Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathy

Default Clear vanilla extract

Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
extract, not the real thing.

Does it exist?

Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"cathy" > wrote in message
> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.
>
> Does it exist?

Yes it does exist http://tinyurl.com/8oosh this what I buy in UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

cathy wrote:

> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.

Yes, it does exist. The chef at a local restaurant brought some back from
the Dominican Republic and gave me some. It was very good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

cathy wrote:

> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.
>
> Does it exist?
>
> Cathy

Does it really need to be clear? This will be pure, but not
clear.

<http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1713,146191-251198,00.html>

HOME BREWED VANILLA EXTRACT

2 c. vodka
5 vanilla beans, cut into 1" pieces

Combine vodka and vanilla beans in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
The vodka mixture will turn amber color after a day or two. Let
stand 6 to 8 weeks. Yield: 2 cups.
After half the extract is used, add more vodka to cover the
beans. The flavor of the beans is gone when the vodka no longer
turns to a dark color. (This extract has been used with the same
beans for a period of three years, or longer.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"cathy" > wrote in message
> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.
>
> Does it exist?
>
> Cathy

I see Ophelia already provided a source. But, in a pinch, could you use a
vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem to
put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

cathy wrote:
> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.
>
> Does it exist?

I'd be very suspicious.

And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
imitation/artificial flavoring.

In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

Merriam Webster

van·il·lin

noun

: a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
flavoring and in perfumery

Sheldon Van Nillin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Ophelia wrote:
> "cathy" > wrote in message
> > Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> > found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> > extract, not the real thing.
> >
> > Does it exist?

> Yes it does exist http://tinyurl.com/8oosh this what I buy in UK

That's not *clear*.

Sheldon Reads

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jude

Sheldon wrote:

> van·il·lin
>
> noun
>
> : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
> vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
> flavoring and in perfumery
>
> Sheldon Van Nillin

I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)

If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. An
environmental educator for the Albuquerque Public School district told
my class that vanillan is extracted from the tree sap. Makes sense if
you think about the fact that syrup comes from tree sap, why not
vanillan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathy

On 28 Nov 2005 15:11:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>cathy wrote:
>> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
>> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
>> extract, not the real thing.
>>
>> Does it exist?

>I'd be very suspicious.
>
>And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
>imitation/artificial flavoring.
>
>In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
>can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
>anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
>real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
>majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
>cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.
>
>Merriam Webster
>
>van·il·lin
>
>noun
>
> : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
>vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
>flavoring and in perfumery
>
>Sheldon Van Nillin

Well, I'm thinking specifically about cake frostings. I made a red
velvet cake yesterday with a cream cheese frosting, which called for 2
teaspoons of vanilla. So instead of a pure, glaringly white frosting
(which is what I wanted in contrasted to the red of the cake) I had a
sort of pale beige frosting. Tastes fine, but the color contrast isn't
there. It occurred to me that a clear vanilla extract would be just
the thing for a frosting like this.

But I really really dislike using the imitation stuff. You're right,
Sheldon, you can't taste the difference if it's been heated, but
straight into a frosting, well, I =can= tell the difference. There's
something....chemical-y tasting about artificial vanilla, it's almost
kind of metallic, and I just don't want that flavor in my frosting.
Hence hte need for clear.

So....does it exist?

Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> > Does it exist?

> I'd be very suspicious.
>
> And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
> imitation/artificial flavoring.
>
> In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
> can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
> anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
> real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
> majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
> cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
chef. He used it in his restaurant.

As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from reliable
sources.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "cathy" > wrote in message
> > Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> > found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> > extract, not the real thing.
> >
> > Does it exist?
> >
> > Cathy

> I see Ophelia already provided a source.

You don't read any better than Ophelia.

> But, in a pinch, could you use a
> vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem to
> put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

Stop padding your posts with bullshit verbiage... do you think you're a
guinea, or what.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Doug Kanter wrote:
>> "cathy" > wrote in message
>> > Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
>> > found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
>> > extract, not the real thing.
>> >
>> > Does it exist?
>> >
>> > Cathy

>> I see Ophelia already provided a source.

> You don't read any better than Ophelia.
>
>> But, in a pinch, could you use a
>> vanilla liqueur? I don't know if one exists, but booze manufacturers seem
>> put every other damned flavor into alcohol these days. :-)

> Stop padding your posts with bullshit verbiage... do you think you're a
> guinea, or what.
>
> Sheldon

Mommy will be home, soon, Sheldon. Stay calm, and focus on a happy thought,
like her nipples. You'll be fine soon. Breathe deeply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem

Jude wrote:

> I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
> lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
> the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
> lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
> hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)
>
> If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
> openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. [snip]

I think Ponderosa pine smells like butterscotch. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>

>> > Does it exist?

