Phil

Default Req: Good Sugar Cookie Recipe

I'm looking for a good sugar cookie recipe that works well for small cookie
cutters... Any help would be appreicated...

Phil
Mable Fable

Hi Phil, this is for a soft SUGAR COOKIE, not crispy.

1 C butter- softened
1 1/2 C powder sugar
1 tsp. baking soda - dissolved in water(2T)
2 Tbsp. water (above w/soda)
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 C flour

Cream first 7 ing., add flour slowly, not to stiff, workable, more flour
will be added as you roll out. Chill well, overnight if fine. Roll out
on floured surface 1/8 thick, too thick won't look like shape of cookie
cutter, add more flour if sticky, too much flour will make them taste
pasty. Bake at 350 for 8 - 10 mins., (light brown on bottom) on greased
cookie sheets.

I use these for x-mas cookies, & other holidays. I usually frost with
powder sugar & milk frosting, add food color to frosting & sprinkles on
top, cool well before frosting, can also use canned frosting. Works good
to freeze, layer with wax paper, except if cream cheese or butter in
frosting (separates). Makes big batch, like 2 - 3 ice cream buckets
(freezer), I do this with kids (to decorate) at x-mas & give away, its
an all day project. I start with half dough, leave rest in fridg., until
I get a system going, it rolls best cold. For me it works best to roll &
finish baking, before I start decorating, or I start burning cookies.
Have fun, Mable