Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
your order?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 9:25*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?
>
> The Ranger

walk out of the joint.

harriet & critters (j j who is still sleeping; and faddy tabby catty
who demands her breakfast every morning beginning at 6:30 AM)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?

Go ahead and order the food. Then call him every 3 minutes asking
where your food is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 11:25*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?
>
> The Ranger

I've seen people that have what I call "cell phone twitch", where they
have their hand up along side their face and don't even have a cell
phone in their hand!! But it looks like they are using their cell
phone. It's just a nervous habit.

And don't even get me STARTED about those Blue Tooth earpiece devices!
Borg, each and every last one of 'em!! "Resistance is futile, you will
be assimilated!"

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:53:19 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Jun 21, 11:25*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
>> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
>> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
>> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
>> your order?
>>
>> The Ranger

>I've seen people that have what I call "cell phone twitch", where they
>have their hand up along side their face and don't even have a cell
>phone in their hand!! But it looks like they are using their cell
>phone. It's just a nervous habit.
>
>And don't even get me STARTED about those Blue Tooth earpiece devices!
>Borg, each and every last one of 'em!! "Resistance is futile, you will
>be assimilated!"
>
>John Kuthe...

I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
at a theatre. Nothing worse than being in a nice restaurant having a
conversation and some assholes phone rings, and rings, and rings.
I'd like to see someone take the offenders phone and drop it in their
soup (just once)
In the car I have a hands free that slides on my rear view mirror,
as the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
no one is ready). This allows me to keep my eyes peeled for fools on
their phones wandering in and out of my lane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?
>
> The Ranger

Walk out but be sure to let the manager know why I did.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 12:25*pm, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?

Get up and find Le Manager.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 1:08*pm, "--> Stu" > wrote:

the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
> no one is ready).

I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

--> Stu wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:53:19 -0700 (PDT), John Kuthe
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jun 21, 11:25 am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
>>> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
>>> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
>>> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
>>> your order?
>>>
>>> The Ranger

>> I've seen people that have what I call "cell phone twitch", where they
>> have their hand up along side their face and don't even have a cell
>> phone in their hand!! But it looks like they are using their cell
>> phone. It's just a nervous habit.
>>
>> And don't even get me STARTED about those Blue Tooth earpiece devices!
>> Borg, each and every last one of 'em!! "Resistance is futile, you will
>> be assimilated!"
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
> at a theatre. Nothing worse than being in a nice restaurant having a
> conversation and some assholes phone rings, and rings, and rings.
> I'd like to see someone take the offenders phone and drop it in their
> soup (just once)

Exactly, I am a heavy cellphone user but I know what voicemail is for. I
shut the phone off or at least put it in manner mode.
Part of the reason of going to a restaurant is to get away. Those
attention seeking folks with the loud annoying ringtones are just plain
rude and crude.

> In the car I have a hands free that slides on my rear view mirror,
> as the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
> no one is ready). This allows me to keep my eyes peeled for fools on
> their phones wandering in and out of my lane.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 21, 1:08 pm, "--> Stu" > wrote:
>
> the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
>> no one is ready).

> I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

Naw, we are turning into nanny states with feel good laws. The three
neighboring states have "hands free" laws and ours is supposed to be
next. But police can already cite you without any additional laws if
they observe you weaving etc. Should we also have laws that we can't
change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?
>
> The Ranger

I think you're reaching. Has it ever happened to you?
(I'd be tempted to call the restaurant after getting the server's name
and explain why I was leaving.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"--> Stu" > wrote:

> I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
> at a theatre.

Not me. I carry it in my, uh, cleavage, on 'vibrate' mode. And hope
like hell someone calls. "-) The ringtone is so annoying.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> In article >, "The
> Ranger" > wrote:

>> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to
>> put down their phone, let alone turn it off, while dining
>> out. What would you do if a server walked up to your
>> table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
>> your order?
>>

> I think you're reaching. Has it ever happened to you?

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable,
vomitous mass [..] But, then again..."

> (I'd be tempted to call the restaurant after getting the server's name
> and explain why I was leaving.)

As you removed it from its hiding place in front of said manager or server?

