Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Default Split Pea Soup Stone Removal Technique?

I always put portions of split peas on a paper plate and shake it to get
the small stones to roll out of the split peas but that's a pain.

I'll have to find a sifter with a course mesh so at worse, a few split
peas fall through.

Any other ideas?

It is after all split pea soup season and I got Damsel's spicy split pea
soup recipe ready to rock!

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> I always put portions of split peas on a paper plate and shake it to get
> the small stones to roll out of the split peas but that's a pain.
>
> I'll have to find a sifter with a course mesh so at worse, a few split
> peas fall through.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> It is after all split pea soup season and I got Damsel's spicy split pea
> soup recipe ready to rock!
>
> --
> Andy
> http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

How funny, Andy! I'm getting ready to make my ham stock to make pea soup
now. I'm making mine just average plain pea soup, yellow and green peas,
ham, carrots, celery, onion, just about pureed to smooth. I like mine
thick. I've never tried Dams' version, but pepperoni sounds like a good
addition; I just never have it on hand!

Dams, does the pepperoni make the soup a tad more greasy, do you think? I'm
curious now.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 17:51:32 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
> > I always put portions of split peas on a paper plate and shake it to get
> > the small stones to roll out of the split peas but that's a pain.
> >
> > I'll have to find a sifter with a course mesh so at worse, a few split
> > peas fall through.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > It is after all split pea soup season and I got Damsel's spicy split pea
> > soup recipe ready to rock!
> >
> > Andy

> How funny, Andy! I'm getting ready to make my ham stock to make pea soup
> now. I'm making mine just average plain pea soup, yellow and green peas,
> ham, carrots, celery, onion, just about pureed to smooth. I like mine
> thick. I've never tried Dams' version, but pepperoni sounds like a good
> addition; I just never have it on hand!
>
> Dams, does the pepperoni make the soup a tad more greasy, do you think? I'm
> curious now.

Yeah, I'm sure it does, but it doesn't taste or feel greasy. More
like spicy. I originally called this "Chunky Split Pea Soup," because
I use fairly good-sized pieces of carrots, and I don't puree the end
product. I like to see peas in my pea soup. You can skip the bacon,
too. It's supposed to be a garnish, and it never lasts that long
around here!

If you have the spices available, it's not too late to add them to
your current batch, if you'd like to try it that way.

Here's the recipe, for anyone who missed it:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spicy Split Pea Soup

Recipe By amsel
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : beans-legumes soups-chowders

1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound pepperoni -- 1/2" cubes
5 medium carrots -- sliced 1/4" thick
1 medium onion -- chopped fine
1 clove garlic -- smashed and chopped
16 ounces split peas
5 cups water
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf

Add pepperoni to the drippings, frying until browned; remove to large
saucepan. Add onions and garlic to the drippings. Saute until onions
become translucent, then add to the saucepan.

Place dry split peas into the saucepan, along with the water. Add
carrots, then stir in the herbs and spices.

Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 45
minutes, or until peas just begin to break down. Add more water, if
necessary. Remove bay leaf. Garnish each serving with crumbled
bacon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 301 Calories; 8g Fat (22.7%
calories from fat); 19g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 16g Dietary Fiber;
12mg Cholesterol; 389mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 1/2
Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Many thanks to Sandy Dykes for inspiring the spice selections
for this recipe.
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

kilikini wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> I always put portions of split peas on a paper plate and shake it to
>> get the small stones to roll out of the split peas but that's a pain.
>>
>> I'll have to find a sifter with a course mesh so at worse, a few
>> split peas fall through.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> It is after all split pea soup season and I got Damsel's spicy split
>> pea soup recipe ready to rock!
>>
>> --
>> Andy
>> http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

> How funny, Andy! I'm getting ready to make my ham stock to make pea
> soup now. I'm making mine just average plain pea soup, yellow and
> green peas, ham, carrots, celery, onion, just about pureed to smooth.
> I like mine thick. I've never tried Dams' version, but pepperoni
> sounds like a good addition; I just never have it on hand!
>
> Dams, does the pepperoni make the soup a tad more greasy, do you
> think? I'm curious now.
>
> kili

kili,

I can venture a guess, that you use either the ham or the bacon Damsel's
recipe calls for. I have a bag of the thin round pepperoni pizza slices
so after cooking, I'll bet it just adds that spicy flavor. But we better
wait for Damsel to go "on the record."

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:02:06 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

> I can venture a guess, that you use either the ham or the bacon Damsel's
> recipe calls for. I have a bag of the thin round pepperoni pizza slices
> so after cooking, I'll bet it just adds that spicy flavor. But we better
> wait for Damsel to go "on the record."

