Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve & Chris Clark

Default cookie recipe with NO sugar

Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
no white no icing no brown sugar
but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?

thanks very kindly in advance
Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> no white no icing no brown sugar
> but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
>
> thanks very kindly in advance
> Chris

Google "sugar free cookie" and you'll get lots of recipes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> no white no icing no brown sugar
> but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
>
> thanks very kindly in advance
> Chris

Are you doing this for health reasons? Honey, maple syrup, and molasses
ARE sugar.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> no white no icing no brown sugar
> but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
>
> thanks very kindly in advance
> Chris

I started making these cookies back in my health food days and still
make them now. The recipe is adapted from _Natural Foods Cookbook:
Vegetarian Dairy-Free Cuisine_ by Mary Estella, ISBN: 0-87040-583-7. I
have no idea if the book is still available. --Lia

Combine is food processor fitted with the steel blade: 1 cup almonds
(or walnuts, or pecans), 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Process until everything is nicely chopped up, not quite as fine as
flour but not quite crunchy either.

Then add: 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup maple syrup (or barley malt, or
mollasses, or honey, or yinnie syrup, but the flavor of maple syrup
really is the best). Process again until everything is nicely combined.

Oil a cookie sheet. Pick up walnut sized balls of dough, roll them into
a ball, and place them on the cookie sheet. The dough is sticky so it
helps if you keep a bowl of water convenient to dip your hands into.
Then, with your thumb, make an indentation into each.

Fill each indentation with all fruit preserves. Polaner is one brand
that makes fruit conserve sweetened only with fruit. They make a bunch
of flavors: raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, etc. You can also make
your own fillings from raisins or other dried fruits, but that's the
subject of another post.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until browned a little around the
edges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve & Chris Clark

Thanks so far guys!
It's not for health reasons......a friend just refuses refined sugars.

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
news
> Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> > Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> > no white no icing no brown sugar
> > but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
> >
> > thanks very kindly in advance
> > Chris

> I started making these cookies back in my health food days and still
> make them now. The recipe is adapted from _Natural Foods Cookbook:
> Vegetarian Dairy-Free Cuisine_ by Mary Estella, ISBN: 0-87040-583-7. I
> have no idea if the book is still available. --Lia
>

> Combine is food processor fitted with the steel blade: 1 cup almonds
> (or walnuts, or pecans), 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour.
> Process until everything is nicely chopped up, not quite as fine as
> flour but not quite crunchy either.
>

> Then add: 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup maple syrup (or barley malt, or
> mollasses, or honey, or yinnie syrup, but the flavor of maple syrup
> really is the best). Process again until everything is nicely combined.
>

> Oil a cookie sheet. Pick up walnut sized balls of dough, roll them into
> a ball, and place them on the cookie sheet. The dough is sticky so it
> helps if you keep a bowl of water convenient to dip your hands into.
> Then, with your thumb, make an indentation into each.
>

> Fill each indentation with all fruit preserves. Polaner is one brand
> that makes fruit conserve sweetened only with fruit. They make a bunch
> of flavors: raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, etc. You can also make
> your own fillings from raisins or other dried fruits, but that's the
> subject of another post.
>

> Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until browned a little around the
> edges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
PastaLover

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Thanks so far guys!
> It's not for health reasons......a friend just refuses refined sugars.

Sugar is sugar.

The real reason to use any of these other sweetners is their unique
tastes. As far as being "bad" and having "empty calories", they are
really no better than plain old white cane/beet sugar. But they each
have a more complex taste, and sometimes texture than regular sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sum12stupid4u

My ex boyfriend used to be obsessed with buying random stuff at health
food stores. One time, he picked up this white powder. It's not sugar,
and it's not very high in calories and such... but it was insanely
sweet. Somewhere to the degree of 100x sweeter than sugar. I used to
use it to sweeten stuff. It wasn't half bad. I can't recall the name of
it, but I'm sure if you go to a health food store where they sell
natural spices/sweeteners, they could probably tell you what it is and
might even carry it. I'll do some more looking around, and let you know
if I find the name of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sum12stupid4u

*Agave Nectar & Barley Malt Syrup... I'm not sure how much sugar they
really are, or their contents.

The powder I was talking about, though, is Stevia... It comes in
powder, liquid, & tablets.

http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/
http://www.seedman.com/stevrecp.htm
Here are a few good sites with recipes using stevia.

*Shan*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Puester wrote:

> Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> > Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> > no white no icing no brown sugar
> > but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
> >
> > thanks very kindly in advance
> > Chris
> >

> Are you doing this for health reasons? Honey, maple syrup, and molasses
> ARE sugar.
>

> gloria p

Indeed! Fruit and fruit juices are also high in sugar content (Fructose),
as are milk products (Lactose). Sucrose (from plants like sugar cane and
beets) is just another form.

Try Splenda for baking.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

sum12stupid4u wrote:
> My ex boyfriend used to be obsessed with buying random stuff at health
> food stores. One time, he picked up this white powder. It's not sugar,
> and it's not very high in calories and such... but it was insanely
> sweet. Somewhere to the degree of 100x sweeter than sugar. I used to
> use it to sweeten stuff. It wasn't half bad. I can't recall the name of
> it, but I'm sure if you go to a health food store where they sell
> natural spices/sweeteners, they could probably tell you what it is and
> might even carry it. I'll do some more looking around, and let you know
> if I find the name of it.

Could it be stevia?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve & Chris Clark

Thanks guys
I personally know the suggestions here myself and couldn't agree more but I
can't convince my friends sister who is visiting her for the holidays.
She wants to have a couple cookies on hand for her fanatic sister.

"PastaLover" > wrote in message
> Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> > Thanks so far guys!
> > It's not for health reasons......a friend just refuses refined sugars.
> >

> Sugar is sugar.
>
> The real reason to use any of these other sweetners is their unique
> tastes. As far as being "bad" and having "empty calories", they are
> really no better than plain old white cane/beet sugar. But they each
> have a more complex taste, and sometimes texture than regular sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve & Chris Clark

It probably is stevia.

"jake" > wrote in message
. nl...
> sum12stupid4u wrote:
> > My ex boyfriend used to be obsessed with buying random stuff at health
> > food stores. One time, he picked up this white powder. It's not sugar,
> > and it's not very high in calories and such... but it was insanely
> > sweet. Somewhere to the degree of 100x sweeter than sugar. I used to
> > use it to sweeten stuff. It wasn't half bad. I can't recall the name of
> > it, but I'm sure if you go to a health food store where they sell
> > natural spices/sweeteners, they could probably tell you what it is and
> > might even carry it. I'll do some more looking around, and let you know
> > if I find the name of it.
> >

> Could it be stevia?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve & Chris Clark

I'll definitely google.
Thanks for this.

> Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> > Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> > no white no icing no brown sugar
> > but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
> >
> > thanks very kindly in advance
> > Chris
> >

> Google "sugar free cookie" and you'll get lots of recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sum12stupid4u

It was... I posted a second time with that information and a few sites
with Stevia recipes. =)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jake

sum12stupid4u wrote:

> It was... I posted a second time with that information and a few sites
> with Stevia recipes. =)

I'm glad you have found some options.