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote in news:01b5211e-cc31-43ac-ae41-
:

> I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

California has such a law. It's a joke - never enforced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George > wrote in -
september.org:

> Should we also have laws that we can't
> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of multitasking
in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by sounds that do not
distract us from what we are doing. Most people are able to drive while
talking to a passenger, changing the radio, etc.

A cellphone is completely different - the cellphone conversation demands
most of the brain's attention. I cannot count the number of times I've seen
cellphone impaired drivers do absolutely mindnumbingly stupid things.

And, yes, they are impaired. A University of Utah study found that the
average person when talking on a cellphone is as impaired as if they have
had three drinks. That will put you over the limit in most states.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > writes:

> What would you do if a server walked up to your table talking on his
> or her cell phone....

Nothing to even remotely annoy the server. That only invites
food-based retaliation. The 2 cent tip is brilliantly simple and
devastatingly effective in relaying your feelings.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Stu wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:24:34 -0400, George >
> wrote:
>
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>> On Jun 21, 1:08 pm, "--> Stu" > wrote:
>>>
>>> the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
>>> I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.
>>>

>> Naw, we are turning into nanny states with feel good laws. The three
>> neighboring states have "hands free" laws and ours is supposed to be
>> next. But police can already cite you without any additional laws if
>> they observe you weaving etc. Should we also have laws that we can't
>> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

> No, but if you're driving with undue care and caution while engrossed
> in your cell phone conversation, you need someone to step in with
> either a hefty fine or a more serious charge affecting your privilege
> to drive before more are killed.

Why? It's already against the law to drive recklessly. Should there be a
law for every single reason you might drive recklessly? No driving with
an annoying two-year-old in the car? No driving while you're worried
about being laid off? No driving while your foot hurts?

Serene
--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Cell phone safety (was Servers Strike Back -- Cell Phone Usage

elaich wrote:
> George > wrote in -
> september.org:
>
>> Should we also have laws that we can't
>> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?
>>

> That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of multitasking
> in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by sounds that do not
> distract us from what we are doing. Most people are able to drive while
> talking to a passenger, changing the radio, etc.

Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is safer.

Below are some exerpts from
http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/i...ce/cellphones/
(I'll let folks read the rest for themselves). Those who want their
ObFood can read the next paragraph and skip the OT stuff that follows.

ObFood: Today, I need to bake bread, and I want to do something
different. Thinking of adding caramelized onions to my regular loaf, but
might go searching for something fun. Any ideas?

Serene

# Motorists who use cellphones while driving are four times as likely to
get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves, according to a
study of drivers in Perth, Australia, conducted by the Insurance
Institute for Highway Safety. The results, published in July 2005,
suggest that banning hand-held phone use will not necessarily improve
safety if drivers simply switch to hand-free phones. The study found
that injury crash risk didn't vary with type of phone.

# Many studies have shown that using hand-held cellphones while driving
can constitute a hazardous distraction. However, the theory that
hands-free sets are safer has been challenged by the findings of several
studies. A study from researchers at the University of Utah, published
in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors, the quarterly journal of the
Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, concludes that talking on a
cellphone while driving is as dangerous as driving drunk, even if the
phone is a hands-free model. An earlier study by researchers at the
university found that motorists who talked on hands-free cellphones were
18 percent slower in braking and took 17 percent longer to regain the
speed they lost when they braked.

# A September 2004 study from the NHTSA found that drivers using
hand-free cellphones had to redial calls 40 percent of the time,
compared with 18 percent for drivers using hand-held sets, suggesting
that hands-free sets may provide drivers with a false sense of ease.

# A study released in April 2006 found that almost 80 percent of crashes
and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention
within three seconds of the event. The study, The 100-Car Naturalistic
Driving Study, conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), breaks
new ground. (Earlier research found that driver inattention was
responsible for 25 to 30 percent of crashes.) The new study found that
the most common distraction is the use of cellphones, followed by
drowsiness. However, cellphone use is far less likely to be the cause of
a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study.
For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup
increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by nine times, talking or
listening on a hand-held cellphone only increased the risk by 1.3 times.
The study tracked the behavior of the 241 drivers of 100 vehicles for
more than one year. The drivers were involved in 82 crashes, 761
near-crashes and 8,295 critical incidents.

