Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Refreezing food

Did a stupid thing yesterday. Went shopping and one of my purchases was one of
those frozen skillet meals that comes in a foil bag. I forgot to put it in the
freezer and when I realized it a few hours later, it seemed to have thawed. I
put it back in the freezer rather than throw it out. Would it be dangerous to
try and cook it now? It's a chicken parmagian with ziti dish. The chicken is
already cooked. All I'm doing its heating it up and melting the cheese and
sauce. I don't want to waste the $5 if I don't have to, but I don't want to get
food poisoning either. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

> wrote in message
> Did a stupid thing yesterday. Went shopping and one of my purchases was
> one of
> those frozen skillet meals that comes in a foil bag. I forgot to put it in
> the
> freezer and when I realized it a few hours later, it seemed to have
> thawed. I
> put it back in the freezer rather than throw it out. Would it be dangerous
> try and cook it now? It's a chicken parmagian with ziti dish. The chicken
> is
> already cooked. All I'm doing its heating it up and melting the cheese and
> sauce. I don't want to waste the $5 if I don't have to, but I don't want
> to get
> food poisoning either. Thanks.

There's a cliche, "When in doubt, leave it out." I would expand on this
phrase to "When in doubt, throw it out."

You could have (but that time has passed) POSSIBLY upon your determination
at that time whether it was too late, cooked it then and had it the next
day.

No amount of savings is worth taking the chance of getting sick over.
My opinion, only, not worth probably even 2 cents, but that's the way I will
do it if DH isn't looking over my shoulder.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Satnam

Yes it would be dangerous to eat it now - best through it away.

Refreezing meat Terry[_1_] General Cooking 29 04-08-2007 07:40 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
refreezing meat Chris Preserving 3 21-05-2006 02:51 AM
Question: Refreezing Jay General Cooking 2 09-01-2005 05:03 AM
Question: Refreezing Jay General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 02:31 AM