You fry the pepperoni before adding it to the soup. Removes some of
the grease and gives it a more cooked flavor. It goes in the soup,
along with the onions, when you start cooking.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-12-09, Andy <q> wrote:

> soup recipe ready to rock!

Do you want the stones removed, or not?

One foolproof technique is to cook the soup till it's finished
then run it thru a fine sieve.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:17:33 -0600, notbob > wrote:

> On 2005-12-09, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > soup recipe ready to rock!

> Do you want the stones removed, or not?
>
> One foolproof technique is to cook the soup till it's finished
> then run it thru a fine sieve.

Yabbut ... then you lose the peas! And the carrot chunks! And the
pepperoni pieces!

Carol, weeping
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-12-09, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> soup recipe ready to rock!

> Do you want the stones removed, or not?
>
> One foolproof technique is to cook the soup till it's finished
> then run it thru a fine sieve.
>
> nb

nb,

When you pour out a bag of split peas, I forget where I read or heard it
but it said there are little rocks (I don't know if they're actual
stones, but they don't soften when cooking.

I want my split pea soup to rock, not have rocks in my split pea soup.

Which brings up another curiousity... who splits the peas? Or do they
grow that way!

Nevermind...

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:25:50 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

> When you pour out a bag of split peas, I forget where I read or heard it
> but it said there are little rocks (I don't know if they're actual
> stones, but they don't soften when cooking.

Only on rare occasions have I found small clods of dirt. Never once I
have I found a rock in my peas. Just spread them out and give them a
good looking over. I pick out shriveled peas when I pick them over,
too.

OTOH, I rarely go through this step anymore.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:02:06 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> > I can venture a guess, that you use either the ham or the bacon Damsel's
> > recipe calls for. I have a bag of the thin round pepperoni pizza slices
> > so after cooking, I'll bet it just adds that spicy flavor. But we better
> > wait for Damsel to go "on the record."

> You fry the pepperoni before adding it to the soup. Removes some of
> the grease and gives it a more cooked flavor. It goes in the soup,
> along with the onions, when you start cooking.
>
> Carol
> --

Andy's got the slices, should he sliver them before adding them? I guess it
probably just depends on personal preference, huh?

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:42:35 GMT, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> "Damsel in dis Dress" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:02:06 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> > > I can venture a guess, that you use either the ham or the bacon Damsel's
> > > recipe calls for. I have a bag of the thin round pepperoni pizza slices
> > > so after cooking, I'll bet it just adds that spicy flavor. But we better
> > > wait for Damsel to go "on the record."

> > You fry the pepperoni before adding it to the soup. Removes some of
> > the grease and gives it a more cooked flavor. It goes in the soup,
> > along with the onions, when you start cooking.

> Andy's got the slices, should he sliver them before adding them? I guess it
> probably just depends on personal preference, huh?

Yeah, he can use them as they are (although they might tend to form
little pepperoni bowls), or quarter them - that's what I'd do.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-12-09, Andy <q> wrote:

> Which brings up another curiousity... who splits the peas?

The prisoners on the rock pile! Where do you think the rocks come from?

Kidding aside, you need to move up to a better brand of dried peas. A
good processor will have machinery to remove unwanted debris prior to
packaging. I've never found stones or sand in my dried peas.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:17:33 -0600, notbob > wrote:
>

>>On 2005-12-09, Andy <q> wrote:
>>

>>>soup recipe ready to rock!

>>Do you want the stones removed, or not?
>>
>>One foolproof technique is to cook the soup till it's finished
>>then run it thru a fine sieve.

> Yabbut ... then you lose the peas! And the carrot chunks! And the
> pepperoni pieces!
>
> Carol, weeping

How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:20:26 GMT, Puester >
wrote:

> How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
> I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.

I think I have found two or three small clots of dirt. That's it. I
don't pick my beans over at all anymore. But I write that step into
my recipes, just because.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:42:35 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:

>>> You fry the pepperoni before adding it to the soup. Removes some of
>>> the grease and gives it a more cooked flavor. It goes in the soup,
>>> along with the onions, when you start cooking.

>> Andy's got the slices, should he sliver them before adding them? I
>> guess it probably just depends on personal preference, huh?

> Yeah, he can use them as they are (although they might tend to form
> little pepperoni bowls), or quarter them - that's what I'd do.
>
> Carol

I had the slices; zapped them in the microwave on a paper plate lined with a
paper towel. Patted excess fat off with another paper towel and went from
there. I couldn't see my way clear to bothering to cut them all up into
little pieces

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> I always put portions of split peas on a paper plate and shake it to get
> the small stones to roll out of the split peas but that's a pain.
>
> I'll have to find a sifter with a course mesh so at worse, a few split
> peas fall through.
>
> Any other ideas?

