Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cell phone idiots revisited

Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
pedestrians?
I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
walked right into me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote on 3/28/2006:
>> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
>> pedestrians? I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
>> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
>> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
>> walked right into me.

The same thing happened to me a few months ago-- but::::
She wasn't on the cell phone. She was behind me and walked right into me.
Big time. With her cart!
My point: some people are unconscious no matter what they do.

In the library the other day there were 3 kids, one mother. They were
running the aisles, very loud. The mother was loudly saying, all these
'things' you say to kids nowadays. Time out, etc. I try to avoid bodily
contact; one really has to be alert not to get walked or run into these
days. I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
frontal if you don't quickly step aside. They are in such a HURRY! Some
people get disgusted with older people's slow walking, but it's all not
age -- there's more to it than that. But many younger people haven't a
clue.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> pedestrians?
> I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> walked right into me.

There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and no
doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
me"

People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are you.

Larry T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

<trimmed>

> I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
> frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
by.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>

> <trimmed>
>
>> I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
>> frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

> I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
> get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
> either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
> prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.
>
> I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
> store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
> side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
> and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
> by.
>
> Pete C.

I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this happens
to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons flashed
that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their radar
screen.
BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LT" > wrote

> There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
> no
> doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
> me"
>
> People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
> you.

(laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
and ...

this the thing ...

.... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

What a brat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > Dee Randall wrote:
> >>

> > <trimmed>
> >
> >> I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
> >> frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

> > I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
> > get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
> > either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
> > prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.
> >
> > I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
> > store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
> > side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
> > and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to get
> > by.
> >
> > Pete C.

> I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this happens
> to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons flashed
> that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their radar
> screen.

I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
consolidate themselves.

> BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

Plastic Yuppie Vermin

> Dee Dee

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "LT" > wrote
>
> > There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
> > no
> > doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
> > me"
> >
> > People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
> > you.

> (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
> supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
> something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
> up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
> down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
> and ...
>
> this the thing ...
>
> ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
> and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.
>
> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
>
> What a brat.

Which one?

Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
> get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
> either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
> prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

My wife used to accuse me of paranoia when I complained about ignorant
behaviour like that, and the more crowded the place the more likely it is
to happen. I didn't think it was directed at me, just the result of their
ignorance and stupidity. I started pointing it out to her and predicting
it. She came to accept that it was real and not paranoia. I am talking
about things like getting to the top or bottom of an escalator and stopping,
stepping out from stores directly in front of you and ten stopping dead,
often following by aimless spin around and then stepping back, groups of
people walking side by side and expecting you to dodge them, people cutting
across in front of you. Then there are the aisle blockers in grocery stores
who park their cart 2/3 of the way across the aisle and then stand in the
space to look at the goods so that you can't get by on either side.

One of the worst is the automatic doors that slide open from the middle. I
don't know what it is about people that they think that since the door fairy
opened the doors for them than they get to walk right down the middle even
when there are people coming the other way.

I got fed up with dodging people and I no longer do it. I am a hell of a lot
bigger than them. If they run into me they bounce of. Oops. I am sorry. I
guess we weren't watching where we were going.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "LT" > wrote
> >
> > > There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
> > > no
> > > doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right into
> > > me"
> > >
> > > People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
> > > you.

> > (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
> > supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
> > something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
> > up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
> > down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
> > and ...
> >
> > this the thing ...
> >
> > ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
> > and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.
> >
> > I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
> > the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
> >
> > What a brat.

> Which one?
>
> Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.
>
> Sheldon

Yet another reason to study Tai Chi. Yield with no effort and help
them (others) go where they must go. Sometimes on their ass. After
all they must go some where as here is never good enough. I shop quite
a bit these days and I notice our seniors are polite but are not
deferred to out of respect as should be a given. . Sad as every one's
time is on the move.

Bill who was told told I qualify for senior discount.

