FoodBanter.com

-   -   Bottled water, is it better than tap water? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/85004-bottled-water-better-than.html)

Janet Bostwick 06-03-2006 06:48 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

Interesting article
http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Doug Kanter 06-03-2006 06:54 PM

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> Interesting article
> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Interesting article, especially the bit about NY City tap water, which
happens to be quite good. Sadly, most residents probably have no idea where
it comes from, because in NYC, it's illegal to sell maps which indicate that
there's anything North of Yonkers.

Nancy Young[_1_] 06-03-2006 07:11 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> Interesting article
> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.

nancy

D.Currie[_1_] 06-03-2006 08:38 PM

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
>> Interesting article
>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
> It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
> the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
> why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
> bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.
>
> nancy

I've lived in places where the water was terrible, and places where it was
fine. When I lived where the water was really terrible, I was also really
broke, so I learned to live with it most of the time. It was okay for coffee
and cooking, and if I had to, I could drink it. But when I went to visit
people in good-water places, I'd bring gallon bottles and bring home their
tap water. They thought I was a little crazy unless they'd actually tasted
my tap water.

Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
supply.

Donna

Andy[_2_] 06-03-2006 08:49 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in news:duhu0n$d7v$1
@news.monmouth.com:

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
>> Interesting article
>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
> It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
> the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
> why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
> bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.
>
> nancy

I remember in Los Angeles, in the Sunday L.A.Times there were two
sidebars listing the water and air contents in percentages for the past
week. Neither was ever exceptional to say the least.

Andy

Leila 06-03-2006 09:53 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
(Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
understand.

Leila

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-03-2006 10:20 PM

Leila wrote:

> I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
> (Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
> spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
> for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
> concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
> is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
> Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
> suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
> put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
> or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
> understand.

It's funny that people bitch and complain so much about the price of
gasoline these days and then they go out and spent a lot more that than by
volume on water. I confess to using bottled water when on vacation because
there seems to be something in water in some places that can cause a bit of
a reaction with my system and I would rather play it safe than spoil a
vacation. I have a distiller at home because I have a problem with my well
and cistern, but when I am in the local towns and cities I have no problem
drinking the municipal water. It's good. I realize it is not that good
everywhere. I have a friend in the interior of BC who pays next to nothing
for water, but the water is hardly pristine. You can see particles in it,
and it has an odd taste. I would be filtering or distilling it for drinking
if I lived there. Otherwise I would be drinking bottle water. If I were
drinking bottled water I would be buying it in 5 gallon jugs and
transferring it into smaller bottles. I am amazed at the people around here
who buy cases and cases of 12 oz. bottles of water.

Doug Kanter 06-03-2006 10:38 PM

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Leila wrote:
>
>> I've had the good luck to drink either New York City or East Bay
>> (Calif.) Municipal water for the last 25 years, and I'm totally
>> spoiled. The water in Santa Cruz, 90 minutes away from me, is terrible
>> for instance. San Diego water is worse - lukewarm and tastes of
>> concrete culverts. East Bay MUD water comes direct from the Sierras and
>> is among the best in the country (similar to San Francisco water).
>> Meanwhile the local "Dasani" brand water is bottled in Milpitas, a
>> suburb next to a freeway near San Jose - Dasani is Milpitas tap water
>> put through a filter. Why poeple would spend money on this stuff in SF
>> or the East Bay when the water out of the tap is better, I don't
>> understand.

> It's funny that people bitch and complain so much about the price of
> gasoline these days and then they go out and spent a lot more that than by
> volume on water. I confess to using bottled water when on vacation
> because
> there seems to be something in water in some places that can cause a bit
> of
> a reaction with my system and I would rather play it safe than spoil a
> vacation. I have a distiller at home because I have a problem with my well
> and cistern, but when I am in the local towns and cities I have no problem
> drinking the municipal water. It's good. I realize it is not that good
> everywhere. I have a friend in the interior of BC who pays next to nothing
> for water, but the water is hardly pristine. You can see particles in it,
> and it has an odd taste. I would be filtering or distilling it for
> drinking
> if I lived there. Otherwise I would be drinking bottle water. If I were
> drinking bottled water I would be buying it in 5 gallon jugs and
> transferring it into smaller bottles. I am amazed at the people around
> here
> who buy cases and cases of 12 oz. bottles of water.

