Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can vanilla extract 'go bad'?

Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 09/04/2015 12:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

It's essentially booze so don't worry.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 12:45:11 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 09/04/2015 12:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>>
>> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.
>>

>It's essentially booze so don't worry.
>Graham

I would certainly think so.

John Kuthe...

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

I suspect open booze after five or ten years, but short of that you
should be fine.

J.

>I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

if it's not the alcohol-free kind then you probably don't need to worry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
>I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Not that I have ever seen or heard.
I have home made extract that is at least 4 years old now and it's
perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.

Not in my experience. I don't use it very quickly - not much of a
baker.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-09 2:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

Vanilla extract will keep for years. It is mostly alcohol. My problem
with cheap vanilla is the taste. I can adjust to or for it, but we have
had a few that my wife really disliked. I once gave away about 12 oz of
Mexican vanilla that a friend from Texas had brought because my wife
disliked it so much. I gave it to her cousin who loved it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Like Janet, I make my own, but with vodka. It lasts a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 10:34:09 AM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

I buy the pure vanilla extract at Costco and it
comes in good size bottles (too lazy to get up
and look!) and it's dated. I bake a lot so go through
it pretty fast, so I've never been concerned about
using it all before the date expires.

If you don't use a lot of vanilla, I'd just buy
the smallest bottle I could find at the supermarket.

My rule of thumb I go by, is the smell, if it still
smells good, then I'd say it's fine, but if the smell
is starting to get weaker, or smells odd, dump it down
the sink and go get a new bottle. It seems that the
shelf life is quite awhile.

Judy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 9:21:43 AM UTC-10, Judy wrote:
> On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 10:34:09 AM UTC-8, Kalmia wrote:
> > Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use about 3 oz per year, if that.
> >
> > I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go to waste.

> I buy the pure vanilla extract at Costco and it
> comes in good size bottles (too lazy to get up
> and look!) and it's dated. I bake a lot so go through
> it pretty fast, so I've never been concerned about
> using it all before the date expires.
>
> If you don't use a lot of vanilla, I'd just buy
> the smallest bottle I could find at the supermarket.
>
> My rule of thumb I go by, is the smell, if it still
> smells good, then I'd say it's fine, but if the smell
> is starting to get weaker, or smells odd, dump it down
> the sink and go get a new bottle. It seems that the
> shelf life is quite awhile.
>
> Judy

Costco is a great place to get vanilla extract. I tend to use a lot. The recipes from when I was learning to cook used vanilla in tiny amounts. The good news is that in this modern world, the trend is to use the stuff freely. Be bold and unafraid! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2015-04-09 18:34:05 +0000, Kalmia said:

> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle
> of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use
> about 3 oz per year, if that.
>
> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go
> to waste.

I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it.
Should be ready by July.

Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2016 9:18 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> On 2015-04-09 18:34:05 +0000, Kalmia said:
>
>> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle
>> of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use
>> about 3 oz per year, if that.
>>
>> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go
>> to waste.

> I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it. Should
> be ready by July.

I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
and availability of vanilla in the modern age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-29, dsi1 > wrote:

> My use reflects the price and availability of vanilla in the modern
> age.

Silly me.

My use reflects how the finished recipe tastes.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2016 9:53 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2016-01-29, dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> My use reflects the price and availability of vanilla in the modern
>> age.

> Silly me.
>
> My use reflects how the finished recipe tastes.
>
> nb

Me too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:48:31 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 1/29/2016 9:18 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> On 2015-04-09 18:34:05 +0000, Kalmia said:
>>
>>> Maybe I was overwrought by the relatively low price for a huge bottle
>>> of vanilla - 8 oz - now I'm wondering if it'll go off. I probably use
>>> about 3 oz per year, if that.
>>>
>>> I also bought the 10 lb. King Arthur tho and I just KNOW that won't go
>>> to waste.

>> I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it. Should
>> be ready by July.
>>

>I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
>people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
>stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
>vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
>and availability of vanilla in the modern age.

And in particular the quality, if you feel the need to use that much
more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2016 10:03 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:48:31 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>>> I doubt the vanilla will go bad. I'm about to make a pint of it. Should
>>> be ready by July.
>>>

>> I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
>> people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
>> stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
>> vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
>> and availability of vanilla in the modern age.

> And in particular the quality, if you feel the need to use that much
> more.

The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:14:00 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 1/29/2016 10:03 AM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 09:48:31 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
>>> people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
>>> stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
>>> vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
>>> and availability of vanilla in the modern age.

>> And in particular the quality, if you feel the need to use that much
>> more.
>>

>The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
>homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
>happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/29/2016 10:33 AM, Je�us wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:14:00 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>>> And in particular the quality, if you feel the need to use that much
>>> more.
>>>

>> The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
>> homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
>> happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

> I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
> years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
> quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
> memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
> difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.

