Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Default pomegranate martini!

over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:

four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
one to two oz cointreau
*POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker

makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:

squeeze of lime or lemon
pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)

this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 28 Nov 2005 06:58:13p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?

> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>
> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> one to two oz cointreau
> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>
> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>
> squeeze of lime or lemon
> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>
> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

Interesting drink. NOT a martini.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Myraide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>
> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> one to two oz cointreau
> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>
> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>
> squeeze of lime or lemon
> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>
> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird concoction in
a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini is gin and vermouth.

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
> >
> > four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> > one to two oz cointreau
> > *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
> >
> > makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
> >
> > squeeze of lime or lemon
> > pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
> >
> > this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide
> >

> No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird concoction in
> a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini is gin and vermouth.

uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
myraide

> --
> Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 28 Nov 2005 07:36:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?

> Peter Aitken wrote:
>> "Myraide" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>> >
>> > four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
>> > one to two oz cointreau
>> > *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>> >
>> > makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>> >
>> > squeeze of lime or lemon
>> > pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>> >
>> > this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide
>> >

>> No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird
>> concoction in a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini is
>> gin and vermouth.

> uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
> myraide

Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 28 Nov 2005 07:36:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?
>

> > Peter Aitken wrote:
> >> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird
> >> concoction in a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini is
> >> gin and vermouth.

> > uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
> > myraide

> Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you. :-)

what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>>
>> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
>> one to two oz cointreau
>> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>>
>> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>>
>> squeeze of lime or lemon
>> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>>
>> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide
>>

> No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird
> concoction in a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini
> is gin and vermouth.

Exactly. Some people think vodka rather than gin with is marginally
acceptable... I'm not one of them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Myraide wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Mon 28 Nov 2005 07:36:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Myraide?

>>> uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this,
>>> then...... myraide

>> Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you.
>> :-)

> what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
> kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

There are different kinds of wine because there are different grape
varieties made into wine. This "martini" is part of the "new millenium
yuppie" syndrome. Think Appletini's. Adding fruit juice to vodka does not
a martini make, I don't care what Oprah and Rachel Ray say. I like vodka
and cranberry juice; it doesn't make it a cranberry martini.

Jill
Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jessica V.

A Pomegranate cocktail would be my best guess without coming up with a
quirky name for it. What's often served as a "chocolate martini" was
until rather recently called a "chocolate shot" while a "sour apple
martini" was an "apple", "sour apple" or "apple jolly rancher" shot, I
imagine there are others but I'm not entirely up on the "martini"
menus. The glass something is served in doesn't define what it is. In
the heyday of cocktail culture what we now call a martini glass was
typically called a cocktail glass.

Jessica

Still miffed about the bartender who asked what kind of vodka I wanted
in my Beefeater gimlet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 28 Nov 2005 08:13:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

is

>> > uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
>> > myraide

>> Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you. :-)

> what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
> kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

Take a look at any bar book and you'll see that there are hundreds of
unique names to define drinks that were once new inventions. If bartenders
and drink promoters of those generations had been as stupid as those of the
current, they'd all have been called martinis, or mabe manhattans. The
best they seem to be able to do today is capitalize on the glass that a
real martini is served in. What a lot of crap!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Myraide wrote:

> what would this drink be called then?

A cocktail.

> i mean there are all different
> kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

A martini is made with gin. It is traditionally gin and vermouth,
garnished with olives. Anything else is a poser.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julian Vrieslander

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Interesting drink. NOT a martini.

Yup. These days, restaurants and bars use "martini" in the name of any
drink served in a martini glass. It's not correct, but not worth
getting your panties bunched up, either.

