Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

Default Stop trying for "healthy" foods

Here's a report that seems to say that we should not focus on eating
specific foods that have been reported as "healthy" and instead focusing on
balance, variety, and moderation. Good news (but not news to many of us).

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Here's a report that seems to say that we should not focus on eating
> specific foods that have been reported as "healthy" and instead focusing on
> balance, variety, and moderation. Good news (but not news to many of us).
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.....ap/index.html

I agree.

Conversely, we shouldn't try to ban, tax, regulate, shame, or
otherwise coerce people (and food suppliers) regarding the
"unhealthy" foods du jour. It won't make people any healthier
the result will be less freedom of choice, and probably other
bad side effects.

I can't help but think this trend is on the rise right now,
particularly in the US.

I agree with a basic premise of the report. Most people would
do well to simply eat less of everything while maintaining
variety. There's too much demonization of individual foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> Here's a report that seems to say that we should not focus on eating
> specific foods that have been reported as "healthy" and instead focusing on
> balance, variety, and moderation. Good news (but not news to many of us).
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet....nfusion.ap/ind
> ex.html

That's hilarious. ;-)

IMHO the healthy way to eat IS to eat a variety...

of freshly prepared rather than processed and pre-prepared foods.

Makes like more interesting too.

Split peas with fresh pork hock and bacon today, flavored simply with
pressed garlic, grated fresh ginger root and ground black pepper.

I've not served split peas literally in years.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > Here's a report that seems to say that we should not focus on eating
> > specific foods that have been reported as "healthy" and instead focusing on
> > balance, variety, and moderation. Good news (but not news to many of us).
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet....confusion.ap/i
> > ndex.html

> I agree.
>
> Conversely, we shouldn't try to ban, tax, regulate, shame, or
> otherwise coerce people (and food suppliers) regarding the
> "unhealthy" foods du jour. It won't make people any healthier
> the result will be less freedom of choice, and probably other
> bad side effects.
>
> I can't help but think this trend is on the rise right now,
> particularly in the US.
>
> I agree with a basic premise of the report. Most people would
> do well to simply eat less of everything while maintaining
> variety. There's too much demonization of individual foods.

IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a regular
part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(

That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
especially hard on the teeth!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Peter Aitken wrote:

> Here's a report that seems to say that we should not focus on eating
> specific foods that have been reported as "healthy" and instead focusing on
> balance, variety, and moderation. Good news (but not news to many of us).

My late father in law had a diet that would drive nutritionists to drink, a lot of salt,
cheese, red meat, martinis for dinner. He died peacefully in his sleep when he was almost
95. His motto was :
Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a regular
> part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
>
> That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
> especially hard on the teeth!

It's amazing how much of that stuff some people drink. When I go shopping I see
people getting several cases of it. I sometimes buy it thinking that I must be
almost out because I don't remember having bought any in a long time. Then I end up
having several cases of it. I have a can every 2 or 3 weeks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a regular
> > part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
> >
> > That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
> > especially hard on the teeth!

> It's amazing how much of that stuff some people drink. When I go shopping I
> see
> people getting several cases of it. I sometimes buy it thinking that I must
> be
> almost out because I don't remember having bought any in a long time. Then I
> end up
> having several cases of it. I have a can every 2 or 3 weeks.

It is amazing isn't it?
I drink more water than anything else...

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a regular
> part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
>
> That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
> especially hard on the teeth!
> --

Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar and as
little nutrition.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>>

>> IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a
>> regular part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
>>
>> That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
>> especially hard on the teeth!
>> --

> Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar
> and as little nutrition.

Yeah, like the commercials for Sunny Delight (orange "drink") Ever read the
label on a bottle of that stuff? Or those juice boxes, which are nothing
more than a marketing ploy to sell artificially flavoured juices made with
high fructose corn syrup, in a *box* with a straw. Big whup.

You know you're getting old when you start using the phrase "when I was a
kid..." but it's true. Mom gave us 100% orange juice. If we wanted orange
juice with our lunch, it was put in a thermos in our lunch box. I usually
took a thermos of milk instead because I don't care for orange juice unless
it has a healthy shot of vodka in it And no, I'm not calling that an
"orange martini"

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" > said:
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> >> IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a
> >> regular part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
> >>
> >> That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
> >> especially hard on the teeth!

> > Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar
> > and as little nutrition.

> Yeah, like the commercials for Sunny Delight (orange "drink") Ever read the
> label on a bottle of that stuff? Or those juice boxes, which are nothing
> more than a marketing ploy to sell artificially flavoured juices made with
> high fructose corn syrup, in a *box* with a straw. Big whup.

Yup -- better to eat fruit than drink juice, because you get the fiber
and pulp as well. We rarely offered Buddy (DS) juice when he was little,
because it's nothing but glorified soda. Now that he's 8 and makes more
of his own decisions, he'd rather have a glass of water...

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

The war against variety can come from all directions. There are the
people so into health food that they demonize meat, cane sugar and all
sorts of vegetables and fruits that they deem in one moment and out the
next. (I've seen prohibitions against citrus and nightshades for
supposed health reasons.) On the other hand, the folks who believe in
variety can sometimes not really favor variety at all.

Look at the guy who was here looking for cookie recipes that don't use
sugar. I might have been the only regular here who had experience
baking with maple syrup, rice syrup (also called yinnie syrup), fruit
concentrates, molasses, or barley malt. Most of us use cane sugar and
and possibly honey, but that's it. There's tons of variety and flavor
from all sorts of sweeteners, but we miss it because we're used to cane
sugar.

The same goes for flours. You can get rice flour, millet flour, barley
flour and a bunch of others at the health food store, but most of us
only ever bake with wheat flour (bread, cake, pastry and whole wheat)
and possibly oatmeal. If we were really into variety, wouldn't we know
all about baking breads and cakes with all of them?

I know I'm terrible about cooking with a variety of fats. I use butter
and a few sorts of oils but know almost nothing about the flavors and
properties of duck fat or bacon fat or beef suet.

I'm probably better than the average cook about getting a good variety
of vegetables and fruits, but I still probably only get a fraction of
what's out there.

Cheese! Where has it been all my life? In the past year I've started
appreciating the varieties in cheese that comes from different breeds of
cattle, sheep, goats and buffalo. Before my current job, I stuck to
cheddar, havarti, swiss, and mozzarella.

Eggs. I know only about large chicken eggs, nothing about duck or any
of the other domestic birds out there.

I know so little about the varieties of meats that I can hardly talk
about what I don't know. I don't just stick to the same animals, I
stick to the same cuts of meats.

I like to say that I get a varied diet, and I'm sure I do better than
most, but when I really think about variety, it isn't very varied.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
William Wagner

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> The war against variety can come from all directions. There are the
> people so into health food that they demonize meat, cane sugar and all
> sorts of vegetables and fruits that they deem in one moment and out the
> next. (I've seen prohibitions against citrus and nightshades for
> supposed health reasons.) On the other hand, the folks who believe in
> variety can sometimes not really favor variety at all.
>

> Cheese! Where has it been all my life? In the past year I've started
> appreciating the varieties in cheese that comes from different breeds of
> cattle, sheep, goats and buffalo. Before my current job, I stuck to
> cheddar, havarti, swiss, and mozzarella.

> --Lia

I've been ordering cheese from these folks. Two years ago they would
not take Visa and preferred to enclose a bill.

Leraysville Cheese Factory
rr#2 Box 71a
LeRaysville, Pa 18829

Ph 570-744-2554
Or 1-800-859-5196

Baby Swiss 1.9 lb $ 14.65
Plain Cheddar Curds 1 lb $ 6.15
Casteloes 1.2 lb $9.50
XX Sharp Cheddar 1 lb $6.90

There is more of course.

We are hooked )

Bill

--
Garden Shade Zone 5 S Jersey USA in a Japanese Jungle Manner.39.6376 -75.0208
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> >

> > IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a regular
> > part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
> >
> > That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
> > especially hard on the teeth!
> > --

> Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar and as
> little nutrition.

While I won't argue with that, Pop is probably one of the single most
widely used/abused substances, and a lot of it is ingested by young
children.

I can't help but feel that that stuff goes a LONG way in contributing to
childhood obesity.

There is about 1/4 cup of suger PER CAN and it's not unusual for people
to drink at least one 6 pack (or more) per day!

People need to learn to drink more water, PLAIN water.

