Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Uses for a yogurt maker?

I was in a thrift shop a couple days ago and spotted a Yogurt maker
for a couple bucks.

I was sure that I was looking for one in the past few years, but now I
can't for the life of me remember why.<g>

I doubt it was to make yogurt as we don't eat that much of it, and I
like the Chobani we get when we do. If I wanted a special flavor I'd
get plain Chobani and add it.

Might have been to use as a seed starter. Might have been to make
Tempeh.

Neither seems real likely to me-- does anyone here use a yogurt
maker for some 'off label' purpose?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:41:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>I was in a thrift shop a couple days ago and spotted a Yogurt maker
>for a couple bucks.
>
>I was sure that I was looking for one in the past few years, but now I
>can't for the life of me remember why.<g>
>
>I doubt it was to make yogurt as we don't eat that much of it, and I
>like the Chobani we get when we do. If I wanted a special flavor I'd
>get plain Chobani and add it.
>
>Might have been to use as a seed starter. Might have been to make
>Tempeh.
>
>Neither seems real likely to me-- does anyone here use a yogurt
>maker for some 'off label' purpose?

I guess since you don't eat much yoghurt, it wasn't Kefir you had in
mind... Ginger beer plant? Kombucha? That's if it's really cold
though.

Quark perhaps?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jeßus > wrote:
-snip-

>I guess since you don't eat much yoghurt, it wasn't Kefir you had in
>mind...

Kefir sounds familiar- but I'll have to Google it. . . .

Hmm-- don't think it was that, but it looks interesting.

>Ginger beer plant? Kombucha? That's if it's really cold
>though.

My Ginger beer plant has been happy on the windowsill since spring---
but that or Kombucha *is* a possibility as my kitchen is cool in the
winter.

>Quark perhaps?

OK- I wasn't even sure if that was food or a physics joke.<g> but
now I'll have to get in touch with my German roots and make some.
http://hogletk.wordpress.com/2009/07/24/homemade-quark/

Thanks for the thoughts-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 19:25:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 09:41:21 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Neither seems real likely to me-- does anyone here use a yogurt
>> maker for some 'off label' purpose?

>Creme fraiche.

I'm in-- I rarely bother to buy it, but making it seems easy enough.
Thanks,
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default HWC; was Uses for a yogurt maker?

On 11/1/2012 10:56 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 03:08:37 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>
>> On 1-Nov-2012, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

>>> I'm in-- I rarely bother to buy it, but making it seems easy enough.
>>> Thanks,

>> A yogurt maker is not necessary to make creme fraiche; you need no
>> special equipment:
>>
>> Homemade Crème Fraîche
>>
>> Recipe By :Lynne Rossetto Kasper
>> Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 tablespoon cultured buttermilk -- (1 to 2)
>> 2 cups heavy cream (pasteurized -- not ultra
>> pasteurized or sterilized, and with no additives)

> I always see that "pasteurized, not Ultra pasteurized" line in the
> recipe but for some of us, that's all we can get. I don't see why
> that's necessary if you're adding culture (in the form of buttermilk).
> I've had it turn out just fine in the pilot-lit oven (about 100F) but
> not on the counter).

All I've ever seen at the grocery stores in my neck of the woods is the
'ultra pasteurized' heavy whipping cream. Never have I noticed or seen
any other sort available. Heck, some stores only stock pints or
half-pints of HWC and don't bother with stocking quarts.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Nov 2012 00:14:20 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

> All I've ever seen at the grocery stores in my neck of the woods is the
> 'ultra pasteurized' heavy whipping cream. Never have I noticed or seen
> any other sort available.

I was able to find simple pasteurized heavy whipping cream fairly
easily in the far distant past, but I wouldn't bet on it now.

> Heck, some stores only stock pints or
> half-pints of HWC and don't bother with stocking quarts.

Around here, it's the opposite. Don't even think about small amounts.
They have us over a barrel, so they're making us buy as much as
possible. It's particularly bad that way with buttermilk. It comes
in quarts, forget about pints or half-pints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote:

>On 1-Nov-2012, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

-snip-
>> >Creme fraiche.

>> I'm in-- I rarely bother to buy it, but making it seems easy enough.
>> Thanks,
>> Jim

>A yogurt maker is not necessary to make creme fraiche; you need no
>special equipment:

-snip-
>a clean glass jar. Partially cover and let stand at room temperature
>(between 65 and 75 degrees) for 8 to 24 hours, or until thickened.

Not *needed*, maybe - but I need something to maintain 65 in my
kitchen this time of year. I keep the thermostat on 62 and the
kitchen register is shut off.

Thanks for the link,
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

-snip-
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 tablespoon cultured buttermilk -- (1 to 2)
>> 2 cups heavy cream (pasteurized -- not ultra
>> pasteurized or sterilized, and with no additives)

>I always see that "pasteurized, not Ultra pasteurized" line in the
>recipe but for some of us, that's all we can get. I don't see why
>that's necessary if you're adding culture (in the form of buttermilk).
>I've had it turn out just fine in the pilot-lit oven (about 100F) but
>not on the counter).

Thanks for saying that as I have 2 qts of UP cream in the fridge-- I
give them a try as soon as I locate the cultured buttermilk.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> All I've ever seen at the grocery stores in my neck of the woods is the
> 'ultra pasteurized' heavy whipping cream. Never have I noticed or seen
> any other sort available.

I was able to find simple pasteurized heavy whipping cream fairly
easily in the far distant past, but I wouldn't bet on it now.

> Heck, some stores only stock pints or
> half-pints of HWC and don't bother with stocking quarts.

Around here, it's the opposite. Don't even think about small amounts.
They have us over a barrel, so they're making us buy as much as
possible. It's particularly bad that way with buttermilk. It comes
in quarts, forget about pints or half-pints.

Yes, they do have us over a barrel. You're stuck with buying at *least* a
quart of it of buttermilk. I can still find pints of cream; I'm pretty sure
it's ultra pasteurized.

Jill