# These findings confirm an August 2003 report from the AAA Foundation
for Traffic Safety that concluded that drivers are far less distracted
by their cellphones than by other common activities, such as reaching
for items on the seat or glove compartment or talking to passengers.
That study was based on the analysis of videotapes from cameras
installed in the vehicles of 70 drivers in North Carolina and Pennsylvania.

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:26:15 -0700:

> elaich wrote:
>> George > wrote in
>> -
>> september.org:
>>
>>> Should we also have laws that we can't change the station on the
>>> radio or talk to a vehicle
>>> occupant too?
>>>

>> That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of
>> multitasking in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by
>> sounds that do not distract us from what we are doing. Most
>> people are able to drive while talking to a passenger,
>> changing the radio, etc.

> Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is
> safer.

What do think of the totally hands-free Bluetooth phones? They can be
programmed to autodial simply by speaking a name.

I can't think of any driver who would totally refuse to speak to a
passenger, even if a highly technical conversation might be distracting.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...
[Major snippage]
> The 2 cent tip is brilliantly simple and devastatingly
> effective in relaying your feelings.

Without a doubt, this is an underutilized tool available to every patron!
Unfortunately, most are too timid to take advantage of it.

We hit a Mexican restaurant the other day. The owner is devoting more time
to actually managing his employees nowadays instead of doing everything
himself. That's good because I really like seeing this place succeed where
others are failing. Unfortunately, he has one waitress that just doesn't get
it. He's constantly "assisting" her with simple steps, like clearing dishes
before dropping the check (my major pet peeve). She dropped the check off
right after she dropped the meals and we didn't see her again. At one
point, he walked the dining area and saw that every one of her tables had
customers waiting for her to come back and collect the money. He efficiently
collected the plates and checks and was back before she knew what was going
on. As he came by, I asked him to make sure she got her tip and set down two
of my shiniest pennies. He tilted his head and promised he would. I promised
to come back to see if things improved as we walked to the door. The two
tables on either side of us also picked up their paper change and left the
coinage. One couple talked to him prior to leaving. I'm pretty sure she's
going to learn a good lesson or not be there in the future.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Serene wrote on Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:26:15 -0700:
>
>> elaich wrote:
>>> George > wrote in -
>>> september.org:

>>> That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of
>>> multitasking in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by
>>> sounds that do not distract us from what we are doing. Most
>>> people are able to drive while talking to a passenger,
>>> changing the radio, etc.

>> Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is
>> safer.

> What do think of the totally hands-free Bluetooth phones? They can be
> programmed to autodial simply by speaking a name.

I've read research that says that we are as distracted by a completely
hands-free call as we are by a hands-on cellphone call.

> I can't think of any driver who would totally refuse to speak to a
> passenger, even if a highly technical conversation might be distracting.

In one of the studies I read is correct, because the people in our car
can see what's going on around us, they stop talking/distracting when
something dangerous is going on, and we feel less compelled to talk to
them or explain what's going on -- in other words, we are less likely to
let them distract us, because we don't have this knee-jerk "I'm on the
phone so I shouldn't just hang up and drive" reaction to passengers in
the car.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article h>,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message
> > In article >, "The
> > Ranger" > wrote:

> >> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to
> >> put down their phone, let alone turn it off, while dining
> >> out. What would you do if a server walked up to your
> >> table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> >> your order?
> >>

> > I think you're reaching. Has it ever happened to you?

> "It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable,
> vomitous mass [..] But, then again..."
>

> > (I'd be tempted to call the restaurant after getting the server's name
> > and explain why I was leaving.)

> As you removed it from its hiding place in front of said manager or server?
>
> The Ranger

You betcha!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 11:38*am, "The Ranger" > wrote:
> wrote in ....
>
> [Major snippage]
>
> > The 2 cent tip is brilliantly simple and devastatingly
> > effective in relaying your feelings.

> Without a doubt, this is an underutilized tool available to every patron!
> . *At one

.. One couple talked to him prior to leaving. I'm pretty sure she's
> going to learn a good lesson or not be there in the future.
>
> The Ranger

she should be fired & a new server hired & trained...however, he may
be stuck with a close relative, i.e., wife, daughter, aunt, etc. when
i have a rude,incompetent server, i usually drop the pennies in the
water glass.

harriet & critters in azusa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> ObFood: Today, I need to bake bread, and I want to do something
> different. Thinking of adding caramelized onions to my regular loaf,
> but might go searching for something fun. Any ideas?