I have a 32 oz. water glass next to my computer and a large cup at work
that gets filled with ice water. I probably drink close to 1 gallon per
day...
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> IMHO the only food that really needs to be demonized, IF it is a
>>> regular part of your diet, is soda pop. :-(
>>>
>>> That stuff causes more health problems if used daily, and it's
>>> especially hard on the teeth!
>>> --

>> Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar
>> and as little nutrition.

> People need to learn to drink more water, PLAIN water.

I drink water all day long. I'd watch people bring in six-packs of soda and
several bought teeny 6-pack size fridges for their desks so they could keep
it cold. (If you put it in the big fridge in the breakroom people would
steal it!) Water is good for you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> >> Why single out pop? Most fruit juices ae just as bad, as much sugar
> >> and as little nutrition.

> > People need to learn to drink more water, PLAIN water.
> >

> I drink water all day long. I'd watch people bring in six-packs of soda and
> several bought teeny 6-pack size fridges for their desks so they could keep
> it cold. (If you put it in the big fridge in the breakroom people would
> steal it!) Water is good for you.
>
> Jill

Indeed! :-)
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

Julia, I did not snip your post because it is that good and, more
importantly, true.

jim

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 12:05:42 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>The war against variety can come from all directions. There are the
>people so into health food that they demonize meat, cane sugar and all
>sorts of vegetables and fruits that they deem in one moment and out the
>next. (I've seen prohibitions against citrus and nightshades for
>supposed health reasons.) On the other hand, the folks who believe in
>variety can sometimes not really favor variety at all.
>

>Look at the guy who was here looking for cookie recipes that don't use
>sugar. I might have been the only regular here who had experience
>baking with maple syrup, rice syrup (also called yinnie syrup), fruit
>concentrates, molasses, or barley malt. Most of us use cane sugar and
>and possibly honey, but that's it. There's tons of variety and flavor
>from all sorts of sweeteners, but we miss it because we're used to cane
>sugar.
>

>The same goes for flours. You can get rice flour, millet flour, barley
>flour and a bunch of others at the health food store, but most of us
>only ever bake with wheat flour (bread, cake, pastry and whole wheat)
>and possibly oatmeal. If we were really into variety, wouldn't we know
>all about baking breads and cakes with all of them?
>

>I know I'm terrible about cooking with a variety of fats. I use butter
>and a few sorts of oils but know almost nothing about the flavors and
>properties of duck fat or bacon fat or beef suet.
>

>I'm probably better than the average cook about getting a good variety
>of vegetables and fruits, but I still probably only get a fraction of
>what's out there.
>

>Cheese! Where has it been all my life? In the past year I've started
>appreciating the varieties in cheese that comes from different breeds of
>cattle, sheep, goats and buffalo. Before my current job, I stuck to
>cheddar, havarti, swiss, and mozzarella.
>

>Eggs. I know only about large chicken eggs, nothing about duck or any
>of the other domestic birds out there.
>

>I know so little about the varieties of meats that I can hardly talk
>about what I don't know. I don't just stick to the same animals, I
>stick to the same cuts of meats.
>

>I like to say that I get a varied diet, and I'm sure I do better than
>most, but when I really think about variety, it isn't very varied.
>

>--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> The war against variety can come from all directions. There are the
> people so into health food that they demonize meat, cane sugar and all
> sorts of vegetables and fruits that they deem in one moment and out the
> next. (I've seen prohibitions against citrus and nightshades for
> supposed health reasons.) On the other hand, the folks who believe in
> variety can sometimes not really favor variety at all.
>

> Look at the guy who was here looking for cookie recipes that don't use
> sugar. I might have been the only regular here who had experience
> baking with maple syrup, rice syrup (also called yinnie syrup), fruit
> concentrates, molasses, or barley malt. Most of us use cane sugar and
> and possibly honey, but that's it. There's tons of variety and flavor
> from all sorts of sweeteners, but we miss it because we're used to cane
> sugar.
>

> The same goes for flours. You can get rice flour, millet flour, barley
> flour and a bunch of others at the health food store, but most of us
> only ever bake with wheat flour (bread, cake, pastry and whole wheat)
> and possibly oatmeal. If we were really into variety, wouldn't we know
> all about baking breads and cakes with all of them?
>

> I know I'm terrible about cooking with a variety of fats. I use butter
> and a few sorts of oils but know almost nothing about the flavors and
> properties of duck fat or bacon fat or beef suet.
>

