Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Cold from the can?

When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

Canned cream soups
Spinach
Cut green beans
Asparagus spears
Baby corns
Black Olives
Green Olives
Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I really
like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick microwaveable soup
containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes to make a phone call at
the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Canned beef ravoili. It's better that way than it is heated up.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

Err, absolutely nothing but then I don't buy commercially canned
anything and would have no hankering to eat anything othewise straight
from the can. Sorry

> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr Libido Incognito

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Beer is the only thing I'll consume cold from the can...Wait! I forgot
all about Soft Drinks....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I really
> like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick microwaveable soup
> containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes to make a phone call at
> the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.
>
> Jill

Plastic containers? :-)

I've not looked for those.

Since I don't watch television any more, I don't see some of the "new
and improved" items on the market.

It's been a bit over 3 years since I quit watching anything but news and
weather on the boob tube, and I listen to the radio more.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Canned beef ravoili. It's better that way than it is heated up.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Hm. I've not eaten canned pastas in ages. ;-)
It's that whole low carb thing tho' is the reason.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:45:50 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> >of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

> Those canned Chef Boyardee or HEB raviolis. I think I've warmed
> maybe 1 out of the last 10 cans (in 4 years).
>
> Chunky(tm) Sirloin Burger and Campbell's Homestyle(tm) Wedding
> soups.
>
> -sw

Chunky Sirloin Burger???
Not seen that one.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Beer is the only thing I'll consume cold from the can...Wait! I forgot
> all about Soft Drinks....

<lol> I said EAT not drink! ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

I have a fondness for canned chick peas, right out of the can, same
with lupini beans. Black/green olives. Of course, tuna. Pineapple slices.
Diced tomatoes with basil type of thing, that I pour over pasta I
cooked, if that counts. I'd consider those canned potatoes.

NO cold soup out of the can.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

I love this group. It is always interesting seeing what people like to
eat, or in this case, are willing to eat.

> Canned cream soups

I'd rather eat cold cream.

> Spinach

It doesn't matter whether it is cold or not, canned spinach will never
pass my lips.

> Cut green beans

Works OK for me.

> Asparagus spears

I've never tried it. I'm sure I would like it, but this stuff costs
money. If I'm going to buy it, I'll get the fresh and cook it.

> Baby corns

Good idea.

> Black Olives

Heaven on earth. That's a whole meal right there.

> Green Olives

Good, but not a meal. If you have a fridge at work, you might consider
one of those little packages of salami or pepperoni. They keep forever.
Crackers keep forever also. Now, *that's* a meal!

> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.

And don't forget the beets, especially pickled beets.

> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Not my favorite, but it works. I was in college, and met a young lady.
I went to her house. She lived with her parents. I'm invited to
dinner. Sounds good to me. We're in the kitchen, and mom is making
dinner. She has this huge baking sheet, and it has a ton of chicken
pieces on it. We never ate chicken when I was a kid. Dad doesn't like
it. I don't like it. Oh well. A few minutes later, the power goes
out. It is an electric stove, so no chicken that night. What a relief!
Mom opens up a canned ham and some baked beans. It was great.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what
>>> types of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>>>
>>> Canned cream soups
>>> Spinach
>>> Cut green beans
>>> Asparagus spears
>>> Baby corns
>>> Black Olives
>>> Green Olives
>>> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>>>
>>> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

>> I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I
>> really like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick
>> microwaveable soup containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes
>> to make a phone call at the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Plastic containers? :-)

I don't think they are plastic... some sort of morphed microwavable metal
"cans"

> I've not looked for those.
>
> Since I don't watch television any more, I don't see some of the "new
> and improved" items on the market.
>
> It's been a bit over 3 years since I quit watching anything but news
> and weather on the boob tube, and I listen to the radio more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups

Doesn't get more trailer trash disgusting.... that wallpaper paste is
bad enough reconstituted and heated, but raw, you gotta be kidding.

> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

I'll eat the black olives as a snack... the rest, blech!

> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Canned cold beans are fine if drained and tossed with a salad dressing.

I like canned beets.
I like canned creamed corn.

And naturally any kind of canned fish is a treat... tiny sardines,
kipper snacks, smoked oysters, etc... nice with some saltines but not
really necessary.

And cold Spam .... excellent when you have a mess of those Chinese
take-out condiments... hot mustard and duck sauce go well with Hormel
fillet mignon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 15 Dec 2005 07:45:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
OmManiPadmeOmelet?

