Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Split pea soup

Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
on hand.

Split Pea Soup

1 cup green split peas
4 cups water
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
> on hand.
>
> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.

I add diced celery and diced potatoes too... and it needs a ham bone.

But you didn't make nearly enough... that's just one serving. I always
make at least 2 pounds of peas worth, usually three... and pea spoup
freezes very well. I freeze more for later than you made. I wouldn't
consider dirtying a pot for one measly quart of soup. I don't own a one
quart pot... I can pee more than a quart! LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote in
:

> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
> on hand.
>
> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>
> Serene

Use a real stalk of celery.

You forgot the 1/2 tsp thyme

And leave the salt and let folks add it to suit their taste, imho.

Have you ever been to Andersen's in Buelton, California?? It's a trip.
Just a few miles out of Solvang. They just keep bringing you a
botttomless bowl of split pea soup but order a tri-tip steak sandwich and
then get back on Rte. 101 north or south!

You can order it with bacon or without. I make the recipe without the
bacon.

YMMY,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
>> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
>> on hand.
>>
>> Split Pea Soup
>>
>> 1 cup green split peas
>> 4 cups water
>> 2 carrots, sliced
>> 1/2 onion, chopped
>> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
>> 1 bay leaf
>> salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
>> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>>
>> Serene

>Use a real stalk of celery.

Didn't I say I was using what I had on hand? That didn't include
celery.

>You forgot the 1/2 tsp thyme

I hate thyme. Hate it.

>And leave the salt and let folks add it to suit their taste, imho.

I know my taste, so I salted it to my taste.

>Have you ever been to Andersen's in Buelton, California?? It's a trip.

Yep. Kitsch city!

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
> on hand.
>
> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>
> Serene

I usually cook split pea soup your way, too.
Another way I like it is at the end of the cooking, stir some misu into it
or in the individual bowl of the person who likes misu, but leave some of
the salt out when you are cooking as you know misu is quite salty.
(Misu looses a lot of its nutritive value if reheated or standing in the
heat too long.)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 16:03:03 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>Serene > wrote in
m:

>>> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
>>> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
>>> on hand.
>>>
>>> Split Pea Soup
>>>
>>> 1 cup green split peas
>>> 4 cups water
>>> 2 carrots, sliced
>>> 1/2 onion, chopped
>>> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
>>> 1 bay leaf
>>> salt and pepper to taste
>>>
>>> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
>>> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>>>
>>> Serene

>>Use a real stalk of celery.

> Didn't I say I was using what I had on hand? That didn't include
> celery.
>

>>You forgot the 1/2 tsp thyme

> I hate thyme. Hate it.

I thought I was the only person who hated thyme -- fresh or dried. It's
just too strong for my tastes, and I love probably 99% of the herbs and
spices. I feel the same way about oregano; so I use mostly marjoram.

Today in my Portuguese cod recipe, it called for oregano -- I had only
organic dried which I reconstituted. I should've snuck in some dried
marjoram instead. Pretty bland, really. Instead of saving for a left/over,
I put it in the freezer with some rice to fill up the container for a meal
when we come home too late to cook and starving.

So I'll add that I 'almost' hate oregano. Even the smallest amount (fresh,
too).

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:47:43 -0800, Serene >
wrote:

>Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
>wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
>on hand.
>
>Split Pea Soup
>
>1 cup green split peas
>4 cups water
>2 carrots, sliced
>1/2 onion, chopped
>1/2 tsp. celery seed
>1 bay leaf
>salt and pepper to taste
>
>Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
>adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>
>Serene

Don't let the naysayers get you down. Some of the best recipes have
been born of nearly empty shelves and refrigerators, combined with
inspiration and creativity on the part of the cook.

Peace,
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love solit pea soup but - splitting all them peas - life is too short.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Serene" > wrote in message
>> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
>> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
>> on hand.
>>
>> Split Pea Soup
>>
>> 1 cup green split peas
>> 4 cups water
>> 2 carrots, sliced
>> 1/2 onion, chopped
>> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
>> 1 bay leaf
>> salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
>> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>>
>> Serene

> I usually cook split pea soup your way, too.
> Another way I like it is at the end of the cooking, stir some misu into it
> or in the individual bowl of the person who likes misu, but leave some of
> the salt out when you are cooking as you know misu is quite salty.
> (Misu looses a lot of its nutritive value if reheated or standing in the
> heat too long.)
> Dee Dee

Misu? Thanks for the idea. I made red lentil soup today, but won't eat
until tomorrow.