Even dumber: A few months back, on the news, I heard a story about a company
that's trying to market bottled water for dogs. Apparently, it's selling
well. The reporter interviewed a veterinarian who reminded listeners that
dogs will happily drink out of toilet bowls and filthy puddles in the
street.

Jimbo[_2_] 06-03-2006 11:26 PM

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>
>>Interesting article
>>http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html
>>

> Interesting article, especially the bit about NY City tap water, which
> happens to be quite good. Sadly, most residents probably have no idea where
> it comes from, because in NYC, it's illegal to sell maps which indicate that
> there's anything North of Yonkers.

We travel a good bit now we're retired and have found such a big
difference in water from area to area. We now always carry bottled
water with us. Not that its any better, just that it provides a
consistency which permits our bodily functions to operate on a more even
keel. Perils of age.

notbob 06-03-2006 11:54 PM

On 2006-03-06, D.Currie > wrote:

> Interesting thing I read somewhere though -- people who are using bottled
> water exclusively and whose kids drink only bottled water are ending up with
> more cavities because they aren't getting the fluoride from the water
> supply.

Bingo! I know there are still thousands, perhaps millions, of folks
out there who still believe fluoride is a communist plot, or some such
nonsense and municipalities are still not fluoridating their water.

I've seen the results of fluoridated water first hand. I grew up
before widespread fluoridation and by time I was eight, every molar in
my mouth had been filled. When my daughter grew up in the 70s, our
water was fluoridated and she had no cavities till she was in her late
teens. Now, in another fluoride free town, my grandkids are getting
cavities left and right. My oldest, five, has just had five cavities
filled. It's criminal! Morons.

As for bottled water, yes there are some really bad municipal
supplies. Even the heralded well water is not beyond being bad. I
recall one location I lived, the well water was almost undrinkable.
Even Kool-Aid was no aid. The only thing that worked was leaving
a vessel in the fridge for about 48hrs. Then it was at least palatable.

These days, instead of buying much overpriced bottles water, I use
Brita. It works very well and is much more cost effective.

nb
..

Dave Smith[_1_] 07-03-2006 12:00 AM

notbob wrote:

> Bingo! I know there are still thousands, perhaps millions, of folks
> out there who still believe fluoride is a communist plot, or some such
> nonsense and municipalities are still not fluoridating their water.
>
> I've seen the results of fluoridated water first hand. I grew up
> before widespread fluoridation and by time I was eight, every molar in
> my mouth had been filled. When my daughter grew up in the 70s, our
> water was fluoridated and she had no cavities till she was in her late
> teens. Now, in another fluoride free town, my grandkids are getting
> cavities left and right. My oldest, five, has just had five cavities
> filled. It's criminal! Morons.

Our water was fluoridated when I was a kid. It didn't save me from a lot of
cavities but my younger brother and I both suffered from enamel cracking
problems. We have well water here, so no chlorine or fluorine, but he had
fluoride treatment at the dentist, and there is fluoride in toothpaste.

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 01:40 AM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote
>
>> Interesting article
>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
> It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
> the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
> why they have whole aisles in the stores dedicated to
> bottled water. I certainly purchased my share.
>
> nancy

Hi Nancy,
What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water is
considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding bacteria
checks etc., that municipal water does. In some cases the bottled water is
contaminated with chemicals and bacteria. Not exactly what you'd expect
when the bottle says glacier pure. So it's more than the fact that some of
the bottled water out there is strictly tap water in a bottle. I don't buy
bottled water as I have no need for it and I didn't know any of this stuff.
But I guess if there is a way to make money off a product you got to expect
something similar. :{
Janet

George[_1_] 07-03-2006 01:55 AM

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Interesting article
> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

The local joke in my area is the bottling plant that bottles for one
particular megamart uses water from a local reservoir that was taken out
of service because it is contaminated with various industrial solvents.
They run it thru a filtering process but if people only knew about the
"mountain spring water" they were buying.