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Bush's Baked Beans
whole kernal corn
sliced beets
3-bean salad
cut green beans
black or green ripe olives
sauerkraut
bean sprouts

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!
> --
> Om.

I do like kidney beans on a salad. I imagine you could pour a little salad
dressing on some of those items to make them tastier. What about fruits? I
love pineapple right out of the can.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

pickles (jar, not a can, but same idea)
spinach
olives
horseradish by the spoonful
all the other canned stuff that I buy is for cooking-only

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Nancy Young wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>

>>When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
>>of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>>
>>Canned cream soups
>>Spinach
>>Cut green beans
>>Asparagus spears
>>Baby corns
>>Black Olives
>>Green Olives
>>Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>>
>>Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> I have a fondness for canned chick peas, right out of the can, same
> with lupini beans. Black/green olives. Of course, tuna.

I only eat it out of the can if it's packed in oil.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>

>>When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
>>of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

> I love this group. It is always interesting seeing what people like to
> eat, or in this case, are willing to eat.
>

>>Canned cream soups

> I'd rather eat cold cream.
>

>>Spinach

> It doesn't matter whether it is cold or not, canned spinach will never
> pass my lips.
>

>>Cut green beans

> Works OK for me.
>

>>Asparagus spears

> I've never tried it. I'm sure I would like it, but this stuff costs
> money. If I'm going to buy it, I'll get the fresh and cook it.
>

>>Baby corns

> Good idea.
>

>>Black Olives

> Heaven on earth. That's a whole meal right there.
>

>>Green Olives

> Good, but not a meal. If you have a fridge at work, you might consider
> one of those little packages of salami or pepperoni. They keep forever.
> Crackers keep forever also. Now, *that's* a meal!
>

>>Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

> Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
> use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
> are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.
>
> And don't forget the beets, especially pickled beets.

oh yeah! my mom buys these baby pickled eggplant that i used to eat out
of the can

>>Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Not my favorite, but it works. I was in college, and met a young lady.
> I went to her house. She lived with her parents. I'm invited to
> dinner. Sounds good to me. We're in the kitchen, and mom is making
> dinner. She has this huge baking sheet, and it has a ton of chicken
> pieces on it. We never ate chicken when I was a kid. Dad doesn't like
> it. I don't like it. Oh well. A few minutes later, the power goes
> out. It is an electric stove, so no chicken that night. What a relief!
> Mom opens up a canned ham and some baked beans. It was great.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

This thread is flat-out repellent! Gaa!!!

As Patches mentioned earlier, commercially canned foods aren't a happenin'
thing [for me]. I will, however, make an exception for any type of canned
fish; I agree with Sheldon on that point. And as I child, I used to adore
cold canned corned beef on saltines with hot mustard; I seriously doubt I'd
like it these days.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
>> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>> >
>> > Canned cream soups
>> > Spinach
>> > Cut green beans
>> > Asparagus spears
>> > Baby corns
>> > Black Olives
>> > Green Olives
>> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

I can only eat out of the can:
Dark Red Kidney Beans
Very good quality Tuna or Salmon
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:45:50 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

Peaches
Pears
Baby peas with the silver label
Tuna (with salt and pepper)

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

I just can't wrap mind around cold cream soup.

But I like:
English Peas
Hominy
Red kidney beans
niblet corn - especially, Mexicalli corn
Durkee French fried onions
If I were very, very hungry, I could eat beets (boo, hiss)
....Just about any canned veggie that I would toss on a green salad.

One of my favorite, but not canned, foods is raw red potatoes. Sliced in
thin rounds with the peel or unpeeled and cut in quarters.

Give me a little salt and I'm good to go.

Are we having a picnic?

Elaine,too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Cold canned soup & spinach??? SHUDDER!!

Green & Yellow beans, cut, whole or French styled? Bring 'em on.

Canned Asparagus? Is there any way to eat those but cold? I'd rather have
fresh, but since that's only rarely possible around here, I keep a few cans
of spears for when I get a hankering. Then it's the entire can, cold.

Baby corns? stir fries only

Black olives? I'll eat black olives till they come out my ears (I'm built
funny). Side note: When I go to Subway I watch the 2 or 3 people ahead of
me to see what they're ordering on their subs then I tell the person making
mine "Heavy on the black olives. Those last 3 people didn't take any, put
their share on my sandwich, please." Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't. My favorite counter guy used to add the mustard first then use it
to hold the load of olives he'd put on. Ultimately, I paid for those olives
with the extra tip he got.

