Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanting to collect the cream

Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.

I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top of
the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the cream is
still visible.

The cream is sooo thin compared to what I'm used to buying. When I try to
spoon any off, the spoon just mixes it up.

I don't have one of these
gadget spoons http://waltonfeed.com/old/butter.html
Collecting the cream: You must first get the cream. You do this by letting
the raw whole milk sit for several hours. The cream will naturally float to
the top. You can skim this off the top of the milk. We used a `cream ladle'
which was a large spoon shaped piece of tin with holes in it - the holes
being about 1/16 inch in diameter. The milk ran out the holes but the cream
wouldn't. The cream was collected and put in the root cellar, the coldest
place we had. Every morning we collected the cream from the previous day's
milking and added it to the other cream we had collected. After about a week
we had enough cream to make a batch of butter. Note: the colder the milk the
thicker the cream. If you have the refrigeration, get the milk as cool as
you can without freezing it. Otherwise put it into a cool creek if you have
one handy.
Unquote.

Help needed! I want to collect my cream

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>
> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top of
> the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the cream is
> still visible.

When I was a youngun and milk was delivered daily it used to come in a bottle
with a little teat affair at the top. The neck of the bottle narrowed, then
flared out a bit and narrowed again. The cream used to raise to the top. We had
a special spoon that was a round bowl on the end of a long curved handle and it
was placed in the top of the bottle and shoved down to separate the milk form
the cream and then the cream was poured off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>
> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top
> of
> the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the cream
> is
> still visible.
>
> The cream is sooo thin compared to what I'm used to buying. When I try to
> spoon any off, the spoon just mixes it up.
>
> I don't have one of these
> gadget spoons http://waltonfeed.com/old/butter.html
>> Help needed! I want to collect my cream

We always just used a regular gravy ladle. By the time I quit getting milk
straight from the cow I could skim off nearly all the cream with an ordinary
gravy ladle. You don't dip it deep enough to dip into the milk. You use a
skimming motion instead of a dipping motion and it won't mix the two up as
much.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>
>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top
>> of
>> the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the cream
>> is
>> still visible.

> When I was a youngun and milk was delivered daily it used to come in a
> bottle
> with a little teat affair at the top. The neck of the bottle narrowed,
> then
> flared out a bit and narrowed again. The cream used to raise to the top.
> We had
> a special spoon that was a round bowl on the end of a long curved handle
> and it
> was placed in the top of the bottle and shoved down to separate the milk
> form
> the cream and then the cream was poured off.

We called the cream on top "crilk". And if the cream froze while the bottle
was still sitting on the porch, it pushed up the cardboard top and your mom
let you have the "ice cream".

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:
> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>
> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top of
> the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the cream is
> still visible.
>
> The cream is sooo thin compared to what I'm used to buying. When I try to
> spoon any off, the spoon just mixes it up.

Dee,

Maybe you are trying to separate the cream too soon? I have noticed
that if we have not finished last week's milk and let the new milk sit
in the fridge for a day or two, the cream gets very thick and solid.

I use a regular ladle and just make sure not to dip down into the milk
when I am scooping it out.

I am not sure where you are getting your milk, maybe you are getting
milk that has already had some of the cream removed?

We get ours from a farm in Nokesville that also has butter, eggs and
pork and the milk always has a thick layer of cream.

Robyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>

>>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>>
>>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on
>>> the top of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason
>>> jars, and the cream is still visible.

>> When I was a youngun and milk was delivered daily it used to come
>> in a bottle with a little teat affair at the top. The neck of the
>> bottle narrowed, then flared out a bit and narrowed again. The
>> cream used to raise to the top. We had a special spoon that was a
>> round bowl on the end of a long curved handle and it was placed in
>> the top of the bottle and shoved down to separate the milk form the
>> cream and then the cream was poured off.

> We called the cream on top "crilk". And if the cream froze while the
> bottle was still sitting on the porch, it pushed up the cardboard top
> and your mom let you have the "ice cream".

My mom talks about that, and also how her younger brother liked to drink
the cream off the top of the bottle with a staw then claim it was his
imaginary horse that did it.