>> I'd be very suspicious.
>>
>> And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
>> imitation/artificial flavoring.
>>
>> In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
>> can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
>> anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
>> real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
>> majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
>> cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

> Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
> clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
> chef. He used it in his restaurant.
>
> As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
> makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
> used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
> end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
> and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
> Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from
> reliable
> sources.

Ice cream is cooked?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> cathy > wrote:
>
>> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
>> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
>> extract, not the real thing.
>>
>> Does it exist?
>>
>> Cathy

> Make your own. :-)
>
> Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
> cabinet for 6 months.

Won't it turn brown?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

cathy wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2005 15:11:57 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>

> >cathy wrote:
> >> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> >> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> >> extract, not the real thing.
> >>
> >> Does it exist?

> >I'd be very suspicious.
> >
> >And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
> >imitation/artificial flavoring.
> >
> >In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
> >can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
> >anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
> >real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
> >majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
> >cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.
> >
> >Merriam Webster
> >
> >van·il·lin
> >
> >noun
> >
> > : a crystalline phenolic aldehyde C 8 H 8 O 3 that is extracted from
> >vanilla beans or prepared synthetically and is used especially in
> >flavoring and in perfumery
> >
> >Sheldon Van Nillin

> Well, I'm thinking specifically about cake frostings. I made a red
> velvet cake yesterday with a cream cheese frosting, which called for 2
> teaspoons of vanilla. So instead of a pure, glaringly white frosting
> (which is what I wanted in contrasted to the red of the cake) I had a
> sort of pale beige frosting. Tastes fine, but the color contrast isn't
> there. It occurred to me that a clear vanilla extract would be just
> the thing for a frosting like this.
>
> But I really really dislike using the imitation stuff. You're right,
> Sheldon, you can't taste the difference if it's been heated, but
> straight into a frosting, well, I =can= tell the difference. There's
> something....chemical-y tasting about artificial vanilla, it's almost
> kind of metallic, and I just don't want that flavor in my frosting.
> Hence hte need for clear.
>
> So....does it exist?

Not to my knowledge. I don't think there is any way to produce a
tincture of vanilla bean and end up with anything clear... however
there may be some way to 'bleach' vanilla extract... but I'd think that
kinda does away with that word "pure".... not that there is anything
approaching pure vanilla about vanilla extract.

Were it me I'd make up a big batch of vanilla sugar... infuse a couple
pounds powdered sugar with a couple vanilla beans for a couple weeks...
now you have pure sugar embued with pure vanilla, doesn't get any more
pure. Keep in mind that the taste of vanilla should never be so
powerful it tastes artificial... just as with fine parfume whenever
using vanilla always use less rather than more.

You can also purchase vanilla powder.

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/deta...=1133221311587

http://tinyurl.com/8ck9k

Of course for a perfectly white frosting professional bakers might use
vanilla fondant... Baker's Catalog has it in two pound lots.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > cathy > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> >> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> >> extract, not the real thing.
> >>
> >> Does it exist?
> >>
> >> Cathy

> > Make your own. :-)
> >
> > Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
> > cabinet for 6 months.

> Won't it turn brown?

Of course... and it'll be flavored vodka, not pure vanilla extract.
And why 6 vanilla beans... seemed like a good number, eh.... those
beans are worth twice the vodka.... but wastes the beans and more
importantly wastes the vodka.

Sheldon Riga

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

aem wrote:
> Jude wrote:
> >
> > I've been told - never verified it though (go ahead, google it, i'm too
> > lazy) that one source of vanillan is the ponderosa pine tree. (They're
> > the big, tall pines that only have branches way up near the top, the
> > lower ones fall off as the grow - like a loblolly pine - and the bark
> > hsa huge crack in it so you can see the wood underneath.)
> >
> > If you ever have a chance, step up close and bury your nose in the
> > openings of the bark. Smells like a bottle of pure vanilla. [snip]

> I think Ponderosa pine smells like butterscotch.

Nah... smells like Uranus.

Sheldon Pinesol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > cathy > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> >> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> >> extract, not the real thing.
> >>
> >> Does it exist?
> >>
> >> Cathy

> > Make your own. :-)
> >
> > Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
> > cabinet for 6 months.

> Won't it turn brown?

Uh, it's supposed to.....
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kanter wrote:

> >> I'd be very suspicious.
> >>
> >> And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
> >> imitation/artificial flavoring.
> >>
> >> In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
> >> can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
> >> anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
> >> real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
> >> majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
> >> cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

> > Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
> > clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
> > chef. He used it in his restaurant.
> >
> > As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
> > makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
> > used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
> > end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
> > and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
> > Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from
> > reliable
> > sources.
> >

> Ice cream is cooked?