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 02:05 AM

"George" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Interesting article
>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> The local joke in my area is the bottling plant that bottles for one
> particular megamart uses water from a local reservoir that was taken out
> of service because it is contaminated with various industrial solvents.
> They run it thru a filtering process but if people only knew about the
> "mountain spring water" they were buying.

That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.
Janet

Nancy Young[_1_] 07-03-2006 02:16 AM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote

> Hi Nancy,
> What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water
> is considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding
> bacteria checks etc., that municipal water does.

Oh, Janet, I'm sorry, I stepped all over your story without meaning
to.

> In some cases the bottled water is contaminated with chemicals and
> bacteria. Not exactly what you'd expect when the bottle says glacier
> pure. So it's more than the fact that some of the bottled water out there
> is strictly tap water in a bottle. I don't buy bottled water as I have no
> need for it and I didn't know any of this stuff. But I guess if there is a
> way to make money off a product you got to expect something similar. :{

Okay, now I've read far enough to find that water filtration comany/ies
are behind the article. Meaning I take it with a grain of salt, so to
speak. They're selling filters. Doesn't mean they are wrong, and I don't
even normally buy water, I was just flapping my gums about why people
might buy water.

Forgiven?

nancy

Gregory Morrow[_1_] 07-03-2006 02:17 AM

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "George" > wrote in message
> > Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >> Interesting article
> >> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> > The local joke in my area is the bottling plant that bottles for one
> > particular megamart uses water from a local reservoir that was taken out
> > of service because it is contaminated with various industrial solvents.
> > They run it thru a filtering process but if people only knew about the
> > "mountain spring water" they were buying.

> That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.

On the nooz tonight was featured a guy in Texas who is selling bottled rain
water, he calls it "Cloud Tears" or some such. He is making a small fortune
off the stuff apparently...

--
Best
Greg

notbob 07-03-2006 02:21 AM

On 2006-03-07, Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.
> Janet

A lot depends on state laws. CA recently passed laws requiring a
certain level of honesty in advertising. Water labeled drinking water
can be filtered tap water, but water labeled spring water must
actually come from a spring, though not necessarilly the exact same
spring named on the label. Here's another older bottled water website
with a lof of good info:

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/

nb

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 03:00 AM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

sip
> Forgiven?
>
> nancy

Oh, hey! I didn't take any offense at all. I just saw the original
article in the local newspaper and followed it to the source. I knew none
of this. When we go somewhere it's usually camping and we take a 5 gallon
jug of our own water.
Janet

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 03:03 AM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2006-03-07, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.
>> Janet

> A lot depends on state laws. CA recently passed laws requiring a
> certain level of honesty in advertising. Water labeled drinking water
> can be filtered tap water, but water labeled spring water must
> actually come from a spring, though not necessarilly the exact same
> spring named on the label. Here's another older bottled water website
> with a lof of good info:
>
> http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/
>
> nb

I needed to become a member to view the articles. I don't know if I want to
do that. Thanks for the link though.
Janet

Julia Altshuler 07-03-2006 03:18 AM

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Interesting article
> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

In my experience, the choice isn't between bottled water and tap water.
The choice is between bottled water and coke (or other soda) or
between bottled water and nothing. On the occasions when I've bought
bottled water, it is because it is convenient.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the municipal water is
excellent. I drink that water in the house, order it in restaurants,
and use it for ice and cooking. I try to remember to fill small bottles
with it to keep in the car, but that's where the convenience comes in.