I have misu in the fridge and will add to the soup before serving.

Elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
o.

> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
> ruins it.
>
> serene

Yabbut - adding bacon (or salt pork as in Habitant) makes for a complete and
digestable protein. I forget how it works but pea soup on its own (sometimes
all that was available for food in the new world colonies in the winter) did
not provide proper nutrition.

Really.
Ken.

--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:01:32 -0800, "Ken Davey"
> wrote:

>Serene wrote:
>o.
>>
>> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
>> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
>> ruins it.
>>
>> serene

>Yabbut - adding bacon (or salt pork as in Habitant) makes for a complete and
>digestable protein. I forget how it works but pea soup on its own (sometimes
>all that was available for food in the new world colonies in the winter) did
>not provide proper nutrition.

Nah, if your diet is sufficiently varied, you don't need to combine
proteins. Even Frances Moore Lappe, who used to write about food
combining, has said that it's not necessary.

Most authorities, including the World Health Organization, say if
you're getting enough calories and eating a variety of whole foods,
it's nearly impossible to be deficient in protein. Most Americans, in
fact, get too much protein.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:01:32 -0800, "Ken Davey"
> > wrote:
>
>> Serene wrote:
>> o.
>>>
>>> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
>>> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
>>> ruins it.
>>>
>>> serene

>> Yabbut - adding bacon (or salt pork as in Habitant) makes for a
>> complete and digestable protein. I forget how it works but pea soup
>> on its own (sometimes all that was available for food in the new
>> world colonies in the winter) did not provide proper nutrition.

> Nah, if your diet is sufficiently varied, you don't need to combine
> proteins. Even Frances Moore Lappe, who used to write about food
> combining, has said that it's not necessary.
>
> Most authorities, including the World Health Organization, say if
> you're getting enough calories and eating a variety of whole foods,
> it's nearly impossible to be deficient in protein. Most Americans, in
> fact, get too much protein.
>
> serene

You are correct but the operative words in my post were "all that was
available for food in the new world colonies in the winter". This need
originated the bean and bacon and habitant soups - still enjoyed today.

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http//www.grid.org/download/gold/download.htm
Return address courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to me.

Some veggies do taste cood smoked; peppers, onions, winter squash,
eggplant, tomatoes, even corn. But carrots, potatoes, leafy greens,
cabbages, in fact most produce does not take well to smoke.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-01, Serene > wrote:

> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste

Better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but even a chicken
bullion cube or some crumbled crisped bacon would'a done wonders.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:58:09 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 2006-04-01, Serene > wrote:
>
>> Split Pea Soup
>>
>> 1 cup green split peas
>> 4 cups water
>> 2 carrots, sliced
>> 1/2 onion, chopped
>> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
>> 1 bay leaf
>> salt and pepper to taste

>Better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but even a chicken
>bullion cube or some crumbled crisped bacon would'a done wonders.

*shrug* It was really yummy.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-04-02, Serene > wrote:

> *shrug* It was really yummy.

Oh, didn't mean to imply it wasn't. Just suggesting an enhancement.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
> on hand.
>
> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>
> Serene

Sounds good, but no meat? :-)
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 03:37:38 -0500, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Serene > wrote:
>
>> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
>> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
>> on hand.
>>
>> Split Pea Soup
>>
>> 1 cup green split peas
>> 4 cups water
>> 2 carrots, sliced
>> 1/2 onion, chopped
>> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
>> 1 bay leaf
>> salt and pepper to taste
>>
>> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
>> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>>
>> Serene

>Sounds good, but no meat? :-)

Heh. Nope. I rarely cook with meat. I had to go out and get some
especially for Pandora's bread.

serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 10:46:58 +1200, Peter Huebner >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
>
> >says...
> >>
> >> Split Pea Soup
> >>
> >> 1 cup green split peas
> >> 4 cups water
> >> 2 carrots, sliced
> >> 1/2 onion, chopped
> >> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> >> 1 bay leaf
> >> salt and pepper to taste
> >>
> >> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> >> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
> >>
> >> Serene
> >>

> >Needs some smokey flavour i.m.o.

> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
> ruins it.

I don't hate it, but I can do without it just fine. I prefer it plain,
at least sometimes. Although, some clove is good. One, and fish it out
when you fish out the bay leaf. A pinch of ground works also.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 17:01:32 -0800, "Ken Davey"
> > wrote:
>
> >Serene wrote:
> >o.
> >>
> >> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
> >> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
> >> ruins it.
> >>
> >> serene

> >Yabbut - adding bacon (or salt pork as in Habitant) makes for a complete and
> >digestable protein. I forget how it works but pea soup on its own (sometimes
> >all that was available for food in the new world colonies in the winter) did
> >not provide proper nutrition.

> Nah, if your diet is sufficiently varied, you don't need to combine
> proteins. Even Frances Moore Lappe, who used to write about food
> combining, has said that it's not necessary.

Back in them days, most authorities said that a vegetarian diet was
inherently unhealthy, because of the protein thing. Protein combining
was the only way to get a diet "approved" by the authorities. Even they
couldn't fight a vegetarian diet with protein combining.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to
>> me.

> Some veggies do taste cood smoked; peppers, onions, winter squash,
> eggplant, tomatoes, even corn. But carrots, potatoes, leafy greens,
> cabbages, in fact most produce does not take well to smoke.
>
> Sheldon

I've had many grilled vegetables but none that I like smoked. Some folks
are so hung up on smoking (which was the OP's point) that they lose the idea
of the taste of vegetables done on the grill. Grilled is different from
long-term smoking.

Most of the vegetables such as you cite would wither to a dried up nothing
with long term smoking. I love grilled corn; don't you dare try to "smoke"
it. Corn on the cob is grilled, but not smoked, roasted. Smoked fresh
green beans? Oh, I don't think so! You get the general idea here.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
Peter Huebner > wrote:

> In article >,
>
> says...
> >
> > Split Pea Soup
> >
> > 1 cup green split peas
> > 4 cups water
> > 2 carrots, sliced
> > 1/2 onion, chopped
> > 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> > 1 bay leaf
> > salt and pepper to taste
> >
> > Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> > adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
> >
> > Serene
> >

> Needs some smokey flavour i.m.o. - I boil it with a ham bone, or I fry some
> bacon in the pot before adding all the other stuff and cooking the soup, even
> adding some finely sliced smoked franks will help it along nicely. Ymmv, and
> all that jazz. Oh, and I go along with the suggestion of adding some diced
> potato.
>
> -P.

I would never add potatoes to split peas, but that just my personal
taste. :-) I do, however, prefer it with hambone, or fresh pork hock and
bacon but like she said, she used what was on hand.

I do use carrot but do not use celery in split pea soup.
I don't think it needs it..... I prefer to keep the spicing to a minimum
with peas. Other than the smoky flavor addition, I think peas can pretty
much stand alone for a nice, pleasant flavor.

I add some grated carrot just for the color appeal, and pre-sautee'd
onions, and just a little garlic and salt free lemon pepper.

I use either fresh hambone stock or pork hock/trotter stock in place of
water. If using fresh pork stock, that's when I add pre-cooked bacon.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ken Davey" > wrote:

> Serene wrote:
> o.
> >
> > Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
> > thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
> > ruins it.
> >
> > serene

> Yabbut - adding bacon (or salt pork as in Habitant) makes for a complete and
> digestable protein. I forget how it works but pea soup on its own (sometimes
> all that was available for food in the new world colonies in the winter) did
> not provide proper nutrition.
>
> Really.
> Ken.

Oh goodness!

Unless you are eating JUST split pea soup, every day for weeks, WTF
difference does it make whether or not it's nutritionally complete?

