Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default POMEGRANATE

I have a pomegranate tree with a lot of fruit on it. What do I use to juice
it and remove the bitter pit? I need to buy something (the blender just
makes it gritty and bitter). Would a food mill work or what about the
kitchen aid attachement Fruit and Vegetable Strainer (I have the grinder)?
Do either of these have drawbacks or would one be more useful then the
other? Which food mill would you recommend?

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

madis > wrote:

> I have a pomegranate tree with a lot of fruit on it. What do
> I use to juice it and remove the bitter pit?

We just scoop the juicy part of the pomegranate into a
mesh strainer, and pummel it through.

Seems to work; I'm not sure one isn't discarding some of the
good bits though.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"madis" > wrote in message
m...
>I have a pomegranate tree with a lot of fruit on it. What do I use to
>juice it and remove the bitter pit? I need to buy something (the blender
>just makes it gritty and bitter). Would a food mill work or what about the
>kitchen aid attachement Fruit and Vegetable Strainer (I have the grinder)?
>Do either of these have drawbacks or would one be more useful then the
>other? Which food mill would you recommend?
>
> Thanks

Foley Mill. Set it so that it won't try to squarsh the seeds. Works great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 19, 4:42*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> madis > wrote:
> > I have a pomegranate tree with a lot of fruit on it. *What do
> > I use to juice it and remove the bitter pit?

> We just scoop the juicy part of the pomegranate into a
> mesh strainer, and pummel it through.
>
> Seems to work; I'm not sure one isn't discarding some of the
> good bits though.
>
> Steve

A friend of mine juices pomegranates by banging them on the counter
(or cutting board) cutting them in half and squeezing them into a
bowl. Sometimes she rolls them around like you do for a lemon before
you juice it. If she wants the seeds instead of just the juice, she
doesn't dig the seeds out -- just peels away some of the red skin
and the white membrane and whacks the fruit on the unpeeled part and
the perfect little red rubies just fall all over the salad or
whatever.
Lynn in Fargo

Pomegranate seeds [email protected] Preserving 2 28-10-2013 05:36 AM
Pomegranate Lucille[_2_] General Cooking 12 30-01-2011 06:25 PM
pomegranate lainie General Cooking 5 07-12-2010 11:39 AM
REC: Pomegranate Jelly Becca[_3_] General Cooking 1 22-12-2008 03:09 AM
Pomegranate 7up ravenlynne General Cooking 22 12-11-2007 06:00 PM