Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

Default Aha! I did it - first time making BEEF JERKY :-)

Well, with the good info I got, and all the talk about this stuff, I
couldn't wait any longer to make some, so Friday on the way home from work
we stopped at our local little butchers, for a butchers at what beef they
had.

They had all sorts, but in the end, I chose part of a very nice looking
'salmon cut' silverside roast - I asked the assistant who was serving (not
either of the main two guys - they were in back) for about a pound of it
(£4.50 ish), and asked if he would cut it into 1/4 inch slices. While he was
at it, I noseied through the wares, then I looked up to see the bench
covered in little chopped up bits of beef, cubes FFS! Ugh, so anyway, I
explained myself again, and had him slice some from another piece for me,
which he did, over a half inch thick... I just took it as it was and left,
bit frustrated - the owner guys are really sharp and helpful!

Anyway, so when I got home, it was sharpen the living daylights out of the
chef's knife, and try to cut the slices in half with them flat on a chopping
board, which I managed to do a decent job of TF!

Once I'd got it all cut into strips, I made up the marinade. This was salt,
sugar, lemon juice (wanted lime but forgot to buy it), plenty black pepper,
good few glugs of my red hab, mango, green date, fresh fig and lime juice
chile sauce, small-ish splash of my oak and cherry wood smoked habanero hot
sauce, good pinch of ground coriander seed, about 1" grated fresh ginger, 4
cloves of garlic, grated (the garlic and ginger got pureed with the side of
the knife against a chopping board before going it) little bit of soy sauce
(about 2 tsp - we ran out at that point LOL!) - was a thick, concentrated
marinade, not very liquid at all, covered and put into the fridge, was going
to be for overnight but I couldn't bring myself to wait! So by 11 p.m. the
oven is up to temps (somewhere around 60 or 70C I guess - door wedged open
about 2" with a metal knife handle), and in goes the meat on 2 small wire
racks.

Smelled lovely!

I turned it in the morning at ~8 hours - it's looking good at this point,
but still quite wet inside. Tasty, though ',;~}~

I ended up removing it from the oven at about 14 hours - it was done
perfectly for us at that point, and since we knew this would not last, we
didn't need to worry if it was dry enough to keep or not.

It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from one
small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too tough or
anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!

One thing I'll do differently next time, is to finely grind the pepper with
pestle and mortar - the chunky pieces out of the twist grinder, once baked
for so long in the oven, were rock hard and kept getting stuck in our teeth.
Another thing is I will use far more soy next time, and think up a few other
flavour twists to go with it. Maybe soy, chile and hot mustard/wassabi, with
maple syrup or honey for the sweetness.

So anyway, big thanks to those that helped me along with this little quest -
I am very pleased with it!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

Shaun aRe wrote:

> ...Once I'd got it all cut into strips, I made up the marinade. This was salt,
>
> sugar, lemon juice (wanted lime but forgot to buy it), plenty black pepper,
> good few glugs of my red hab, mango, green date, fresh fig and lime juice
> chile sauce, small-ish splash of my oak and cherry wood smoked habanero hot
> sauce, good pinch of ground coriander seed, about 1" grated fresh ginger, 4
> cloves of garlic, grated (the garlic and ginger got pureed with the side of
> the knife against a chopping board before going it) little bit of soy sauce
> (about 2 tsp - we ran out at that point LOL!) - was a thick, concentrated
> marinade, not very liquid at all, covered and put into the fridge, was going
> to be for overnight but I couldn't bring myself to wait! So by 11 p.m. the
> oven is up to temps (somewhere around 60 or 70C I guess - door wedged open
> about 2" with a metal knife handle), and in goes the meat on 2 small wire
> racks.
> It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from one
> small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too tough or
> anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!
> One thing I'll do differently next time, is to finely grind the pepper with
> pestle and mortar - the chunky pieces out of the twist grinder, once baked
> for so long in the oven, were rock hard and kept getting stuck in our teeth.
> Another thing is I will use far more soy next time, and think up a few other
> flavour twists to go with it. Maybe soy, chile and hot mustard/wassabi, with
> maple syrup or honey for the sweetness.
> So anyway, big thanks to those that helped me along with this little quest -
> I am very pleased with it!
> Shaun aRe

A coupla things about keeping the jerky, should you be so lucky as to have any
leftover. Keep in a largish container with plenty of room for air. If the
cupboard is cool, it will keep nicely, but keep checking for mold, especially if
your jerky is not crispy-dried. I experimented with keeping in brown paper
lunchbags, stapled shut. Pretty good keeping, but still not enuf air circulation
and molded after 2 months. Have a few slices I vacuum sealed in the cabinet
coupla months ago, will check on those soon & report back. They *look* okay. I
generally keep my jerky in the freezer in convenient small bags to grab n' go.
What interesting combinations of marinade! I do not like much soy sauce as I
find a metallic aftertaste. And a little worcestershire is nice - adds a depth
to the flavor.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Shaun aRe wrote:

> Well, with the good info I got, and all the talk about this stuff, I
> couldn't wait any longer to make some, so Friday on the way home from work
> we stopped at our local little butchers, for a butchers at what beef they
> had.

