Posted to rec.food.cooking
~patches~

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 21:19:01 -0000, Arnold wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone managed to give up cigarettes and alcohol and never looked back?
>>>
>>> If so, I would be interested to know the techniques you used, coz I am
>>> struggling with 'will power'!
>>>

>>I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
>>Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

Two of our kids smoke something I wouldn't have thought they would do
given their grandmother died of lung cancer complications. She smoke 2
pack daily.

> Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for daily
> survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek, that if
> I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> don't leave home without it.
>
> kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it

kili, this reply is not meant to be in any way judgemental so please
don't take it that way. I can relate to being the major smart geek and
the humour acquired when drinking. IRL, I have always been painfully
shy & reserved preferring not to do much in the way of small talk so I
know where you're coming from. Just so you know this isn't meant to be
judgemental.

IMO anyone who drinks should take milk thistle to protect their liver.
However milk thistle cannot protect you from associated disorders due to
high alcohol intake - esophageal cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer
(higher risk for females), stomach cancer, GI disorders, malabsorption,
nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac
pathologies, neurological damage and the list goes on. I read where
many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
pleasant way to die. Last Feb we watched DDIL's sister age 30 die of
breast cancer. She drank socially on occasion so perhaps alcohol did
not play a role in her cancer or perhaps it did. A friend of mine who
is my age drinks almost daily. She was diagnosed with breast cancer
last March. Within one week she had one breast removed along with the
lymph nodes on that side - not a fun thing to do while undergoing
alcohol withdrawl. She just finished kemo but the prognosis is not good
and they may have to remove the other breast. Even then she may not
make it. The doctors told her the breast cancer was directly related to
her high alcohol consumption. Facing death at such a young age and know
you did it to yourself must be horrible! I really feel sorry for her.

Off to make dinner for myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
~patches~ > wrote:

> I read where
> many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> pleasant way to die.

While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
reducer.

As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
from terminal alchoholism.

THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.

If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
are. ;-)

My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...

I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.

Regular medical care is mandatory.
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> ~patches~ > wrote:
>
> > I read where
> > many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> > pleasant way to die.

> While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
> disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
> won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
> reducer.
>
> As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
> in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
> from terminal alchoholism.
>
> THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
> It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.
>
> If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
> that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
> medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
> are. ;-)
>
> My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...
>
> I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
> but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
> safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
> anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.
>
> Regular medical care is mandatory.
> --
> Om.

Yep, I agree, Kat. I'm healthy, TFM is healthy and you're healthy. As long
as we take our vitamins and our milk thistle, we're good to go. (TFM is a
functional alcoholic, too, BTW. And he's a framer and master carpenter for
multi-million dollar homes. One of the homes he's built was featured in
Coastal Living.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article > ,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > ~patches~ > wrote:
> >
> > > I read where
> > > many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> > > pleasant way to die.

> > While I won't argue with a possible increased risk of cancer, stress
> > disorders can also contribute to that at an even higher rate. For me (I
> > won't speak for Kili), alcohol at night after work is a major stress
> > reducer.
> >
> > As for bleeding out, I work in health care (the lab) and have been right
> > in the middle of trying to save the lives of those that bleed to death
> > from terminal alchoholism.
> >
> > THAT IS ALWAYS RELATED TO LIVER DAMAGE!!! ALWAYS!
> > It shows up in their lab work and I know how to read that stuff.
> >
> > If Kili (and I) take milk thistle and get regular lab work to watch for
> > that, bleeding and hematological disorders should be controlled. Annual
> > medical care is a must, as is letting your doctor know what your vices
> > are. ;-)
> >
> > My doctor knows and is also in the same boat so she understands...
> >
> > I'm not going to say that being a functional alcoholic is a good thing,
> > but I do think that, with proper care, it's a managable problem and
> > safer than taking the prescriptions that might be required to keep the
> > anxiety disorder under control that this type of behavior often treats.
> >
> > Regular medical care is mandatory.
> > --
> > Om.
> >

> Yep, I agree, Kat. I'm healthy, TFM is healthy and you're healthy. As long
> as we take our vitamins and our milk thistle, we're good to go. (TFM is a
> functional alcoholic, too, BTW. And he's a framer and master carpenter for
> multi-million dollar homes. One of the homes he's built was featured in
> Coastal Living.)
>
> kili

The "problem" that you and I suffer from accounts for a good 60% of the
population. There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:47:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
> stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

YEOW! I always thought small towns had approximately the same number
of bars and churches.... I bet yours is skewed toward bars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:47:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
> > stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

> YEOW! I always thought small towns had approximately the same number
> of bars and churches.... I bet yours is skewed toward bars.

It's a college town..... <lol>
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 21:21:20 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:47:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> >
> > > There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
> > > stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

> > YEOW! I always thought small towns had approximately the same number
> > of bars and churches.... I bet yours is skewed toward bars.

> It's a college town..... <lol>

LOL
Nuff said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Maverick

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:47:01 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
>> There is a reason that my very small town supports 8 liquor
>> stores. ;-) Plus 3 drive thru's.

> YEOW! I always thought small towns had approximately the same number
> of bars and churches.... I bet yours is skewed toward bars.

Not likely. My little town of 7000 people has almost 20 churches...but only
7 places to buy liquor.

YMMV,
Bret

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
> > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?

The magazine is a year old. Lemme see if I can find it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
> > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?

Ha! I finally found a website!

