Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese Spaetzle

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> I'm planning on making Spaetzle this weekend. I'm really in the mood for
> it. I found this recipe on Recipezaar.com. I've called my fave store and
> they can get me Appenzeller cheese. I do not have a spaetzle maker. If
> this is good, I might invest in a spaetzle maker. It's a metric recipe. I
> have yet to convert it. I like it though. Any suggestions appreciated. I
> copied this directly from the website.

We used to make spaetzle by putting the dough on a plate and cutting off
pieces about 1/2-inch long and 1/4-inch wide and scraping them into a
pot of boiling water with a table knife. We tried that colander thing,
but the holes in all of ours are too small for it to work. We used a box
grater once (the side with the big holes) but it was a hassle. They're
done when they float. We always gave them an extra minute or so.

Appenzeller is a Swiss cheese with smaller holes than the sorts we're
most accustomed to. It's washed with fruit juices or wine while curing,
so the standard descriptions say that it has a fruity taste. I never
noticed it. Tasted pretty much like the "regular" Emmenthaler to me.

Now we're uptown and very cool because we bought a spaetzle maker. We've
used it about four times. Made them many more times before when we were
primitive. Maybe this weekend with the pork roast. Perfect.

Pastorio

> Vorarlberg Cheese Spaetzle (Drop Noodles) Recipe #148589
> I lived in western Austria for a good long while. This is a traditional
> dish that really needs to be made with the local cheeses. In this country
> I've found Appenzeller (a firm alpine cheese) at Murray's in New York --
> and they have a mail order service. Use a spaetzle maker if you can locate
> one. It looks like an oblong piece of metal with holes the size of peas,
> with an attached funnel to hold the batter that slides back and forth to
> force the batter through. If not, you can force the batter through through
> any colander with larger holes, or simply use a spoon to push small chunks
> (no bigger than a piece of elbow macaroni) into the boiling water. The
> crisply fried onions are crucial to flavor and texture. Serve with a green
> or cucumber salad. Note the measurements are metric.

> 400 g all-purpose flour

3 1/2 cups flour

> 4 eggs
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 liter whole milk

generous cup

> 250 g cheese, grated (preferably Appenzeller)

1/2 pound cheese

> 70 g butter

1/2 stick butter

> 1 large onion, cut into very thin slices
> pepper

Cheese Spaetzle Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 2 17-02-2006 04:14 AM
Cheese Spaetzle Andy General Cooking 4 16-02-2006 02:39 PM
Spaetzle Recipes (moderated) 0 03-08-2005 04:58 AM
Spaetzle maker bumblebee4451 Cooking Equipment 5 03-05-2005 01:28 AM
Spaetzle International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 06-02-2005 05:36 PM