Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Default cookie recipe with NO sugar

Steve & Chris Clark wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for a cookie with NO sugar,
> no white no icing no brown sugar
> but rather only using fruit pureed, honey, pure maple syrup or molasses?
>
> thanks very kindly in advance
> Chris

I started making these cookies back in my health food days and still
make them now. The recipe is adapted from _Natural Foods Cookbook:
Vegetarian Dairy-Free Cuisine_ by Mary Estella, ISBN: 0-87040-583-7. I
have no idea if the book is still available. --Lia

Combine is food processor fitted with the steel blade: 1 cup almonds
(or walnuts, or pecans), 1 cup rolled oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Process until everything is nicely chopped up, not quite as fine as
flour but not quite crunchy either.

Then add: 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup maple syrup (or barley malt, or
mollasses, or honey, or yinnie syrup, but the flavor of maple syrup
really is the best). Process again until everything is nicely combined.

Oil a cookie sheet. Pick up walnut sized balls of dough, roll them into
a ball, and place them on the cookie sheet. The dough is sticky so it
helps if you keep a bowl of water convenient to dip your hands into.
Then, with your thumb, make an indentation into each.

Fill each indentation with all fruit preserves. Polaner is one brand
that makes fruit conserve sweetened only with fruit. They make a bunch
of flavors: raspberry, blueberry, strawberry, etc. You can also make
your own fillings from raisins or other dried fruits, but that's the
subject of another post.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until browned a little around the
edges.