Old 27-06-2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

I will be a college student soon

That means moving furnishings back forth between home
and apartment at school

I will be an adult college student so living alone in
apartment... NOT in dorm

Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
microwave and toaster oven?

Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
possible

Advice?

Old 27-06-2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on 27 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

I will be a college student soon

That means moving furnishings back forth between home
and apartment at school

I will be an adult college student so living alone in
apartment... NOT in dorm

Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
microwave and toaster oven?

Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
possible

Advice?

Depends on what you plan to do...If it's only reheat pre-packaged or
frozen foods then either selections would fit the bill.

If it's cook your own foods then you need more stuff.

A combo nuker won't make toast.

Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

But for more of a survival type cooking...a microwave and a can opener
will kinda keep you alive.

Now what size is the college apartment...will you have counterspace for
assorted appliances? Doesn't the college apartment come with a stove and
fridge? or are we talking dorm room?
Old 27-06-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

This is probably a better combo for me
Old 27-06-2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kane" wrote:

If you can find one yes, definately, at least I loved mine. The
ability to bake bread in it was the best part.

are you talking abt toaster oven?
Old 27-06-2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Maybe a better question to ask is.... what can a GOOD
toaster oven do?

What kinds of foods can it cook well?
Old 27-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy q wrote:

I have a small cuisinart toaster/convection oven. Broil, convection or
normal bake with temp control and timer.

This looks interesting, Get good reviews on net

http://tinyurl.com/eohn3

But the little box is portable as heck and it will do toast!

Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well

Somebody else mentioned if you've got an apartment, you've already got a
stove and fridge. Or say it ain't so!

I will have an apartment at first. But have
"entertained" buying a small RV and living in it while
back in college. remember I will be an adult student so
time and space and money are factors. Hence my thought
on two separate devices vs one combo oven

Old 27-06-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in :

Andy q wrote:

I have a small cuisinart toaster/convection oven. Broil, convection or
normal bake with temp control and timer.

This looks interesting, Get good reviews on net

http://tinyurl.com/eohn3

But the little box is portable as heck and it will do toast!

Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well

Somebody else mentioned if you've got an apartment, you've already got

stove and fridge. Or say it ain't so!

I will have an apartment at first. But have
"entertained" buying a small RV and living in it while
back in college. remember I will be an adult student so
time and space and money are factors. Hence my thought
on two separate devices vs one combo oven

me,

Here's the model that I have:

http://www.tinyurl.com/ghx79

Broader cooking surface if that matters. I imagine it would.

Andy

Old 27-06-2006, 11:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:44:08 -0500, wrote:

Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well

do you have a target nearby? I saw a small one that actually popped
up toast. That was a first for me. Take a look!
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.