One of our favourites was to add sundried tomato and herbs. I tried onions
in various form but dried was the only type that worked for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> elaich wrote:
>> George > wrote in
>> - september.org:
>>
>>> Should we also have laws that we can't
>>> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?
>>>

>> That is a completely different thing. The brain is capable of
>> multitasking in it's normal environment. We are surrounded by sounds
>> that do not distract us from what we are doing. Most people are able
>> to drive while talking to a passenger, changing the radio, etc.

> Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is safer.

In UK it is illegal to use a cell phone while driving. If it is suspected
that one has been used while driving, then cell phone records will be used
to prove it.

I agree that hands free is must as dangerous but atm it is not illegal here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> wrote in message
> ... [Major snippage]
>> The 2 cent tip is brilliantly simple and devastatingly
>> effective in relaying your feelings.

> Without a doubt, this is an underutilized tool available to every
> patron! Unfortunately, most are too timid to take advantage of it.
>
> We hit a Mexican restaurant the other day. The owner is devoting more
> time to actually managing his employees nowadays instead of doing
> everything himself. That's good because I really like seeing this
> place succeed where others are failing. Unfortunately, he has one
> waitress that just doesn't get it. He's constantly "assisting" her
> with simple steps, like clearing dishes before dropping the check (my
> major pet peeve). She dropped the check off right after she dropped
> the meals and we didn't see her again. At one point, he walked the
> dining area and saw that every one of her tables had customers
> waiting for her to come back and collect the money. He efficiently
> collected the plates and checks and was back before she knew what was
> going on. As he came by, I asked him to make sure she got her tip and
> set down two of my shiniest pennies. He tilted his head and promised
> he would. I promised to come back to see if things improved as we
> walked to the door. The two tables on either side of us also picked
> up their paper change and left the coinage. One couple talked to him
> prior to leaving. I'm pretty sure she's going to learn a good lesson
> or not be there in the future.

He is either fool or he is sleeping with her!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:

> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
> let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
> walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
> your order?
>
> The Ranger

I think there is some confusion here as to the roles of the waitstaff
and the customer. The waitstaff has the job of waiting on me the
customer, if I happen to be on the phone, that is my business, not
theirs.

The waitstaff have the option of skipping me and handling their other
tables and coming back when I'm off the phone, or they can stop by and
ask if I'm ready to order.

It's no different than if I'm still looking at the menu, you can stop
and ask if I'm ready to order and I can either tell you to stop back in
a few minutes, or I can put down the menu and order.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Stu wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:24:34 -0400, George >
> wrote:
>
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>> On Jun 21, 1:08 pm, "--> Stu" > wrote:
>>>
>>> the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
>>> I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.
>>>

>> Naw, we are turning into nanny states with feel good laws. The three
>> neighboring states have "hands free" laws and ours is supposed to be
>> next. But police can already cite you without any additional laws if
>> they observe you weaving etc. Should we also have laws that we can't
>> change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

> No, but if you're driving with undue care and caution while engrossed
> in your cell phone conversation, you need someone to step in with
> either a hefty fine or a more serious charge affecting your privilege
> to drive before more are killed.

I don't disagree. Thats why I mentioned that the police can already cite
you for careless or reckless driving (happened to my buddies girlfriend
who was engrossed in a conversation). All these new extra laws are just
feel good nonsense.

> Imagine you are coming home and the cell phone rings, it's your wife
> wanting you to stop at the market. You and her get into a heated
> arguement, you are distracted and run someone down at a crosswalk.
> Not just their life is over but your's as well.
>
> I think it's a good law.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote

> Not true, and it's also not true that the hands-free option is safer.
>
> Below are some exerpts from
> http://www.iii.org/media/hottopics/i...ce/cellphones/

There were enough idiots causing accidents *before* cell phone distractions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> "--> Stu" >
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I usually shut my phone off entering a restaurant, just as I do when
>> at a theatre. Nothing worse than being in a nice restaurant having a
>> conversation and some assholes phone rings, and rings, and rings.
>> I'd like to see someone take the offenders phone and drop it in their
>> soup (just once)

> <raising hand> Let me! Let me!
>

>> In the car I have a hands free that slides on my rear view mirror,
>> as the law ( no talking on handheld cell phone) is coming soon ( and
>> no one is ready). This allows me to keep my eyes peeled for fools on
>> their phones wandering in and out of my lane.