<snip of success>
Congratulations Shaun! I'm so glad making jerky worked ok for you and
you were pleased with the results. Isn't is easy to make and so
enjoyable to eat? I liked your marinade too. Next time you will have
to make a bigger batch
Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

The Joneses wrote:

> Shaun aRe wrote:
>

>>...Once I'd got it all cut into strips, I made up the marinade. This was salt,
>>
>>sugar, lemon juice (wanted lime but forgot to buy it), plenty black pepper,
>>good few glugs of my red hab, mango, green date, fresh fig and lime juice
>>chile sauce, small-ish splash of my oak and cherry wood smoked habanero hot
>>sauce, good pinch of ground coriander seed, about 1" grated fresh ginger, 4
>>cloves of garlic, grated (the garlic and ginger got pureed with the side of
>>the knife against a chopping board before going it) little bit of soy sauce
>>(about 2 tsp - we ran out at that point LOL!) - was a thick, concentrated
>>marinade, not very liquid at all, covered and put into the fridge, was going
>>to be for overnight but I couldn't bring myself to wait! So by 11 p.m. the
>>oven is up to temps (somewhere around 60 or 70C I guess - door wedged open
>>about 2" with a metal knife handle), and in goes the meat on 2 small wire
>>racks.
>>It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from one
>>small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too tough or
>>anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!
>>One thing I'll do differently next time, is to finely grind the pepper with
>>pestle and mortar - the chunky pieces out of the twist grinder, once baked
>>for so long in the oven, were rock hard and kept getting stuck in our teeth.
>>Another thing is I will use far more soy next time, and think up a few other
>>flavour twists to go with it. Maybe soy, chile and hot mustard/wassabi, with
>>maple syrup or honey for the sweetness.
>>So anyway, big thanks to those that helped me along with this little quest -
>>I am very pleased with it!
>>Shaun aRe

> A coupla things about keeping the jerky, should you be so lucky as to have any
> leftover. Keep in a largish container with plenty of room for air. If the
> cupboard is cool, it will keep nicely, but keep checking for mold, especially if
> your jerky is not crispy-dried. I experimented with keeping in brown paper
> lunchbags, stapled shut. Pretty good keeping, but still not enuf air circulation
> and molded after 2 months. Have a few slices I vacuum sealed in the cabinet
> coupla months ago, will check on those soon & report back. They *look* okay. I
> generally keep my jerky in the freezer in convenient small bags to grab n' go.
> What interesting combinations of marinade! I do not like much soy sauce as I
> find a metallic aftertaste. And a little worcestershire is nice - adds a depth
> to the flavor.
> Edrena

Edrena, I've been making jerky for almost ever and have never had jerky
mold on me but then it never lasts very long around here. Jerky is
supposed to keep without refrigeration and mine will. The only thing
that I can think of that would cause molding is perhaps one of your
strips was not quite dried enough. The vacuum sealed bags should be
fine. When I make a large batch - 2 loads of 5 trays - I keep half the
batch in an air tight container in the cupboard and the other 1/2 vacuum
sealed in the fridge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Shaun aRe" > wrote:

> [...]
> perfectly for us at that point, and since we knew this would not last, we
> didn't need to worry if it was dry enough to keep or not.
>
> It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from one
> small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too tough or
> anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!
>
> One thing I'll do differently next time, is to finely grind the pepper with
> pestle and mortar - the chunky pieces out of the twist grinder, once baked
> for so long in the oven, were rock hard and kept getting stuck in our teeth.
> Another thing is I will use far more soy next time, and think up a few other
> flavour twists to go with it. Maybe soy, chile and hot mustard/wassabi, with
> maple syrup or honey for the sweetness.
>

> So anyway, big thanks to those that helped me along with this little quest -

Powdered white pepper..... ;-)

Well done! Sounds delish'.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jillie

I'll probably get booted out of the group for this but am going to take
the chance.

