Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Yogurt maker-Yogourmet or Salton?

Hi all,

Looking to buy a yogurt maker, with a large container, instead of the
ones with smaller jars.

In researching I found two and the price points are so different. The
Salton is about 15 bucks and the Yogourmet around $60.

Does anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which would
be the best one to buy?

Thanks,
Ellen

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> Looking to buy a yogurt maker, with a large container, instead of the
> ones with smaller jars.
>
> In researching I found two and the price points are so different. The
> Salton is about 15 bucks and the Yogourmet around $60.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which would
> be the best one to buy?

I just use my oven. I set it to 110F and use any size container I want.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Joe Doe

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Looking to buy a yogurt maker, with a large container, instead of the
> > ones with smaller jars.
> >
> > In researching I found two and the price points are so different. The
> > Salton is about 15 bucks and the Yogourmet around $60.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which would
> > be the best one to buy?

> I just use my oven. I set it to 110F and use any size container I want.

I presume this is your convection/microwave.

What is the lowest temperature setting available on this and do you know
how big the swings are (+/-)?

Roland
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Looking to buy a yogurt maker, with a large container, instead of the
> > > ones with smaller jars.
> > >
> > > In researching I found two and the price points are so different. The
> > > Salton is about 15 bucks and the Yogourmet around $60.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which would
> > > be the best one to buy?

> > I just use my oven. I set it to 110F and use any size container I want.

> I presume this is your convection/microwave.
>
> What is the lowest temperature setting available on this and do you know
> how big the swings are (+/-)?

Actually I use the oven in my range which is a convection oven. I like to
make up a couple gallons of yogurt at a time in 12 oz cups. I put the cups
on sheet pans, thus there is too much for my convection/microwave. My full
sized oven can be set in 5 degree increment starting at 100F. The
convection microwave can be set at 100F, 150F, 275F and then in increment of
25F up to 450F. I suppose that the 100F setting would work on the
convection microwave. I don't know what the temperature swing is on either
oven. The 110F on my JennAir works quite well for yogurt making.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Cheng-Jih Chen

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Looking to buy a yogurt maker, with a large container, instead of the
>ones with smaller jars.
>
>In researching I found two and the price points are so different. The
>Salton is about 15 bucks and the Yogourmet around $60.
>
>Does anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which would
>be the best one to buy?

I have the Salton and it works fine. I've been using used store-bought
yogurt containers intead of the one it came with.

Looks like the Yogourmet can do 2L, while the Salton I have is sized
for 1L. If the double capacity is worth the extra $45 to you, so be it.
On the other hand, you can use an oven, as the other poster does, for
large batches. I believe Alton Brown had a yogurt show in which he used
an electric blanket draped over a pot.

You just need something to keep the fermenting milk at around 100F for
5-8 hours. Arguably, the window sill would be fine on a hot day.