Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito Mr Libido Incognito is offline

Default Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

wrote on 27 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?
>
> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?
>
> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
> possible
>
> Advice?

Depends on what you plan to do...If it's only reheat pre-packaged or
frozen foods then either selections would fit the bill.

If it's cook your own foods then you need more stuff.

A combo nuker won't make toast.

Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

But for more of a survival type cooking...a microwave and a can opener
will kinda keep you alive.

Now what size is the college apartment...will you have counterspace for
assorted appliances? Doesn't the college apartment come with a stove and
fridge? or are we talking dorm room?