I recently had a "crushed kumquat martini" at The Tamarind Tree, a fine
Vietnamese restaurant here in Seattle. Exquisitely tasty, even if it's
not the traditional formula. So far, the best real martini that I've
found in Seattle was served at the Sand Point Grill.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On 28 Nov 2005 18:36:20 -0800, Myraide wrote:

> uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
> myraide

LOL They are diehards. Both of us know if it's served in a martini
glass, it's a martini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Myraide wrote:

> what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
> kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

Just another frou frou drink that probably tastes good, but it surely
isn't a martini. How can you justify calling it a martini when nothing
in it has anything to do with a classic martini?
Don't buy into "dumbing" down.. you end up with Sandra Lee if you go too
far.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Julian Vrieslander wrote:
> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > Interesting drink. NOT a martini.

> Yup. These days, restaurants and bars use "martini" in the name of any
> drink served in a martini glass. It's not correct, but not worth
> getting your panties bunched up, either.

Somebody has to stand up for the integrity of the martini; don't
*******ize a classic American cultural icon.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 29 Nov 2005 12:47:08a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Julian Vrieslander wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting drink. NOT a martini.

>> Yup. These days, restaurants and bars use "martini" in the name of any
>> drink served in a martini glass. It's not correct, but not worth
>> getting your panties bunched up, either.

> Somebody has to stand up for the integrity of the martini; don't
> *******ize a classic American cultural icon.
> -L.

Exactly!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

I'm more interested in words and word origins and the way word meanings
change over time than I am in mixed drinks. I don't like corrupting the
meaning of martini either. Now I'm wondering if changing it to mean any
mixed drink came from advertisers and liquor salespeople in the U.S. or
if it is an import from overseas. Conjectu Maybe people in Asia and
Europe saw American movies where the tourists and servicemen drank
martinis, and not knowing exactly what was meant, spun off with the
definition.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Aitken

"Myraide" > wrote in message
oups.com...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 28 Nov 2005 07:36:20p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?
>

> > Peter Aitken wrote:
> >> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> No matter how good, this is NOT A MARTINI! Putting some weird
> >> concoction in a martini glass does not make it a martini. A martini is
> >> gin and vermouth.

> > uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
> > myraide

> Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you. :-)

what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

Saying "wine" is like saying "cocktail" - just like there are many kinds of
wine, there are many kinds of cocktails (meaning a drink made with hard
liquor and a mixer of some sort). But "martini" has a specific meaning and
has for many decades. It does not mean the shape of the glass or the kind of
shaker used to make it, it means "gin and vermouth." Some people, including
many who should know better, have been using the term incorrectly. That does
not mean you should!

As for what to call your drink, I suggest calling it a "myraide"

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Bubbo

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm more interested in words and word origins and the way word meanings
> change over time than I am in mixed drinks. I don't like corrupting the
> meaning of martini either. Now I'm wondering if changing it to mean any
> mixed drink came from advertisers and liquor salespeople in the U.S. or
> if it is an import from overseas. Conjectu Maybe people in Asia and
> Europe saw American movies where the tourists and servicemen drank
> martinis, and not knowing exactly what was meant, spun off with the
> definition.
>

> --Lia

No, I think they were just trying to appeal to that group of bar goers that
likes to drink out of a martini glass because it looks classy, but they don't
particularly like martinis. Market anything right and you'll make a goldmine
and i'm pretty sure that's what all this faketini business is about.

me, I stick to vodka tonics at the bar (unless I want to feel pretty, then
it's a cosmopolitan in a martini glass...sigh)

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Puester

jmcquown wrote:

> There are different kinds of wine because there are different grape
> varieties made into wine. This "martini" is part of the "new millenium
> yuppie" syndrome. Think Appletini's. Adding fruit juice to vodka does not
> a martini make, I don't care what Oprah and Rachel Ray say. I like vodka
> and cranberry juice; it doesn't make it a cranberry martini.
>
> Jill

Have you ever tried Southern Comfort and cranberry juice with a twist of
lime? That was a Scarlet O'Hara (Don't ask me why) a favorite drink of
my long-ago college years. Yummmmmy.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Puester wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> There are different kinds of wine because there are different grape
>> varieties made into wine. This "martini" is part of the "new
>> millenium yuppie" syndrome. Think Appletini's. Adding fruit juice
>> to vodka does not a martini make, I don't care what Oprah and Rachel
>> Ray say. I like vodka and cranberry juice; it doesn't make it a
>> cranberry martini.
>>
>> Jill