In the winter, that water in the car freezes rendering it useless when I
want it to drink. In the summer, I wonder about the safety of water
that's been sitting at room temperature for weeks, possibly in a bottle
that I've drunk from directly in the past. I suppose I could fill
bottles fresh every time before I went out, but there's nothing
convenient about remembering that. Or I could attempt to sterilize
bottles before filling them, but ditto on the convenience issue.

So the reality is that I'm likely to be driving somewhere; it takes
longer than I expected. I'm either thirsty because winter air is so dry
or thirsty because summer air is so hot, or I want something to drink to
go with picnic food, and being able to buy a bottle of water that I do
want is better than buying a soda that I don't want. Granted it is
expensive for water, and I resent my choices. In a perfect world,
people would offer water to thirsty travelers for free, but until then,
getting a bottle of water from a vending machine is a reasonable solution.

None of that excuses the water marketers for representing their product
as something that it's not. I'd be fine if they offered it as a
healthier alternative to soda or said how convenient it is. I don't
like them telling me that it is somehow more pure.

Having said all that, I was on a driving trip recently and noticed a
range in tastes in the water I got in restaurants. I'm guessing that it
was all safe enough to drink, but some of it tasted of chlorine. If I
lived in those areas, I'd be checking into tastier alternatives.

--Lia

Mark Thorson 07-03-2006 03:37 AM

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> In my experience, the choice isn't between bottled water and tap
> water. The choice is between bottled water and coke (or other
> soda) or between bottled water and nothing. On the occasions
> when I've bought bottled water, it is because it is convenient.

In my experience, I can't imagine buying bottled water
when for $1.99 you can get a standard-size bottle of
Charles Krug wine at TJ's. Why can't TJ's bottle water
for that price?

Doug Kanter 07-03-2006 04:36 AM

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Jimbo" > wrote in message
> et...
>> Doug Kanter wrote:

>>> Interesting article, especially the bit about NY City tap water, which
>>> happens to be quite good. Sadly, most residents probably have no idea
>>> where it comes from, because in NYC, it's illegal to sell maps which
>>> indicate that there's anything North of Yonkers.

>> We travel a good bit now we're retired and have found such a big
>> difference in water from area to area. We now always carry bottled water
>> with us. Not that its any better, just that it provides a consistency
>> which permits our bodily functions to operate on a more even keel.
>> Perils of age.

> I agree, there is nothing more upsetting to my stomach than a change of
> water. This has always has been so in my case. Some people are less
> susceptible to certain intakes that occur in others, and also some just
> aren't aware of the connection of food/water/medication intake to their
> feelings of well-being and good health, no matter what their age.
> I, too, always carry the same water that I drink at home when I travel.

Unless the water you switch to is contaminated with bacteria, it makes no
sense for your body to react in odd ways. I'd like to see your theory tested
in a scientifically rigorous way.

George[_1_] 07-03-2006 01:44 PM

notbob wrote:
> On 2006-03-07, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>

>>That's pretty much what the article indicates. I was really surprised.
>>Janet

> A lot depends on state laws. CA recently passed laws requiring a
> certain level of honesty in advertising. Water labeled drinking water
> can be filtered tap water, but water labeled spring water must
> actually come from a spring, though not necessarilly the exact same
> spring named on the label. Here's another older bottled water website
> with a lof of good info:
>
> http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/
>
> nb

The local bottler would be in compliance with those labeling
requirements because even though their water source is polluted it is
still a spring fed resevoir.

Siobhan Perricone 07-03-2006 01:52 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 03:36:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter" >
wrote:

>Unless the water you switch to is contaminated with bacteria, it makes no
>sense for your body to react in odd ways. I'd like to see your theory tested
>in a scientifically rigorous way.

"Traveler's Syndrome" is not just a story. It's plenty documented and
tested. When you travel further from your home, you get exposed to
bacteria and spoors that are different from those in your local area. The
most common outcome of this is digestive upset. No water from anywhere is
completely sterile or devoid of local bacteria unless you're drinking
distilled water. This is completely normal and not something to be
paranoid about.

