Old 21-06-2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

Old 21-06-2009, 05:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 9:25*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

walk out of the joint.

harriet & critters (j j who is still sleeping; and faddy tabby catty
who demands her breakfast every morning beginning at 6:30 AM)
Old 21-06-2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

Go ahead and order the food. Then call him every 3 minutes asking
where your food is.
Old 21-06-2009, 05:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 11:25*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

I've seen people that have what I call "cell phone twitch", where they
have their hand up along side their face and don't even have a cell
phone in their hand!! But it looks like they are using their cell
phone. It's just a nervous habit.

And don't even get me STARTED about those Blue Tooth earpiece devices!
Borg, each and every last one of 'em!! "Resistance is futile, you will
be assimilated!"

John Kuthe...
Old 21-06-2009, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:53:19 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
wrote:

On Jun 21, 11:25*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

I've seen people that have what I call "cell phone twitch", where they
have their hand up along side their face and don't even have a cell
phone in their hand!! But it looks like they are using their cell
phone. It's just a nervous habit.

And don't even get me STARTED about those Blue Tooth earpiece devices!
Borg, each and every last one of 'em!! "Resistance is futile, you will
be assimilated!"

John Kuthe...

I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
at a theatre. Nothing worse than being in a nice restaurant having a
conversation and some assholes phone rings, and rings, and rings.
I'd like to see someone take the offenders phone and drop it in their
soup (just once)
In the car I have a hands free that slides on my rear view mirror,
as the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
no one is ready). This allows me to keep my eyes peeled for fools on
their phones wandering in and out of my lane.

Old 21-06-2009, 06:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

Walk out but be sure to let the manager know why I did.
Old 21-06-2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 12:25*pm, "The Ranger" wrote:
We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

Get up and find Le Manager.

Old 21-06-2009, 06:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 1:08*pm, "-- Stu" wrote:

the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
no one is ready).

I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

Old 21-06-2009, 06:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Exactly, I am a heavy cellphone user but I know what voicemail is for. I
shut the phone off or at least put it in manner mode.
Part of the reason of going to a restaurant is to get away. Those
attention seeking folks with the loud annoying ringtones are just plain
rude and crude.

Old 21-06-2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
On Jun 21, 1:08 pm, "-- Stu" wrote:

the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
no one is ready).

I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

Naw, we are turning into nanny states with feel good laws. The three
neighboring states have "hands free" laws and ours is supposed to be
next. But police can already cite you without any additional laws if
they observe you weaving etc. Should we also have laws that we can't
change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

Old 21-06-2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"The Ranger" wrote:

We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

I think you're reaching. Has it ever happened to you?
(I'd be tempted to call the restaurant after getting the server's name
and explain why I was leaving.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Old 21-06-2009, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"-- Stu" wrote:

I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
at a theatre.

Not me. I carry it in my, uh, cleavage, on 'vibrate' mode. And hope
like hell someone calls. "-) The ringtone is so annoying.
Old 21-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote in message
In article , "The
Ranger" wrote:

We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to
put down their phone, let alone turn it off, while dining
out. What would you do if a server walked up to your
table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

I think you're reaching. Has it ever happened to you?

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable,
vomitous mass [..] But, then again..."

(I'd be tempted to call the restaurant after getting the server's name
and explain why I was leaving.)

As you removed it from its hiding place in front of said manager or server?

The Ranger

Old 21-06-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote in news:01b5211e-cc31-43ac-ae41-
:

I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

California has such a law. It's a joke - never enforced.
Old 21-06-2009, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote in -
september.org:

Should we also have laws that we can't
change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of multitasking
in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by sounds that do not
distract us from what we are doing. Most people are able to drive while
talking to a passenger, changing the radio, etc.

A cellphone is completely different - the cellphone conversation demands
most of the brain's attention. I cannot count the number of times I've seen
cellphone impaired drivers do absolutely mindnumbingly stupid things.

And, yes, they are impaired. A University of Utah study found that the
average person when talking on a cellphone is as impaired as if they have
had three drinks. That will put you over the limit in most states.