Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanting advice on Corn Cheese Chowder

At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.

Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.

Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?

....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:32:11 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz wrote:

> At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
> Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
> creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
> flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
> appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
> made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.
>
> Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
> restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
> remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
> canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
> carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
> and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.
>
> Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
> the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
> brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
> there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
> for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
> spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
> salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?
>
> ...Picky

was it peppy at all? i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
bay or maybe tabasco at the table.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:50:07 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:32:11 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz wrote:
>
>> At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
>> Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
>> creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
>> flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
>> appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
>> made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.
>>
>> Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
>> restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
>> remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
>> canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
>> carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
>> and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.
>>
>> Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
>> the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
>> brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
>> there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
>> for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
>> spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
>> salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?
>>
>> ...Picky

>was it peppy at all? i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
>bay or maybe tabasco at the table.

You don't need that stuff for corn chowder (old bay, especially). I
don't put cheese in mine, but corn and clam is a good combination.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

**************On Sep 20, 9:50*am, blake murphy
> wrote:
> was it peppy at all? *i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
> bay or maybe tabasco at the table.

Thank you for asking/contributing, Blake. I made a huge pot (2
gallons?) of corn chowder yesterday, and today have portioned it into
6 two cup servings now frozen for myself; about 4 cups went to a
friend's inlaws, and I have a dish of about three cups in the
refrigerator for tomorrow's dinner. It came out very good for a first
attempt. Though I will be making small changes (...) next time,
here's what I did:

Corny Potato Cheese Chowder
1/4 lb. chopped panchetta (more, or use 1/2 lb. bacon)
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 cup Wondra flour; the fine shaker sort for making gravy
1 cup cold water (a cup of cold broth instead)
1 box Swanson chicked broth
6 large red potatoes, peeled and chopped fairly small (4 reds and two
large russets for more thickening)
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped small,1/2"x1/4"
2 cans corn, the larger, fatter cans, juice included
1 can creamed corn
1 tsp. kosher flake salt
2 tsp. fresh ground white peppercorns (for Blake's good idea to heat,
perhaps 1 tsp. fine grind chili powder)
1 tsp. dried marjorum leaves
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
(1 fat tsp. ground chili powder or 6-8 drops tabasco)
1 qt. half & half
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
Salt & pepper to taste
3 Tbsp. butter

Using the "huge" stainless pot, brown panchetta. Using a wire
strainer over the pan, drain panchetta and reserve. Brown onion in
pan drippings. Add chix broth to heat well, then jar-shake water and
flour to pour into onion & broth. On high heat, stir until blended
well and the raw flour taste cooks out. Bring this to a boil then add
in all veggies and seasonings. Lower heat and cover pot to simmer for
about 20 minutes, stirring and scraping pot bottom at least every 5
minutes. After the carrots and spuds have softened, pour in warmed
half & half and cheese; simmer until all is hot and blended well.
Taste for possible seasoning adds, and last, stir in butter. While
cooling down to an eating temp. as flavors meld, stovetop cool the
pot enough to refrigerate and/or portion for freezing/sharing.

....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:32:11 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz wrote:
>
> > At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
> > Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
> > creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
> > flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
> > appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
> > made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.
> >
> > Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
> > restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
> > remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
> > canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
> > carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
> > and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.
> >
> > Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
> > the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
> > brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
> > there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
> > for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
> > spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
> > salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?
> >
> > ...Picky

> was it peppy at all? i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
> bay or maybe tabasco at the table.

