??????

Default Vanilla extract

Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
effort worth it and what's the recipe?

Thanks-

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "??????" > wrote:

> Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> effort worth it and what's the recipe?
>
> Thanks-

I've got a couple vanilla beans sitting in some brandy -- been at least
a couple months. Smells like booze, not vanilla. Recipe? Hmmmm, I had
a cool bottle (*maybe* 8 oz capacity) that I put the beans in and filled
it with some brandy. Entirely possible I'm not doing something right
with it; I'm not impressed.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 10-22-04; Popovers!.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Gregory Morrow

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "??????" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was

the
> > effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >
> > Thanks-

> I've got a couple vanilla beans sitting in some brandy -- been at least
> a couple months. Smells like booze, not vanilla. Recipe? Hmmmm, I had
> a cool bottle (*maybe* 8 oz capacity) that I put the beans in and filled
> it with some brandy. Entirely possible I'm not doing something right
> with it; I'm not impressed.

Well drink that brandy, mayhaps you'll change yer mind...

;---p

--
Best
Greg

zxcvbob

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> ;---p

Why the long face?

Best regards,
Bob
Gregory Morrow

zxcvbob wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> >
> > ;---p
> >

> Why the long face?

It's a long noze...kinda like Pinocchio's...

--
Best
Greg

PENMART01

>Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
>effort worth it and what's the recipe?

Why bother... economically it's a big loser... and won't be near as fine as the
commercial stuff. And anyhow, with modern vanilla flavoring there is no reason
to use natural vanilla except in dishes where it won't be heated.... a total
waste of money to use natural vanilla in baked goods, save it for desserts like
ice/whipped creams. Modern vanilla flavoring withstand the heat from cooking
better than natural vanilla. I no longer use "real" vanilla for baking,
instead I savor a few drops in melon smoothies.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Janet Bostwick

"??????" > wrote in message ...
> Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> effort worth it and what's the recipe?
>
> Thanks-

I tried it years ago, and wasn't impressed as the stuff still smelled and
tasted like booze. I suspect that the 'recipe' is lacking in enough beans.
I have a recipe for Kahlua that calls for mixing the ingredients and then
adding a bean or two and allowing the mixture to stand for 30 days. I'm
always rushed at holiday time so I decided to get an extra fifth of vodka at
Christmas, add two beans to it and let it sit until next Christmas. This
works out much better. Each year I just add two more beans to the
bottle(bottle full of beans) and fill the bottle with vodka and I'm getting
some mellow tasting vodka now that I just add to the Kahlua recipe to taste,
but it still doesn't remind me of the more rounded, complex taste of
store-bought vanilla extract although the aroma is very similar. I do slit
the beans. For Kahlua you definitely do want to use the real beans, or at
least real vanilla extract. The imitation vanilla has a nasty taste and
smell in the finished product, like Mounds candy bars or something. Ack!
Janet

PENMART01

> (Naomi Darvell) writes:
>
>Overall, I think a good store-bought extract will work better than most
>homemade ones. But stay away from the synthetic stuff; use real vanilla!

That's no longer true. Human sensory perception is incapable of detecting any
difference between modern vanilla flavoring and natural vanilla... and in fact
the flavoring holds up better to cooking heat... of course if you're the sort
with more dollars than brain cells, and thinks snobbishness is Kew-L...

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Janet Bostwick

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> (Naomi Darvell) writes:
>>
>>Overall, I think a good store-bought extract will work better than most
>>homemade ones. But stay away from the synthetic stuff; use real vanilla!

> That's no longer true. Human sensory perception is incapable of detecting
> any
> difference between modern vanilla flavoring and natural vanilla... and in
> fact
> the flavoring holds up better to cooking heat... of course if you're the
> sort
> with more dollars than brain cells, and thinks snobbishness is Kew-L...
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

I agree with you about the imitation vanilla flavor standing up well in
items that are heated. But the imitation stuff that I have tried in
uncooked items seems to have an off flavor in the finished product(using
name brands). Perhaps there are different methods of imitation vanilla
production that make up with ultimately different flavors? Or maybe the
imitation vanilla reacts adversely with certain components of the recipe? I
detect a coconutty aroma and taste.
Janet

Janet Bostwick

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> (Naomi Darvell) writes:
>>
>>Overall, I think a good store-bought extract will work better than most
>>homemade ones. But stay away from the synthetic stuff; use real vanilla!

