Old 01-08-2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Refreezing meat

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Old 01-08-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry wrote:
I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
going to need.

Jill

Old 01-08-2007, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 01:22:08 GMT, Steve Wertz
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.

It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
people.

-sw

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

If you respond to those who have been killfiled, it defeats the purpose of
the killfile.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zippy P" wrote in message
. net...
You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

If you respond to those who have been killfiled, it defeats the purpose of
the killfile.

What? You expect everyone to not respond to those in your killfile?

So, how does it feel to have the earth revolving around you?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry" wrote in message
I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

i would say no, b/c the slices you plan to refreeze will be slightly thawed
at least. the answer the nasty man gave makes sense (up unto the point he
becomes nasty)

chris

Old 01-08-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

Terry wrote:
I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
going to need.

Jill

Seconded.

Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
dry and kinda spongy.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.

It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
people.

-sw

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
though.

Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:07:47 -0500, Omelet

"jmcquown" wrote:

Terry wrote:
I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into "sandwich
size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
going to need.

Jill

Seconded.

Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
dry and kinda spongy.

I will give the spacers a try.
Thanks everyone

Old 01-08-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:

Terry wrote:
I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Not unsafe but the texture will degrade. Separate the slices into
"sandwich
size" and then freeze them. That way you don't defrost more than you're
going to need.

Jill

Seconded.

Wax paper is good for separating meat slices.
Safety is not an issue re-freezing the meat, but the texture will
seriously suffer after defrosting more than a couple of times. It gets
dry and kinda spongy.

I will give the spacers a try.
Thanks everyone

Cheers. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

Maybe not unsafe, but expect loss of quality. Deli slices are "supposed
to be" eaten within a day or so. It's no bargain if you wind up
throwing it out.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:08:26 -0500, Omelet

wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.

It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
people.

-sw

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.

His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
though.

Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

but it's so seldom well-executed.

your pal,
blake
Old 02-08-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.

It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
people.

-sw

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.
His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
though.

Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

but it's so seldom well-executed.

your pal,
blake

It takes having a decent vocabulary.

Or a Thesaurus.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:08:15 -0400, Terry wrote:

I put sliced deli ham in the freezer because I am not always in the
mood for ham.

Is it unsafe to defrost in water (in sandwich bags), then refreeze the
unused slices?

No. But why not just freeze them in plastic wrap in individual
portions, then put all the individual portions inside a ziplock?
That way you only have to thaw one portion at a time.

It's not rocket science, but apparently something are for some
people.

You sound like a sad, angry, little man.
His suggestion is a very good one. Wish he could have said it nicer
though.

Rudeness is an art form it seems. ;-)

but it's so seldom well-executed.

It takes having a decent vocabulary.

Or a Thesaurus.

A thesaurus is like a gun, you gotta know how to use it.

These people who say you can refreeze meat are
like the people who go swimming after eating.
They will be the first to die.
Probably after going blind from reading
in dim light. :-)

Refreezing meat question Michael O'Connor General Cooking 13 04-08-2007 10:03 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
refreezing meat Chris Preserving 3 21-05-2006 02:51 AM
Refreezing food [email protected] General Cooking 3 09-01-2006 05:01 AM
Question: Refreezing Jay General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 02:31 AM