But when you go to a place that's unfamiliar with strange bacteria your
body might react badly to it until it adjusts. It doesn't happen to
everyone, and it can impact people to differing degrees. So bringing
bottled water that your body is adjusted to isn't completely unreasonable.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family,

Siobhan Perricone 07-03-2006 01:54 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:38:03 -0700, "D.Currie"
> wrote:

>> Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
>> It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
>> the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
>>

>I've lived in places where the water was terrible, and places where it was
>fine.

It's important to differentiate between water that doesn't taste very good,
and water that is actually *bad*, meaning you shouldn't be drinking it.
It's not unusual for the water to be fine from a health standpoint, but to
have an unpleasant taste. That's how it is in Montpelier (Vermont). I'm
not very fond of the water in Waterbury either, but my well water here at
home is just fine to me. :)

Siobhan Perricone 07-03-2006 01:56 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:40:16 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" >
wrote:

>What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water is
>considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding bacteria
>checks etc., that municipal water does.

Most bottled water *is* municipal water. Most people just don't know that.

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 02:02 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Leila" > wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
> For car trips I am going to get a big old thermos the way we used to
> have - a gallon, with a spigot on the bottom. This requires having some
> kind of cup in the car; I bring along the kids' plastic drinking cups.
> But do they make these drink thingies anymore?
>
> Leila

Oh, yes. You can have them in your choice of colors and sizes and very
cheaply. They will show up in the stores at the beginning of the summer
season. Good hunting ;o}
Janet

Doug Kanter 07-03-2006 02:21 PM

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 03:36:59 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
> >
> wrote:
>
>>Unless the water you switch to is contaminated with bacteria, it makes no
>>sense for your body to react in odd ways. I'd like to see your theory
>>tested
>>in a scientifically rigorous way.

> "Traveler's Syndrome" is not just a story. It's plenty documented and
> tested. When you travel further from your home, you get exposed to
> bacteria and spoors that are different from those in your local area. The
> most common outcome of this is digestive upset. No water from anywhere is
> completely sterile or devoid of local bacteria unless you're drinking
> distilled water. This is completely normal and not something to be
> paranoid about.
>
> But when you go to a place that's unfamiliar with strange bacteria your
> body might react badly to it until it adjusts. It doesn't happen to
> everyone, and it can impact people to differing degrees. So bringing
> bottled water that your body is adjusted to isn't completely unreasonable.

How much bottled water can you bring? That's got to limit the length of your
travel, unless you don't drink enough water. And, since no water is sterile
(except distilled), bottled water would have the same problems, right? (I
haven't noticed if some brands are pasteurized).

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 02:43 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:40:16 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" >
> wrote:
>
>>What I found interesting about the article was that because bottled water
>>is
>>considered 'food' it does not have the same strict rules regarding
>>bacteria
>>checks etc., that municipal water does.

> Most bottled water *is* municipal water. Most people just don't know
> that.
>
> --
> Siobhan Perricone

Yes, I know, that's some of what the article has to say.
Janet

Janet Bostwick 07-03-2006 02:46 PM

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
> "Janet Bostwick" > hitched up their panties and posted
> :
>

>> "Leila" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>

>> snip
>>> For car trips I am going to get a big old thermos the way we used to
>>> have - a gallon, with a spigot on the bottom. This requires having some
>>> kind of cup in the car; I bring along the kids' plastic drinking cups.
>>> But do they make these drink thingies anymore?
>>>
>>> Leila
>>>

>> Oh, yes. You can have them in your choice of colors and sizes and very
>> cheaply. They will show up in the stores at the beginning of the summer
>> season. Good hunting ;o}
>> Janet

> Is Leila talking about those sippy cups? I see them at DollarTree all the
> time for a buck. They've got the little spout like thing on the top.
>
> Michael

