Bob Simon

Default Better Cut of Beef for Jerky

I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Katra

In article >,
Bob Simon > wrote:

> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?
>
> --
> Bob Simon
> remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Well trimmed Sirloin......
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Dimitri

"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

Yse top round or London Broil when it goes on Sale. Remove any fat -
partially freeze and cut diagonally across the grain.

Dimitri

Cubanpole

Bob Simon wrote:
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?
>
> --
> Bob Simon
> remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

I've had good luck with 'eye of the round'. Shaped right, and fairly
economical.
zxcvbob

Bob Simon wrote:
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

I like using rump roast for jerky. Top round might work better for you,
or full-cut round steaks (has the top, bottom and eye) since they are
easy to trim.

I haven't made jerky in a long time because beef isn't going on sale
here, and I won't pay full price for meat for making jerky.

Bob

zxcvbob

Bob Simon wrote:
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

I like using rump roast for jerky. Top round might work better for you,
or full-cut round steaks (has the top, bottom and eye) since they are
easy to trim.

I haven't made jerky in a long time because beef isn't going on sale
here, and I won't pay full price for meat for making jerky.

Bob
Bob Simon

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:28:08 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
>> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
>> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
>> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

>Yse top round or London Broil when it goes on Sale. Remove any fat -
>partially freeze and cut diagonally across the grain.
>
>Dimitri

Thanks for the tips.

I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies
Kwiter

Buffalo Steak

Kwiter

Buffalo Steak

Dimitri

"Bob Simon" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:28:08 GMT, "Dimitri" >

<Snip>

> Thanks for the tips.
>
> I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
> but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

I cut diagonally to get longer strips.

Cutting across the grain makes it easier to "rip apart". If you cut with the
grain you ( I ) get a very stringy piece if meat.

Dimitri

Steve Calvin

Kwiter wrote:
> Buffalo Steak

ooo, I'd like to try that!

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Pete Romfh

Bob Simon wrote:
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky.
> I'm happy with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd
> like less connective tissue. Is there an economical cut
> of beef that has less of this stuff, or is there a fast
> way to remove a good bit of it?

The Mexican markets here often have very thin cut flank steak on sale. It's
cut about 1/4 inch thick. Whenever I see it on sale I get a couple of pounds
(or more) and roll the steaks up with the grain running the length of the
roll prior to freezing. I can then partially thaw them, cut across the rolls
and have jerkey strips quite easily. I cut them and dump them in a large
ziplock bag along with the spices and some Morton's Tenderquick. A day or so
in the fridge it's ready for the dehydrator. I'm out of jerkey at the moment
so I'll hve to get some going this weekend. Often I pull it from the
dehydrator a bit early and finish it in the smoker to gain a more "woodsy"
flavor.
..
--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Bob Simon wrote:
> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky.
> I'm happy with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd
> like less connective tissue. Is there an economical cut
> of beef that has less of this stuff, or is there a fast
> way to remove a good bit of it?

The Mexican markets here often have very thin cut flank steak on sale. It's
cut about 1/4 inch thick. Whenever I see it on sale I get a couple of pounds
(or more) and roll the steaks up with the grain running the length of the
roll prior to freezing. I can then partially thaw them, cut across the rolls
and have jerkey strips quite easily. I cut them and dump them in a large
ziplock bag along with the spices and some Morton's Tenderquick. A day or so
in the fridge it's ready for the dehydrator. I'm out of jerkey at the moment
so I'll hve to get some going this weekend. Often I pull it from the
dehydrator a bit early and finish it in the smoker to gain a more "woodsy"
flavor.
..
--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Tom Scott

Thanks for the tips.

I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Depends on what you like----cutting with the grain makes for a more chewy
type of jerky. Here is a good recipe you might want to try; it is excellent
w/ deer meat:

Jerky for 3# meat

1/2 cup soy sauce {we use Kikkoman}
1/2 cup worchestershire {Lea & Perrins}
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp seasoned salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tbsp liquid smoke

Place sliced meat in above and let set overnight in fridge, turning the
container occasionally. [Leaving longer does not make it stronger.] Dry
however you like--we use a dehydrator.

Barbtail

> Bob Simon > wrote:

>> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
>> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
>> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
>> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

I use London broil (top sirloin I believe) for making jerky. It's pretty
gristle free. Slice it against the grain, marinate the slices, then dry 'em
out!

Barb Anne
Barbtail

> Bob Simon > wrote:

>> I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
>> with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
>> tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
>> stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

I use London broil (top sirloin I believe) for making jerky. It's pretty
gristle free. Slice it against the grain, marinate the slices, then dry 'em
out!

Barb Anne
Member

I've had good luck with 'eye of the round'. Shaped right, and fairly
economical.[/quote]

me too..my favorite........but expensive.......I am trying my first London broil on super sale today.......I may have to get my dentist to sharpen my dentures..............lol

Beef Jerky Devin2030 Historic 0 02-10-2012 05:31 PM
jerky - best cut of beef to use [email protected][_2_] Barbecue 18 19-06-2009 12:15 AM
beef jerky Shereign Weiser Preserving 5 03-06-2007 08:11 PM
Biltong (Beef Jerky) International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 08-05-2007 10:12 PM
Beef Jerky The Joneses Preserving 0 14-01-2006 04:38 AM