Yikes

--
Located In S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Vision Problems? Look at http://www.ocutech.com/ ~us$1500

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> > Dee Randall wrote:
>> >>

>> > <trimmed>

>> > I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
>> > get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and
>> > they
>> > either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
>> > prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.
>> >
>> > I particularly like it when a couple of these PYVs are wandering a 6'
>> > store isle taking up the entire isle and I come walking down the right
>> > side of the isle and plow through them when they are too oblivious
>> > and/or arrogant to consolidate themselves to make room for others to
>> > get
>> > by.
>> >
>> > Pete C.

>> I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this
>> happens
>> to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons
>> flashed
>> that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their
>> radar
>> screen.

> I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
> just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
> notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
> ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
> consolidate themselves.
>
>> BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

> Plastic Yuppie Vermin
>
>> Dee Dee

> Pete C.

PYV -- Roaring with laughter! Did you make this up? HA AHAHAHAHAH.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "LT" > wrote
>
>> There is no justice... she is probably thinking YOU walked into her, and
>> no
>> doubt told the person on the phone that "Some idiot just walked right
>> into
>> me"
>>
>> People like that are "staring in their own movie" and who the hell are
>> you.

> (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
> supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
> something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
> up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
> down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
> and ...
>
> this the thing ...
>
> ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
> and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.
>
> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
>
> What a brat.
>
> nancy

You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
This happens, you know.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
>> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
>>
>> What a brat.

> Which one?
>
> Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

That's so funny, I was thinking don't you say something,
sorry! anything? No, just hustle the little princess away.
I suppose the kid's charm is in full force as a teenager, now.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> > Dee Randall wrote:

> >> I'm surprised that men (I assume Pete C. you are a man?) find this
> >> happens
> >> to them. I thought maybe it was a woman thing, that their neurons
> >> flashed
> >> that I was just too small or insignificant to be recognized on their
> >> radar
> >> screen.

> > I think it happens to pretty much everyone. Presumably some people are
> > just so used to having to dodge these idiots that they don't really
> > notice. I used to dodge them, but I wised up and now I just stand my
> > ground and plow through them if they don't have the courtesy to
> > consolidate themselves.
> >
> >> BTW what is PYV -- hmmm -- googled, but nothing.

> > Plastic Yuppie Vermin
> >
> >> Dee Dee

> > Pete C.

> PYV -- Roaring with laughter! Did you make this up? HA AHAHAHAHAH.
> Dee Dee

It does appear that I can claim credit for that one. At least I haven't
found any reference to it that I can't trace back to myself.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Randall wrote:

> You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
> This happens, you know.

True. I was walking through a mall and some woman stepped out from a store right
in front of me. Not a major problem because there was lots of room to move over.
What I wasn't expecting was her yard ape to jump out in front of me. I said a
loud "Excuse me" and the mother turns to the kid and says "Boy, someone sure is
grouchy today". I wonder what she would have done if I had gone with my instinct
and drop kicked her little darling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Randall" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
>> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

> You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
> This happens, you know.

(laugh!) I can hear the announcement now, Bloodshed
on Aisle 3! Cleanup, Aisle 3!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> pedestrians?
> I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> walked right into me.

Reading it, I have to ask --- :-) What about that other person that
almost walked into her? Was he on a cell phone also, or just otherwise
distracted?

(From the theory that it take more than one object to have a collision....)

Or was one of them British, and thus was walking on the wrong side of the
sidewalk......

inquiring minds want to know...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> pedestrians?

OK - seriously then -- sort of..

I know when I'm text messaging in traffic, it seems that I always have more
room around me. I don't look up very often (it's tough running that little
keypad with my glasses up), just enough to stay in the lane, sort of, and
other drivers are not as close as when I am sans texting, so from that
standpoint it seems safer, actually.
My appear-to-be-grown children claim it's not them being polite, it's that
they notice my driving on the sidewalk or drifting into other lanes of
traffic and they avoid me for self prservation. I think that's an
exaggeration, as I seldom drive on the sidewalk.
Besides, what kind of person drives for self preservation?

