Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default Do I need to refrigerate pies?

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> It is Wednesday night at 10:30. One pumpkin pie and one apple pie
> have
> come out of the oven and cooled off. We know we need to refrigerate
> the
> pumpkin one, but what about the apple? Does the crust get soggy in
> the
> fridge? Is there an advantage to leaving it out? After the thread
> about going overboard in the sanitation department, I'm reluctant to
> ask
> the question, but I honestly don't know. What's the common sense
> answer?
>
> --Lia

People made apple pies long before there was 'frigid air' or
refrigerators.

A cool, clean, vermin free space should be sufficient to preserve your
pie for tomorrow's feast. Give it a wrap in plastic 'wrap' if you are
unsure and stick in the 'fridge. But even a loosely wrapped in a
plastic grocery bag, tightly sealed, should preserve it without
contamination for consumption tomorrow.

If you have a pie box or cake tin it can fit in so much the better. It
will exude certain fumes and if it is in a enclosed space they will be
reabsorbed back into the pie, if left in an less than air tight
container you will loose some small, subtle aspect that you probly wont
even notice.

Whether it gets 'soggy' in the 'fridge or not depends on your crust.
Many people use a pre baked crust for the apple pie and then you can
make a top crust that wont touch the apples. Some people use a 'criss
cross' of dough, while others apply the dough to the top of the cooked
apples. Personally, i like a 'soggy' crust, a moist crust, a crust
infused with the flavours of the pie.

If you are interested i have a apple upside down cake that is very good.

---
JL