The milkman that *I* remember dropped off a five-gallon semi-rigid bag
of milk with a spigot on it which lasted our family of 4 about a week.
I wish that service was still available but then again I'd need a bigger
fridge.

Just the other day I was thinking about that...

How come I've got this fridge that's way bigger than anything my mom
ever had when we were growing up and I've still never got enough room?

Answer:

Fresh produce. Mom used mostly canned vegetables and they didn't take
up fridge space.

Also, whole grain bread. Mom bought Wonderbread and we ate a lot of it
so it was okay on the counter in the plastic bag it came in. I keep the
whole grain breads that I prefer in the fridge. The family likes bread
but doesn't eat a ton of it so a loaf may last most of a week as a
single-slice toasted breakfast treat.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese wrote:

> > a special spoon that was a round bowl on the end of a long curved handle
> > and it
> > was placed in the top of the bottle and shoved down to separate the milk
> > form
> > the cream and then the cream was poured off.

> We called the cream on top "crilk". And if the cream froze while the bottle
> was still sitting on the porch, it pushed up the cardboard top and your mom
> let you have the "ice cream".

I was never a fan of milk, but all my brothers were, especially the next older.
If he got the the milk first he shook it up and he had homo milk. My father
was never happy about that because he liked the cream in his tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...

> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>
> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top
> of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the
> cream is still visible.

I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...
>
>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>
>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top
>> of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the
>> cream is still visible.

> I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)

A cream separator works great, but have you ever washed one? It has to be
taken apart into a bunch of parts, washed carefully, then reassembled. It's
hardly worth the effort unless you are processing 20gal or more of milk,
which I doubt Dee is going to need to do.

--Rich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:01:23p, Rich meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...
>>
>>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>>
>>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the
>>> top of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and
>>> the cream is still visible.

>> I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)

> A cream separator works great, but have you ever washed one? It has to
> be taken apart into a bunch of parts, washed carefully, then
> reassembled. It's hardly worth the effort unless you are processing
> 20gal or more of milk, which I doubt Dee is going to need to do.

I've seen them used, but never seen them washed afterwards. I was really
just kidding Dee. She's so often over the top with her equipment. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...
>
>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>
>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the top
>> of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and the
>> cream is still visible.

> I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

I don't know about them--
Are you joshing me?
I can't tell if you are. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 07:13:26p, Dee Randall meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...
>>
>>> Sorry, the last posting got sent before finishing up.
>>>
>>> I bought my first gallon of raw milk and the cream is visible on the
>>> top of the jar. I put this milk into two 1/2 gallon mason jars, and
>>> the cream is still visible.

>> I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> I don't know about them--
> Are you joshing me?
> I can't tell if you are. :-))
> Dee Dee

No, really. Here's an old table model similar to the one my grandmother
used to use on the farm.

I don't know if there are modern versions on a small scale.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 07:15:14p, Dee Randall meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> 28.19...
>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:01:23p, Rich meant to say...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 28.19...

>>> A cream separator works great, but have you ever washed one? It has to
>>> be taken apart into a bunch of parts, washed carefully, then
>>> reassembled. It's hardly worth the effort unless you are processing
>>> 20gal or more of milk, which I doubt Dee is going to need to do.

>> I've seen them used, but never seen them washed afterwards. I was
>> really just kidding Dee. She's so often over the top with her
>> equipment. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> Yes, I like anything new and shiny. Wayne knows me well. :-))
> Doesn't mean I get it, but I like it.
> Dee Dee

I know that because I'm the same way. :-)

I once owned a Dormeyer deep fryer that I hauled around with me every time
I moved and never actually used it for 15 years. I just needed to own one.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 07:15:14p, Dee Randall meant to say...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 28.19...
>>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:01:23p, Rich meant to say...

>>> I've seen them used, but never seen them washed afterwards. I was
>>> really just kidding Dee. She's so often over the top with her
>>> equipment. :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

>> Yes, I like anything new and shiny. Wayne knows me well. :-))
>> Doesn't mean I get it, but I like it.
>> Dee Dee

> I know that because I'm the same way. :-)
>
> I once owned a Dormeyer deep fryer that I hauled around with me every time
> I moved and never actually used it for 15 years. I just needed to own one.
> :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Oh, my, Wayne -- I'm starting to think I've had my deep fryer (still in the
box) too long; but then again, I've seen others that are tempting. Poor DH
just keeps moving the box to this area, then this area.
I know about the "need to own one" -- "just in case." "Be prepared." I
want the experience.