Y, TFIC

> I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> walked right into me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
>

> > You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
> > This happens, you know.

> True. I was walking through a mall and some woman stepped out from a store right
> in front of me. Not a major problem because there was lots of room to move over.
> What I wasn't expecting was her yard ape to jump out in front of me. I said a
> loud "Excuse me" and the mother turns to the kid and says "Boy, someone sure is
> grouchy today". I wonder what she would have done if I had gone with my instinct
> and drop kicked her little darling.

Just trip over her darling little hell spawn, land on the floor with a
big thud, yell loudly for security and threaten to sue the irresponsible
parent.

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
> >> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
> >>
> >> What a brat.

> > Which one?
> >
> > Proves once again how the brat doesn't fall far from the family tree.

> That's so funny, I was thinking don't you say something,
> sorry! anything? No, just hustle the little princess away.
> I suppose the kid's charm is in full force as a teenager, now.

and she will procreate - and her issue will spread across the planet, little
reaganites acting out the dictum - "what is good for me is good for the
country"

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob hob is offline

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "KevinS" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Dave Smith wrote on 3/28/2006:
> >> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> >> pedestrians? I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> >> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> >> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> >> walked right into me.

> The same thing happened to me a few months ago-- but::::
> She wasn't on the cell phone. She was behind me and walked right into me.
> Big time. With her cart!
> My point: some people are unconscious no matter what they do.
>
> In the library the other day there were 3 kids, one mother. They were
> running the aisles, very loud. The mother was loudly saying, all these
> 'things' you say to kids nowadays. Time out, etc. I try to avoid bodily
> contact; one really has to be alert not to get walked or run into these
> days. I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
> frontal if you don't quickly step aside. They are in such a HURRY! Some
> people get disgusted with older people's slow walking, but it's all not
> age -- there's more to it than that. But many younger people haven't a
> clue.
> Dee Dee

Take heart - your post got me thinking about it - and I think they do get
the worst kind of payback - a taste of their own medicine when their game
backfires.

I'm 6'3 and 225 and am fortunate to have very little gut, with proper
posture my mother (and my DI) required. The "pushers" can be damn funny when
they try their "push" on a big male.

In background, I think big males tend to get cut-ins, etc., a lot, by old
ladies, people crossing lines, etc. I suppose they are betting we feel less
threatened than those smaller and thus we are more tolerant of such things.
We learn not to move suddenly or erratically in crowds, "lest women faint
and children cry". Big males learn to allow their space to develop, as it
were, and look ahead in crowds.
E.g., shopping at the mall in Christmas crowds with my son and daughter
(21 and 26, 6'3 220lbs and 5'11 150lbs resp, both athletes.) is a unique
experience - its funny, since we see the tops of the crowd's heads. And not
from our efforts or our posturing in any way, the crowds part like the Red
Sea before three blonds - even what passes for gang bangers now, ease over.

What's so funny about a face-to-face is that when a collison is being
arranged by someone (and you can see it coming a mile away) , I don't have
to do anything but keep walking until they are too close for them (they
would have stopped sooner in their little game of chicken, but I take that
away by being one step too close for THEM), and then stop. No posturing,
nothing. Just a fairly expressionless "yes" look.

The look on their faces when they get close and find out their neck is
too far back in order to look me in the face and their move didn't work, and
they are too close to face me down and I am not moving back ... and they
also realize where they are standing with their pushing habit and I didn't
do what I was supposed to do for them to win.
You can see the realization, even the erratic males; they get that "oh
s___" look in their eyes when they try to look up and are at their neck's
limit; not reading me properly, they have to assume I am of their mindset
and will do to them as they do to others. And they mumble an apology and
step to the side.
When they very rarely say, "watch where you're going", it's always behind
my back, facing the other way.

Ah, well - it's humanity... they're just counting coup....

enough musing.... back to amusing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote on 3/28/2006:
> > Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> > pedestrians? I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> > her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> > walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> > walked right into me.

