Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Preserving Garlic

i find that i cannot keep garlic from one season to the next . About 6
months is all i can do without it drying out.
Is it possible to freeze it .

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Andy Petro wrote:
> i find that i cannot keep garlic from one season to the next . About 6
> months is all i can do without it drying out.
> Is it possible to freeze it .

It can be frozen but it is not recommended to do so, look at :-

http://www.garlic-central.com/freezing.html

Posted to rec.food.preserving

GreenieLeBrun wrote:

> Andy Petro wrote:
> > i find that i cannot keep garlic from one season to the next . About 6
> > months is all i can do without it drying out.
> > Is it possible to freeze it .

> It can be frozen but it is not recommended to do so, look at :-
>
> http://www.garlic-central.com/freezing.html

It pickles very well - peel cloves, stuff in jars, pour over
vinegar+salt+herbs?, store in refrigerator for up to a year. Old garlic
might turn blue, but it's still good to eat.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"Andy Petro" > wrote:

> i find that i cannot keep garlic from one season to the next . About 6
> months is all i can do without it drying out.
> Is it possible to freeze it .

I've heard they sell garlic cubes frozen at Trader Joe's. I imagine
you could do the same at home, chop it and put it in water in ice cube
trays, then thaw to use. Or maybe even just peeled and floated in water
before you froze it. I'd try it and see, on a small scale, and if it
worked, that would be a way to keep them. Put the cubes in a freezer
bag once they're frozen.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:55:45 -0400, "Andy Petro"
> wrote:

>i find that i cannot keep garlic from one season to the next . About 6
>months is all i can do without it drying out.
>Is it possible to freeze it .

If you are growing your own there are some softnecks that will keep
near a year. Seed garlic selling sites have allot of info.