> That's no longer true. Human sensory perception is incapable of detecting
> any
> difference between modern vanilla flavoring and natural vanilla... and in
> fact
> the flavoring holds up better to cooking heat... of course if you're the
> sort
> with more dollars than brain cells, and thinks snobbishness is Kew-L...
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

I agree with you about the imitation vanilla flavor standing up well in
items that are heated. But the imitation stuff that I have tried in
uncooked items seems to have an off flavor in the finished product(using
name brands). Perhaps there are different methods of imitation vanilla
production that make up with ultimately different flavors? Or maybe the
imitation vanilla reacts adversely with certain components of the recipe? I
detect a coconutty aroma and taste.
Janet

Dave Smith

Naomi Darvell wrote:

> As you know, I have more money than God and I love to waste it. Also, I'm an
> incurable snob. So of course I only buy genuine products.

I am very happy for you that you have so much money. Personally, I am hoping the
price of real vanilla extract comes back down. I use a lot of it because I make
my own ice cream and each batch calls for 2 Tblsp. of it. I used to by it 475
ml. bottles of it for $12.95. When there was a discussion here a few months ago
about the price increase I checked it at the grocery store and that same size
was $23.95. Last week I had a look and it was $26.95. Luckily, my bother had
been given a few bottles of good vanilla extract by some people who had been
down to the islands and she gave them to me. I figure I have enough on hand for
at least a year, so I may have to start saving up to replace it then.

Dave Smith

Naomi Darvell wrote:

> As you know, I have more money than God and I love to waste it. Also, I'm an
> incurable snob. So of course I only buy genuine products.

I am very happy for you that you have so much money. Personally, I am hoping the
price of real vanilla extract comes back down. I use a lot of it because I make
my own ice cream and each batch calls for 2 Tblsp. of it. I used to by it 475
ml. bottles of it for $12.95. When there was a discussion here a few months ago
about the price increase I checked it at the grocery store and that same size
was $23.95. Last week I had a look and it was $26.95. Luckily, my bother had
been given a few bottles of good vanilla extract by some people who had been
down to the islands and she gave them to me. I figure I have enough on hand for
at least a year, so I may have to start saving up to replace it then.

The Joneses

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "??????" > wrote in message ...
> > Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> > effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >

> I tried it years ago, and wasn't impressed as the stuff still smelled and
> tasted like booze. I suspect that the 'recipe' is lacking in enough beans.
> I have a recipe for Kahlua that calls for mixing the ingredients and then
> adding a bean or two and allowing the mixture to stand for 30 days. I'm
> always rushed at holiday time so I decided to get an extra fifth of vodka at
> Christmas, add two beans to it and let it sit until next Christmas. This
> works out much better. Each year I just add two more beans to the
> bottle(bottle full of beans) and fill the bottle with vodka and I'm getting
> some mellow tasting vodka now that I just add to the Kahlua recipe to taste,
> but it still doesn't remind me of the more rounded, complex taste of
> store-bought vanilla extract although the aroma is very similar. I do slit
> the beans. For Kahlua you definitely do want to use the real beans, or at
> least real vanilla extract. The imitation vanilla has a nasty taste and
> smell in the finished product, like Mounds candy bars or something. Ack!
> Janet

I just bought Contemporary Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices : Seasonings for the
Global Kitchen_ by Tony Hill. I been waiting for it to come out for months. It
has a delicious sounding recipe for coffee liquor that uses vanilla beans-seeded
& chopped into 1/4 inch pieces. After 2 weeks they've pretty much dissolved as
the recipe said they would. The stuff still tastes harsh, but it's supposed to
age for at least another 6 months. Will report later...
Edrena

Kate Connally

?????? wrote:

> Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> effort worth it and what's the recipe?
>
> Thanks-

The "recipe" I've used in the past was to put a couple
of vanilla beans in a pint jar of vodka. I like to chop
them into 1" pieces so more surface is exposed. Let sit
a couple of months before using. Trouble is you have to
use quite a bit more to get the same amount of flavor - say
1 T. if the recipe calls for 1 t.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Del Cecchi

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "??????" > wrote in message

> > Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was

the
> > effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >
> > Thanks-
> >

> I tried it years ago, and wasn't impressed as the stuff still smelled and
> tasted like booze. I suspect that the 'recipe' is lacking in enough

beans.
> I have a recipe for Kahlua that calls for mixing the ingredients and then
> adding a bean or two and allowing the mixture to stand for 30 days. I'm
> always rushed at holiday time so I decided to get an extra fifth of vodka

at
> Christmas, add two beans to it and let it sit until next Christmas. This
> works out much better. Each year I just add two more beans to the
> bottle(bottle full of beans) and fill the bottle with vodka and I'm

getting
> some mellow tasting vodka now that I just add to the Kahlua recipe to

taste,
> but it still doesn't remind me of the more rounded, complex taste of
> store-bought vanilla extract although the aroma is very similar. I do

slit
> the beans. For Kahlua you definitely do want to use the real beans, or at
> least real vanilla extract. The imitation vanilla has a nasty taste and
> smell in the finished product, like Mounds candy bars or something. Ack!
> Janet

In a recent taste-off, the golden tongues of Cooks Illustrated seemed to
prefer the fake to the natural.... Probably one of those things that have
to be done double-blind if you really want to know.

There is a government standard for Vanilla Extract. the FDA requires a
minimum of 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans to a gallon of a minimum of 35%
alcohol to 65% water mixture. So you do need plenty of beans.

del cecchi

Janet Bostwick

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message

> In a recent taste-off, the golden tongues of Cooks Illustrated seemed to
> prefer the fake to the natural.... Probably one of those things that have
> to be done double-blind if you really want to know.
>
> There is a government standard for Vanilla Extract. the FDA requires a
> minimum of 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans to a gallon of a minimum of 35%
> alcohol to 65% water mixture. So you do need plenty of beans.
>
> del cecchi

There must be something wrong with my taste buds. The taste that I am
talking about is offensive enough to me that I can't eat or drink whatever
uncooked stuff was made with the imitation vanilla.
Janet

Dave Smith

Naomi Darvell wrote:

> Seriously, herbs and spices are a huge part of my food budget although I buy in
> bulk. I do not use much vanilla or I would be complaining about the price too.
> I still don't think I would bother with fake vanilla, though.

If you use any amount of spices they are much cheaper in bulk. I am always
astounded by the price of those small bottles in the grocery store. I have tries
artificial vanilla, and for the small difference in price (in small amounts) it is
hardly worth it. A few nights ago I had a piece of Tiramisu in a restaurant.
Having a sponge cake base instead of Lady Fingers was not a major problem, and it
would have been batter with a proper filling made with Marscapone and eggs instead
of pastry cream, but the biggest problem was the artificial rum flavouring. If
restaurants are going to charge for a piece of Tirimisu as if it was the real
thing, the least they can do is but a shot of real booze in it.

Katra

In article >, "??????" > wrote:

> Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> effort worth it and what's the recipe?
>
> Thanks-

Yes... and it's quite easy. :-)
Get a 750 ml. bottle of either grain alchohol (everclear) or
just a good grade of high proof Vodka.

Drop a couple of vanilla beans into it and stick it into a dark cabinet
for about 60 months or so.

It works great!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >, "??????" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> > effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >
> > Thanks-

> I've got a couple vanilla beans sitting in some brandy -- been at least
> a couple months. Smells like booze, not vanilla. Recipe? Hmmmm, I had
> a cool bottle (*maybe* 8 oz capacity) that I put the beans in and filled
> it with some brandy. Entirely possible I'm not doing something right
> with it; I'm not impressed.