> She was obviously preparing the way for the Lord. A much higher
> calling.

A higher calling, perhaps, but do roaming or additional
long-distance charges apply? Does the Lord charge extra
if you phone Him during peak hours?

Bob M.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"William Wagner" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>> > "LT" > wrote

>> > (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
>> > supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
>> > something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts backing
>> > up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run backwards
>> > down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into me,
>> > and ...
>> >
>> > this the thing ...
>> >
>> > ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
>> > and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.
>> >
>> > I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
>> > the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
>> >
>> > What a brat.

> Yet another reason to study Tai Chi. Yield with no effort and help
> them (others) go where they must go. Sometimes on their ass. After
> all they must go some where as here is never good enough. I shop quite
> a bit these days and I notice our seniors are polite but are not
> deferred to out of respect as should be a given. . Sad as every one's
> time is on the move.
>
> Bill who was told told I qualify for senior discount.

Bill, what year was that? ;-<
Dee Dee
who has studied Tai Chi & does Qi Gong now that I'm 'much' older.
I know of which/what you speak. Thanks for incorporating it into your
response.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
>>> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!

>> You're lucky you didn't get a tongue lashing from the mom.
>> This happens, you know.

> (laugh!) I can hear the announcement now, Bloodshed
> on Aisle 3! Cleanup, Aisle 3!
>
> nancy

Please note I didn't say "tongue 'slashing'" ;-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hob wrote:

> > I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> > her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> > walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> > walked right into me.
> >

> Reading it, I have to ask --- :-) What about that other person that
> almost walked into her? Was he on a cell phone also, or just otherwise
> distracted?
>
> (From the theory that it take more than one object to have a collision....)
>
> Or was one of them British, and thus was walking on the wrong side of the
> sidewalk......
>
> inquiring minds want to know...

I was on my way out of the gym, walking down a wide corridor and around a
corner. There was an older woman walking slowly. I had passed her just before
the corner and turned right. A younger woman came walking quickly behind me and
walked into the back of me after I had turned around the corner. She didn't
stop yakking on the phone long enough to say "excuse me".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Don't think they are dangerous for drivers? How about
> pedestrians?
> I had someone walk into me today while she was yakking on
> her cell phone. I was walking around a corner. She was
> walking around the same corner and in the same direction and
> walked right into me.

It's not just drivers and pedestrians... it's bicyclists too now. I remember
my first encounter with one of those a year or so ago. On a dedicated bike
path, there was this bike ahead of me weaving all over the place. I
wondered, is this guy on drugs or something? Looked just like a drunk driver
on the road. No, he was just yakking on his cell phone.

Life has gotten a whole lot more complicated in recent years. Used to be it
was easy to tell the crazy people as you walked down the street... the ones
talking to themselves. Now you have to look close to see if he's using a
hands free device. Might still be crazy, though! ;-)

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>
>> I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
>> get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and
>> they either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems
>> particularly prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do
>> than shop all day.

> My wife used to accuse me of paranoia when I complained about ignorant
> behaviour like that, and the more crowded the place the more likely
> it is to happen. I didn't think it was directed at me, just the
> result of their ignorance and stupidity. I started pointing it out
> to her and predicting it. She came to accept that it was real and not
> paranoia. I am talking about things like getting to the top or
> bottom of an escalator and stopping, stepping out from stores
> directly in front of you and ten stopping dead

The one that bugs me is when I'm in an elevator filled with people and it
stops; obviously someone is going to want to get out. But no, these people
waiting for the elevator jump right on in and then you have to "excuse me,
excuse ME!" to get out on your floor before the doors close.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit
of electronic flotsam written by "Nancy Young" > in
:

> (laugh) I met one in training a few years back. Little girl in the
> supermarket pushing the cart. The parent stopped to look at
> something, I was waiting behind their cart. Little girl starts
> backing up, I tried to get out of the way but, really, I can't run
> backwards down a supermarket aisle with a cart. Bink! she backed into
> me, and ...
>
> this the thing ...
>
> ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
> and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.
>
> I said, no, you backed into me (why am I even bothering) and
> the parent scooted over, come on, let's go!
>
> What a brat.