No. She's talking about 1/2, 1 and 5 gallon jugs. The lid does have a
pouring device that is reminiscent of a sippy cup spout. I don't think they
do the spigot on the bottom thing anymore because it was just too dirty to
have the pouring spigot sitting near the floor.
Janet

Doug Kanter 07-03-2006 02:57 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Leila" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> > Interesting article
>> > http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

>> In my experience, the choice isn't between bottled water and tap water.
>> The choice is between bottled water and coke (or other soda) or
>> between bottled water and nothing. On the occasions when I've bought
>> bottled water, it is because it is convenient.
>>

>> I'm lucky enough to live in an area where the municipal water is
>> excellent. I drink that water in the house, order it in restaurants,
>> and use it for ice and cooking. I try to remember to fill small bottles
>> with it to keep in the car, but that's where the convenience comes in.
>>

>> In the winter, that water in the car freezes rendering it useless when I
>> want it to drink. In the summer, I wonder about the safety of water
>> that's been sitting at room temperature for weeks, possibly in a bottle
>> that I've drunk from directly in the past. I suppose I could fill
>> bottles fresh every time before I went out, but there's nothing
>> convenient about remembering that. Or I could attempt to sterilize
>> bottles before filling them, but ditto on the convenience issue.
>>

> I end up buying water on the run occasionally for just that reason.
>
> For car trips I am going to get a big old thermos the way we used to
> have - a gallon, with a spigot on the bottom. This requires having some
> kind of cup in the car; I bring along the kids' plastic drinking cups.
> But do they make these drink thingies anymore?
>
> Leila

Rubbermaid makes nice water bottles with fold-up spouts. Two kinds,
actually. The sticker on one says "Don't freeze these bottles". Get the
other kind. Freeze them half-full of water the night before, and fill when
you're ready to go. Stick them in a little ice chest - the kind that's no
larger than a 12 pack of beer. Voila. No trying to pour in the car, and
everyone gets their own bottles. While frozen, they'll keep other snacks
cold.

D.Currie[_1_] 07-03-2006 06:03 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Siobhan Perricone" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:38:03 -0700, "D.Currie"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Without even reading the article, I can say the answer is
>>> It depends. I'd forgotten just how horrid the water is in
>>> the places I've visited in Florida. I understand completely
>>>

>>I've lived in places where the water was terrible, and places where it was
>>fine.

> It's important to differentiate between water that doesn't taste very
> good,
> and water that is actually *bad*, meaning you shouldn't be drinking it.
> It's not unusual for the water to be fine from a health standpoint, but to
> have an unpleasant taste. That's how it is in Montpelier (Vermont). I'm
> not very fond of the water in Waterbury either, but my well water here at
> home is just fine to me. :)

In my case, I meant terrible in the sense that anyone who tasted it thought
it had a foul taste. I could tolerate it if I had to take a pill or
something, but I never got used to just drinking a glass of it -- it just
had a really off flavor. I've been to plenty of places where the water has
some sort of different flavor, but this was the only place where I thought
it was so bad that it was undrinkable. And it wasn't just me, everyone I
knew thought it tasted bad. This wasn't just a matter of not being yummy, it
was a matter of the water tasting seriously bad.

As far as how healthy it was, I have no idea. It probably was fine. But if
you can't stand the taste to a point where you're not drinking enough,
that's not particularly healthy.

If I had a lot of money at the time, I probably would have had bottled water
delivered or something. But I was broke, so I carried around gallon bottles
and filled them from taps at places where the water was better. Worked fine
for me.

Gregory Morrow[_1_] 08-03-2006 04:30 AM

jmcquown wrote:

> I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

Wow, no *water fountains* at Moline "International"!? I thought they prided
themselves on being "world - class" up there...