Not long enough.... and Brandy is usually only about 40 proof. :-)
The higher the proof, the better it works.

Making vanilla sugar is supposed to work pretty well, but I've never
tried that.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article . net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
> > Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > >
> > > ;---p
> > >

> > Why the long face?

> It's a long noze...kinda like Pinocchio's...

Must have been talking to Cinderella...

Joke:

Why did Cinderella get kicked out of Fairy Tale Land?

She was caugh sitting on Pinocchio's face yelling "Lie to Me!!!"

K.
--
Sprout the MungBean to reply
arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather

zxcvbob

Katra wrote:
> In article >, "??????" > wrote:
>

>>Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
>>effort worth it and what's the recipe?
>>
>>Thanks-
>>

> Yes... and it's quite easy. :-)
> Get a 750 ml. bottle of either grain alchohol (everclear) or
> just a good grade of high proof Vodka.
>
> Drop a couple of vanilla beans into it and stick it into a dark cabinet
> for about 60 months or so.
>
> It works great!
>
> K.

I'd probably use a high-proof bourbon or Tennesee whiskey (somewhere
between 90 and 110 proof) rather than vodka or brandy, and use a pint
bottle rather than a 750 so the extract will be stronger without having
to buy so dang many vanilla beans. Drink a little of the whiskey to
make some room in the bottle, and stuff in a few split vanilla beans and
let them steep for a few months.

It's a lot easier to just buy an 8-ounce bottle of decent imitation
vanilla, and a little bottle of real vanilla to use in the few things
where it makes a difference.

Bob
Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Naomi Darvell wrote:
>

> > As you know, I have more money than God and I love to waste it. Also, I'm
> > an
> > incurable snob. So of course I only buy genuine products.
> >

> I am very happy for you that you have so much money. Personally, I am hoping
> the
> price of real vanilla extract comes back down. I use a lot of it because I
> make
> my own ice cream and each batch calls for 2 Tblsp. of it. I used to by it 475
> ml. bottles of it for $12.95. When there was a discussion here a few months
> ago
> about the price increase I checked it at the grocery store and that same size
> was $23.95. Last week I had a look and it was $26.95. Luckily, my bother had
> been given a few bottles of good vanilla extract by some people who had been
> down to the islands and she gave them to me. I figure I have enough on hand
> for
> at least a year, so I may have to start saving up to replace it then.

Go to Mexico.

Seriously.......

unless you want to try that home made recipe. It really does work if you
are patient. If you use that much, start a bottle now and stuff 3 to 6
sliced beans into it, and start a new one about every 6 months.

If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
extract and just use whole vanilla bean!

Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
add that directly to your recipe.

It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
dreamed of doing. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Naomi Darvell wrote:
>

> > As you know, I have more money than God and I love to waste it. Also, I'm
> > an
> > incurable snob. So of course I only buy genuine products.
> >

> I am very happy for you that you have so much money. Personally, I am hoping
> the
> price of real vanilla extract comes back down. I use a lot of it because I
> make
> my own ice cream and each batch calls for 2 Tblsp. of it. I used to by it 475
> ml. bottles of it for $12.95. When there was a discussion here a few months
> ago
> about the price increase I checked it at the grocery store and that same size
> was $23.95. Last week I had a look and it was $26.95. Luckily, my bother had
> been given a few bottles of good vanilla extract by some people who had been
> down to the islands and she gave them to me. I figure I have enough on hand
> for
> at least a year, so I may have to start saving up to replace it then.

Go to Mexico.

Seriously.......

unless you want to try that home made recipe. It really does work if you
are patient. If you use that much, start a bottle now and stuff 3 to 6
sliced beans into it, and start a new one about every 6 months.

If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
extract and just use whole vanilla bean!

Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
add that directly to your recipe.

