Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default de-lurk - shopping at the local farmer's market

"Marsha" !> wrote

> hmmm, I may have hit send by accident lol!

(laugh!) I thought, that Marsha is a woman of few words.

> I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time.

I saw them in the market a few days ago, maybe I'll pick some up
next time. Wicked expensive, I won't get a whole lot. Thanks for
the idea.

> Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the first
> local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just around
> the corner :-)

Yeah, I noticed the farmers market nearby is opening this weekend.
Spring has officially sprung, ain't it great?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hmmm, I may have hit send by accident lol!

I went to my favourite market vender yesterday and discovered the first
locally grown asparagus of the season, large bunches and pencil thin so
supper tonight is asparagus omelette, followed by the Honey Mangos I also
bought. I think I will have the rest of the asparagus tomorrow with some
sort of rice dish.

I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time. They were already
cleaned so I rinsed them well, steamed them and served them up with lemon
butter. Wasn't sure what to expect but they were interesting and worth
another try. At the same vendor I found some baseball sized artichokes that
I'm thinking about stuffing with something breadcrumb and spicy and baking
in the oven.

Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the first
local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just around
the corner :-)

Kay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Marsha" !> wrote in message
> hmmm, I may have hit send by accident lol!
>
> I went to my favourite market vender yesterday and discovered the first
> locally grown asparagus of the season, large bunches and pencil thin so
> supper tonight is asparagus omelette, followed by the Honey Mangos I also
> bought. I think I will have the rest of the asparagus tomorrow with some
> sort of rice dish.
>
> I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time. They were already
> cleaned so I rinsed them well, steamed them and served them up with lemon
> butter. Wasn't sure what to expect but they were interesting and worth
> another try. At the same vendor I found some baseball sized artichokes
> that I'm thinking about stuffing with something breadcrumb and spicy and
> baking in the oven.
>
> Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the first
> local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just around
> the corner :-)
>
> Kay

I'm about to launder a bunch of towels, empty the dishwasher, and take the
recycling boxes to the curb.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom sez:
>> I'm about to launder a bunch of towels, empty the dishwasher, and take the
>> recycling boxes to the curb.

You wastrel, you!! Why didn't you clean the fridge while you were at it??!?

Spitz
--
Mind the runner beans!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"projectile vomit chick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 May 2006 22:25:18 GMT, in rec.food.cooking,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > hit the crackpipe and
> declared:
>>
>>"Marsha" !> wrote in message
.. .
>>> hmmm, I may have hit send by accident lol!
>>>
>>> I went to my favourite market vender yesterday and discovered the first
>>> locally grown asparagus of the season, large bunches and pencil thin so
>>> supper tonight is asparagus omelette, followed by the Honey Mangos I
>>> also
>>> bought. I think I will have the rest of the asparagus tomorrow with
>>> some
>>> sort of rice dish.
>>>
>>> I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time. They were already
>>> cleaned so I rinsed them well, steamed them and served them up with
>>> lemon
>>> butter. Wasn't sure what to expect but they were interesting and worth
>>> another try. At the same vendor I found some baseball sized artichokes
>>> that I'm thinking about stuffing with something breadcrumb and spicy and
>>> baking in the oven.
>>>
>>> Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the
>>> first
>>> local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just
>>> around
>>> the corner :-)
>>>
>>> Kay
>>>

>>I'm about to launder a bunch of towels, empty the dishwasher, and take the
>>recycling boxes to the curb.
>>

> Let us know when you move your bowels.

I will.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Marsha" !> wrote:

> hmmm, I may have hit send by accident lol!
>
> I went to my favourite market vender yesterday and discovered the first
> locally grown asparagus of the season, large bunches and pencil thin so
> supper tonight is asparagus omelette, followed by the Honey Mangos I also
> bought. I think I will have the rest of the asparagus tomorrow with some
> sort of rice dish.
>
> I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time. They were already
> cleaned so I rinsed them well, steamed them and served them up with lemon
> butter. Wasn't sure what to expect but they were interesting and worth
> another try. At the same vendor I found some baseball sized artichokes that
> I'm thinking about stuffing with something breadcrumb and spicy and baking
> in the oven.
>
> Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the first
> local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just around
> the corner :-)
>
> Kay

Sounds like a nice haul!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> > I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time.

> I saw them in the market a few days ago, maybe I'll pick some up
> next time. Wicked expensive, I won't get a whole lot. Thanks for
> the idea.

I understand fiddleheads are a fern.
What are the odds of growing them?
Are the a specific species or will boston ferns work?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> >I'm about to launder a bunch of towels, empty the dishwasher, and take the
> >recycling boxes to the curb.
> >

> Let us know when you move your bowels.

Did not know you were into scat play dearie!
We'll have to remember that......

Would you like us to mail you some?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yesterday was cold and damp but there is something about seeing the
first
> local greens of spring that reminds us that summer peaches are just around
> the corner :-)

Yeah, I noticed the farmers market nearby is opening this weekend.
Spring has officially sprung, ain't it great?

OOOOHHHH im so jealous.....we have started winter here already..... its
only suppose to be autumn(fall) here , but its definatly winter
weather.... i think weare in for a very long cold winter
here. We have had so much rain and hail the last few days , Yesterday
it was so very cold i had the fire going all day and had to have extra
blankets on the bed last night . I hate the winter GRRRRRR i wish it
was summer already its my favourite time of the year

TESSA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
projectile vomit chick > wrote:

> On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:32:29 -0500, in rec.food.cooking,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > hit the crackpipe and
> declared:

> >> Let us know when you move your bowels.

> >Did not know you were into scat play dearie!
> >We'll have to remember that......
> >
> >Would you like us to mail you some?

> Lame. Here, this should keep your nasty ass entertained:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8jzh

Heh! I know better than to click on that...
Knowing you, you'd post a link to "bathtub girl", originally presented
on rotten.com!

That one has got to be the most disgusting thing EVER posted on the
internet!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"butterflyangel" > wrote

>nancy wrote:

>> Yeah, I noticed the farmers market nearby is opening this weekend.
>> Spring has officially sprung, ain't it great?

> OOOOHHHH im so jealous.....we have started winter here already..... its
> only suppose to be autumn(fall) here , but its definatly winter
> weather.... i think weare in for a very long cold winter
> here. We have had so much rain and hail the last few days , Yesterday
> it was so very cold i had the fire going all day and had to have extra
> blankets on the bed last night . I hate the winter GRRRRRR i wish it
> was summer already its my favourite time of the year

Yikes, I love the autumn, winter not so much. However, winter
food is good, too. Luckily.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>>> I also bought some fiddleheads for the first time.

>> I saw them in the market a few days ago, maybe I'll pick some up
>> next time. Wicked expensive, I won't get a whole lot. Thanks for
>> the idea.

> I understand fiddleheads are a fern.
> What are the odds of growing them?
> Are the a specific species or will boston ferns work?

They are a specific type of fern - the ostrish fern - and they grow in the
northeast (primarily in the Maine area). They have to be picked very young
before the ferns unfurl from their "fiddle head" shape. They taste a bit
like asparagus.

http://tinyurl.com/ha5sa

Email me and I'll tell you a funny story about the time a former poster to
RFC shipped some to me that he and his son and picked

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:27:26 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Email me and I'll tell you a funny story about the time a former poster to
> RFC shipped some to me that he and his son and picked

I remember the entire scenario... but I didn't know there was a
"funny" story to accompany it. Please publish!
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.