I make jerky using ground beef and this kit that I bought at Walmart.
http://tinyurl.com/8wa4j
It is so easy and so good. I use the leanest ground beef I can
find...usually 7 %...and have very little shrinkage. I usually add
more pepper to the mix, as we like it spicy..

I know this is cheating....but it works for us and maybe some others
might enjoy it.

jillie...who loves a good shortcut
Roseville, CA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
cathyxyz

Shaun aRe wrote:

> It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from one
> small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too tough or
> anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!

Welcome to the club.... Your marinade sounded very "inventive", but good

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave W.

In article .com>,
"jillie" > wrote:

> I'll probably get booted out of the group for this but am going to take
> the chance.
>
> I make jerky using ground beef and this kit that I bought at Walmart.
> http://tinyurl.com/8wa4j
> It is so easy and so good. I use the leanest ground beef I can
> find...usually 7 %...and have very little shrinkage. I usually add
> more pepper to the mix, as we like it spicy..
>
> I know this is cheating....but it works for us and maybe some others
> might enjoy it.
>
> jillie...who loves a good shortcut
> Roseville, CA

I don't know about the booting out thing. For my part I think its
refreshing that someone owns up to such atrocities. I may even go down
to the w-mart and try some of this myself ... of course, I won't admit
to the whole world what I've done. ;^)

Now, for your penance say ....

Regards,
Dave W.

--
Living in the Ozarks
For email, edu will do.

Regardless of what doesn't happen, there's always someone who knew it wouldn't.
R. Henry
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> [...]

> leftover. Keep in a largish container with plenty of room for air. If the
> cupboard is cool, it will keep nicely, but keep checking for mold,

especially if
> your jerky is not crispy-dried. I experimented with keeping in brown paper
> lunchbags, stapled shut. Pretty good keeping, but still not enuf air

circulation
> and molded after 2 months. Have a few slices I vacuum sealed in the

cabinet
> coupla months ago, will check on those soon & report back. They *look*

okay. I
> generally keep my jerky in the freezer in convenient small bags to grab n'

go.
> What interesting combinations of marinade! I do not like much soy sauce

as I
> find a metallic aftertaste. And a little worcestershire is nice - adds a

Thanks for the keeping tips. Maybe if I start with 10lb of raw meat next
time rather than 1lb, we'd have enough left to put some away ',;~}~

I use Worcestershire in marinades for other things, and would have likely
added a little to this, but we were out of that, too, heheheh...

Cheers!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> > Well, with the good info I got, and all the talk about this stuff, I
> > couldn't wait any longer to make some, so Friday on the way home from

work
> > we stopped at our local little butchers, for a butchers at what beef

they
> > had.

> <snip of success>
> Congratulations Shaun! I'm so glad making jerky worked ok for you and
> you were pleased with the results. Isn't is easy to make and so
> enjoyable to eat? I liked your marinade too. Next time you will have
> to make a *bigger batch

Thanks! I loved the stuff, really and so did Kath. We will make it again
there is no doubt <G!>

The marinade was indeed very tasty - that fruity sauce is delicious (very
hot), as is the smoked pepper one, fresh ginger I love, garlic too!

Still thinking on what to use next time ',;~}~

Cheers,

Shaun aRe - *I know, you want I should make a ton and send you some LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Shaun aRe" > wrote:
>
> > Well, with the good info I got, and all the talk about this stuff, I
> > couldn't wait any longer to make some, so Friday on the way home from

work
> > we stopped at our local little butchers, for a butchers at what beef

they
> > had.

<Schnupp!>

> > So anyway, big thanks to those that helped me along with this little

quest -
> > I am very pleased with it!
> >
> > ',;~}~
> >

> > Shaun aRe
> >

> Powdered white pepper..... ;-)

I prefer black, so I'd powder it msyelf in the pestly/mortar or coffee
grinder ta!

> Well done! Sounds delish'.
>
> Cheers!

Thanks, it was - bloody gorgeous in fact. I can imagine cutting a couple of
pieces into a camp-fire pot of an evening, and it being very useful, besides
eating it as-is!

',;~}~

Shaun aRe - P.s. - Tried to E-mail you from our new ADSL acct. at home last
night, by way of a bit of a test - it seemed to go eventually, but the
system is not working hardly at all yet (some issues, maybe with the indoor
extension cable(s), so I dunno if it went through to you though?!?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"jillie" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'll probably get booted out of the group

That it you're gone no second chances buh-byyeeeEEE!!!!