It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
dreamed of doing. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
>
> > In a recent taste-off, the golden tongues of Cooks Illustrated seemed to
> > prefer the fake to the natural.... Probably one of those things that have
> > to be done double-blind if you really want to know.
> >
> > There is a government standard for Vanilla Extract. the FDA requires a
> > minimum of 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans to a gallon of a minimum of 35%
> > alcohol to 65% water mixture. So you do need plenty of beans.
> >
> > del cecchi

> There must be something wrong with my taste buds. The taste that I am
> talking about is offensive enough to me that I can't eat or drink whatever
> uncooked stuff was made with the imitation vanilla.
> Janet

It's probably genetic (just like the argument that crops up from time to
time about the taste of Cilantro). I cannot stand artificial vanilla
either. It's just plain gross!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Janet Bostwick

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
snip>
> I'd probably use a high-proof bourbon or Tennesee whiskey (somewhere
> between 90 and 110 proof) rather than vodka or brandy, and use a pint
> bottle rather than a 750 so the extract will be stronger without having to
> buy so dang many vanilla beans. Drink a little of the whiskey to make
> some room in the bottle, and stuff in a few split vanilla beans and let
> them steep for a few months.
>
> It's a lot easier to just buy an 8-ounce bottle of decent imitation
> vanilla, and a little bottle of real vanilla to use in the few things
> where it makes a difference.
>
> Bob

I like your rationalization--drink a little so there's room for the beans.
Snort!! You can drop those skinny little beans in the bottle without
removing any liquid, but I won't tell. ;o}
Janet

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Katra > said:

<snip>

> If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
> extract and just use whole vanilla bean!
>
> Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
> of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
> add that directly to your recipe.
>
> It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
> dreamed of doing. :-)

I haven't made ice cream for quite a while, but this sounds good;
I'll have to try it this summer. Makes sense, as my favorite flavor
of store bought ice cream is Breyer's "Vanilla Bean"...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Katra > said:

<snip>

> If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
> extract and just use whole vanilla bean!
>
> Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
> of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
> add that directly to your recipe.
>
> It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
> dreamed of doing. :-)

I haven't made ice cream for quite a while, but this sounds good;
I'll have to try it this summer. Makes sense, as my favorite flavor
of store bought ice cream is Breyer's "Vanilla Bean"...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Janet Bostwick

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>
>> "Del Cecchi" > wrote in message
>>
>> > In a recent taste-off, the golden tongues of Cooks Illustrated seemed
>> > prefer the fake to the natural.... Probably one of those things that
>> > have
>> > to be done double-blind if you really want to know.
>> >
>> > There is a government standard for Vanilla Extract. the FDA requires
>> > minimum of 13.35 ounces of vanilla beans to a gallon of a minimum of
>> > 35%
>> > alcohol to 65% water mixture. So you do need plenty of beans.
>> >
>> > del cecchi

>> There must be something wrong with my taste buds. The taste that I am
>> talking about is offensive enough to me that I can't eat or drink
>> whatever
>> uncooked stuff was made with the imitation vanilla.
>> Janet
>>

> It's probably genetic (just like the argument that crops up from time to
> time about the taste of Cilantro). I cannot stand artificial vanilla
> either. It's just plain gross!
>
> K.

must be, because it's really obvious to me.
Janet

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Go to Mexico.
>
> Seriously.......

I have some Mexican vanilla extract. It's powerful stuff. I have spoiled a few things
using it but eventually learned to cut back to about a/4 what the recipe calls for
when using that stuff.

> unless you want to try that home made recipe. It really does work if you
> are patient. If you use that much, start a bottle now and stuff 3 to 6
> sliced beans into it, and start a new one about every 6 months.

The last time I bought vanilla beans around here they were about $3 each, and that was
before the price increase. I was lucky enough to have a good supply of them that a
nephew brought back from Africa.

> If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
> extract and just use whole vanilla bean!

The recipe I call for calls for 2 Tblsp. vanilla extract for the basic custard mix and
then a vanilla pod for the deluxe vanilla. I simmer the bean in the milk and cream
mixture, then split it and scrape out the seeds. It does make a big difference.

> Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
> of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
> add that directly to your recipe.
>
> It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
> dreamed of doing. :-)

Sounds good, but I still need the beans to do it :-( I am on an eternal quest for
affordable, tasty vanilla beans.

