Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My split soup

I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
recipe.

this is my recipe in a crock pot
2 qts water
1 lb dried split peas
2 carrots chopped
2 stalks celery chopped
1 onion sliced
some salt & pepper
1 small ham hock
1 bay leaf

after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
flavor missing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Chet > wrote:
> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 carrots chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 onion sliced
> some salt & pepper
> 1 small ham hock
> 1 bay leaf
>
> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey flavor missing.

Was the ham hock smoked to begin with?
And where is the butter for sautéing the veggies?

--
Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/27/2011 11:08 AM, Nad wrote:
> > wrote:
>> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my recipe.
>>
>> this is my recipe in a crock pot
>> 2 qts water
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 carrots chopped
>> 2 stalks celery chopped
>> 1 onion sliced
>> some salt& pepper
>> 1 small ham hock
>> 1 bay leaf
>>
>> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey flavor missing.

> Was the ham hock smoked to begin with?
> And where is the butter for sautéing the veggies?

I did not do any sauteing in this recipe or use any butter, do you
think this may help the flavor, and yes the pc of ham hock was smoked
but it was not a big pc, maybe 1/4 lb. do you think a few drops of
liquid smoke would help or destroy the soup flavlor.

Chet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/09/2011 10:31 AM, Chet wrote:
> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
> recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 carrots chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 onion sliced
> some salt & pepper
> 1 small ham hock
> 1 bay leaf
>
> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
> flavor missing.

That is similar to the way I make it, except that I use less carrot and
more ham hock. I have tried it in the past with ham and ham bones, but
a nice smokey ham hock made a big difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/09/2011 11:31 AM, Chet wrote:

> I did not do any sauteing in this recipe or use any butter, do you think
> this may help the flavor, and yes the pc of ham hock was smoked but it
> was not a big pc, maybe 1/4 lb. do you think a few drops of liquid smoke
> would help or destroy the soup flavlor.

Good gawd no.
My method for split pea soup is to chop a carrot, an onion and a rib of
celery and saute in a bit of olive oil, and toss in a chopped clove of
garlic. Toss in about two cups of split peas and a smock ham hock, some
bay leaf, cover with water, bring it to a boil and then boil gently for
several hours. Remove the ham hock, strip the meat off the bone. Return
the chopped meat to the pot and discard the bone, the skin and big wads
of fat. It's ready to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chet wrote:
> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
> recipe.

Here is my recipe for comparison, which is delicious!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dutch Split Pea Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beans Soups & Stews

1 pound split peas
6 cups water
4 cups chicken broth -- (or beef)
1/4 pound ham -- diced
3/4 cup celery -- chopped with leaves
2 leeks -- sliced, white part
1 large onion -- chopped
2 1/2 cups potatoes -- diced
1 1/2 cups diced carrot
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash hot sauce

In large saucepan, combine peas and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 2
min. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 1 hour.
Add broth, ham, celery, leeks and onion.. Bring to a boil and reduce heat
and simmer covered 1 1/2 hours.
Add potatoes, carrots and cook 15-30 min more (peas should disintegrate).
If soup gets too thick, thin it with some broth.
Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
Serve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chet > wrote:

>I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
>recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
>1 lb dried split peas
>2 carrots chopped
>2 stalks celery chopped
>1 onion sliced
>some salt & pepper
>1 small ham hock
>1 bay leaf
>
>after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
>flavor missing.

Using mostly the same ingredients-
My instinct would be to use a quart of chicken stock in place of one
of those quarts of water.
I double the carrot volume. [about a pound of carrots] 4 stalks of
celery won't hurt. Unless it is a very large, yellow cooking onion
[not the sweet ones] I use 2.
3-4 bay leaves don't hurt anything, and I think they give soup
'depth'. [if Thyme strikes my fancy that day I might snip some and
add it]

In mine I usually use a leftover ham shank bone with a pound or two of
ham on it. [or a smoked turkey wing]

I simmer it in the soup/water an hour or two[or 4] before I'm ready
to start making soup. Then I cool the pot enough to skim a lot [not
all] of the fat out & separate meat and nasty bits from bone. the
cleaned meat and bone go back in the pot- and then I add the veggies.

I do not blend it. I like the texture. When it is done I give it
a few shots of Worcestershire sauce to taste.

Sometimes I give it some more Worcestershire sauce in the bowl-- other
times I use Frank's hot sauce at the table.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 27, 7:31*am, Chet > wrote:
> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
> recipe.
>
> * *this is my recipe in a crock pot
> * 2 qts water
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 carrots chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 onion sliced
> some salt & pepper
> 1 small ham hock
> 1 bay leaf
>
> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
> flavor missing.