> Have you ever tried Southern Comfort and cranberry juice with a twist
> of lime? That was a Scarlet O'Hara (Don't ask me why) a favorite
> drink of
> my long-ago college years. Yummmmmy.
>
> gloria p

I've never tasted Southern Comfort. It wasn't until last year I'd ever
tasted whisky, and only then because I bought a bottle for John's birthday.
I'd asked the man at the liquor store what would be a good single malt to
give as a gift. John said it was soooo smoothe I just had to taste it.
I'll admit it wasn't bad. But I'm a beer and wine kinda gal.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7

"Myraide" > wrote:
> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>
> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> one to two oz cointreau
> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>
> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>
> squeeze of lime or lemon
> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>
> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

Great use of pomegranate juice! I'll have to try this... or something like
it. I just couldn't stomach drinking the stuff straight, in spite of all the
advertisements I've seen for it. I love pomegranates and anticipate their
arrival each fall, and have a couple in my fruit bowl right now. But the
juice... yuck... at least straight. I read in a book recently that the juice
is made from pressing the entire fruit, rind and all, which is probably the
reason the juice tastes much different than the kernels.

As to the purists having a problem with using the word "martini"... I guess
I'm one of them too, but I realize language evolves. Call it a "martini" if
you will, but I like the suggestion of calling it a "myraide".

I like "martinis" and "manhattans"... but some purists might have a problem
with my recipe... I make them "perfect", if anyone remembers that term as
applied to these drinks. Half sweet vermouth, half dry vermouth. And I make
them shaken, not stirred (also "incorrect"). I use one of those old
fashioned Rochow Swirl Mixers to mix them. And if for two, in two 1930s
cocktail glasses that hold 2 ounces. Or if just for me, in a pewter martini
"glass" that holds 4 ounces.

If you are making a real "martini", you've just got to use orange bitters.
Fee Brothers (www.feebrothers.com) makes it, along with several other
interesting bitters. I like their Old Fashion Bitters better than Angostura
Bitters. I've never tried Peychaud Bitters for comparison.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Myraide

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "Myraide" > wrote:
> > over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
> >
> > four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> > one to two oz cointreau
> > *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
> >
> > makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
> >
> > squeeze of lime or lemon
> > pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
> >
> > this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

> Great use of pomegranate juice! I'll have to try this... or something like
> it. I just couldn't stomach drinking the stuff straight, in spite of all the
> advertisements I've seen for it. I love pomegranates and anticipate their
> arrival each fall, and have a couple in my fruit bowl right now. But the
> juice... yuck... at least straight. I read in a book recently that the juice
> is made from pressing the entire fruit, rind and all, which is probably the
> reason the juice tastes much different than the kernels.
>
> As to the purists having a problem with using the word "martini"... I guess
> I'm one of them too, but I realize language evolves. Call it a "martini" if
> you will, but I like the suggestion of calling it a "myraide".

heh...yeah, that gave me a giggle! my name is actually mairead
(pronounced murr-RAID)....so, maybe i will call this drink a
*myraidini*! do you think oprah and rachel ray would mind? well, i wont
tell them.... myraide
ps. i have never even tried a real martini cos my mom was allergic to
gin (or juniper berries) so i have never wanted to try any.