> I'm probably better than the average cook about getting a good variety
> of vegetables and fruits, but I still probably only get a fraction of
> what's out there.
>

> Cheese! Where has it been all my life? In the past year I've started
> appreciating the varieties in cheese that comes from different breeds of
> cattle, sheep, goats and buffalo. Before my current job, I stuck to
> cheddar, havarti, swiss, and mozzarella.
>

> Eggs. I know only about large chicken eggs, nothing about duck or any
> of the other domestic birds out there.
>

> I know so little about the varieties of meats that I can hardly talk
> about what I don't know. I don't just stick to the same animals, I
> stick to the same cuts of meats.
>

> I like to say that I get a varied diet, and I'm sure I do better than
> most, but when I really think about variety, it isn't very varied.
>

> --Lia

I tend to agree with you on many points. I avoid white sugar, white
flour, and salt so that in itself has forced me to find alternatives. I
also avoid processed and pre-prepared foods which again forces me to
find alternatives. I also have a large garden to grow some of the
things I just couldn't buy in stores here that adds more to the variety.
If you look at our diets as in the foods I serve to my family it is
really quite varied compared to many diets.

If I'm looking for fats, I generally go to butter, different types of
olive oil, different vegetable oils, nut oils, shortening, and
occasionally bacon fat. Sweeteners and flours are easier as are cheeses
and we do use a wide variety of those. We really only use chicken eggs
so in that sense we are limited. If you look at meats we range from
beef, chicken, pork, poultry and wild games. And we do love our fish in
just about any variety you can get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

ensenadajim wrote:
> Julia, I did not snip your post because it is that good and, more
> importantly, true.

Aw, that's so sweet. Thank-you. I wonder if we're all up for a
challenge. Usually when people venture into a health food store to try
a new ingredient, it is because they're trying to avoid another. For
example, someone who, for health reasons, can't eat wheat might start
experimenting with rice or millet flour. But what about learning about
the flavors and properties of other flours for the sole purpose of
trying something new? Would anyone be up for an exercise in which, each
week, we choose a seldom used but readily available ingredient like
barley malt or rice flour and try new recipes using it? Each week
sounds like a lot of homework. Maybe every 2 weeks or each month. The
vantage point wouldn't be dietary, just flavor, and variety instead.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

William Wagner wrote:

> I've been ordering cheese from these folks. Two years ago they would
> not take Visa and preferred to enclose a bill.
>
> Leraysville Cheese Factory
> rr#2 Box 71a
> LeRaysville, Pa 18829
>
> Ph 570-744-2554
> Or 1-800-859-5196
>
> Baby Swiss 1.9 lb $ 14.65
> Plain Cheddar Curds 1 lb $ 6.15
> Casteloes 1.2 lb $9.50
> XX Sharp Cheddar 1 lb $6.90
>
> There is more of course.
>
> We are hooked )

I don't know where my boss orders his cheese from, but he's able to get
a fantastic variety. Recent favorites include Hillman Farm Harvest
Goat, Point Reyes Blue, Manchego, Roomano-Prado, Mascarpone Torte with
Basil and Sun Dried Tomatoes.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> ensenadajim wrote:
> > Julia, I did not snip your post because it is that good and, more
> > importantly, true.

> Aw, that's so sweet. Thank-you. I wonder if we're all up for a
> challenge. Usually when people venture into a health food store to try
> a new ingredient, it is because they're trying to avoid another. For
> example, someone who, for health reasons, can't eat wheat might start
> experimenting with rice or millet flour. But what about learning about
> the flavors and properties of other flours for the sole purpose of
> trying something new? Would anyone be up for an exercise in which, each
> week, we choose a seldom used but readily available ingredient like
> barley malt or rice flour and try new recipes using it? Each week
> sounds like a lot of homework. Maybe every 2 weeks or each month. The
> vantage point wouldn't be dietary, just flavor, and variety instead.
>

> --Lia

Actually, I do that at the Oriental market. ;-)
I go there about once per month or so, and have sworn to try something
new each time...

even if the label is in chinese. <G>

I'm enjoying a larger variety of stuff now as a result, and also have
discovered a rather nasty allergy to woodear mushrooms!
--
Om.