Dave Smith

Katra wrote:

> Go to Mexico.
>
> Seriously.......

I have some Mexican vanilla extract. It's powerful stuff. I have spoiled a few things
using it but eventually learned to cut back to about a/4 what the recipe calls for
when using that stuff.

> unless you want to try that home made recipe. It really does work if you
> are patient. If you use that much, start a bottle now and stuff 3 to 6
> sliced beans into it, and start a new one about every 6 months.

The last time I bought vanilla beans around here they were about $3 each, and that was
before the price increase. I was lucky enough to have a good supply of them that a
nephew brought back from Africa.

> If you are making ice cream with it tho', you can actually forego using
> extract and just use whole vanilla bean!

The recipe I call for calls for 2 Tblsp. vanilla extract for the basic custard mix and
then a vanilla pod for the deluxe vanilla. I simmer the bean in the milk and cream
mixture, then split it and scrape out the seeds. It does make a big difference.

> Slice the bean in half and scrape out the pulp, then mince what is left
> of the bean very fine. Add that to a little brandy to thin it out then
> add that directly to your recipe.
>
> It will yield a FAR better and more intense flavor than any extract ever
> dreamed of doing. :-)

Sounds good, but I still need the beans to do it :-( I am on an eternal quest for
affordable, tasty vanilla beans.

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "Janet Bostwick" > said:
> "Katra" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

<snip>

> >> There must be something wrong with my taste buds. The taste that I am
> >> talking about is offensive enough to me that I can't eat or drink
> >> whatever
> >> uncooked stuff was made with the imitation vanilla.

> > It's probably genetic (just like the argument that crops up from time to
> > time about the taste of Cilantro). I cannot stand artificial vanilla
> > either. It's just plain gross!

> must be, because it's really obvious to me.

I, OTOH, can't taste the difference, so I use the imitation
stuff in things that are baked and save the real extract for
non-baked goods or for people that I really like... ;-)

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article . net>,
> "Gregory Morrow" >
> wrote:
>
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> > > Why the long face?

> > It's a long noze...kinda like Pinocchio's...

> Must have been talking to Cinderella...
>
> Joke:
>
> Why did Cinderella get kicked out of Fairy Tale Land?
>
> She was caugh sitting on Pinocchio's face yelling "Lie to Me!!!"

Heehee... }8->

--
Best
Greg

Katra

In article >,
Katra > wrote:

> In article >, "??????" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> > effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >
> > Thanks-
> >

> Yes... and it's quite easy. :-)
> Get a 750 ml. bottle of either grain alchohol (everclear) or
> just a good grade of high proof Vodka.
>
> Drop a couple of vanilla beans into it and stick it into a dark cabinet
> for about 60 months or so.
>
> It works great!
>
> K.

Oops! That should have read 6 months or so, not 60!!!

Sorry!

K.
Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >, "??????" > wrote:
> >

> >>Anyone here ever attempt making thier own vanilla extract? If so, was the
> >>effort worth it and what's the recipe?
> >>
> >>Thanks-
> >>

> > Yes... and it's quite easy. :-)
> > Get a 750 ml. bottle of either grain alchohol (everclear) or
> > just a good grade of high proof Vodka.
> >
> > Drop a couple of vanilla beans into it and stick it into a dark cabinet
> > for about 6 months or so.
> >
> > It works great!
> >
> > K.

> I'd probably use a high-proof bourbon or Tennesee whiskey (somewhere
> between 90 and 110 proof) rather than vodka or brandy, and use a pint
> bottle rather than a 750 so the extract will be stronger without having
> to buy so dang many vanilla beans. Drink a little of the whiskey to
> make some room in the bottle, and stuff in a few split vanilla beans and
> let them steep for a few months.
>
> It's a lot easier to just buy an 8-ounce bottle of decent imitation
> vanilla, and a little bottle of real vanilla to use in the few things
> where it makes a difference.
>
> Bob

Or, as I posted later, just use the pure beans.
Split them and strip out the pulp.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...