Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Induction unit at Costco $299 for those wanting one

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11307846

I don't know what makes this induction unit worth another $100 from what you
can normally buy one (or have they gone up in price?).

It doesn't even say what size the 'rings' are --

Costco usually gives good value for the money, so if I were in the market
for a THIRD one, I'd consider it -- maybe.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:45:59 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11307846
>

>I don't know what makes this induction unit worth another $100 from what you
>can normally buy one (or have they gone up in price?).

It's not a great looking unit, but according to the manual, it offers steps of
100 degrees F and 100 watts throught its range, which is very nice.

One contradiction: the linked ad says max. temp. is 390, and the manual says
450.

I'd be tempted if I didn't already have the Puck hob, at 1/3 the price.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:45:59 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11307846
>>

>>I don't know what makes this induction unit worth another $100 from what
>>you
>>can normally buy one (or have they gone up in price?).

> It's not a great looking unit, but according to the manual, it offers
> steps of
> 100 degrees F and 100 watts throught its range, which is very nice.
>
> One contradiction: the linked ad says max. temp. is 390, and the manual
> says
> 450.
>
> I'd be tempted if I didn't already have the Puck hob, at 1/3 the price.
>
> -- Larry

Another spec listed 1800; mine is 1600. My BergHoff shows that max temp is
390.

Costco lists this as a commercial unit. Probably the reason it is box-y.
Probably a lot sturdier than mine. In a restaurant or food demo court, mine
probably wouldn't last a day with all the beating it would take.

German glass, heh? I guess my BergHoff has GERMAN glass :-))) No doubt,
Mr. Puck's does, too. I guess there's something special about German vs.
Italian ---

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sep 27, 12:03*pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:45:59 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:
> >http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11307846

> >I don't know what makes this induction unit worth another $100 from what you
> >can normally buy one *(or have they gone up in price?).

> It's not a great looking unit, but according to the manual, it offers steps of
> 100 degrees F and 100 watts throught its range, which is very nice.
>
> One contradiction: the linked ad says max. temp. is 390, and the manual says
> 450.
>
> I'd be tempted if I didn't already have the Puck hob, at 1/3 the price.
>
> -- Larry

100 degrees F steps are not very good. This prompted me to look at
the manual where I discovered that there are really 31 steps of 10
degrees each. Much, Much better and highly desirable.

My unit has 5 steps of 50 degree increments but I certainly would have
enjoyed more steps with a narrower degree change. But mine is a
household unit not a professional unit.

I find that I use the temperature settings much more frequently than
the wattage settings.

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 06:50:47 -0700 (PDT), zydecogary >
wrote:

>100 degrees F steps are not very good. This prompted me to look at
>the manual where I discovered that there are really 31 steps of 10
>degrees each. Much, Much better and highly desirable.

That was a typo on my part. I meant 10 deg. F, since my Puck too has 50 deg. F
steps.

>My unit has 5 steps of 50 degree increments but I certainly would have
>enjoyed more steps with a narrower degree change. But mine is a
>household unit not a professional unit.
>
>I find that I use the temperature settings much more frequently than
>the wattage settings.

Agreed.

-- Larry