FoodBanter.com

-   -   Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/94812-convection-microwave-vs-reg.html)

[email protected] 27-06-2006 04:34 PM

Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

I will be a college student soon

That means moving furnishings back forth between home
and apartment at school

I will be an adult college student so living alone in
apartment... NOT in dorm

Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
microwave and toaster oven?

Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
possible

Advice?

Mr Libido Incognito 27-06-2006 04:59 PM

Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

wrote on 27 Jun 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?
>
> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?
>
> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if
> possible
>
> Advice?

Depends on what you plan to do...If it's only reheat pre-packaged or
frozen foods then either selections would fit the bill.

If it's cook your own foods then you need more stuff.

A combo nuker won't make toast.

Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

But for more of a survival type cooking...a microwave and a can opener
will kinda keep you alive.

Now what size is the college apartment...will you have counterspace for
assorted appliances? Doesn't the college apartment come with a stove and
fridge? or are we talking dorm room?

[email protected] 27-06-2006 05:36 PM

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

>Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
>toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

This is probably a better combo for me

John Kane 27-06-2006 06:55 PM

wrote:
> I will be a college student soon
>
> That means moving furnishings back forth between home
> and apartment at school
>
> I will be an adult college student so living alone in
> apartment... NOT in dorm
>
> Should I shun buying a bigger heaver more expensive
> combo convection microwave over say a cheap reg
> microwave and toaster oven?

If you can find one yes, definately, at least I loved mine. The
ability to bake bread in it was the best part.

> Will the two cheaper units (toaster oven, reg
> microwave)..... do everything a combo oven will do?

>From the toaster ovens I have seen: NO. A decent convection oven might

but I am not sure. The toaster ovens I have seen are just too small for
a lot of things.

> You see the combo ovens are bulkier and heavier as
> well...so don't want to have to haul that around if possible

Well is it easier to haul around one rather heavy piece or two medium
pieces. I'd say that it is a toss-up. I would also think about
self/counter space. Unless you can stack the toaster over/ microwave
you are going in to use a lot of counter space.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

John Kane 27-06-2006 06:56 PM

wrote:
> Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:
>
> >Myself I'd settle for an electric frypan a crockpot, a microwave and
> >toaster oven because I'd be cooking more from scratch.

> This is probably a better combo for me

While the frying pan and the crockpot sound good I don't the a
microwave and toaster oven is the equivalent of a good
convection/microwave.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

[email protected] 27-06-2006 08:34 PM

"John Kane" > wrote:

>If you can find one yes, definately, at least I loved mine. The
>ability to bake bread in it was the best part.

are you talking abt toaster oven?

[email protected] 27-06-2006 08:35 PM

Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven?

Maybe a better question to ask is.... what can a GOOD
toaster oven do?

What kinds of foods can it cook well?

Andy[_2_] 27-06-2006 09:10 PM

wrote in :

> Maybe a better question to ask is.... what can a GOOD
> toaster oven do?
>
> What kinds of foods can it cook well?

me,

I have a small cuisinart toaster/convection oven. Broil, convection or
normal bake with temp control and timer.

It'll easily do "dinner dogs". I've cooked sirloin tri-tip steaks using
convection. Reheating cold pizza slices (Thanks Wayne!) for breakfast.

You can toss small portions of most anything and using aluminum foil to
blanket the cooking trays (CAREFULLY tucking to avoid electric shock) and
have little or no clean up.

You can cook up plastic tray "low temp" dinners.

A downside is you can't cook many things at once.

But the little box is portable as heck and it will do toast!

Somebody else mentioned if you've got an apartment, you've already got a
stove and fridge. Or say it ain't so!

Andy

sf[_1_] 27-06-2006 09:23 PM

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:35:10 -0500, wrote:

> Maybe a better question to ask is.... what can a GOOD
> toaster oven do?
>
> What kinds of foods can it cook well?

It can bake anything you can fit into it although I don't recommend
doing roasting meat because of the mess factor.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.

[email protected] 27-06-2006 09:44 PM

Andy <q> wrote:

>I have a small cuisinart toaster/convection oven. Broil, convection or
>normal bake with temp control and timer.

This looks interesting, Get good reviews on net

http://tinyurl.com/eohn3

>But the little box is portable as heck and it will do toast!

Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well

>Somebody else mentioned if you've got an apartment, you've already got a
>stove and fridge. Or say it ain't so!

I will have an apartment at first. But have
"entertained" buying a small RV and living in it while
back in college. remember I will be an adult student so
time and space and money are factors. Hence my thought
on two separate devices vs one combo oven

Andy[_2_] 27-06-2006 09:57 PM

wrote in :

> Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>I have a small cuisinart toaster/convection oven. Broil, convection or
>>normal bake with temp control and timer.

> This looks interesting, Get good reviews on net

http://tinyurl.com/eohn3

>>But the little box is portable as heck and it will do toast!

> Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well
>
>>Somebody else mentioned if you've got an apartment, you've already got

>>stove and fridge. Or say it ain't so!

> I will have an apartment at first. But have
> "entertained" buying a small RV and living in it while
> back in college. remember I will be an adult student so
> time and space and money are factors. Hence my thought
> on two separate devices vs one combo oven

me,

Here's the model that I have:

http://www.tinyurl.com/ghx79

Broader cooking surface if that matters. I imagine it would.

Andy

sf[_1_] 27-06-2006 11:53 PM

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:44:08 -0500, wrote:

> Yep would want a toaster oven that does toast well

do you have a target nearby? I saw a small one that actually popped
up toast. That was a first for me. Take a look!