He's tawkin' that Canuck Crap... the worst ice cream on the planet.

That friggin' french custard crap is cooked... it's not ice cream...
it's disgusting.

Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe

ingredients
Heavy Cream
Cane Sugar
Vanilla

method
Freeze

That's it!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
> > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message

> > > Make your own. :-)
> > >
> > > Drop 6 vanilla beans into a bottle of vodka and stick it under the
> > > cabinet for 6 months.

> > Won't it turn brown?
> >

> Uh, it's supposed to.....

Uh, didn't you READ the original post... the OP wants CLEAR vanilla
extract... otherwise why [the ****] are we here?!?!? dUh

Sheldon SubjLine

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Dopey Dave Smith wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > CAthy writes:
> > > Does it exist?

> > I'd be very suspicious.
> >
> > And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
> > imitation/artificial flavoring.
> >
> > In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
> > can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
> > anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
> > real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
> > majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
> > cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

> Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
> clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
> chef. He used it in his restaurant.
>
> As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
> makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
> used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
> end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
> and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
> Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from reliable
> sources.

That's not ice cream... frozen custard is NOT ice cream, you dumb
Canuck douche bag.

You got a friend in the Dominican Republic... who gives a shit...
tomorrow you'll tell us a fairy tale about your friend in New Guinea.
You're a no good lying *******, but then you're a Canuck... you're all
liars, you ****ing hocky puck.

And you obviously have no formal education, otherwise you'd know that
citing ones assertions with verifiable references is um, academic.

You and your asshole buddys only wish you could have attended all the
USN culinary schools I did... obviously yoose all JEALOUS... they're by
FAR the very best culinary schools on the planet.... that's why I can
cook and you and your asshole buddys can't cook. Yoose couldn't get a
job as a burger flipper.... in fact yoose so dumb a spatula has a
higher IQ.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >,
"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

> Ice cream is cooked?

Yes, you make a custard and then freeze that.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >,

>> > Won't it turn brown?
>> >

>> Uh, it's supposed to.....

> Uh, didn't you READ the original post... the OP wants CLEAR vanilla
> extract... otherwise why [the ****] are we here?!?!? dUh
>
> Sheldon SubjLine

Right....what puss-wad said. The OP wants clear vanilla stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

Although it might cost something like thirty-seven cents for a phonecall,
one could visit this web site, find a phone number, and speak to someone who
knows what the phuque they're talking about.

http://www.kfl.com/van.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
stitcher

cathy wrote:
> Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> extract, not the real thing.
>
> Does it exist?
>
> Cathy

I know that vanilla sugar has been suggested, but what about
vanilla powder? Would that work for your recipe?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Doug Kanter wrote:

> Ice cream is cooked?

Yes. It starts with a cooked custard base that is then cooled off and frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Doug Kunter wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> Uh, it's supposed to.....

> > Uh, didn't you READ the original post... the OP wants CLEAR vanilla
> > extract... otherwise why [the ****] are we here?!?!? dUh
> >
> > Sheldon SubjLine
> >

> Right....what puss-wad said. The OP wants _clear vanilla stuff_.

I got yer wad... all natural too... right up your dougy kunter! <G>

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Sheldon wrote:

> > Take this information for what it is worth. The friend who brought me
> > clear pure vanilla extract from the Dominican Republic is an accomplished
> > chef. He used it in his restaurant.
> >
> > As for cooked dishes..... our resident navy cook has suggested that it
> > makes no difference in cooked dishes and but that the real stuff should be
> > used in cooked dishes. Ice cream is cooked. Vanilla is not added at the
> > end, as it is in puddings. It is cooked along with the cream, milk, sugar
> > and eggs. So that just provides more proof that the only advice from
> > Shelon that can be counted on is the stuff he cuts and pastes from reliable
> > sources.

> That's not ice cream... frozen custard is NOT ice cream, you dumb
> Canuck douche bag.

Frozen custard has more egg than ice cream. Very few recipes for ice cream are
made without egg.

> You got a friend in the Dominican Republic... who gives a shit...
> tomorrow you'll tell us a fairy tale about your friend in New Guinea.

I have a friend in the Dominican?
I didn't know that. I wrote that I have a friend who brings clear vanilla extract
back from there on his vacations. He lives in my town and runs a very nice
restaurant. He uses that clear vanilla extract in some of his desserts.

> And you obviously have no formal education, otherwise you'd know that
> citing ones assertions with verifiable references is um, academic.

Oh? I am well aware of the use of cites to indicate verifiable references. That
has a lot to do with why I said that the only information posted by you that can
be counted on is the stuff that you cut and pasted from reliable sources. Perhaps
I should cite some other posters in here who have expressed that same opinion.