--
Best
Greg

Janet Bostwick 08-03-2006 05:16 AM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
snip
I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

snip
> Jill

You probably should have been looking for "bubblers." That's the term used
in some areas of the mid-west for water fountain/drinking fountain.;o}
Janet

jmcquown 08-03-2006 12:08 PM

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> snip
> I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
>> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

> snip
>> Jill
>>

> You probably should have been looking for "bubblers." That's the term
> used in some areas of the mid-west for water fountain/drinking
> fountain.;o} Janet

I'd recognize one if I saw one, regardless of what you call them :)

Jill

Siobhan Perricone 08-03-2006 12:38 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 13:21:43 GMT, "Doug Kanter" >
wrote:

>> bottled water that your body is adjusted to isn't completely unreasonable.

>How much bottled water can you bring? That's got to limit the length of your

I didn't say it was practical or easy, just that in the context of avoiding
tummy upset it wasn't unreasonable. :)

jmcquown 08-03-2006 02:10 PM

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
>> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

> Wow, no *water fountains* at Moline "International"!? I thought they
> prided themselves on being "world - class" up there...

None that I could see, Greg... only vending machines. So I have the "Quad
Cities" water bottle that I refill and carry with me LOL

Jill

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 08-03-2006 02:35 PM

jmcquown wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
> >> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

> > Wow, no *water fountains* at Moline "International"!? I thought they
> > prided themselves on being "world - class" up there...

> None that I could see, Greg... only vending machines. So I have the "Quad
> Cities" water bottle that I refill and carry with me LOL

When I was a kid we used to drop by that airport to eat at the resto in
the old (actually built in 1954) terminal that was torn down 20 or so
years ago to make way for the present new "shed"...back in those days
it was considered a "glamorous" thing to do to visit the airport to
view the United DC - 6's (and later Ozark DC - 9's, etc.) thundering in
and out. IIRC the chef back then had been hired away from a local
country club and the food was quite good, it ranged from coffee shop
fare to fancy Sunday after - church dinner grub. They had a newstand
that carried relatively exotic magazines and the very latest in fancy -
schmancy drinking fountains with CHILLED water...and the place was air
- conditioned too, a rarity then.

Moline was on the old United Airlines "Mainline" route that stretched
from the East Coast to California, you could fly in a big DC - 6 all
the way out to San Francisco or back to the Big Eastern City of New
York...Cleveland, Des Moines, and Denver were other stops on this early
transcontinental route.

Now it's a few commuter puddle jumpers to here and there, not much
else.

How times have changed :-(

PS: Did you know that the first railroad bridge to span the Mississippi
River was at Rock Island in 1856?

Alcoa Aluminum's plant in Bettendorf IA made (and still may make) wings
for the first 747's...it was the only aluminum mill in the world at
that time that had big enough rolling machines to make the aluminum
wing skins...

Some "Quad Cities Trivia" for you :-)

--
Best
Greg

Doug Kanter 08-03-2006 03:48 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Interesting article
>> http://www.allabou****er.org/bottled-water.html

> Tapwater, as others have mentioned, does vary from place to place. But
> since I live in an area where tapwater tastes really good, I never waste
> my
> money on bottled water. I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine
> up in Illinois because they had no water fountains at the airport.

I want to know who trains the evil people who adjust water fountains
(especially in schools) so the water's so low that you have to get your lips
1/16 of an inch from the metal. Those people should have their penises stuck
in a food processor.

Nancy Young[_1_] 08-03-2006 03:54 PM

Bottled water, is it better than tap water?

"Doug Kanter" > wrote

> I want to know who trains the evil people who adjust water fountains
> (especially in schools) so the water's so low that you have to get your
> lips 1/16 of an inch from the metal. Those people should have their
> penises stuck in a food processor.

Agreed. And who are these people who put other stuff down
that drain, the whole sink area gets disgusting because there isn't
enough water used to keep it clean. Yuck.

I have to be pretty darned thirsty to drink water from a fountain.
Even if the water is high enough to drink without your lips touching
the spout, some people do anyway? At the airport I bought Snapple
iced tea. Nice bottle with a lid.

nancy