Chick peas, just rinsed then sprinkled with a bit of Italian dressing. Yum!

Canned tomatoes with lots of freshly cracked pepper.

Gabby

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Canned beef ravoili. It's better that way than it is heated up.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I do that, too! Not that I buy it very often, but if I do, I figure, why
put it into a bowl? It's just another dish to wash and the only dishwasher
in this house is ME!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin'

In article >,
OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

Stewed tomatoes. They rarely make it to a dish.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jim

Spam Baby, Spam.
jim
OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
>
> Canned cream soups
> Spinach
> Cut green beans
> Asparagus spears
> Baby corns
> Black Olives
> Green Olives
> Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
>
> Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 19:49:26 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

> > Asparagus spears

> I've never tried it. I'm sure I would like it, but this stuff costs
> money.

For the love of all that is holy, don't buy that stuff, and if you do,
open the can, dump contents into the garbage disposal and puree.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:50:33 -0600, "jmcquown"
> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >
> >> I can't eat canned creamed soup cold, sorry. That's one reason I
> >> really like those Campbell's Soup at Hand and other quick
> >> microwaveable soup containers. 3 minutes... about the time it takes
> >> to make a phone call at the office. Voila... sip or spoon up lunch.

> > Plastic containers? :-)
> >

> I don't think they are plastic... some sort of morphed microwavable metal
> "cans"

I bought some tiny Dinty Moore stew containers when I was trying to
coerce Crash into eating after his first surger. They were sorta
styrofoam with a metal edge on top. The metal edge is covered by a
plastic cover with vent holes. BTW, this crap was terrible.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On 16 Dec 2005 05:03:13 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> black or green ripe olives
> sauerkraut

I forgot those. Yes!

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 04:58:51 GMT, sarah bennett
> wrote:

> oh yeah! my mom buys these baby pickled eggplant that i used to eat out
> of the can

Sareah, can you adjust your newsreader so it doesn't make three lines
between lines of text? It really uses up a lot of space. Not
complaining just making a friendly request.

Thanks,
Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:24:34 -0600, Steve Wertz wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:17:25 -0600, zxcvbob >
>wrote:
>
>>Canned beef ravoili. It's better that way than it is heated up.

>Great minds eat alike :-)
>
>-sw

Please tell me that you don't mean Chef Boarded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> I have a fondness for canned chick peas, right out of the can, same
> with lupini beans. Black/green olives. Of course, tuna. Pineapple slices.
> Diced tomatoes with basil type of thing, that I pour over pasta I
> cooked, if that counts. I'd consider those canned potatoes.
>
> NO cold soup out of the can.
>
> nancy

Well, canned fruits are kind of a given. ;-)
Yes I know you can cook with them, but I think most folks just eat
canned fruit cold?

Tuna I will use cold but _never_ by itself. It's got to at least have
crackers and mayo with it. I can't eat it straight. Wish I could!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:28:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Chunky Sirloin Burger???
> >Not seen that one.

> That's one of the first soups they made in the Chunky line. Tiny
> little hamburgers with grill marks on them.
> http://www.chunky.com/products.aspx?categoryID=4#
>
> HEB/HCF now makes an identical product. See the "review" at:
> http://www.network54.com/Forum/18141...9127762/Why+I+
> Love+my+brother
>
> -sw

I'll have to check that out. ;-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?

> I love this group. It is always interesting seeing what people like to
> eat, or in this case, are willing to eat.

<lol>
Sometimes I'm hungry to the point of being nearly ill, but just too
darned swamped to take a break!

> > Canned cream soups

> I'd rather eat cold cream.

Whipped? ;-)

> > Spinach

> It doesn't matter whether it is cold or not, canned spinach will never
> pass my lips.

I prefer fresh steamed or raw baby spinach, but I actually enjoy it
canned. Might just be due to it holding a lot of memories. It's also
handy for quiche's, frittatas and souffle'.

> > Cut green beans

> Works OK for me.
>

> > Asparagus spears

> I've never tried it. I'm sure I would like it, but this stuff costs
> money. If I'm going to buy it, I'll get the fresh and cook it.

It's actually not all that great.
Not sure why, but to me canned asparagus nearly always has a "scorched"
flavor.

> > Baby corns

> Good idea.
>

> > Black Olives

> Heaven on earth. That's a whole meal right there.