Sheesh!
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 14:22:09 +1200, Peter Huebner >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
>
> >says...
> >>
> >> Yet another thing that most people like, but I hate. :-) The worst
> >> thing in the world to me is to add ham/bacon to soup -- completely
> >> ruins it.
> >>
> >> serene

> >If you don't like it, you don't like it. In this household we're almost
> >smoke
> >flavour junkies ... Suze had years as a vegetarian, but, she candidly
> >admits,
> >every so often she'd get a smoke craving, make into the nearest butcher's
> >and
> >stuff herself with smoked franks. <g>

> *grin* I see people getting their new smokers and smoking everything
> in sight -- a friend smoked a bunch of meat and veggies the first week
> after he got his -- and I think "Sounds fun, but I'm eating somewhere
> else tonight."
>
> serene

Hee!

While I do enjoy smoked flavor, it's only on occasion.
Generally once every couple of weeks to a month is enough to satisfy. :-)
I don't BBQ nearly as often as dad wishes I would.

I need to go get some chicken hindquarters soon and marinate them for
the outdoor wood grill. It's been quite awhile since I've done that and
I'm beginning to get the joneses for it.

Now to decide between Italian dressing for the marinade, or honey
mustard. I have honey mustard dressing in the frige' that's musgovian,
so I'll probably use it up........
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Serene wrote:
> > On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 14:22:09 +1200, Peter Huebner >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> In article >,
> >> says...

> >> If you don't like it, you don't like it. In this household we're
> >> almost smoke flavour junkies ... Suze had years as a vegetarian,
> >> but, she candidly admits, every so often she'd get a smoke craving,
> >> make into the nearest butcher's and stuff herself with smoked
> >> franks. <g>

> > *grin* I see people getting their new smokers and smoking everything
> > in sight -- a friend smoked a bunch of meat and veggies the first week
> > after he got his -- and I think "Sounds fun, but I'm eating somewhere
> > else tonight."
> >
> > serene

> Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to me.
>
> Jill

Oh my! Grilled veggies on the wood grill are the gods!
Skewered asparagus, marinated portabello mushrooms, zuchinni or
crookneck squash sliced in thick slices, then marinated and grilled.....

It really is a treat. There are special grill baskets sold in the store
now just for doing that. I really need to get one! It makes wood
grilling of smaller veggies SO much easier. I could do asparagus without
having to skewer it in one of those. :-)

Smokey flavor really does go well with it IMHO.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to me.

> Some veggies do taste cood smoked; peppers, onions, winter squash,
> eggplant, tomatoes, even corn. But carrots, potatoes, leafy greens,
> cabbages, in fact most produce does not take well to smoke.
>
> Sheldon

I agree for the most part, but potatoes wrapped in foil and buried in
hot coals in a campfire get just a very slight smoked flavor to them,
and just in the peel.

They are the gods....... ;-d
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-04-01, Serene > wrote:
>
> > Split Pea Soup
> >
> > 1 cup green split peas
> > 4 cups water
> > 2 carrots, sliced
> > 1/2 onion, chopped
> > 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> > 1 bay leaf
> > salt and pepper to taste

> Better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but even a chicken
> bullion cube or some crumbled crisped bacon would'a done wonders.
>
> nb

She does not like smoked flavor. :-)

But now that I've been on this chicken foot/trotter kick, I always have
plenty of frozen stock so I cook split peas, rice and black soybeans in
stock instead of water......

It's been excellent for my joints. My osteoarthritis is getting worse
recently. Might be the weather. Eating joint meat and joint stock rich
in collagen and natural chondroitin is improving things a lot.

Plus I happen to really like it. <G>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article om>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article . com>,

> > > Some veggies do taste cood smoked; peppers, onions, winter squash,
> > > eggplant, tomatoes, even corn. But carrots, potatoes, leafy greens,
> > > cabbages, in fact most produce does not take well to smoke.
> > >
> > > Sheldon
> > >

> > I agree for the most part, but potatoes wrapped in foil and buried in
> > hot coals in a campfire get just a very slight smoked flavor to them,
> > and just in the peel.