> I don't even have mine on in the car. I don't even look at it and I never
> dial out or talk on it unless I'm parked. I've never had to use it due
> to an emergency but that's why I carry it. It does come in handy
> sometimes but never while driving.
>
> Michael

I canceled my cell account and gave the phone to Cells for Soldiers when
I retired in 2007. Don't miss it at all. The landline is going next,
AT&T has screwed me for the last time.

DW still works and has a Jitterbug cell, doesn't cost a lot, isn't used
a lot, and works anywhere in the US. Don't need texting, voice mail,
special ring tones, call forwarding, or any of the other junk that you
have to pay for extra. She basically uses it for emergencies such as
letting me know she will be late for dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> ObFood: Today, I need to bake bread, and I want to do something
>> different. Thinking of adding caramelized onions to my regular loaf,
>> but might go searching for something fun. Any ideas?

> One of our favourites was to add sundried tomato and herbs. I tried onions
> in various form but dried was the only type that worked for me.

Thanks for the tip. I use dried onions in bread all the time (takes
about a teaspoon in my standard loaf), but I didn't know if cooked
onions would work. I think maybe I'll go in a different direction. Hmm.
Nuts and honey?

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>> wrote in message
>> ... [Major snippage]
>>> The 2 cent tip is brilliantly simple and devastatingly
>>> effective in relaying your feelings.

>> Without a doubt, this is an underutilized tool available to every
>> patron! Unfortunately, most are too timid to take advantage of it.
>>
>> We hit a Mexican restaurant the other day. The owner is devoting more
>> time to actually managing his employees nowadays instead of doing
>> everything himself. That's good because I really like seeing this
>> place succeed where others are failing. Unfortunately, he has one
>> waitress that just doesn't get it. He's constantly "assisting" her
>> with simple steps, like clearing dishes before dropping the check (my
>> major pet peeve). She dropped the check off right after she dropped
>> the meals and we didn't see her again. At one point, he walked the
>> dining area and saw that every one of her tables had customers
>> waiting for her to come back and collect the money. He efficiently
>> collected the plates and checks and was back before she knew what was
>> going on. As he came by, I asked him to make sure she got her tip and
>> set down two of my shiniest pennies. He tilted his head and promised
>> he would. I promised to come back to see if things improved as we
>> walked to the door. The two tables on either side of us also picked
>> up their paper change and left the coinage. One couple talked to him
>> prior to leaving. I'm pretty sure she's going to learn a good lesson
>> or not be there in the future.

> He is either fool or he is sleeping with her!

It may be his daughter or another close relative.
gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>> ObFood: Today, I need to bake bread, and I want to do something
>>> different. Thinking of adding caramelized onions to my regular loaf,
>>> but might go searching for something fun. Any ideas?

>> One of our favourites was to add sundried tomato and herbs. I tried
>> onions in various form but dried was the only type that worked for me.

> Thanks for the tip. I use dried onions in bread all the time (takes
> about a teaspoon in my standard loaf), but I didn't know if cooked
> onions would work. I think maybe I'll go in a different direction. Hmm.
> Nuts and honey?
>
> Serene

I made a loaf today with half a cup of crumbled feta cheese and half a
cup of sliced black olives, also added a tablespoon of olive oil. It was
a hit at our midday celebration of Father's Day. This was for a
one-pound loaf, increase those ingredients if you're making a larger loaf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

J. Silverton intoned:

> *I can't think of any driver who would totally refuse to speak to a
> passenger, even if a highly technical conversation might be distracting.

You never navigated the Garden State toll gates on a rainy, busy late
afternoon with a friend of mine. She loudly announced "I want total
quiet now". I was so glad she was doing the drivng, I was happy to
comply. I had agreed to drive with her to Boston from south Jersey
ONLY if she would take the wheel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
>
>> We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their
>> phone, let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if
>> a server walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and
>> offered to take your order?
>>

> Go ahead and order the food. Then call him every 3 minutes asking
> where your food is.

