Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default refreezing meat

I know it shouldn't be done, but if I've thawed ground beef and cooked
it, can it THEN be safely refrozen?

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Chris wrote:
> I know it shouldn't be done, but if I've thawed ground beef and cooked
> it, can it THEN be safely refrozen?

Yes! In fact you can refreeze raw meat but only if you are sure it has been
treated hygenically and also it still has ice crystals in it.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 20 May 2006 11:38:38 -0700, Chris wrote:
>
>> I know it shouldn't be done, but if I've thawed ground beef and
>> cooked it, can it THEN be safely refrozen?

> Actually, the USDA says it's perfectly safe to refreeze meat and
> poultry (as long as it wasn't bad, of course). And yopu know how
> conservative those folks at the USDA are...

It is true) The big problem is that if you leave it too long the quality
suffers.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Ophelia wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On 20 May 2006 11:38:38 -0700, Chris wrote:
> >
> >> I know it shouldn't be done, but if I've thawed ground beef and
> >> cooked it, can it THEN be safely refrozen?

> > Actually, the USDA says it's perfectly safe to refreeze meat and
> > poultry (as long as it wasn't bad, of course). And yopu know how
> > conservative those folks at the USDA are...
> >

> It is true) The big problem is that if you leave it too long the quality
> suffers.

My butcher told me that the usual problem is that folks leave meat out in the
air, then expect to refreeze: bad news healthwise. But to refreeze something
that has been in the fridge is okay. Long as it hasn't been *too* long.
Edrena

Refreezing meat question Michael O'Connor General Cooking 13 04-08-2007 10:03 PM
Refreezing meat Terry[_1_] General Cooking 29 04-08-2007 07:40 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
Refreezing food [email protected] General Cooking 3 09-01-2006 05:01 AM
Question: Refreezing Jay General Cooking 0 09-01-2005 02:31 AM