> No, no, no... that's called charred skin... no smoke passes through the
> foil. Anyway, where'd you learn to do Mickys... ya gotta wrap em in
> several layers of newpaper, never foil, that steams them... the outer
> pages will become charred/carbonized, increasing insulation, so the
> inner pages don't burn... an experienced Micky maker knows exactly how
> hot the coals and then adjusts the number of newspaper layers to suit.
> And of course you can't do Mickys with purchased spuds, gotta get some
> scrawny Irish kid to steal em, the skinny Micks can run fast. I
> seriously doubt anyone has ever done a Micky in Tx, there were no Micks
> there, still aren't any, least not real Micks.
>
> Sheldon

Whatever Shel' baby... ;-)

Have you EVER been camping?

Ever cooked over a hand-built open pit fire using rocks to support the
skillet?

Ever fried canned bacon or fresh out of the stream trouts?

Ever picked and eaten or canned wild blackberries?

So many good memories from REAL vacations with my parents.......
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Ever cooked over a hand-built open pit fire using rocks to support the
> skillet?
>
> Ever fried canned bacon or fresh out of the stream trouts?
>
> Ever picked and eaten or canned wild blackberries?
>
> So many good memories from REAL vacations with my parents.......
> --
> Peace, Om.

Stop it, Om -- you're making me nostalgic. My daughter has these memories,
too, with me and her dad (deceased).

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 03:25:23 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>I don't hate it, but I can do without it just fine. I prefer it plain,
>at least sometimes. Although, some clove is good.

*bashful look* Y'all are coming up with all the foods I hate most.
Next thing I know, someone's gonna suggest cinnamon or cumin.

serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> > Ever cooked over a hand-built open pit fire using rocks to support the
> > skillet?
> >
> > Ever fried canned bacon or fresh out of the stream trouts?
> >
> > Ever picked and eaten or canned wild blackberries?
> >
> > So many good memories from REAL vacations with my parents.......
> > --
> > Peace, Om.

> Stop it, Om -- you're making me nostalgic. My daughter has these memories,
> too, with me and her dad (deceased).
>
> Dee Dee

I'm sorry Dee Dee...
I lost my mom nearly 4 years ago also, and it's a comfort to renew those
memories. :-) I miss her so and learned so much from her!

Dad now lives with me and I'm so very glad he does. :-)

It's cool that your daughter has those memories and has such a great mom!

<hugs>
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 03:25:23 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> >I don't hate it, but I can do without it just fine. I prefer it plain,
> >at least sometimes. Although, some clove is good.

> *bashful look* Y'all are coming up with all the foods I hate most.
> Next thing I know, someone's gonna suggest cinnamon or cumin.
>
> serene

Not in split peas... ;-)

I'm not overly fond of cumin, but I will use just a smidgin of cinnamon
in italian sauces or some mexican recipes.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to me.

Yeah. I'm not a chipotle fan, but the rest of the family is. Our usual
split pea soup has chipotles in it.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:39:32 -0700, Dan Abel > wrote:

>In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>> Smoked meat is one thing, but "smoked veggies" just sounds gross to me.

>Yeah. I'm not a chipotle fan, but the rest of the family is. Our usual
>split pea soup has chipotles in it.

Stephan Pyles recommends lightly smoking veggies intended for sauces
in his New Tastes of Texas cookbook. I've done it a time or two.
--
modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Last night, I made a very simple split pea soup, and it came out
> wonderfully. I adapted it from the Andersen's recipe to fit what I had
> on hand.
>
> Split Pea Soup
>
> 1 cup green split peas
> 4 cups water
> 2 carrots, sliced
> 1/2 onion, chopped
> 1/2 tsp. celery seed
> 1 bay leaf
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Bring to a boil, simmer for an hour or so, stirring occasionally and
> adding water if necessary. Remove bay leaf and serve.
>
> Serene

Years ago, there was a restaurant that I'd go to now and then that would
serve split pea soup with a little tiny glass of sherry alongside that you
were supposed to stir into the soup. Now when I make split pea soup, I'll
sometimes add a bit of sherry to it.

They also had parmesan-coated croutons with the soup. I'm not a big fan of
croutons, but the parmesan with the split pea was good, too.

Donna

REC: Split Pea Soup Mike Muth General Cooking 38 13-01-2012 05:36 PM
My split soup Chet General Cooking 30 09-10-2011 08:43 PM
Split Pea Soup Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 02:56 PM
Split Pea With Ham Soup Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2006 03:08 AM
Split Pea With Ham Soup Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2005 01:44 PM