Congrats, you are the laugh-of-the-day winner!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:25:49 -0700, "The Ranger"
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>We've all seen those customers that just can't seem to put down their phone,
>let alone turn it off, while dining out. What would you do if a server
>walked up to your table talking on his or her cell phone and offered to take
>your order?

What don't you understand about the difference between being a
customer who *pays* for a service and an employee who is *paid* for
providing that service?

Having worked just about every job in the trade - except chef - if a
waiter or waitress (**** that political correct "server" crap) in any
restaurant I owned or managed pulled that kind of stunt, he or she
would be warned once never to repeat it and, should they do it again,
I'd fire them and give them a negative reference.

Restaurant staff are there to serve and treat each customer like an
honoured guest. That's the job they're being paid to do and do well.
It's also a job in which good wait staff can *earn* a decent living in
tips. Note the emphasis on EARN!

So unless the restaurant has a policy prohibiting the use of
cellphones, or you encounter a customer (or customers) who are
abusive, aggressive or touch you in an inappropriate manner, then
their use of a cellphone is none of your business, regardless of it
being bad manners.

BTW - there are times when I have access to a cellphone in a
restaurant because of certain circumstances. I've also been at a table
with doctors or other health professionals who needed to have their
cellphones handy.

But in one particular situation, my cellphone (which I'd turned off
when we were seated) came in handy.

We were seated at a table during a busy lunch time when the restaurant
was so busy that our table was obviously forgotten. After sitting
there for some time I turned on my phone and called the restaurant.

We could hear the phone ring and see the "host" hurry over to answer
it ... at which point I told the host where we were sitting (she
looks), how long we'd been sitting there without service (she looks
away embarrassed) and ask if she could arrange for someone - anyone -
to attend to our table (she turns, smiles and waves).

Within moments our table was looked after (many apologies), or order
taken and delivered and, despite our protests, our bill was written
off by the host.

Did we ever return to that restaurant. You bet. And the service was
always excellent.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:24:34 -0400, George >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Naw, we are turning into nanny states with feel good laws. The three
>neighboring states have "hands free" laws and ours is supposed to be
>next. But police can already cite you without any additional laws if
>they observe you weaving etc. Should we also have laws that we can't
>change the station on the radio or talk to a vehicle occupant too?

California went hands free last July and it's just ridiculous. The law
seems to be ignored more often than not, AFAICS. I've even seen cops
on their cell phones while driving. I have a new Audi that
incorporates my cell phone into the sound system and I'm more likely
to have a wreck trying to figure out which buttons to push on the
console than if I were using the cell itself. And that's just
*answering* a call. I'd be better off pulling over and parking to
actually make a call.

There's no social ill that can't be made worse by legislation, IMHO.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 18:10:29 +0000 (UTC), elaich > fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Kalmia > wrote in news:01b5211e-cc31-43ac-ae41-
:

>> I envy you. You have some legislators with b--ls.

>California has such a law. It's a joke - never enforced.

I beg to differ. My boss has been cited three times now and the fines
escalate.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

>> What do think of the totally hands-free Bluetooth phones? They can be
>> programmed to autodial simply by speaking a name.

> I've read research that says that we are as distracted by a completely
> hands-free call as we are by a hands-on cellphone call.

I have read that too.

> In one of the studies I read is correct, because the people in our car
> can see what's going on around us, they stop talking/distracting when
> something dangerous is going on, and we feel less compelled to talk to
> them or explain what's going on -- in other words, we are less likely to
> let them distract us, because we don't have this knee-jerk "I'm on the
> phone so I shouldn't just hang up and drive" reaction to passengers in
> the car.

Some people can't even manage to walk and talk on the cell phone. I
confess to not being good in crowds. I was walking around in a big city
today and encountered dozens of people so intent on yakking on their
cell phones that they were a hazard to other pedestrians. I was
reminded of an incident in a mall last year where I saw a young woman
had walked on a course perpendicular to mine, cell phone glued to her
ear. She went behind a car on display. I lost sight of her. Next thing I
knew she came barrelling back the other way and crashed into me. I
didn't have time to react and she bounced off me and her phone went
flying. Then she gave me the dirtiest look as if I had done something
wrong.