29 Jun 2006 06:56:44 -0700, "ca1522" > wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
>type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
>dishes.
>
>Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
>dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.

Southern USA:

Beans with smoked ham hock
Turnip greens
Cornbread
Sweet Tea

Cheers,
DreamSong
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 18:10:35 GMT, Janet Puistonen wrote:

> Not to mention Key Lime and pecan(add some dark navy rum and the
> sweetness won't kill ya).

Dark rum you say? Great! I've always used kahula, but I'll try rum
next time. Yum!
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf <sfpipeline_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Ham and eggs.

I think of that as a transplant from Britain. (Except
that the call the ham "bacon".)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

L, not -L wrote:

> Grill brats (bratwurst), served on a hotdog bun, with sauted onion slices
> and mustard. Potato salad (mustard-style preferred) and baked beans.
> Dessert of white cake, with white icing, decorated as an American flag
> (strawberry slices in rows on top of icing for red stripes, blueberries in
> upper-left corner to make the blue field for the stars of white icing dots).
> To drink - iced tea or beer (Budweiser or Coors); actually, if you are
> European and like beer, go for the iced tea - American beer will likely
> disappoint.

I vote for this one! Except you forgot the sauerkraut for the
bratwurst. ;o)

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 01:07:19 GMT, L, not -L wrote:

> Grill brats (bratwurst), served on a hotdog bun, with sauted onion slices
> and mustard. Potato salad (mustard-style preferred) and baked beans.

I like to grill up hot italian sausage and serve them with raw onion,
tomato, good mustard and fresh avocado. Mmmmm.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Coca-Cola Blak

Goomba38 wrote about Coca-Cola Blak:

> That's not in my area yet, that I'm aware of?

I thought it had been released nationwide. Where do you live?

In my area (North-Central California), it's not stocked with the normal soft
drinks; it's stocked with the energy drinks. I'm not sure how your local
grocery stores are laid out, but that's where I'd look. I've also gotten it
from convenience stores, also stocked with the energy drinks.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ca1522 wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope somebody is able to help me. We're planning one traditional USA
> type of event, and we also like to offer some very traditional American
> dishes.
>
> Could anybody name me few dishes with recipes, like some salad, main
> dish and dessert, and some drink besides Coca-Cola.
>
> I'd really appreciate any help I could get.

I love a Thanksgiving meal year round.

Roast turkey. Buy pieces instead of trying to roast the whole bird.
Then place on a baking dish, pour on a little olive oil, and sprinkle
with dried herbs. Bake until done. Simple and delicious.
Corn on the cob or corn bread.
Zucchini lightly sauteed with herbs, vinaigrette and goat cheese.
Caesar Salad.
Cranberry sauce. (Frozen cranberries should be available this time of
year.)
Pecan pie.
Pumpkin pie.
Apple pie.
Blueberry cobbler.

Someone else suggested watermelon. I'd forgotten it, but it is a good
idea. Try to find a big one, and put it in a ice cooler with ice for a
while before slicing and serving in wedges.

For a drink, beer or apple cider are very American. Also cocktails and
a dry martini. Lemonade for the kids and non-drinkers.

--Lia