Heheheh...

> for this but am going to take
> the chance.
>
> I make jerky using ground beef and this kit that I bought at Walmart.
> http://tinyurl.com/8wa4j
> It is so easy and so good. I use the leanest ground beef I can
> find...usually 7 %...and have very little shrinkage. I usually add
> more pepper to the mix, as we like it spicy..
>
> I know this is cheating....but it works for us and maybe some others
> might enjoy it.
>
> jillie...who loves a good shortcut
> Roseville, CA

Seen mention of using ground meat on a few web-sites - hey - if it works for
you and you enjoy it, there's really no issue, IM(NS)HO!

Shaun aRe

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Shaun aRe

"cathyxyz" > wrote in message
> Shaun aRe wrote:
>

> > It didn't last until Sunday - Kath and I ate the bloody lot, apart from

one
> > small piece that BIL Simon tried. It was damned good stuff, not too

tough or
> > anything - I just gotta make some more soon - I need another fix LOL!

> Welcome to the club.... Your marinade sounded very "inventive", but good

Hey - I'm 100% inventive, 30% creative, 20% imaginative, 10% impro.

I'm also good at maths.

I'd like to try some long-soak marinade, like maybe a good 12 hours, with a
dark and fruity red wine as the marinade base, soon - bet that could be
interesting, although it'd likely be rather potent smelling while it was
drying ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - Then there's whiskey and ginger flavoured, with maple syrup! Bet
that'd be good....

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

Default Was: First time making beef jerky

The Joneses wrote:

> Shaun aRe wrote:
>
> > ...Once I'd got it all cut into strips, I made up the marinade. This was salt,
> >... It was damned good stuff, not too tough or anything

> I experimented with keeping in brown paper lunchbags ... Have a few slices I
> vacuum sealed Sep 20th -

The unrefrigerated, vacuum sealed product looks and tastes great. This will be my
way to go from now on, but as always with any home preserved food - check for mold,
smell & texture, before you eat it. For that matter, I've found mold on
commercial jerky a coupla times.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

Default Vacuum sealed beef jerky

I have been experimenting with the best way for me to keep beef
jerky. The brown paper lunchbags stapled check still allowed enuf air
or something to allow mold to form. I did dry that batch nearly to a
crisp. Freezing is okay, but the Orclet doesn't like the "freezer
plastic bag taste." Have a few slices I vacuum sealed and keeping
unrefrigerated since Sep 20th: tried a bite last night, looks, smells
& tastes great. This will be my way to go from now on, but as always
with any home preserved food - I'll check for mold, smell & texture,
before eating it. For that matter, I've found mold on commercial jerky
a coupla times.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Joneses

The Joneses wrote:

> Edrena

Sorry - posted twice...E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kswck

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> I have been experimenting with the best way for me to keep beef
> jerky. The brown paper lunchbags stapled check still allowed enuf air
> or something to allow mold to form. I did dry that batch nearly to a
> crisp. Freezing is okay, but the Orclet doesn't like the "freezer
> plastic bag taste." Have a few slices I vacuum sealed and keeping
> unrefrigerated since Sep 20th: tried a bite last night, looks, smells
> & tastes great. This will be my way to go from now on, but as always
> with any home preserved food - I'll check for mold, smell & texture,
> before eating it. For that matter, I've found mold on commercial jerky
> a coupla times.
> Edrena

Jerky should keep almost indefinately as long as the bag is selaed each time
a piece is taken out of it. Obviously, if it gets fuzzy, throw it away.
Vaccuum sealing it is great if you don't want it right away(I have several
batches in my cabinet vaccuum selaed).
Air is the killer to jerky. Keep in mind that it is not cooked-rather it is
dried-often at 145 degrees rather than higher-so bacteria can grow if not
properly sealed-hence the fuzz.
A vaccuum sealer is the best way to keep it almost forever. A sealed bag is
2nd best. DON'T keep it out.

If you are making a lot of it to keep throughout the winter-invest in a
vaccuum sealer. The cost of the sealer far outwieghs the cost of the meat
used.

Beef Jerky Time Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 16 04-05-2009 05:26 PM
Making jerky Bob Barbecue 23 01-06-2007 04:07 AM
Jerky making: Smoker/dehydrators D. Winsor Preserving 8 26-02-2005 02:59 PM
Better Cut of Beef for Jerky Bob Simon General Cooking 17 08-01-2005 08:49 PM
Deydrator for making jerky Knox Graham General Cooking 2 18-01-2004 09:29 AM