Yeah, forget it.

When I was a kid, I didn't understand why they put rocks in the dried
beans. What's the deal, they grow them in the dirt or something?

:-)

My father didn't like rocks in his beans. He spent extra money to buy
the beans that were guaranteed to have no rocks. He was a little naive.
He thought that meant that they wouldn't have any rocks in them. No, it
just means that they are *guaranteed* not to have rocks in them. You
may not understand the distinction. Don't ask me to explain. I don't
understand either. He gets a bag with a rock in it. He is furious, and
shoots off a letter. They make good on their guarantee. They send him
a replacement bag. There is a letter. They explain that this is a
"natural product" and it has rocks. They have the most sophisticated
equipment available to take out the rocks, but there will always be some.

So, I just know that when I buy this stuff, I have to take the rocks
out. Based on what I know, I am always curious about these rocks. It's
evident that they are light, meaning they weigh the same as the product,
and they are the same size. There is no way to take these out
mechanically, I'm sure that they have already been processed to take out
rocks. For the very few who are left, you just have to inspect
visually. I just pour them in the pan and look. I run my fingers
through, and I shake the pan.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Puester wrote:
> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Dec 2005 12:17:33 -0600, notbob >
>> wrote:

>>> Do you want the stones removed, or not?
>>>
>>> One foolproof technique is to cook the soup till it's finished
>>> then run it thru a fine sieve.

>> Yabbut ... then you lose the peas! And the carrot chunks! And the
>> pepperoni pieces!
>>
>> Carol, weeping

> How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
> I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.
>
> gloria p

I never made split peas until this week. However, I've never found
extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages warn
about "stones".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Puester wrote:
> > Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >> Yabbut ... then you lose the peas! And the carrot chunks! And the
> >> pepperoni pieces!
> >>
> >> Carol, weeping

> > How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
> > I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.
> >
> > gloria p

> I never made split peas until this week.

Don't know how that can be from the consumate soupaholic.

> However, I've never found
> extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages warn
> about "stones".

There's far less chance of finding stones with dried peas than with
dried beans but very occasionally I've found a tiny pebble or a small
clump of earth. I've often found pebbles with dried beans and have
almost alway picked out a few damaged/partially eaten beans. It's
always a good idea to carefully pick through dried beans/peas, and then
wash well. Do not soak dried split peas or lentils (but do soak whole
dried peas).

Sheldon Fee Fi Fo Fum

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

jmcquown wrote:

> I never made split peas until this week. However, I've never found
> extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages

warn
> about "stones".
>
> Jill

Jill,

Maybe the stones I'm talking about are tiny pea runts that died and
hardened, not actual rubies, emeralds, diamonds, etc.

I'll sift out some "stones" and put a few under the microscope.

What's your birthstone?

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Andy wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I never made split peas until this week. However, I've never found
>> extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages

> warn
>> about "stones".
>>
>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> Maybe the stones I'm talking about are tiny pea runts that died and
> hardened, not actual rubies, emeralds, diamonds, etc.
>
> I'll sift out some "stones" and put a few under the microscope.
>
> What's your birthstone?

Here are some of the split pea rejects...

http://tinypic.com/iedr84.jpg

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:22:21 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

> Here are some of the split pea rejects...
>
> http://tinypic.com/iedr84.jpg

What's wrong with them?

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:22:21 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> Here are some of the split pea rejects...
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/iedr84.jpg

> What's wrong with them?
>
> Carol

I was told to get rid of the yellow ones, the split-split ones, the
crinkled ones and the mini sized ones.

Probably to do with flavor and smoothness (I put my finished batch
through a foley mill and some peas don't mash and they have a noticable
bite). I wish Mom was still around to set me straight, but She'd probably
just have a good laugh instead.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:53:11 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 06:22:21 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >> Here are some of the split pea rejects...
> >>
> >> http://tinypic.com/iedr84.jpg

> > What's wrong with them?
> >
> > Carol

> I was told to get rid of the yellow ones, the split-split ones, the
> crinkled ones and the mini sized ones.
>
> Probably to do with flavor and smoothness (I put my finished batch
> through a foley mill and some peas don't mash and they have a noticable
> bite). I wish Mom was still around to set me straight, but She'd probably
> just have a good laugh instead.