> I like "martinis" and "manhattans"... but some purists might have a problem
> with my recipe... I make them "perfect", if anyone remembers that term as
> applied to these drinks. Half sweet vermouth, half dry vermouth. And I make
> them shaken, not stirred (also "incorrect"). I use one of those old
> fashioned Rochow Swirl Mixers to mix them. And if for two, in two 1930s
> cocktail glasses that hold 2 ounces. Or if just for me, in a pewter martini
> "glass" that holds 4 ounces.
>
> If you are making a real "martini", you've just got to use orange bitters.
> Fee Brothers (www.feebrothers.com) makes it, along with several other
> interesting bitters. I like their Old Fashion Bitters better than Angostura
> Bitters. I've never tried Peychaud Bitters for comparison.
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Myraide" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>
> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
> one to two oz cointreau
> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>
> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>
> squeeze of lime or lemon
> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>
> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

Maybe a nice drink but without question not a Martini.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
wff_ng_7

"Myraide" > wrote:
> heh...yeah, that gave me a giggle! my name is actually mairead
> (pronounced murr-RAID)....so, maybe i will call this drink a
> *myraidini*! do you think oprah and rachel ray would mind? well, i wont
> tell them.... myraide
> ps. i have never even tried a real martini cos my mom was allergic to
> gin (or juniper berries) so i have never wanted to try any.

I think gin might be an acquired taste, therefore all the "martinis" that
don't have any gin in them. I've acquired that taste after many years! ;-) I
also use juniper berries in other cooking, such as making sauerbraten.

Note, there are two distinct types of gin: a Dutch type that is more
strongly flavored and normally drunk straight, and the more common London
dry type that is normally used in mixed drinks. If you really want to play
with someone's tastes, make a martini out of the Dutch type... that might be
the last martini they ever have! ;-)

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking
LittleGreyPoodle

Myraide wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

legroups.com...

>>>uh oh....... i better ask oprah and rachel ray about this, then......
>>> myraide

>>Well, someone needs to set them straight. It might as well be you. :-)

> what would this drink be called then? i mean there are all different
> kinds of wine, why can't there be different kinds of martinis? myraide

There's a perfectly good word for a drink like this; a "COCKTAIL".

"Martini" has (or had...) a specific meaning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LittleGreyPoodle

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> I'm more interested in words and word origins and the way word meanings
> change over time than I am in mixed drinks. I don't like corrupting the
> meaning of martini either. Now I'm wondering if changing it to mean any
> mixed drink came from advertisers and liquor salespeople in the U.S. or
> if it is an import from overseas. Conjectu Maybe people in Asia and
> Europe saw American movies where the tourists and servicemen drank
> martinis, and not knowing exactly what was meant, spun off with the
> definition.

I don't know in general, but the vodka "martini" was an invention in the
late 50's or early 60's by a vodka importer that wanted to promote their
product. Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their
underarms and teenagers "needing" to wear Nike "sports shoes" and
computer nerds "needing" to use a particular computer, or a patriot
needing to support a certain president's unpopular war. A lot of people
try to influence other people to their given beliefs. It's human nature.
Doesn't make it right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Default pomegranate martini! - advertising hype

LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their
> underarms and teenagers "needing" to wear Nike "sports shoes" and
> computer nerds "needing" to use a particular computer,

What do you know about the history of the advertising campaign
convincing women that they need to shave? I'm 47 years old, and the
idea has been around for as long as I've been alive. (I'm in North
America; I don't know about other parts of the world.) To the best of
my knowledge, my mother (81 years old) grew up with it too. But common
sense tells me that my grandmother (1896-1992) probably didn't. I've
never seen early ad copy of shaving products for women. When did it
start and become common place? Did it really start with the
advertisers, or was the practice common before the products marketed
especially for it? (I'm thinking of how shocked people were when
disposable sanitary pads and tampax were advertised on tv, but obviously
the products existed before the advertisements.) I'm just curious.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-11-30, LittleGreyPoodle > wrote:

> I don't know in general, but the vodka "martini" was an invention in the
> late 50's or early 60's by a vodka importer that wanted to promote their
> product. Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their
> underarms and teenagers "needing" to wear Nike "sports shoes" and
> computer nerds "needing" to use a particular computer, or a patriot
> needing to support a certain president's unpopular war. A lot of people
> try to influence other people to their given beliefs. It's human nature.
> Doesn't make it right.