> You and your asshole buddys only wish you could have attended all the
> USN culinary schools I did... obviously yoose all JEALOUS... they're by
> FAR the very best culinary schools on the planet....

I will grant you that they are the best that you attended. Is that were you
learned the taboo on cheese or mushrooms with fish? I guess there isn't much
call for a nice bonne femme sauce on USN ships when there is burgers and fries on
the menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Dave Smith wrote:
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
> > Ice cream is cooked?

> Yes. It starts with a cooked custard base that is then cooled off and frozen.

Only that stinkin' froggy french/canuck frozen dessert consists of a
cooked custard, which really isn't ice cream anyway... it's no more ice
cream than frozen pudding... the vast, vast majority of the world's ice
creams are uncooked.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article om>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,

> > > Won't it turn brown?
> > >

> > Uh, it's supposed to.....

> Uh, didn't you READ the original post... the OP wants CLEAR vanilla
> extract... otherwise why [the ****] are we here?!?!? dUh
>
> Sheldon SubjLine

Clear, to me, means translucent.
They did not say "Colorless".

I don't think it's possible to have a colorless vanilla extract and have
it be "real".

It just does not work that way IMHO.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Kanter

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Doug Kanter wrote:
>
>> Ice cream is cooked?

> Yes. It starts with a cooked custard base that is then cooled off and
> frozen.

All ice cream?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:27:04 GMT, cathy >
wrote:

>Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
>found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
>extract, not the real thing.
>
>Does it exist?
>
>Cathy

Wish I had seen theis post before heading south of the border today.
One of the businesses we visit has this. I will have to look and see
if it is real/artificial.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ensenadajim

On 28 Nov 2005 16:11:03 -0800, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Sheldon Pinesol

You need to gargle with it, shelliebabie.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Doug Kanter wrote:

> >> Ice cream is cooked?

> > Yes. It starts with a cooked custard base that is then cooled off and
> > frozen.
> >

> All ice cream?

There are some recipes for ice cream that use whipping cream without any
milk, or use some condensed milk. The vast majority is made from a custard
base.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

ensenadajim wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> >Sheldon Pinesol

> You need to gargle with it.

Your WOP momma needs to douche with it.

Sheldon Kevlar

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pete C.

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article om>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> > > Uh, it's supposed to.....

> > Uh, didn't you READ the original post... the OP wants CLEAR vanilla
> > extract... otherwise why [the ****] are we here?!?!? dUh
> >
> > Sheldon SubjLine
> >

> Clear, to me, means translucent.
> They did not say "Colorless".
>
> I don't think it's possible to have a colorless vanilla extract and have
> it be "real".
>
> It just does not work that way IMHO.
> --
> Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack Nicholson

I think you mean "transparent", translucent would not generally be
considered "clear".

Pete C.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy1

Sheldon wrote:
> cathy wrote:
> > Is there such a thing as clear pure vanilla extract? I googled it and
> > found several but they all seem to be imitation or artifical vanilla
> > extract, not the real thing.
> >
> > Does it exist?

> I'd be very suspicious.
>
> And it wouldn't be imitation/artificial extract... it would be
> imitation/artificial flavoring.
>
> In dishes where vanilla gets heated modern imitation vanilla flavoring
> can't be differentiated from real vanilla extract, not by humans...
> anyone who claims they can detect the difference is lying. Save your
> real vanilla extract for things like whipped cream/ice cream, but the
> majority can't tell anyway, so if you have more dollars than brain
> cells go for it. For anything you cook/bake use fake.

You are absolutely correct, Shel, and the fact that humans can't tell
the difference has been pointed out many times on TV and in print.

I like to keep the clear fake stuff around because it makes a great
mosquito and gnat repellant in the summer and it doesn't show when I
pat it on my face or on my arms, like the colored stuff does.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > Doug Kanter wrote:
> >
> > > Ice cream is cooked?

> > Yes. It starts with a cooked custard base that is then cooled off and

frozen.

> Only that stinkin' froggy french/canuck frozen dessert consists of a
> cooked custard, which really isn't ice cream anyway... it's no more ice
> cream than frozen pudding... the vast, vast majority of the world's ice
> creams are uncooked.

There's more cheap arsed, own brand, stupid market and saver store brands of
cooked custard ice cream than quality non-custard types I'd wager.

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Pan Ohco

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:42:40 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> I guess there isn't much
>call for a nice bonne femme sauce on USN ships when there is burgers and fries on
>the menu.

On a destroyer escort in the early sixties, the sauce was ketchup, the
burgers were canned during WWII, and there were no fries (ship rolled
too much to have a fryer).