The wrinkled ones are the only ones that I would remove, myself. They
may be too dry to blend smoothly. The others should be just fine. I
used to pick out the wrinkled ones, too, but now I just cook them
along with the others. The peas are so tiny. To me, a slight
imperfection here or there just doesn' t make a noticeable difference.

I wish my mom were around to help me, too. You can consider me a
surrogate if you'd like. I may not give you the same suggestions that
she would, but I wouldn't laugh at you, either.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Damsel in dis Dress

Oh, Andy ... if you're making my recipe, I'd add the pepperoni after
running the peas through the mill.

Carol
--

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/head_trollop/my_photos
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Andy wrote:

> Which brings up another curiousity... who splits the peas? Or do they
> grow that way!

They're split by hand one pea at a time.

Requires two peaple to slipt one pea:
http://www.peasoupandersens.net/index.shtml

Sheldon Peaple

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Puester wrote:

>>> How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
>>> I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> I never made split peas until this week.

> Don't know how that can be from the consumate soupaholic.

I dunno. Just never occurred, to me, I guess. I've made lentil soup and
all sorts of bean soups, including a bag of "mixed beans" I'm pretty sure
included split peas. But never until this past week have I made a pot of
split pea soup. I'll be doing it again, for sure!

>> However, I've never found
>> extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages
>> warn about "stones".

> There's far less chance of finding stones with dried peas than with
> dried beans but very occasionally I've found a tiny pebble or a small
> clump of earth. I've often found pebbles with dried beans and have
> almost alway picked out a few damaged/partially eaten beans.

It's
> always a good idea to carefully pick through dried beans/peas, and
> then wash well. Do not soak dried split peas or lentils (but do soak
> whole dried peas).
>
> Sheldon Fee Fi Fo Fum

I do pick through dried beans in a collander before I cook them and then
rinse them off..

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> I never made split peas until this week.

> > Don't know how that can be from the consumate soupaholic.
> >

> I dunno. Just never occurred, to me, I guess. I've made lentil soup and
> all sorts of bean soups, including a bag of "mixed beans" I'm pretty sure
> included split peas. But never until this past week have I made a pot of
> split pea soup. I'll be doing it again, for sure!
>
> >> However, I've never found
> >> extraneous material in dried beans, either, even though the packages
> >> warn about "stones".

> > There's far less chance of finding stones with dried peas than with
> > dried beans but very occasionally I've found a tiny pebble or a small
> > clump of earth. I've often found pebbles with dried beans and have
> > almost alway picked out a few damaged/partially eaten beans.

> It's
> > always a good idea to carefully pick through dried beans/peas, and
> > then wash well. Do not soak dried split peas or lentils (but do soak
> > whole dried peas).
> >
> > Sheldon Fee Fi Fo Fum

> I do pick through dried beans in a collander before I cook them and then
> rinse them off..

If you can find them try whole dried peas (green and yellow), they have
a more intense pea flavor than splits. Whole dried peas should be
soaked by the hot water method, directions are on the bag. Along with
the carrots, onions, and celery I like potato chunks too... I detest
pureed pea soup... without the chunky veggies you may as well buy
Campbell's. Pea soup needs toasted croutons too. When adding a ham
bone to your pea soup don't use too much or all you'll taste is ham and
no peas, and be certain it's from a real smoked ham... those cheapo
stupidmarket hams get their smokiness from artificial smoke
flavoring... and if you want to really overwhelm a perfectly good pea
soup go ahead and fercockt it up with sliced hot dogs or worse yet,
pepperoni. Pepperoni is better than 60% fat... the hot pepper is bad
enough, why would any normal brained person want all that dago red
grease in pea soup.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Well, has there ever been such a gathering as an r.f.c pea-in?

Geez... maybe I shoulda rephrased that.

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

wrote:

>How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
>I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.

Thank you! That has been my experience too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel

In article >, sf <> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:20:26 GMT, Puester >
> wrote:
> >
> >How many times have you ever found a stone in dried split peas?
> >I've made pea soup for many years and have NEVER found one.
> >

> Thank you! That has been my experience too.

Some people are just lucky. Stones (or more likely, little dirt clods)
are pretty rare in dried split peas. I haven't kept a record, but I'm
pretty sure I have found them. They are more likely in dried beans.

--
Dan Abel

Petaluma, California, USA

REC: Split Pea Soup Mike Muth General Cooking 38 13-01-2012 05:36 PM
Split Pea Soup Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-05-2007 02:56 PM
Split Pea With Ham Soup Michele Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2006 03:08 AM
Split pea soup serene General Cooking 63 04-04-2006 01:15 AM
Split Pea Soup serene Recipes (moderated) 0 02-04-2006 06:59 PM