The speculation on it's origins are rampant. Here's just one:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lcd6/page6.html

I was not aware JB's original vodka martini included both gin and
vodka, despite the fact I read the whole series way back when I was in
the service. I didn't drink back then, so that little factoid
probably didn't register.

My theories on why vodka is so popular today revolve around how most
younger people prefer sweet drinks to the tart/sour cocktails of our
and our parent's time. The overwhelming popularity of premium vodkas
is a good clue. To spend $30-40 per bottle for vodkas named after
Canadian turkeys and fat butlers and has been refined to the point
it's almost tasteless and then serve it freezing cold is telling.
We're talking virtually no inherent flavor whatsoever. Might just as
well suck an ice cube while getting an everclear IV. There's also
that martini glass. Its neon profile has iconized hard liquor for
over half a century. It should be no surprise the hidden persuaders
latched onto it to push the poor man's hard liquor on the new
upcomming drinking generation.

Me, I'm a traditionalist and romantic. Martinis are gin, vodka is for
bloody mary's and pineapple drinks and shouldn't be made with a vodka
that costs more than a decent pizza.

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L.

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > Somebody has to stand up for the integrity of the martini; don't
> > *******ize a classic American cultural icon.
> > -L.

> Exactly!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Wayne, we are just going to have to meet for a martini some day! I
will have to bring my husband but I promise I won't bring my kid.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 29 Nov 2005 10:46:26p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> > Somebody has to stand up for the integrity of the martini; don't
>> > *******ize a classic American cultural icon.
>> > -L.

>> Exactly!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> Wayne, we are just going to have to meet for a martini some day! I
> will have to bring my husband but I promise I won't bring my kid.

I'd like that! And you can bring your kid, too. I know he's being raised
well.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> Me, I'm a traditionalist and romantic. Martinis are gin, vodka is for
> bloody mary's and pineapple drinks and shouldn't be made with a vodka
> that costs more than a decent pizza.

I despise gin. Tastes like medicine. Give me brandy or bourbon, but
I just can't stand juniper berry flavor.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message

> I despise gin. Tastes like medicine. Give me brandy or bourbon, but
> I just can't stand juniper berry flavor.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Amen - It's like drinking perfume.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking
notbob

On 2005-11-30, Ranee Mueller > wrote:

> I despise gin. Tastes like medicine. Give me brandy or bourbon, but
> I just can't stand juniper berry flavor.

I can relate. Took me 40 years to develope a taste for it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Women Shaving (WAS: pomegranate martini! - advertising hype)

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
> Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their
>> underarms and teenagers "needing" to wear Nike "sports shoes" and
>> computer nerds "needing" to use a particular computer,

> What do you know about the history of the advertising campaign
> convincing women that they need to shave? I'm 47 years old, and the
> idea has been around for as long as I've been alive. (I'm in North
> America; I don't know about other parts of the world.) To the best of
> my knowledge, my mother (81 years old) grew up with it too. But
> common sense tells me that my grandmother (1896-1992) probably
> didn't. I've never seen early ad copy of shaving products for women.
> When did it start and become common place? Did it really start with
> the advertisers, or was the practice common before the products
> marketed especially for it? (I'm thinking of how shocked people were
> when disposable sanitary pads and tampax were advertised on tv, but
> obviously the products existed before the advertisements.) I'm just
> curious.
>

> --Lia

I was always under the impression in the U.S. it had something to do with
prostitutes, not an advertising campaign.

http://www.4to40.com/health/index.as..._shavedarmpits

On this site, it says:

"None of many razor companies or cosmetic historians we contacted could
pinpoint when woman first started shaving their armpits. The earliest
reports concerned prostitutes during the gold rush days in California. Terri
Tongco, among other readers, posited the theory that prostitutes shaved
their underarms to prove that they have no body lice, which were rampant in
the old West."