Madagascar, Tahiti, New Guinea. That's the stuff they sell on eBay. The
beans I used probably came from one of these places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:39:56 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 1/29/2016 10:33 AM, Je?us wrote:

>>> The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
>>> homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
>>> happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

>> I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
>> years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
>> quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
>> memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
>> difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.
>>

>Madagascar, Tahiti, New Guinea. That's the stuff they sell on eBay. The
>beans I used probably came from one of these places.

Yep, I bought mine through ebay - after some doing some research via
forums on sellers, quality, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 1/29/2016 1:58 PM, Janet wrote:
> > In article >,
says...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_extract
> > Janet UK
> >

> I bought a half-gallon of fake vanilla from Sam's Club. You can bet it
> was dirt cheap. I didn't find it to be usable.

I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
shake.
Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/01/2016 3:32 AM, Janet wrote:

> I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
> screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
> couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
> in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
> fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
> shake.
> Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.
>
> Janet UK

I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
but it smells good.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 06:57:31 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 30/01/2016 3:32 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
>> screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
>> couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
>> in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
>> fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
>> shake.
>> Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

>I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
>seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
>but it smells good.
>Graham

I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
vanilla ice cream.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> On 30/01/2016 3:32 AM, Janet wrote:
>
> > I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
> > screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
> > couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
> > in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
> > fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
> > shake.
> > Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.
> >
> > Janet UK
> >

> I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
> seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
> but it smells good.

I'm sure that's fun to do but as little vanilla extract as I use, I'll
just buy a small 2oz jar now and then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 2:34:12 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 10:14:00 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

> >> And in particular the quality, if you feel the need to use that much
> >> more.
> >>

> >The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
> >homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
> >happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

> I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
> years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
> quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
> memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
> difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.

Exactly like coffee, and every other plant based foods we eat. Except of course plant based foods which have been standardized by Big Agra as so many have!! :-( Big Agra, promarilly driven by FastFood and other big chain restaurants are obliterating the diversity of our food plant products!! :-(

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-30 9:54 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 06:57:31 -0700, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 30/01/2016 3:32 AM, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
>>> screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
>>> couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
>>> in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
>>> fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
>>> shake.
>>> Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.
>>>
>>> Janet UK
>>>

>> I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
>> seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
>> but it smells good.
>> Graham

> I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
> vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
> but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
> vanilla ice cream.

You have left me wondering why you would waste a premium whiskey like
Maker's Mark whose fine nuances are going to be overpowered by vanilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 06:57:31 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 30/01/2016 3:32 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
>> screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
>> couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
>> in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
>> fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
>> shake.
>> Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.
>>
>> Janet UK
>>

>I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
>seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
>but it smells good.
>Graham

Why do you remove the seeds, you're discarding the best part, most of
the vanilla flavor is in the seeds. If you don't want the seeds in
your extract strain them out at the end, and then use those macerated
seeds in some recipe like ice cream or pudding... you can use the
seeds in pancake/waffle batter, or simply bake them into a cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

> I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
> people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
> stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
> vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
> and availability of vanilla in the modern age.

Just like saffron vanilla can be over used... those what you call
"sissy measurements" haven't a whit to do with vanilla being
expensive... and in fact if the recipe will be heated like baking a
cake or in a cooked pudding it's wasteful to use real vanilla...
thanks to modern chemistry artificial vanilla flavoring can no longer
be differenciated from real vanilla when heated, even trained sniffer
dogs can't tell the difference, and most of the vanilla flavor one
detects is from it's aroma, not taste, which is why if one adds a
little too much the taste will be bitter. Save real vanilla for where
it's not heated, like ice cream/whipped cream, but don't over use it
or the dish can be ruined.... naturally those who can't tell they've
used too much are afflicted with TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 11:35:20 AM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
> >
> > I have a couple of 16oz bottles of the stuff. My recommendation is that
> > people use twice or more of the extract in recipes. I just pour that
> > stuff in a carefree manner. Those sissy measurements were based on
> > vanilla being a rare, expensive, substance. My use reflects the price
> > and availability of vanilla in the modern age.

> Just like saffron vanilla can be over used... those what you call
> "sissy measurements" haven't a whit to do with vanilla being
> expensive... and in fact if the recipe will be heated like baking a
> cake or in a cooked pudding it's wasteful to use real vanilla...
> thanks to modern chemistry artificial vanilla flavoring can no longer
> be differenciated from real vanilla when heated, even trained sniffer
> dogs can't tell the difference, and most of the vanilla flavor one
> detects is from it's aroma, not taste, which is why if one adds a
> little too much the taste will be bitter. Save real vanilla for where
> it's not heated, like ice cream/whipped cream, but don't over use it
> or the dish can be ruined.... naturally those who can't tell they've
> used too much are afflicted with TIAD.

Well Sheldon, you are dead ON with one thing, yes we pereive flavors more with our sense of smell than with our sense of taste. To demonstate this to my young son, I had him chew up a piece of raw onion while holding his nose, which he did and reported to me it tasted sweet! As long as he held his nose! Then when he released his nose and breathed through it, PTOOIE! He spit that formerly perceived as only sweet raw onion out in a heartbeat!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:53:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-01-30 9:54 AM, Doris Night wrote:

>>> I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
>>> seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
>>> but it smells good.
>>> Graham

>> I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
>> vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
>> but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
>> vanilla ice cream.