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/02/Ho...s_beauty.shtml

He did ALL the wood on that house. Some of it by eyeballing it because
there's no other way. Like little spires and things. He did the ceilings,
the mouldings, everything. He's damn good! :~D

kili <------ very proud of her hubby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>>
>> > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

>> Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
>>

> Ha! I finally found a website!
>
> http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/02/Ho...s_beauty.shtml
>
> He did ALL the wood on that house. Some of it by eyeballing it
> because there's no other way. Like little spires and things. He did
> the ceilings, the mouldings, everything. He's damn good! :~D
>
> kili <------ very proud of her hubby.

Kewl!!!

Reminds me of me! My boss used to tell me, "Andy, ya do good work! Not
much of it, but ya do good work!"

))

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:51:04 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> >

> Ha! I finally found a website!
>
> http://www.sptimes.com/2004/10/02/Ho...s_beauty.shtml
>
> He did ALL the wood on that house. Some of it by eyeballing it because
> there's no other way. Like little spires and things. He did the ceilings,
> the mouldings, everything. He's damn good! :~D
>
> kili <------ very proud of her hubby.

You should be... it's beautiful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
>
> > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?

SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to my
Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos

Just click on Coastal Living.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:18:10 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 23:37:37 GMT, kilikini wrote:
> >
> > > One of the homes he's built was featured in Coastal Living.

> > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> >

> SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to my
> Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
> http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos
>
> Just click on Coastal Living.

My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?

BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.

OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:18:10 GMT, kilikini wrote:

> > > Very kewl! Post a URL for an article or a picture please?
> > >

> > SF, I found pictures of the building of the house and I posted them to

my
> > Yahoo photo account. You can view them he
> > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ahuihou.geo/my_photos
> >
> > Just click on Coastal Living.
> >

> My goodnes! Coastal Living magazine? So, how did he get that gig?
> Did he "know someone" or was he just lucky?
>
> BTW: I signed up for a trial issue while I was there.
>
> OB Food: Recipes from Coastal Living
> http://www.coastalliving.com/coastal...14530,,00.html

He's just good. They needed a master carpenter to build the home. Bayfair
Homes found my hubby. He's the best in the area. Wish he got paid more for
his skill, but, oh well. I can still be proud of him anyway.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
kilikini

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:

back?

> >>I think giving up cigarettes will be harder than giving up alcohol.
> >>Nicotine is an extremely addictive substance!

> Two of our kids smoke something I wouldn't have thought they would do
> given their grandmother died of lung cancer complications. She smoke 2
> pack daily.
> >

> > Nope, for me it's alcohol. I gave up a nicotine and actually <gasp!>
> > cocaine habit with no problems, no looking back. Alcohol I need for

daily
> > survival. I discovered back in high school as the major smart geek,

that if
> > I drank, I acquired a sense of humor which, thusly, accrued friends. I
> > don't leave home without it.
> >
> > kili <-----functional alcoholic and not ashamed of it
> >

> kili, this reply is not meant to be in any way judgemental so please
> don't take it that way. I can relate to being the major smart geek and
> the humour acquired when drinking. IRL, I have always been painfully
> shy & reserved preferring not to do much in the way of small talk so I
> know where you're coming from. Just so you know this isn't meant to be
> judgemental.
>
> IMO anyone who drinks should take milk thistle to protect their liver.
> However milk thistle cannot protect you from associated disorders due to
> high alcohol intake - esophageal cancer, mouth cancer, breast cancer
> (higher risk for females), stomach cancer, GI disorders, malabsorption,
> nutritional deficiencies, diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac
> pathologies, neurological damage and the list goes on. I read where
> many alcoholics die by bleeding out which doesn't sound like a very
> pleasant way to die. Last Feb we watched DDIL's sister age 30 die of
> breast cancer. She drank socially on occasion so perhaps alcohol did
> not play a role in her cancer or perhaps it did. A friend of mine who
> is my age drinks almost daily. She was diagnosed with breast cancer
> last March. Within one week she had one breast removed along with the
> lymph nodes on that side - not a fun thing to do while undergoing
> alcohol withdrawl. She just finished kemo but the prognosis is not good
> and they may have to remove the other breast. Even then she may not
> make it. The doctors told her the breast cancer was directly related to
> her high alcohol consumption. Facing death at such a young age and know
> you did it to yourself must be horrible! I really feel sorry for her.
>
> Off to make dinner for myself.

I hear you, Patches, and I thank you for your concern. OTOH, I'm a very
well-adjusted, happy individual and I'm not worried about it. I'll quit in
time, I know I will. (Gosh, you all learned a lot about me in this thread,
didn't you!?!?) I'm more concerned about dinner tomorrow. We're on the end
of a paycheck and I'm out of ideas....... I'm tired of salads and fried
chicken. On a good note, my hubby bought me some large curd cottage cheese
(I LOVE that stuff!) the other day - it's just about gone; I devoured it
today. :~)

kili

Should meat be taxed like alcohol and cigarettes? Dr. Jai Maharaj[_2_] Vegan 15 21-04-2015 03:50 PM
Rediscovered alcohol addiction recovery technique Samuel Harris Wine 5 02-03-2013 04:53 PM
"Bankrupt" California: OK for illegals to use welfare checks tobuy cigarettes and alcohol walt tonne General Cooking 9 21-05-2011 01:57 AM
cigarettes burton General Cooking 0 12-03-2008 02:42 PM
Re-Addiction Earl Coffee 1 15-10-2005 05:08 PM