My split pea soup recipe was always a favorite. I don't like split
pea paste and I don't like it cooked to death. My customers always
said this was their favorite split pea soup ever.

http://www.hizzoners.com/recipes/sou...split-pea-soup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:31:01 -0400, Chet > wrote:

>I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
>recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
>1 lb dried split peas
>2 carrots chopped
>2 stalks celery chopped
>1 onion sliced
>some salt & pepper
>1 small ham hock
>1 bay leaf
>
>after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
>flavor missing.

Then you're not using smoked ham or not enough... one small ham hock
hasn't much flavor for a pound of peas, use two large. or the entire
meaty bone from a smoked ham. I like to add diced potato too, adds a
nice creamy texture and earthy flavor. I'll be making pea soup soon,
I just bought six pounds of peas for my 18 quart pot, I've two ham
bones saved in my frezer. And whole dried peas make a better soup,
just couldn't find them this year, but I haven't given up... I also
like to use yellow peas. Forget the stick blender, ruins the texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chet wrote:

>I have made split pea soup a few times,
> but cannot get the nice flavor that when
> I get it at the restaurants, not sure what
> I am missing in my recipe.

<snipped recipe for length>

This is the recipe I have used for many years, and it never fails to
turn out to our liking, or to please our taste buds, and is the best
I've ever tasted. Our grandchildren can't wait until I tell them I'll be
making it. I have used ham hocks, but for some reason, I find it makes
the soup saltier, so we like a big meaty ham bone simmered slowly in it,
so when we have a ham, we can't wait to eat it down enough, that can use
the bone for soup! Also I never fix it in the crock pot, as prefer it
cooked on top of the stove, as gives it more of a "home-made" flavor, I
think.

Split Pea Soup

1 lb. (2-1/4 cups) dry green split peas
2 quarts water
1 meaty ham bone (about 1 lb., but I never weigh it, and feel more is
better)
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
pepper, to taste
salt (optional)
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrot

In large saucepan, cover peas with the water and soak overnight (or
combine peas and water; bring to boiling and boil gently for 2 minutes
and soak for 1 hour). It doesn't say to, but at this point, I drain that
water off and add 2 quarts of fresh water. Add meaty ham bone, onion,
garlic powder, marjoram, and a dashes of pepper to pea mixture. Bring to
a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 hours, stirring
occasionally. Remove ham bone and cut off the meat and dice it; add back
to the soup, along with the carrot and celery, and cook slowly another
30 to 45 minutes. Add salt to taste (it recommends 1/2 to 1 tsp.) but I
taste the soup first, because depending on the saltiness of the ham, it
doesn't require any, or hardly any salt at all. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

I'm not sure how much of a "smoky" flavor it has, but it certainly has
plenty of meat and is very flavorful! I don't think you'll be
disappointed.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

try a "smoked" ham hoc, Lee
"Chet" > wrote in message
>I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor that
>when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 carrots chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 onion sliced
> some salt & pepper
> 1 small ham hock
> 1 bay leaf
>
> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the top
> of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey flavor
> missing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:31:59 -0400, Chet > wrote:

>On 9/27/2011 11:08 AM, Nad wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>>> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my recipe.
>>>
>>> this is my recipe in a crock pot
>>> 2 qts water
>>> 1 lb dried split peas
>>> 2 carrots chopped
>>> 2 stalks celery chopped
>>> 1 onion sliced
>>> some salt& pepper
>>> 1 small ham hock
>>> 1 bay leaf
>>>
>>> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>>> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>>> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey flavor missing.

>> Was the ham hock smoked to begin with?
>> And where is the butter for sautéing the veggies?
>>

> I did not do any sauteing in this recipe or use any butter, do you
>think this may help the flavor, and yes the pc of ham hock was smoked
>but it was not a big pc, maybe 1/4 lb. do you think a few drops of
>liquid smoke would help or destroy the soup flavlor.

Better to slice in a couple three good quailty tube steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chet wrote:

> I did not do any sauteing in this recipe or use any butter, do you
> think this may help the flavor

Definitely. After cooking for 8 hours the veggies will be mush anyways
and since you're using a blender the exact texture doesn't matter. The
slight browning from a brown butter sautee will make a large difference.

> do you think a few drops of
> liquid smoke would help or destroy the soup flavlor.

Help, especially since you want it smokey. But liquid smoke is intense
so try it with a couple of drops and see how it goes.

Also if you want it like in a restaurant it should probably get several
times the salt you put in it. Restaurants heavily salt their foods for
a long list of reasons. At the head of the line is that for a lot of
people it improves the flavor. Some can't tell so the salt gives it
some flavor at all. Some have pallettes that can tell but they can
separate the salt from the other flavors. But for most adding salt
accelerates the other flavors. Sort of like a touch of hot.