I asked dear cousin why he kept collecting those 'old time records.' He
asked me, "Didn't you ever feel the need to collect anything?" I guess he
didn't know me that well.

DeeDee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Also, whole grain bread. Mom bought Wonderbread and we ate a lot of it
> so it was okay on the counter in the plastic bag it came in. I keep the
> whole grain breads that I prefer in the fridge. The family likes bread
> but doesn't eat a ton of it so a loaf may last most of a week as a
> single-slice toasted breakfast treat.

If you're only using it slice by slice, you'd be better off keeping
it in the freezer. The whole grain stuff will still go stale more
quickly in the fridge than on the counter.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>>Also, whole grain bread. Mom bought Wonderbread and we ate a lot of it
>>so it was okay on the counter in the plastic bag it came in. I keep the
>>whole grain breads that I prefer in the fridge. The family likes bread
>>but doesn't eat a ton of it so a loaf may last most of a week as a
>>single-slice toasted breakfast treat.

> If you're only using it slice by slice, you'd be better off keeping
> it in the freezer. The whole grain stuff will still go stale more
> quickly in the fridge than on the counter.

Eh? Not in my experience. Cold and stiff, yeah (which can be remedied
in the toaster), but not stale and certainly not furry.

Kathleen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, I like anything new and shiny. Wayne knows me well. :-)) Doesn't
mean I get it, but I like it.
Dee Dee
I know that because I'm the same way. :-)
I once owned a Dormeyer deep fryer that I hauled around with me every
time I moved and never actually used it for 15 years. I just needed to
own one.
:-)
--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
I hope you don't mind me jumping in here
but I have several items I rarely if ever use; one is a casserole dish
with warming pads or cold pads which I rarely use, maybe once a year but
I just had to have it! I felt the need for a food chopped to chop
onions, etc. the other day, brought it home and can't find a place to
put it. It's too tall for the space my old one occupied so it just
"floats" around on my countertop, unopened. My old old old nut chopper
jar
suddenly had a broken piece of glsss on it and I was afraid it would get
in the chopped nuts. Throw it away, No, but I'm looing in junk shops
for a jar which will fit the lid-nut-chopper. Jeanette

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 07:13:26p, Dee Randall meant to say...
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > 28.19...
> >> Oh pshaw, on Tue 06 Jun 2006 06:50:35a, Dee Randall meant to say...

> >> I'm surprised you didn't buy a cream separator. :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬ _____________________

> > I don't know about them--
> > Are you joshing me?
> > I can't tell if you are. :-))
> > Dee Dee

> No, really. Here's an old table model similar to the one my grandmother
> used to use on the farm.

Wheref?

> I don't know if there are modern versions on a small scale.

I never realised that there were small ones. Ours was about 4-5 feet
high when fully assembled and handled about 3-4 gallons (14-18l) at a
time and was originally hand cranked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Thu 08 Jun 2006 07:32:36a, Jeanette S. meant to say...

> Yes, I like anything new and shiny. Wayne knows me well. :-)) Doesn't
> mean I get it, but I like it.
> Dee Dee
> I know that because I'm the same way. :-)
> I once owned a Dormeyer deep fryer that I hauled around with me every
> time I moved and never actually used it for 15 years. I just needed to
> own one.
>:-)
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> I hope you don't mind me jumping in here
> but I have several items I rarely if ever use; one is a casserole dish
> with warming pads or cold pads which I rarely use, maybe once a year but
> I just had to have it! I felt the need for a food chopped to chop
> onions, etc. the other day, brought it home and can't find a place to
> put it. It's too tall for the space my old one occupied so it just
> "floats" around on my countertop, unopened. My old old old nut chopper
> jar
> suddenly had a broken piece of glsss on it and I was afraid it would get
> in the chopped nuts. Throw it away, No, but I'm looing in junk shops
> for a jar which will fit the lid-nut-chopper. Jeanette

We thnk alike! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