Be that as it may (or may not), shaving dates waaaaay back, whether you are
male or female. I suspect it has a lot to do with cultural and social mores
(and what is "in fashion") at the time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Dimitri wrote:
> "Myraide" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> over about a cup of ice in martini shaker:
>>
>> four oz of prime citrus vodka, like absolut or grey goose
>> one to two oz cointreau
>> *POM* pomegranate juice, to fill shaker
>>
>> makes two martinis, pour into chilled martini glasses and add:
>>
>> squeeze of lime or lemon
>> pomegranate fruit for bottom of glass (optional decor)
>>
>> this is the best martini i have ever had! myraide

> Maybe a nice drink but without question not a Martini.
>
> Dimitri

Yep, this would be like saying a Pina Colada is made with gin and vermouth

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>
>>LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
>>Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their
>>
>>>underarms and teenagers "needing" to wear Nike "sports shoes" and
>>>computer nerds "needing" to use a particular computer,

>>What do you know about the history of the advertising campaign
>>convincing women that they need to shave? I'm 47 years old, and the
>>idea has been around for as long as I've been alive. (I'm in North
>>America; I don't know about other parts of the world.) To the best of
>>my knowledge, my mother (81 years old) grew up with it too. But
>>common sense tells me that my grandmother (1896-1992) probably
>>didn't. I've never seen early ad copy of shaving products for women.
>>When did it start and become common place? Did it really start with
>>the advertisers, or was the practice common before the products
>>marketed especially for it? (I'm thinking of how shocked people were
>>when disposable sanitary pads and tampax were advertised on tv, but
>>obviously the products existed before the advertisements.) I'm just
>>curious.
>>

>>--Lia

> I was always under the impression in the U.S. it had something to do with
> prostitutes, not an advertising campaign.
>
> http://www.4to40.com/health/index.as..._shavedarmpits
>
> On this site, it says:
>
> "None of many razor companies or cosmetic historians we contacted could
> pinpoint when woman first started shaving their armpits. The earliest
> reports concerned prostitutes during the gold rush days in California. Terri
> Tongco, among other readers, posited the theory that prostitutes shaved
> their underarms to prove that they have no body lice, which were rampant in
> the old West."
>
> Be that as it may (or may not), shaving dates waaaaay back, whether you are
> male or female. I suspect it has a lot to do with cultural and social mores
> (and what is "in fashion") at the time.
>
> Jill

I think it's completely ridiculous that women are expected to be
practically hairless these days. I don't shave my legs or my underarms,
and my brother always comments on how "disgusting" it is. I happen to
think that itchy pink sores that ooze (which is what happens when i have
kept everything shaved) are alot more disgusting than the hair that is
obviously supposed to be on my body.

ok, off my soapbox.

--

saerah

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
> > Me, I'm a traditionalist and romantic. Martinis are gin, vodka is for
> > bloody mary's and pineapple drinks and shouldn't be made with a vodka
> > that costs more than a decent pizza.

> I despise gin. Tastes like medicine. Give me brandy or bourbon, but
> I just can't stand juniper berry flavor.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

I *was* the same - for many years I just could not stand the smell of the
stuff even let alone the taste - to me it tasted as if someone squirted
hairspray onto my tongue. However, one day we were helping my li'l sis pack
up to move house, and after we'd finished and had almost everything out of
there but the last few boxes, we sat down for a smoke and a drink. I spied a
half bottle of Gordon's and thought I'd have a pull on it for a laugh from
everyone (everyone knew of my aversion to the stuff) since we were all a bit
giddy at the time. Well I drank about a quarter of it down in one, and yup -
disgusting! Well they were all having screaming fits of laughter at the
twisted up look of utter revulsion on my face as the shudders bounced
repeatedly up and down my spine, so I finished it off in a few more huge
gulps. I don't recall much immediately after that (apart from not feeling
particularly bad about the taste at all by the last of it, heheheheh... )
and didn't try gin again for a good while... until I met my now wife, Kath,
who loved the stuff. She introduced me to Bombay Sapphire
(HhhHHhhmMMmmmmm... ) and well, I now really enjoy gin cocktails, even just
plain old G&T's! My only problem with it is it keeps me awake if I've only
been drinking gin of a night - it doesn't seem to have a sedative effect on
me like most other alcoholic drinks.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe - And /sloe/ gin? Ddrrreeaaaammmmy...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Puester wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> There are different kinds of wine because there are different grape
> >> varieties made into wine. This "martini" is part of the "new
> >> millenium yuppie" syndrome. Think Appletini's. Adding fruit juice
> >> to vodka does not a martini make, I don't care what Oprah and Rachel
> >> Ray say. I like vodka and cranberry juice; it doesn't make it a
> >> cranberry martini.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Have you ever tried Southern Comfort and cranberry juice with a twist
> > of lime? That was a Scarlet O'Hara (Don't ask me why) a favorite
> > drink of
> > my long-ago college years. Yummmmmy.
> >
> > gloria p