>You have left me wondering why you would waste a premium whiskey like
>Maker's Mark whose fine nuances are going to be overpowered by vanilla.

The same reason people use top shelf spirits for mixed drinks, they've
more dollars than functioning brain cells and/or TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:45:12 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Friday, January 29, 2016 at 2:34:12 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:

>> >The quality is the same as the stuff you get in the stores. I have some
>> >homemade extract that's been sitting around for several years. I'm not
>> >happy with it. I prefer the commercial stuff.

>> I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
>> years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
>> quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
>> memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
>> difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.

>Exactly like coffee, and every other plant based foods we eat. Except of course plant based foods which have been standardized by Big Agra as so many have!! :-( Big Agra, promarilly driven by FastFood and other big chain restaurants are obliterating the diversity of our food plant products!! :-(

Well... yes. But it doesnt necessarily have to be that way.
You don't *have* to participate in that system.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:32:33 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> I make my own and its the best ever. I save small glass bottles with a
>screw top (the sort used for a single serve of wine is OK); take a
>couple of pods, slit them end to end with a sharp knife and stuff them
>in the bottle. You may need to cut them in half so they fit in. Then
>fill the bottle with brandy (I also use up left-over sherry) seal and
>shake.
>Keep shaking it every couple of weeks ; it's ready in six months.

The last batch I made was with bourbon rather than 'vodka' (well, in
my case, ethanol). This time I put whole beans in instead of chopping
them up first and it seems to have come out just as good as my
previous batches with chopped beans. It's about 12 months old now, so
it's time to start using it... maybe it's time for some
vanilla/bourbon ice cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 09:54:21 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 06:57:31 -0700, graham > wrote:
>>>

>>I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
>>seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
>>but it smells good.
>>Graham

>I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
>vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
>but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
>vanilla ice cream.

Hah, exactly what I had in mind myself
Glad to hear this bourbon idea works well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:53:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2016-01-30 9:54 AM, Doris Night wrote:
>> I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
>> vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
>> but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
>> vanilla ice cream.

>You have left me wondering why you would waste a premium whiskey like
>Maker's Mark whose fine nuances are going to be overpowered by vanilla.

Why not?? It's not like it's a sacred substance.
It's only Maker's Mark...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 1:42:36 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:45:12 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> > wrote:

> >> I'm the other way around. We made approx. 3 litres of extract about 3
> >> years ago and it's the best vanilla extract I've ever had. I did do
> >> quite a bit of research on best beans to buy at the time (which from
> >> memory were from Papua New Guinea). The beans used does make a big
> >> difference. Much like with coffee beans, I suppose.

> >Exactly like coffee, and every other plant based foods we eat. Except of course plant based foods which have been standardized by Big Agra as so many have!! :-( Big Agra, promarilly driven by FastFood and other big chain restaurants are obliterating the diversity of our food plant products!! :-(

> Well... yes. But it doesnt necessarily have to be that way.
> You don't *have* to participate in that system.

Yeak, OK!! I suppose you think there are real "heirloom" seeds still available? You DO realise that's just an advertising gimmick now.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 12:06:53 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 1:42:36 PM UTC-6, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 07:45:12 -0800 (PST), John Kuthe
>> > wrote:

>> >Exactly like coffee, and every other plant based foods we eat. Except of course plant based foods which have been standardized by Big Agra as so many have!! :-( Big Agra, promarilly driven by FastFood and other big chain restaurants are obliterating the diversity of our food plant products!! :-(

>> Well... yes. But it doesnt necessarily have to be that way.
>> You don't *have* to participate in that system.

>Yeak, OK!! I suppose you think there are real "heirloom" seeds still available? You DO realise that's just an advertising gimmick now.

Bloody hell, John. No offence, but you just don't have a clue

You're still locked into 'consumer mode' apparently, and not thinking
outside that paradigm. Of course there are still heirloom seeds
available, and there's nothing wrong with many modern varieties of
seeds available that were bred naturally through selection.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:53:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2016-01-30 9:54 AM, Doris Night wrote:

> >> I've been putting the chopped up pieces of bean, after removing the
> >> seeds, into a jar of vodka for well over a year now. Have yet to use it
> >> but it smells good.
> >> Graham

> > I've got two 500 ml bottles steeping in my pantry right now. One with
> > vodka and one with Maker's Mark. I've made the bourbon kind before,
> > but with Jack Daniel's. It was *really* good. Especially in homemade
> > vanilla ice cream.

> You have left me wondering why you would waste a premium whiskey like
> Maker's Mark whose fine nuances are going to be overpowered by vanilla.

It always surprises me at how literal people can be. The bourbon of
bourbon vanilla doesn't mean bourbon whiskey is used. It is the name
of an island. Bourbon line of French kings, French occupation, ile
de Bourbon which is now known as le de Reunion.

sf