About 10 years ago, when I had a job as a bank courier, I had the exact
same thing happen to me, only it was a 16 year old girl with what looked
like a brand-new BMW, possibly given to her as a birthday present. I was
behind her trying to exit the parking lot of the bank through an exit
which was only about 5 car lengths from the light towards which the
traffic was moving.

(This all takes place in America, where people drive on the right, not
the left)

It was rush hour in the evening, she was trying to turn left across 2
lanes of oncoming traffic which would stack up at the light so easily
that she could wait a hour without getting out in that direction from
that exit. I was behind her, waiting to make a right turn. Despite the
fact that I blew my horn when her backup lights came on, she backed up
right into me. other facts: her rear window was fogged up, and I think
her windows were all closed, and she may have had the radio on.

She jumped out of her car and started crying, yelling, "You ran into
me!"

Among other things, I had the unpleasant task of explaining to a high-
level corporate manager calling long-distance from Nevada exactly what
happened, as her father later claimed (falsely) that I had admitted
liability at the scene).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:
> >

> <trimmed>
>
> > I've noticed in New England the people will run right into you full
> > frontal if you don't quickly step aside.

> I noticed that as well, a sort of arrogant "I'm more important so you
> get out of my way". They are real startled when you don't budge and they
> either have to step to the side of get flattened. Seems particularly
> prevalent among PYV women with nothing better to do than shop all day.

What is a "PYV woman", please?

Miche

--
WWMVD?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"BookWight" > wrote

> of electronic flotsam written by "Nancy Young" > in
> :

>> ... looked me up and down with this Who the hell are you? look,
>> and declared You ran into me. Like a little 30 year old.

> About 10 years ago, when I had a job as a bank courier, I had the exact
> same thing happen to me, only it was a 16 year old girl with what looked
> like a brand-new BMW, possibly given to her as a birthday present.

Oh, no. A brat in a Daddylac. Nothing worse.

> It was rush hour in the evening, she was trying to turn left across 2
> lanes of oncoming traffic which would stack up at the light so easily
> that she could wait a hour without getting out in that direction from
> that exit.

(sigh) Hello, make a right and turn around later.

> I was behind her, waiting to make a right turn. Despite the
> fact that I blew my horn when her backup lights came on, she backed up
> right into me. other facts: her rear window was fogged up, and I think
> her windows were all closed, and she may have had the radio on.
>
> She jumped out of her car and started crying, yelling, "You ran into
> me!"

Incredible.

> Among other things, I had the unpleasant task of explaining to a high-
> level corporate manager calling long-distance from Nevada exactly what
> happened, as her father later claimed (falsely) that I had admitted
> liability at the scene).

Yeah, sounds as if it could be that little wench from the supermarket.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wandering along the edges of rec.food.cooking, I found the following bit of
electronic flotsam written by "Nancy Young" > in
:

>> It was rush hour in the evening, she was trying to turn left across 2
>> lanes of oncoming traffic which would stack up at the light so easily
>> that she could wait a hour without getting out in that direction from
>> that exit.

> (sigh) Hello, make a right and turn around later.

When I was learning to drive, my dad noticed my tendency to avoid left
turns - he said I'd go a couple of miles out of my way to avoid having to
make a left turn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:15:44 +1200, Miche wrote:

> What is a "PYV woman", please?

I have absolutely NO idea, but I'll guess it's Pick Your Vise".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Don't know who wrote this,

>>> It was rush hour in the evening, she was trying to turn left across 2
>>> lanes of oncoming traffic which would stack up at the light so easily
>>> that she could wait a hour without getting out in that direction from
>>> that exit.

but it reminded me of a haiku about Cape Cod summer traffic for which I won
$25:

On my way to work
I must wait 'til September
to make a left turn