Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default does anybody know if you can make yogurt in a yougurt maker

by using real yogurt as a starter and do you need to boil it
i have a yogurt machine and you buy the powdered starter which you add
water to and let it sit overnight in a heated bath of the boiling water
that the jar sits in .... i ws wondering if you can do that using fresh
yogurt as a base

thanks ever so much tessa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"butterflyangel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> by using real yogurt as a starter and do you need to boil it
> i have a yogurt machine and you buy the powdered starter which you add
> water to and let it sit overnight in a heated bath of the boiling water
> that the jar sits in .... i ws wondering if you can do that using fresh
> yogurt as a base
>
> thanks ever so much tessa

I use only fresh yogurt as a starter - never tried the powdered starter.
Here's how my Salton yogurt maker works:

Heat 4 cups of milk to boiling; cool to about 110°F. Add two heaping
tablespoons of fresh plain yogurt to cooled milk and stir well. Ladle
mixture into glass cups and place in electric yogurt maker for at least
10-12 hours (or longer for more tart/tangy yogurt).

Makes 5 6-ounce (approx.) servings.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 May 2006 03:03:43 -0700, "butterflyangel" >
wrote:

>by using real yogurt as a starter and do you need to boil it
>i have a yogurt machine and you buy the powdered starter which you add
>water to and let it sit overnight in a heated bath of the boiling water
>that the jar sits in .... i ws wondering if you can do that using fresh
>yogurt as a base
>
>thanks ever so much tessa

Yes you can... but you have to use REAL yoghurt - the plain
unflavoured stuff, not the fruity stuff... my dad used to make yoghurt
for us all the time in the yoghurt maker and I didn't really
appreciate it because it wasn't sickly sweet, but nowadays I wish I
had one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

butterflyangel wrote:
> by using real yogurt as a starter and do you need to boil it
> i have a yogurt machine and you buy the powdered starter which you add
> water to and let it sit overnight in a heated bath of the boiling water
> that the jar sits in .... i ws wondering if you can do that using fresh
> yogurt as a base
>
> thanks ever so much tessa

I have a Westbend yogurt maker. Instructions are as follows:

Mix 1 quart milk with 1/4-1/3 cup powdered milk (makes it less watery).
Heat mixture to 185 degrees.
Cool to 100-115 degrees.
Add 1/2 cup plain yogurt with no added pectin or gums. Must contain
live cultures. Stoneyfield, and some of the store brands fit this
description. READ your labels.

Gently mix in the yogurt until you've gotten rid of the lumps.

Cover and allow to sit in heater for 6 or more hours, until set. Place
container in refrigerator and enjoy.

maxine in ri