Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Life after cell phone

I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

nb

Old 03-05-2016, 02:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" wrote in message
I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

nb

As long as you're happy, that's what counts.

Cheri

Old 03-05-2016, 02:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

nb

Sell it on eBay.

Jill
Old 03-05-2016, 03:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 7:21 AM, notbob wrote:
I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

nb

No they don't.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

I can still wifi the browser to check weather. The timer functions
work great and I use 'em all the time, having tossed all my
wris****ches, yrs ago. No problem, as the time feature still works,
also. Not sure where it's getting its time signal from, but who
cares. When the battery dies, I'll toss the entire device and perhaps
buy a cheaper non Ad-roid Tracfone. Ad-roid phones suck.

I was in Rite-Aid store this morning and thought to look at their
cheap phones. Tracfone was the cheapest. My plan is to buy a very
cheap one and use it just for the wifi and other apps without signing
up for a phone plan.

I'd like to do this before buying a phone and also phone access. Any
ideas of the best way to start?

Old 03-05-2016, 05:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

Jill

Old 03-05-2016, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

notbob wrote:

[...]

I got a cheapo LG Realm Tracfone on Amazon several years ago, I think it was thirty bux. I never activated it, just use it for WiFi hotspots, Google maps, and I have 32 gigs of old time radio, music, etc. on the SD card, so I use it for that...

All the apps, etc. will work just fine, even though it's not activated...

--
Best
Greg
Old 03-05-2016, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-05-03, jmcquown wrote:

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

Great info! Thnx, Jill.

nb
Old 03-05-2016, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

Jill

Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)

I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?

The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!

Fools abound! ;-(

John Kuthe...

Old 03-05-2016, 08:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 12:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

Even the Android phones still suck for web browsing. They are a
completely different experience than using a real computer. Web
servers give you a downsized "streamlined" my ass! version of the
web page than if you were using a real browser on a real computer.

As much as I appreciate having the tablet on vacation, I wondered
about people having only that kind of thing to browse the web,
the sites are missing a lot of content.

They are good for playing games and listening to music, though. And
the occasional satellite weather imaging to know when and how long
it's going to rain. I bootleg all my games and apps and have never
activated Google Pay Services or downloaded anything from the Google
Store, which requires a lot of overhead on your phone and is the main
conduit by which Google invades your privacy (just look at it's
permission settings).

All those apps want all kinds of permissions, even if you are
willing to pay for them.

Even the public library. Go away. It's very off-putting.
No, you don't need access to my photos. Not that I have any on
the tablet, not the point.

nancy
Old 03-05-2016, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2016 1:36 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

Jill

Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)

I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?

The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!

Fools abound! ;-(

John Kuthe...

Guess what's missing from just about every street corner and storefront
- the then ubiquitous PAY PHONE BOOTH!

The only thing you're a dime away from now is a cheap Hershey kiss to
stuff your hypocritical Chicom-hating face with!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:33:32 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

AFAIK, it's the same in most countries, which is why I keep old phones
with chargers in the glove box of my cars.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 May 2016 12:36:30 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
On 5/3/2016 9:21 AM, notbob wrote:
I don't usually post off-topic, but this time.....

I let my cell phone acct lapse ....on purpose! Gee, I don't miss it
one bit. I have no more cell phone capability, but I still have the
device and it works pretty dang good, w/o the phone part.

911 also works on that non-active cell phone. In case you fall and you
can't get up.

Jill

Oh yeah, like in REAL emergencies!! ;-)

I've never had a cell phone I used a great amount, and I don't WANT ONE!! How did y'all survive all those emergencies you claim to NEED a cell phone for? HA! Yeah right!! Never, right?

The billion$ telecommuniucations corporations sold y'all a "bill of goods!" HA!!

Fools abound! ;-(

You know, you're so perceptive and see things so clearly, people
should write you in for president.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Of where, Astrailler?