Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Farmer's Market No Go

We made the trek out to the Shoreline Farmer's Market today. I realized
after my disappointment that the two women who told me how great it is, do
not really cook. Bah.

It was a great place if you wanted a frozen treat, Kettle Corn, something
from a food truck, cheese, honey, flowers or handmade items. Smith Brothers
dairy even had a booth there which I thought was odd. They had very little
in the way of veggies. There were some nice, small summer squash. I was
tempted to buy but I already have our meals planned and there was no need
for them. Also slicing tomatoes which I didn't need. Spring onions which I
also did not need. And perhaps a few other things that I also didn't need.
Lots of peaches. cherries and berries. A few scrappy looking pears and
apples. We did buy three apples. $4 for those. Prices were very high! And
not much variety.

I had hoped to get nice things for pasta salad. Decided to try Country Farms
on the way back to the business Costco, then remembered yet another reason
why my dad said to go there. First reason being that the stuff is not so
fresh. Second being that there is no way to get turned back around to get
home. So if I do go back, I need to make sure that I need to go somewhere
else South of there to get turned around.

I will say that some of their prices were very good. Such as 59 cents for a
bunch of parsley. And no flat leaf. Only curly. The cilantro looked vile.
And we really had to pick through the bell peppers to come up with two firm
ones. Overall, the produce was a severe disappointment. However... They did
have all kinds of nuts in the shell and for a good price. If I do go back,
it will be for those. The squirrels like those.

I wound up still having to go to the grocery store to get the rest of what I
needed for the salad. And I highly doubt that I will go to any others unless
I just happen to drive by one. For one thing, it was super hard for me to
walk around there. No shopping carts and I really do need one for support.
Just not worth wasting my time and gas, but Angela said she would like to go
back for some of the handmade things.