> I've never tasted Southern Comfort. It wasn't until last year I'd ever
> tasted whisky, and only then because I bought a bottle for John's

birthday.
> I'd asked the man at the liquor store what would be a good single malt to
> give as a gift. John said it was soooo smoothe I just had to taste it.
> I'll admit it wasn't bad. But I'm a beer and wine kinda gal.
>
> Jill

Well Southern Comfort may use whiskey as a base, but it really is not a
thing like whiskey - it is sweet, warming, and delightfully orangey! Makes
some delicious cocktails it does, including my favourite for long, cold,
refreshing summer drinks, which is a double SC, single extra dry vermouth,
over ice in a tall glass, then topped up with (sparkling) lemonade (I'll
drink it and enjoy it with almost any fizzy lemonade, but it is MUCH better
with the stuff made from real lemons, and without artificial flavours or
sweeteners). So delicious and very, VERY easy drinking - goes down like it's
just a soda, glass after glass, and you forget what you're drinking until
you start to get wobbly, heheheh...

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>
>>> LittleGreyPoodle wrote:
>>> Purely marketing hype, just like women "needing" to shave their

>>> What do you know about the history of the advertising campaign
>>> convincing women that they need to shave?
>>>
>>> --Lia

>> I was always under the impression in the U.S. it had something to do
>> with prostitutes, not an advertising campaign.
>>
>> http://www.4to40.com/health/index.as..._shavedarmpits
>>
>> On this site, it says:
>>
>> "None of many razor companies or cosmetic historians we contacted
>> could pinpoint when woman first started shaving their armpits. The
>> earliest reports concerned prostitutes during the gold rush days in
>> California. Terri Tongco, among other readers, posited the theory
>> that prostitutes shaved their underarms to prove that they have no
>> body lice, which were rampant in the old West."
>>
>> Be that as it may (or may not), shaving dates waaaaay back, whether
>> you are male or female. I suspect it has a lot to do with cultural
>> and social mores (and what is "in fashion") at the time.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I think it's completely ridiculous that women are expected to be
> practically hairless these days. I don't shave my legs or my
> underarms,
> and my brother always comments on how "disgusting" it is. I happen to
> think that itchy pink sores that ooze (which is what happens when i
> have
> kept everything shaved) are alot more disgusting than the hair that is
> obviously supposed to be on my body.
>
> ok, off my soapbox.

Ahem... how old are you?... itchy pink oozing sores means you don't know how
to shave or perhaps you have had a bad reaction to depilitory creams. If it
was depilitory cream, you had an allergic reaction. I sure wouldn't be
asking my brother to comment about it.

Jill

Pomegranate Lucille[_2_] General Cooking 12 30-01-2011 06:25 PM
pomegranate lainie General Cooking 5 07-12-2010 11:39 AM
POMEGRANATE madis General Cooking 3 20-10-2009 02:28 AM
Pomegranate 7up ravenlynne General Cooking 22 12-11-2007 06:00 PM
best martini site martini lover Coffee 0 13-04-2005 02:55 AM