I agree. ;-)
I can snarf a whole can and eat nothing else!

> > Green Olives

> Good, but not a meal. If you have a fridge at work, you might consider
> one of those little packages of salami or pepperoni. They keep forever.
> Crackers keep forever also. Now, *that's* a meal!

I actually keep canned sardines in my locker for emergencies.

> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

> Whatever works for you. We don't eat stewed tomatoes. There is just no
> use for these things. A couple of times I've gotten desperate and there
> are some in the pantry. Dump in bowl and eat. Not bad.

I use stewed tomatoes more for red sauce than anything else.

> And don't forget the beets, especially pickled beets.

<shiver>
I prefer the beet GREENS. Thanks. ;-)

> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Not my favorite, but it works. I was in college, and met a young lady.
> I went to her house. She lived with her parents. I'm invited to
> dinner. Sounds good to me. We're in the kitchen, and mom is making
> dinner. She has this huge baking sheet, and it has a ton of chicken
> pieces on it. We never ate chicken when I was a kid. Dad doesn't like
> it. I don't like it. Oh well. A few minutes later, the power goes
> out. It is an electric stove, so no chicken that night. What a relief!
> Mom opens up a canned ham and some baked beans. It was great.

Hee! :-)
I guess baked beans would be ok at room temp.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups

> Doesn't get more trailer trash disgusting.... that wallpaper paste is
> bad enough reconstituted and heated, but raw, you gotta be kidding.
>
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

> I'll eat the black olives as a snack... the rest, blech!
>
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Canned cold beans are fine if drained and tossed with a salad dressing.

Now that's not a bad idea.

> I like canned beets.
> I like canned creamed corn.

Cold???

> And naturally any kind of canned fish is a treat... tiny sardines,
> kipper snacks, smoked oysters, etc... nice with some saltines but not
> really necessary.

I'll eat baby smoked canned clams straight out of a can with a toothpick.
Love 'em!

> And cold Spam .... excellent when you have a mess of those Chinese
> take-out condiments... hot mustard and duck sauce go well with Hormel
> fillet mignon.

Gods.
I used to like spam many years ago but now I can't stand it.
Been eating low sodium for too long!

When I get canned veggies, I get the "no salt added" variety.

Might be why the canned spinach tastes so good. ;-)

--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups

> Doesn't get more trailer trash disgusting.... that wallpaper paste is
> bad enough reconstituted and heated, but raw, you gotta be kidding.

<smooch>

> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.

> I'll eat the black olives as a snack... the rest, blech!

The baby corn is really not that bad, and commonly found cold on salad
bars.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 15 Dec 2005 07:45:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> OmManiPadmeOmelet?
>
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> Bush's Baked Beans
> whole kernal corn
> sliced beets
> 3-bean salad
> cut green beans
> black or green ripe olives
> sauerkraut
> bean sprouts

Ooh I'd forgotten about 'kraut! :-)
It's good cold also.

I have a helluva time finding canned bean sprouts.
Wish I could! The fresh ones don't keep long. At all!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article et>,
"King's Crown" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> >
> > Canned cream soups
> > Spinach
> > Cut green beans
> > Asparagus spears
> > Baby corns
> > Black Olives
> > Green Olives
> > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> >
> > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> I do like kidney beans on a salad. I imagine you could pour a little salad
> dressing on some of those items to make them tastier. What about fruits? I
> love pineapple right out of the can.
>
> Lynne

Canned fruits served cold are kind of a given imho. ;-)
I love them too. Pineapple and peaches especially.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Spitzmaus" > wrote:

> > > When rushed and hungry, (generally at work when it's busy), what types
> > > of foods can or do you eat right out of the can, cold?
> > >
> > > Canned cream soups
> > > Spinach
> > > Cut green beans
> > > Asparagus spears
> > > Baby corns
> > > Black Olives
> > > Green Olives
> > > Any other canned veggie depending on my mood.
> > >
> > > Canned beans are out tho'. Those have GOT to be warmed up!

> This thread is flat-out repellent! Gaa!!!
>
> As Patches mentioned earlier, commercially canned foods aren't a happenin'
> thing [for me]. I will, however, make an exception for any type of canned
> fish; I agree with Sheldon on that point. And as I child, I used to adore
> cold canned corned beef on saltines with hot mustard; I seriously doubt I'd
> like it these days.
>
> Spitz

So what do you take to work for emergency cold meals? :-)
--
Om.