If you don't want the extra salt consider the hot principle - As long as
the capsicum is below threshold what it does is increase the intensity
of all of the other flavors. That works all the way until the most
sensative person pegs and it just overwhelms there taste/flavor with
heat. You know the people who will be eating your soup. Late in the
process add a couple of drops up to a big splash of hot sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:31:01 -0400, Chet > wrote:

>I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
>recipe.
>
> this is my recipe in a crock pot
> 2 qts water
>1 lb dried split peas
>2 carrots chopped
>2 stalks celery chopped
>1 onion sliced
>some salt & pepper
>1 small ham hock
>1 bay leaf
>
>after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
>flavor missing.

The the ham hock will give you meat but not the smokey flavour, you
need to use some bacon bones as well.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/27/2011 8:06 PM, JBurns wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:31:01 -0400, > wrote:
>
>> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
>> recipe.
>>
>> this is my recipe in a crock pot
>> 2 qts water
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 carrots chopped
>> 2 stalks celery chopped
>> 1 onion sliced
>> some salt& pepper
>> 1 small ham hock
>> 1 bay leaf
>>
>> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
>> flavor missing.

> The the ham hock will give you meat but not the smokey flavour, you
> need to use some bacon bones as well.
>
> JB

I have used smoked turkey wings in split pea soup. Lots of smokey
flavor. Not a lot of meat, but I'm more interested in the peas.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 11:37*am, Andy > wrote:
> Chet > wrote:
> > I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> > that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
> > recipe.

> > * *this is my recipe in a crock pot
> > * 2 qts water
> > 1 lb dried split peas
> > 2 carrots chopped
> > 2 stalks celery chopped
> > 1 onion sliced
> > some salt & pepper
> > 1 small ham hock
> > 1 bay leaf

> > after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> > use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
> > top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
> > flavor missing.

> That's about exactly my recipe, only I use 3 slices of bacon in place of
> the ham hock.
>
> One of the few dishes that I add salt to in ernest!
>
> Also, eight hours is out of the question. 2 hours simmering at most.
>
> After cooking, I use a foley mill to finish it down to a smooth soup.
>
> Andy

I agree with Andy on the cooking time, and I add dehydrated soup
greens and Cayenne pepper, not enough to taste, just enough to feel a
little heat. Haven't made it for 6 mos as I've been low carbing it.
21 lbs down, it's working!!
But I miss homemade Chicken soup with noodles(can you believe I've
dreamed about it?), Pea soup, Potatoes with butter. I'll stay the
course, tho, it's the only thing that has worked. Got a long way to
go!!
Nan in DE
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 27, 10:31*am, Chet > wrote:
> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
> recipe.
>
> * *this is my recipe in a crock pot
> * 2 qts water
> 1 lb dried split peas
> 2 carrots chopped
> 2 stalks celery chopped
> 1 onion sliced
> some salt & pepper
> 1 small ham hock
> 1 bay leaf
>
> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
> flavor missing.

When I make soup I use chicken stock instead of water. Or you can
try vegetable stock.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 09:23:49 -0700 (PDT), Lucille
> wrote:

>On Sep 27, 10:31*am, Chet > wrote:
>> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice flavor
>> that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am missing in my
>> recipe.
>>
>> * *this is my recipe in a crock pot
>> * 2 qts water
>> 1 lb dried split peas
>> 2 carrots chopped
>> 2 stalks celery chopped
>> 1 onion sliced
>> some salt & pepper
>> 1 small ham hock
>> 1 bay leaf
>>
>> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone, then I
>> use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of fat on the
>> top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but there is a smokey
>> flavor missing.

>When I make soup I use chicken stock instead of water. Or you can
>try vegetable stock.

I find pea soup works best with water, stock hides the pea flavor. I
think a meaty smoked ham bone makes all the meat stock it needs. And
chicken stock with smoked ham besides not being kosher is big time
TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sep 28, 7:40*am, Nan > wrote:
> But I miss homemade Chicken soup with noodles(can you believe I've
> dreamed about it?),

Nan there are low carb noodles out there. You can do the chicken
soup,.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/28/2011 4:32 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Sep 28, 7:40 am, > wrote:
>> But I miss homemade Chicken soup with noodles(can you believe I've
>> dreamed about it?),

> Nan there are low carb noodles out there. You can do the chicken
> soup,.

Low carb noodles make me very sick. I make very small matzo balls. If
you can't find "low carb" use portion control. JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/09/2011 5:05 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I find pea soup works best with water, stock hides the pea flavor. I
> think a meaty smoked ham bone makes all the meat stock it needs. And
> chicken stock with smoked ham besides not being kosher is big time
> TIAD.

Oh definitely. That smoked ham hock is going to make it so much more kosher.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Sep 28, 7:40 am, Nan > wrote:
>> But I miss homemade Chicken soup with noodles(can you believe I've
>> dreamed about it?),

> Nan there are low carb noodles out there. You can do the chicken
> soup,.

Low carb noodles??? Do tell me more ...

