Old 09-04-2015, 07:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can vanilla extract 'go bad'?

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2015 12:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

It's essentially booze so don't worry.
Graham

Old 09-04-2015, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 12:45:11 -0600, graham wrote:

On 09/04/2015 12:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

It's essentially booze so don't worry.
Graham

I would certainly think so.

John Kuthe...

---

Old 09-04-2015, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
wrote:

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I suspect open booze after five or ten years, but short of that you
should be fine.

J.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

if it's not the alcohol-free kind then you probably don't need to worry

Old 09-04-2015, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Not that I have ever seen or heard.
I have home made extract that is at least 4 years old now and it's
perfect.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

Not in my experience. I don't use it very quickly - not much of a
baker.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

--

sf
Old 09-04-2015, 10:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-09 2:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Vanilla extract will keep for years. It is mostly alcohol. My problem
with cheap vanilla is the taste. I can adjust to or for it, but we have
had a few that my wife really disliked. I once gave away about 12 oz of
Mexican vanilla that a friend from Texas had brought because my wife
disliked it so much. I gave it to her cousin who loved it.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Like Janet, I make my own, but with vodka. It lasts a long time.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 10:34:09 AM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

I buy the pure vanilla extract at Costco and it
comes in good size bottles (too lazy to get up
and look!) and it's dated. I bake a lot so go through
it pretty fast, so I've never been concerned about
using it all before the date expires.

If you don't use a lot of vanilla, I'd just buy
the smallest bottle I could find at the supermarket.

My rule of thumb I go by, is the smell, if it still
smells good, then I'd say it's fine, but if the smell
is starting to get weaker, or smells odd, dump it down
the sink and go get a new bottle. It seems that the
shelf life is quite awhile.

Judy
Old 14-04-2015, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 9:21:43 AM UTC-10, Judy wrote:
[...]

Costco is a great place to get vanilla extract. I tend to use a lot. The recipes from when I was learning to cook used vanilla in tiny amounts. The good news is that in this modern world, the trend is to use the stuff freely. Be bold and unafraid! :-)
Old 29-01-2016, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-09 18:34:05 +0000, Kalmia said:

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle
of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use
about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go
to waste.

I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it.
Should be ready by July.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Old 29-01-2016, 07:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-09 18:34:05 +0000, Kalmia said:

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle
of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use
about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go
to waste.

I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it. Should
be ready by July.

I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
and availability of vanilla in the modern age.
Old 29-01-2016, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-29, dsi1 wrote:

My use reflects the price and availability of vanilla in the modern
age.

Silly me.

My use reflects how the finished recipe tastes.

nb