"Hot" is fine, but be careful with Tabasco -- the acid from the vinegar
can curdle cheese while-U-wait. I'd use Cayenne pepper.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:08:29 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:50:07 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 10:32:11 -0700 (PDT), PickyJaz wrote:
>>
>>> At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
>>> Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
>>> creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
>>> flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
>>> appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
>>> made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.
>>>
>>> Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
>>> restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
>>> remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
>>> canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
>>> carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
>>> and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.
>>>
>>> Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
>>> the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
>>> brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
>>> there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
>>> for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
>>> spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
>>> salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?
>>>
>>> ...Picky

>>was it peppy at all? i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
>>bay or maybe tabasco at the table.
>>

> You don't need that stuff for corn chowder (old bay, especially). I
> don't put cheese in mine, but corn and clam is a good combination.

well, um, i like a little old bay in my clam chowder, too.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:24:56 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 14:08:29 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 16:50:07 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

<snip>

>>>was it peppy at all? i would think about adding a little cayenne or old
>>>bay or maybe tabasco at the table.
>>>

>> You don't need that stuff for corn chowder (old bay, especially). I
>> don't put cheese in mine, but corn and clam is a good combination.

>well, um, i like a little old bay in my clam chowder, too.

Viva la difference. I think Old Bay detracts from rather than
enhances flavor in most cases. I do prefer it over Zatarain's for
crab boil, but Old Bay drowns out flavor when it's used any other way
as a seasoning.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>At an otherwise boring buffet dinner last week was a heavy Corn
>Chowder that was excellent (heavy as in very, non see-through
>creamy). It was very cream base thick and quite corn-cheese
>flavorful. I will be making such at home over the weekend, but would
>appreciate other chowder-makers advice. The only cream chowder I've
>made over the years has been with fresh abalone or canned clams.
>
>Because I was sure to make this corn one, I asked for details at the
>restaurant only to be told their "souperlady" was not there. The
>remaining kitchen folks gave me sureness of most bulk ingredients:
>canned corn (rather than fresh or frozen), skinned red potatoes,
>carrots, celery?, onion?, chopped green beans (or something else small
>and green), panchetta, milk-?-cream and cheese.
>
>Another store trip for advised adds is easy enough. I do have all of
>the above items, with cheese choices being at least: Philly-creamed,
>brick cheddar, sliced colby-jack, to-crumble feta and blue. Should
>there be a softer melting cheese instead? I figured on half 'n half
>for the liquid, and to mash a quarter to a third of both the corn and
>spuds for thickening. No idea on seasonings other than kosher or sea
>salt and fresh ground white peppercorns. Advice?
>
>...Picky

I'd start experimenting by using your favorite basic potato cheese
soup recipe.
I think I'd add creamed corn instead of whole kernel. In my potato
cheese soup I add diced green Ortega chilis. I smush the potatoes to
thicken the soup but leave enough large pieces to give it texture. I
also add cream cheese as well as cheddar, no cream. The only
seasonings I use are salt and pepper.

When I start the soup I saute onions in a little oil but reading your
description of what you had I think I'll use panchetta for a little
change, that sounds good.

Let us know what you decided and how it went.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 9/20
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:17:18 -0700, koko > wrote:

>I'd start experimenting by using your favorite basic potato cheese
>soup recipe.
>I think I'd add creamed corn instead of whole kernel. In my potato
>cheese soup I add diced green Ortega chilis. I smush the potatoes to
>thicken the soup but leave enough large pieces to give it texture. I
>also add cream cheese as well as cheddar, no cream. The only
>seasonings I use are salt and pepper.

I always assume chowder has some body to it, because that's the way
*I* like it. I've had thick, thin and medium body chowder. I prefer
the medium: it's not wall paper paste and it's not watery.

>When I start the soup I saute onions in a little oil but reading your
>description of what you had I think I'll use panchetta for a little
>change, that sounds good.

Considering how little I like pancetta (even the best stuff tastes
spoiled to me), I'd stick with bacon.

>Let us know what you decided and how it went.

ditto

Mae West

My corn chowder Michel Boucher[_3_] General Cooking 19 30-09-2008 12:57 AM
Corn Chowder Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 30-07-2008 02:51 AM
Corn Chowder jmcquown General Cooking 4 02-05-2006 03:39 AM
CORN CHOWDER Duckie ® Recipes 0 28-06-2005 02:38 PM
Wanting professional book advice Seymour Man General Cooking 7 10-10-2003 02:35 PM