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote:
>
>> Nan there are low carb noodles out there. You can do the chicken
>> soup,.

> Low carb noodles??? Do tell me more ...

Shirataki noodles are nearly all fiber. Their carb count after fiber
deduction is so low you count basically any amount as one gram. Not
zero but very low. They come wet. Not the same texture or flavor as
high carb noodles but for those who are on a low carb or grain free
program where high carb noodles aren't an option they work.

Given the choice I'll go with high carb noodles of something other than
wheat, but that's because I'm wheat intolerant so I avoid wheat
constantly but I'm only a wannabe low carber so I avoid high carb foods
some of the time. I use noodles of quinoa, rice or sometimes corn. On
rare occasions I've found all buckwheat noodles. Usually Japanese
buckwheat noodles list wheat flour as their first ingredient so the all
buckwheat ones are a rare find at health food places.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote:
>>
>>> Nan there are low carb noodles out there. You can do the chicken
>>> soup,.

>> Low carb noodles??? Do tell me more ...

> Shirataki noodles are nearly all fiber. Their carb count after fiber
> deduction is so low you count basically any amount as one gram. Not
> zero but very low. They come wet. Not the same texture or flavor as
> high carb noodles but for those who are on a low carb or grain free
> program where high carb noodles aren't an option they work.
>
> Given the choice I'll go with high carb noodles of something other than
> wheat, but that's because I'm wheat intolerant so I avoid wheat
> constantly but I'm only a wannabe low carber so I avoid high carb foods
> some of the time. I use noodles of quinoa, rice or sometimes corn. On
> rare occasions I've found all buckwheat noodles. Usually Japanese
> buckwheat noodles list wheat flour as their first ingredient so the all
> buckwheat ones are a rare find at health food places.

Thanks, Doug. You may know I am in UK and I have never seen such. I
shall be looking though

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote:
>
>> Shirataki noodles are nearly all fiber. Their carb count after fiber
>> deduction is so low you count basically any amount as one gram. Not
>> zero but very low. They come wet. Not the same texture or flavor as
>> high carb noodles but for those who are on a low carb or grain free
>> program where high carb noodles aren't an option they work.

> Thanks, Doug. You may know I am in UK and I have never seen such. I
> shall be looking though

In the US shirataki noodles are at every Asian ethnic store not just the
specfically Japanese ones, and they sometimes appear near the tofu in
regular grocery stores. If there's a Chinatown district anywhere near
you there will be at least one ethnic grocery that has them, and maybe
some regular grocery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote:
>>
>>> Shirataki noodles are nearly all fiber. Their carb count after fiber
>>> deduction is so low you count basically any amount as one gram. Not
>>> zero but very low. They come wet. Not the same texture or flavor as
>>> high carb noodles but for those who are on a low carb or grain free
>>> program where high carb noodles aren't an option they work.

>> Thanks, Doug. You may know I am in UK and I have never seen such. I
>> shall be looking though

> In the US shirataki noodles are at every Asian ethnic store not just the
> specfically Japanese ones, and they sometimes appear near the tofu in
> regular grocery stores. If there's a Chinatown district anywhere near
> you there will be at least one ethnic grocery that has them, and maybe
> some regular grocery.

No Chinese that I know of, but I will have a look around, thanks

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan wrote:
> On Sep 27, 11:37 am, Andy > wrote:
>> Chet > wrote:
>>> I have made split pea soup a few times, but cannot get the nice
>>> flavor that when I get it at the restaurants, not sure what I am
>>> missing in my recipe.

>>> this is my recipe in a crock pot
>>> 2 qts water
>>> 1 lb dried split peas
>>> 2 carrots chopped
>>> 2 stalks celery chopped
>>> 1 onion sliced
>>> some salt & pepper
>>> 1 small ham hock
>>> 1 bay leaf

>>> after 8hrs I remove the ham hock and take the meat off the bone,
>>> then I use a stick blender, let it cool and scoop off the layer of
>>> fat on the top of the soup and add the ham pcs it's not bad, but
>>> there is a smokey flavor missing.

>> That's about exactly my recipe, only I use 3 slices of bacon in
>> place of the ham hock.
>>
>> One of the few dishes that I add salt to in ernest!
>>
>> Also, eight hours is out of the question. 2 hours simmering at most.
>>
>> After cooking, I use a foley mill to finish it down to a smooth soup.
>>
>> Andy

> I agree with Andy
> Nan in DE

I am so sorry to hear that.

Is there anything that we can do to help?

REC: Split Pea Soup Mike Muth General Cooking 38 13-01-2012 05:36 PM
Split Pea Soup Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 02:56 PM
Split Pea With Ham Soup Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2006 03:08 AM
Split pea soup serene General Cooking 63 04-04-2006 01:15 AM
Split Pea With Ham Soup Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 31-12-2005 01:44 PM